Learning and Growing – How College Experiences Change One’s Personal Philosophy

By Griffin Monahan, SED 2016

It is common for college students studying different areas to compare their courses, workload, and challenges, and the same is true at Boston University. When I engage in these types of conversations with my friends in other schools at BU, I often find myself with greater differences, rather than similarities, in part due to the uniqueness of the School of Education. The largest of these differences is what I would also argue is the most important: that being the opportunity to define myself through my courses. I have found a constant sense of happiness during my undergraduate career as I have been provided the chance to not simply learn, but grow as well.

Grow? Grow in height? Grow a beard? By grow, I speak of personal philosophy. In defining one’s self, a college experience changes from learning content to learning how to think differently. I have been blessed to have that chance to participate in this type of introspection. This is one of the greatest strengths of Boston University’s School of Education. I am not advocating that all students major in philosophy and classical studies¬– I have only taken one philosophy course and that course was not one of the experiences of growth that I have been speaking of. What I am attempting to articulate is the need for courses to be elevated from a classroom of learning facts to a classroom of growing in identity, thought, and metacognition. For a cost of nearly $60,000, should not our courses be of the most value to us? So far I have found courses that force me to learn facts and regurgitate them onto exams as lacking in value compared to the courses that forced me to contemplate who I am, how I would address an issue, why I want to teach. Many of my courses through SED have pushed me to consider philosophies and create my own in order to be the best educator I can be. I believe that all schools at BU should drive students to take part in such a process. Aren’t we worth it?

Photo courtesy of CampusGhanta.com

*Griffin Monahan is a sophomore at Boston University School of Education studying social studies education.

Maggie posted on February 26, 2014 at 10:57 pm

OMG I totally agree!!! I wish UCONN would change my life like this! #tranfserring

Liz Moynah posted on March 10, 2014 at 7:16 pm

You are going to be an awesome teacher.