Nuuk

Nuuk's historic old town

Nuuk's historic old town

I began my journey in Nuuk, Greenland’s capital and––with 17,000 residents––by far its biggest city. My first impression was that it was warm––warmer, anyway, than I had feared––and after locating my bag (there were only about twenty of us on the twin-propeller plane from Reykjavik) I hiked down the hill from the airport to a rocky patch of grass along the Labrador Sea, where wild camping seemed possible. With a traditional turf hut  built into the hillside on one side of my tent and a view of the craggy Sermitisiaq mountain across the water on the other, it all seemed pretty idyllic. But I learned the hard way that weather changes quickly in Greenland––so much so that long underwear, fleece, a wool hat and gloves aren’t always going to cut it inside a sleeping bag. The next morning I packed up quickly and found a warm bed inside the Godthåbshallen––a cavernous youth sports complex overlooking a graffiti-covered skate park. The “hostel” is really a bunk room that accommodates visiting sports teams. Thankfully, no matches were scheduled during my visit.

View from the Godthåbshallen

View from the Godthåbshallen

Nuuk was founded in 1728 by a Danish missionary whose effigy looms large over the picturesque old quarter of the town. It only really boomed in the 1950s, when Denmark made an effort to modernize the country by erecting enormous concrete housing blocks, which are now in a pretty sorry state. The contrast between the quaint historical center––where it’s still possible to see families walking on Sunday in traditional embroidered sweaters, white kamik boots, and sealskin pants––and the looming, paint-peeled housing projects is pretty stark. It’s a tension that’s apparent all over town, from the austere cemetery with naked white crosses that sits next to a fast food restaurant, to the apartment buildings where reindeer antlers hang beside TV antennas.

Old and new in Nuuk

Old and new in Nuuk

For me, the twin highlights of Nuuk were the Katuaq Cultural Center and the National Museum. The former––a sleek, modern building that curves along the street like a wood and glass wave––accessibly blends modern Danish design with a more traditional Greenlandic aesthetic. The successful commingling transcends the architecture, too––the coffeeshop is a warm and welcoming place to read Politiken or gather large families for lunch. In a town where national/colonial tensions are sometimes palpable, Katuaq felt–to an outsider, anyway––like a space that defused some of that.

Protest outside Katuaq Cultural Center

Protest outside Katuaq Cultural Center

The other real highlight is the small but bountiful National Museum, which was full of artifacts and displays that are going to be useful for my project (I lingered for hours taking notes). The highlight, featured some time ago on a National Geographic cover, are the Qilakitsoq mummies, a group of eerily well preserved 15th-century Inuit, wrapped in furs. But there are many other fascinating relics, covering everything from Pre-Dorset cultures to 18th-century whaling to the post-1950s period of modernization.

One of the Qllakitsoq mummies

One of the Qllakitsoq mummies

Rumors of a strike down by the docks left me uncertain just where my ferry would leave from, and I spent my last morning racing between harbors. I successfully found the tiny boat, though, and headed north to Maniitsoq.

50 Comments

TC Lottery posted on April 4, 2023 at 12:34 pm

This can be also a fairly beneficial writing that any of us absolutely beloved considering. Possibly not on a daily basis which often experience the likelihood to get a solution.

www.june2020.org posted on April 7, 2023 at 3:56 pm

I wish to show thanks to this writer just for bailing me out of this type of challenge. Right after researching throughout the world wide web and obtaining methods which were not beneficial, I was thinking my life was done. Existing minus the strategies to the difficulties you have fixed through the short post is a serious case, as well as the kind which may have negatively damaged my career if I hadn’t discovered your web site. That know-how and kindness in taking care of everything was vital. I don’t know what I would have done if I hadn’t come across such a point like this. It’s possible to at this time relish my future. Thanks very much for the expert and result oriented help. I won’t think twice to propose your web blog to anybody who needs guidelines on this issue.

camarillo pool construction posted on April 8, 2023 at 4:44 pm

garden sheds can provide comfort specially in the hot summer months**

business coaching posted on April 9, 2023 at 12:44 pm

Couldn´t be written any kind of better. Reading this post reminds me of my old room mate! He always kept talking about this. I definitely will forward that article to him. Extremely certain he can possess a good read. Thanks for sharing!

slot bonanza888 posted on April 9, 2023 at 2:15 pm

In short you have acquired an improved possiblity to match breast augmentation aventura his or her associate due to the greater lots of daters. It is additionally less complicated to satisfy folks on the web thanks to on the internet date web-sites as well as boards.

ChatGPT Login posted on April 9, 2023 at 7:26 pm

Introducing ChatGPT AI Chat GPT, the ultimate AI chatbot and writing assistant
app powered by advanced ChatGPT technology. This innovative app is here to

fiewin apk posted on April 10, 2023 at 12:52 pm

Cool sites… […]we came across a cool site that you might enjoy. Take a look if you want[…]……

mantrimall app posted on April 10, 2023 at 2:17 pm

Hello there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found that it’s truly informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels. I will be grateful if you continue this in future. Many people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

pierrebastientapes posted on April 10, 2023 at 3:46 pm

Good Nice knowledge gaining article. This post is really the best on this valuable topic.

قصائد العرب posted on April 11, 2023 at 7:18 am

The website’s collection of poems is vast, covering a wide range of topics, themes, and emotions. From love and loss to war and politics, the on Arabpoems.com are a reflection of the rich tapestry of Arab culture and history.

download Gb whatsapp posted on April 12, 2023 at 12:54 pm

An interesting and useful topic you can also see.

https://8maple.biz/ posted on April 12, 2023 at 1:03 pm

真正為用戶帶來最舒適順暢的線上觀看體驗楓林網楓林網,楓林網电影,韓劇線上看,台劇線上看,韓劇線上看,電影線上看,陸劇線上看, 影音視頻播放清晰流暢,操作界面簡單友好

gimytv posted on April 12, 2023 at 1:17 pm

更新海量高清 真來最舒適順暢的線上觀看體驗

陸劇 線上看 posted on April 12, 2023 at 1:28 pm

吳春怡,韓承羽,姬晨牧,任希鴻,馮玉璽,白慶琳,李星昊

Dr. Nader Motallebizadeh posted on April 13, 2023 at 5:32 pm

thanks

Hossein Karimi posted on April 13, 2023 at 5:33 pm

Hossein Rahimi posted on April 13, 2023 at 5:33 pm

good job

Hossein Karimi posted on April 13, 2023 at 5:35 pm

well done

비트겟 posted on April 13, 2023 at 6:47 pm

There is noticeably a lot to realize about this. I suppose you made certain nice points in features also.

Finans posted on April 14, 2023 at 9:51 am

I was very curious, it is a city that must be seen.

Visa gift cards posted on April 14, 2023 at 9:53 am

I was wondering about both reykjavik and nuuk city.

ردیاب posted on April 15, 2023 at 2:28 am

ردیاب های خودروریی فانوسان .

toto365pro posted on April 15, 2023 at 3:13 am

i’ve never wanted a happy ending for a pair on missedconnections more than now. i hope they find each other. and what book did you gleam inspiration from? the mini-illustrations on the boy and girl are adorable. is that a red lamb i see?

sportstototvcom posted on April 15, 2023 at 3:14 am

I just love this blog and this piece of art. It’s just so romantic and life affirming. When all we’re ever fed in the media is 99% bad news isn’t it great to see a city and it’s people portrayed as wonderful beings. I just really hope they get together!

Katha Ankahee posted on April 15, 2023 at 6:48 am

Kathe Ankahee is a hindi serial drama. you watch on sony channel..

موزیک posted on April 15, 2023 at 7:00 am

Astro GemPak posted on April 15, 2023 at 10:44 am

Gempak (previously known as Astro Gempak) is a Malay digital entertainment platform
owned by MEASAT Broadcast Network Systems Sdn Bhd (Astro) and Astro free online hd.

Pinoy Channel posted on April 15, 2023 at 10:05 pm

Pinoy TV Flix are most popular sources of Filipino entertainment content that
cater to Filipino audiences worldwide. Pinoy TV is a term that online pinoy tv.

Turkey e visa posted on April 18, 2023 at 1:32 am

Good morning everyone, you all are doing great. I have great news for all of you. The Turkey e Visa is an electronic travel authorization that allows eligible travelers to enter Turkey for up to 90 days within a 180-day period. The application process is straightforward and can be completed online. Once approved, the e-Visa is sent via email. Before applying, make sure to check the eligibility criteria and provide all required documents.

Past Question posted on April 18, 2023 at 5:22 am

Thanks for the article. It was very helpful

카지노사이트추천 posted on April 19, 2023 at 11:37 am

The when I read a weblog, I’m hoping which it doesnt disappoint me about this. Come on, man, Yes, it was my choice to read, but I personally thought youd have something fascinating to say. All I hear is actually a handful of whining about something that you could fix when you werent too busy trying to find attention.

seo작업 posted on April 19, 2023 at 11:44 am

This is a great web page, would you be involved in doing an interview regarding just how you created it? If so e-mail me!

Chat Gpt Login posted on April 20, 2023 at 8:36 am

Modern language model called ChatGPT was created by OpenAI. ChatGPT is a potent text-based AI assistant that can comprehend English language and produce responses that sound human. It can produce coherent and contextually relevant responses to a variety of prompts and questions because it has been trained on a massive amount of text data.

Çorlu Havalandırma posted on April 20, 2023 at 5:53 pm

Havalandırma Sistemleri, işyerlerinde ve evlerde iç mekan hava kalitesini artırır. Havalandırma seçimi yaparken enerji tasarrufu yapmak için uygun seçenekler sunar.

straattheater posted on April 25, 2023 at 2:45 am

Your writing is fine and gives food for thought. I hope that I’ll have more time to read your articles . Regards. I wish you that you frequently publish new texts and invite you to greet me

furniture photography posted on April 25, 2023 at 3:19 am

you’ve got an important weblog right here! would you wish to make some invite posts on my blog?

toto365pro posted on April 26, 2023 at 6:24 am

I really like how you incorporated the graphic novel element throughout the painting, having the comic panels as part of their clothing! Love it!

sportstototvcom posted on April 26, 2023 at 6:25 am

Daniel Smith posted on April 27, 2023 at 1:25 am

Great Read, Great Content. Keep up the good work.

Alex Jackson posted on April 28, 2023 at 6:49 am

I am Alex Jackson here. We think that vacationing should be enjoyable, not stressful. To ensure the smoothest possible travel for you, we provide a variety of practical features. For your enjoyable journey. If you are looking for How do I Speak to Someone at Spirit Airlines?

Desconto Safira posted on April 28, 2023 at 11:44 am

Aside from the standard penned blogging site feedback, you will also come across some audio feedback for a web site. Whatever your occupation is, you will uncover back links from the blogging site feedback for a myriad of blogs. The blogs are even composed for just a certain occupation.

Chat GPT Sign Up posted on April 29, 2023 at 9:15 am

The artificial intelligence research lab OpenAI has released GPT-4, the latest version
of the groundbreaking AI system that powers ChatGPT The artificial intelligence (AI)..

https://trendable.co.uk/ posted on April 29, 2023 at 12:07 pm

you employ a fantastic blog here! want to have invite posts on my own weblog?

אתר סדרות טי וי החדש posted on April 29, 2023 at 12:48 pm

I discovered your blog post site on the internet and check many of your early posts. Keep the good operate. I merely additional your Rss to my MSN News Reader. Looking for forward to reading more on your part down the road!…

Tibbi Cihaz Nakliyesi posted on April 29, 2023 at 5:39 pm

liftli taşıma ve kamyonet

İstanbul- Ege Bölgesi Nakliyat posted on April 29, 2023 at 5:39 pm

istanbul ege nakliyat

Arabiški kvepalai posted on April 30, 2023 at 3:14 am

great post, I enjoy it. I also buy ambien a lot. You need to buy ambien as well. I will travel to the whole USA and buy ambien there and in other areas to. i will be downtown, you know for what ? just to buy ambien. I will sleep a ton immediately after buy ambien and that it usually make me feel so very good. I will be buy ambien in a pharmacy or a different locations, no matter what the existence consider me .

football broadcast posted on April 30, 2023 at 8:48 am

Your blog has the same post as another author but i like your better.*’”,:

UFC AI picks posted on April 30, 2023 at 11:22 am

my baby enjoys playing on the baby swing, baby swings can really make your baby happy..

reclaim alternatives posted on May 1, 2023 at 1:06 pm

Leslie Dixon wrote the screenplay and deserves a lot of credit because it is mainly a dialogue driven film, however it is probably fair to assume that all of the credit goes to Alan Glynn who wrote the novel which this based on.