Empathy revisited

We often find ourselves judging people with addictions.  On the commute to work, we shake our heads at the man on the train who can’t seem to get a grip (literally) because he’s been drinking early and falls on to a fellow passenger. He doesn’t even say sorry. The stigma is real – I work in this field, and my own biases come out when I see a pregnant woman smoking or putting that fifth bag into her bag.  I am aware of it and try to check it, but its there and its not always easy to put aside. But if we go back to that Sesame Street video for a second and try to feel what that person is going through, maybe we can develop empathy for that person. I’m sure she doesn’t want to be drinking with a baby on the way. I’m sure she’s been lectured about what she’s doing to that child. It must be hard. But sometimes it’s hard not to get mad at her even though we know its not our place. We feel like we’re getting mad for that unborn child, right?

In  trainings and sometimes at meetings, I always ask the question – can you teach the empathy (I usually say you can’t because I like to play devil’s advocate). I’ve got a lot of interesting responses over time – both in the yay and the nay. But one common one that says, yes you can teach empathy, and the one I really believe in is listening to and understanding people’s stories. Narratives teach us a lot and help us understand. Even fictional stories and understanding motivations and experiences of a character can establish new understanding. Sometimes if we just try to understand what that’s person’s going through (quickly, yes, I know about the American health system), if we just try to hear their story even if all it might not be true or has an angle to it or is all over the place and we don’t have time for all over the place, maybe we can take better care of our patients. I have no evidence or odds ratio to prove this but I’ve been a human for awhile so I guess there’s that.

Anyway, the point of all this rambling is to share a story I read recently that addresses the very bias I owned earlier in the post.   I’m sure you’ve heard similar and there may be more powerful ones out there but I found it appropriate because just earlier on the morning that I read it, I saw a pregnant woman nodding out, almost falling to the ground outside Andrew Station. I shook my head in disgust and kept walking. Then, as if a blessing, I came in to work and someone sent me a link to this story. Its a story of addiction and also of recovery.  Knowing that its hard to make changes immediately and on demand, that addiction is a disease and that recovery is possible helps me deal with my own biases.

Enough already…here’s the link:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/05/06/310087402/addicted-and-pregnant-the-most-heart-wrenching-experience-of-my-life

-Deric

ASDF posted on December 26, 2023 at 9:55 am

This kind of publish appears to get yourself a lot of visitors. How will you acquire traffic to that? It provides a great unique twist upon issues. I guess having something traditional or perhaps substantial to give info on is the central aspect. adhd paralysis

ASDF posted on December 26, 2023 at 10:48 am

Lindsay Lohan’s Court Appearance – This Is Sad Excellent goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you are just too magnificent. I really like what you’ve acquired here, certainly like what you are stating and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still take care of to keep it wise. I cant wait to read far more Lindsay Lohan’s Court Appearance – This Is Sad again from you. Thanks For Share . agave tequila

SFETF posted on December 26, 2023 at 11:27 am

I certainly enjoyed the method that you explore your experience and perception of the area of interest Tequila Rose

john harwward posted on January 3, 2024 at 5:40 am

Cruise is back and this time he brought he comedic chops with him. autism association of western australia shenton park wa

jack posted on January 9, 2024 at 2:40 am

This valuable appearances totally proper. Each one of minimal details have decided thanks to large number with practical experience simple awareness. I’m just excited them just as before significantly. danagg

jack posted on January 11, 2024 at 3:37 am

I adore all of the threads, When i relished, I had appreciate considerably more facts on this, considering it truly is rather satisfying., Love suitable for presenting. Convert Roku Direct Publisher to SDK

jack posted on January 17, 2024 at 8:20 am

I cannot thank you fully for the posts on your web page. I know you set a lot of time and effort into them and really hope you know how deeply I enjoy it. I hope I’m able to do something identical man or woman someday. scbet88

Hamza posted on March 28, 2024 at 1:13 am

I must say, I think your really on point with this, I can’t say I am completely on the same page, but its not big of a deal . garden decking installers

Hamza posted on March 30, 2024 at 2:49 am

Is any person here with facebook as well as want to friend myself? What exactly are your own twitting names, it is a excellent submit by the way. Also is there a good RSS feed I could not find it? teddy

Hamza posted on March 31, 2024 at 3:26 am

There are a couple of intriguing points at some point on this page but I do not determine if they all center to heart. There’s some validity but I will take hold opinion until I check into it further. Great post , thanks and then we want a lot more! Added onto FeedBurner too 황제투어