On Thursday, we will continue with some grammar, have a listening quiz (something that you have never heard before, so you don’t need to worry about studying. . .), and watch the last part of Fever Pitch.
Bring your Fenway Park question sheet (with answers to as many of the questions as you got during our tour) and the grammar packet. Finish exercise 7 on p. 12.
Keep cool–see you soon!
9–9:50 Class in EOP 269
9:55 BU Shuttle Bus to Kenmore Square
10:15 Assemble in gift shop for tour
10:30–11:15 Tour of Fenway Park
11:30 Lunch in Kenmore Square (optional)
1:00 BU Shuttle return to CELOP
Please bring a pen or pencil and money for lunch (about $12–15)
Finish writing questions on superlative/present perfect worksheet.
Assignments due Friday, August 12:
1. Write two brief conversations between two people. Each conversation will have at least eight lines. Use the text book pages 36, 37, 38 and the handout sheet for inspiration. One conversation should be polite, and one should be impolite. Use questions and answers.
2. Reading: text book page 40, section 1, A – Eavesdroppers. Prepare to discuss what you would do in each situation.
Due Tuesday, August 9:
News of the Day: Victor, Maravilla
Text page 36 Activity #1, read and match the pictures.
Prepare your vocabulary log for a check on Tuesday, quiz on Wednesday
Have a conversation in English with someone and prepare to tell the class about it.
• Passages, p. 55 CD 2 track 14
1. Listen again and finish the sentence completions on the worksheet that we were
using in class. (Don’t look at the transcript!)
2. Fill in the blanks on the homework sheet.
•”The Battle of Dogs vs. Cat”
1. Read again.
2. Complete worksheet. For each category be prepared to give an example from the
article that shows the “winner” and write a comparative sentence. Note that
categories are nouns, so you need to use an adjective form in your sentences.
•(Optional) Fill in appropriate comparative and superlative forms in Practice 6, p. 5.
1. Listen to the selection from Passages (p. 30, track 22) again and fill in the blanks in the worksheet.
2. Watch the part of Fever Pitch that we saw in class today. (optional–let me know if you would like to borrow the DVD)
Have a wonderful weekend!
*Will Monday be a lucky day?
By Lesley Andrews
1. Read text page 21; complete mind map; read paragraph.
2. Write paragraph about a city on worksheet. Use a topic sentence and several supporting sentences. Write a conclusion.
1. Prepare for a quiz on adjectives used to describe personalities
2. Search on-line for a brief description of a world city. You only need one or two paragraphs. Bring to class either a printed out copy or a hand-written copy of the description. Prepare to read it aloud to the class. Note the web address.
3. Study the map of the United States and fill in the entire state names.
4. News of the Day assignments: Wednesday – Eduardo
Friday – Victor
1. Listen to the passage on p. 10 of Passages. (see link on home page) Fill in the blanks on the worksheet.
2. (optional) Watch the first thirty minutes of Fever Pitch with English subtitles.