Maintaining BU’s brand identity standards on social networks

10-2088-ICESCULPT-241In last month’s BU Social Media Communicators meeting, Nathaniel Boyle of Interactive Design presented on the challenges of maintaining BU’s brand identity standards (outlined at bu.edu/brand) on social networks. I asked if he would discuss some of these guidelines here. Nat, take it away!

Brand standards can be tricky and at times seem heavy-handed. The instinct is often to do your best within the guidelines established. Despite the best of intentions, this approach almost always winds up violating the guidelines.

In order to avoid degradation, distortion, or improper spacing of the BU logo or seal, and to maintain a suite of social presences that are presentably cross-branded across the University without any confusion as to what’s official and what’s not, we have established the following social media brand guidelines for University-wide usage. Following these guidelines will ensure you’re representing the University on third-party social media platforms appropriately.

Here’s the approach you should take:

• Consider your avatars, profile and background images to be extensions of your web presence.
  • If you do not have a visual aesthetic to your web presence, consider social your opportunity to give yourself a consistent, recognizable look and feel.
  • These are your social media accounts, so please consider the social “personality” you want your aesthetic to convey. And don’t be afraid to have fun!

To make this easier, we’ve compiled a series of themes that you can download. Each theme includes a Twitter avatar, Twitter background, and Facebook profile picture. I would recommend at least downloading one to get a sense of visual identity consistency, and also image sizes, etc.

And never forget the most important rule: DON’T use a BU logo as your graphical representation, unless it appears in a photo.

Arlen Feist posted on June 12, 2013 at 4:37 am

Hi, Neat post. There’s a problem together with your website in internet explorer, could check this… IE nonetheless is the market chief and a big component to other folks will miss your wonderful writing because of this problem.

Gail Yadao posted on July 6, 2013 at 9:46 pm

I¡¦ve been exploring for a little bit for any high-quality articles or weblog posts in this sort of house . Exploring in Yahoo I finally stumbled upon this website. Studying this info So i am happy to show that I’ve an incredibly just right uncanny feeling I came upon exactly what I needed. I so much for sure will make certain to don¡¦t fail to remember this website and give it a look regularly.

Pete Palis posted on July 12, 2013 at 2:44 pm

I intended to create you the very small word to finally thank you very much again considering the beautiful pointers you’ve featured above. It has been incredibly generous of you to offer unhampered precisely what a few people would have offered for sale for an electronic book to end up making some bucks for themselves, primarily considering the fact that you could possibly have done it in case you decided. The strategies likewise served as a good way to realize that some people have the identical dreams just like my own to understand much more when it comes to this problem. I’m certain there are a lot more pleasant times in the future for individuals that looked over your website.

find out more posted on July 20, 2013 at 7:04 am

Hi! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this site? I’m getting tired of WordPress because I’ve had problems with hackers and I’m looking at options for another platform. I would be fantastic if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.