One Math Class – The Value of a Single Class

By Sophie Klein, SED 2016

Math. If you cringed seeing that word then you are like me. When I found out that I only had to take one math class for all of college I was ecstatic. After having countless years of horrible math class experiences I was excited to finally get math class done with. When it came time for that one math class, I started to get anxious. I was nervous because I know how important math is and how a good teacher can make all the difference, I did not want to be that bad math teacher that everyone remembers.

photo credit: rbbaird via photopin cc

photo credit: rbbaird via photopin cc

When I told my friends about how the only math class I had to take was on how to teach children in preschool through second grade how to do math they laughed and said “That’s so easy.” Wrong. It is hard, and I figured that out quickly. However, instead of being discouraged like I usually am in math classes I was determined and interested in what I was learning. I never thought I would say this, but math was my favorite class last semester.

I learned about ideas that seem to be simple, but are actually so complex. I learned a whole new way of doing math, and I loved it. Instead of memorizing facts, I am learned why math rules work and how they work. Rather than looking only for the correct answer, my class learned why the answer is correct. I never thought a math class could be so interesting. I also learned how differently each student thinks about math, and why it is important to understand where certain rules in math come from, so I can help students understand their mistakes. By really going into detail about simple topics, such as addition, I now understand what I am teaching and why it is important for me to know.

I genuinely feel confident now in my abilities to teach math when I become a teacher. I know that because of this class and professor I will be able to effectively teach my students so they understand what they are learning. Although some students are internally motivated to learn, others take a little more encouragement. I think that knowledgeable, confident, and enthusiastic teachers are what students need and deserve in subjects that may be harder than others. As a student who has always struggled with math, I was lucky enough last semester to have a professor that possessed those qualities and showed me that math is not as scary as it seems.

*Sophie Klein is a sophomore at Boston University School of Education studying early childhood education.

wikipedia posted on November 25, 2014 at 6:41 pm

Les Crédits et les Points FIFA servent à acheter des joueurs ou des packs sur le mode “Ultimate Team”, cependant la plupart du temps il faudra débourser de l’argent pour obtenir ces choses et ça coûte assez cher, pourquoi payer un jeux à 60 euros et encore avoir à payer une fortune pour avoir des joueurs virtuel? C’est vraiment beaucoup, mais nous allons vous aider à obtenir des Points FIFA 15 Gratuit et des Crédits FIFA 15 Gratuit.