On Tuesday, December 14th, the Social Media Communicators met to discuss blogging and blogger relations. Lauren Davalla and Thomas Testa of Public Relations presented on a proposed blogger relations campaign, including how to find influential bloggers in both broad and niche subjects and how to pitch bloggers productively and respectfully. They then opened the floor for discussion.
Some key takeaways included:
- eMarketer estimates that by 2014, 60% of internet users will read blogs at least monthly (from 45% in 2008)
- Lines between blogging, microblogging and social networking are continuing to blur
- Facebook still leads the way in top method to promote blog content (according to Technorati’s State of the Blogosphere 2010)
- Fostering & maintaining relationships with local influential bloggers is an ongoing priority for Public Relations
- One of the best ways to get BU noticed by bloggers is to create rich, relevant content (blogging ourselves — pull vs. push)
If you are a member of the Social Media Communicators Google Group, you can now access the full presentation. We look forward to hearing more from our SMC’s as they develop their own blogs. If you are interested in speaking to the group about your school’s or department’s blogging efforts, please let us know.
Image courtesy Kristina B on Flickr.