Categories
Uncategorized

Creating a Portfolio Landing Page with Bootstrap 4 and Firebase

Home page

Home page nav bar

Problem: I can post my projects on this WordPress blog, but it isn’t fully customizable because the features are limited by the university’s settings.  

Solution: I’ll create a static landing page that allows me to customize the appearance of my portfolio site while still using the WordPress to host my projects. I’ll be using the Bootstrap 4 framework for styling and firebase to host this static landing page.  

Additional option: I will use google domains to attach a domain to this site. 

Steps: 

1. Choose what sections your landing page should have. 
  2. Create a rough sketch of what the page should look like including buttons, titles, menu bars. This is called wireframing.  
  3. (Optional) You can choose to use a design tool like Figma to turn your wireframe into a design (Figma also produces the CSS code for you).  
  4. You can use the example components from bootstraps sample pages and customize them yourself to match your wireframe. 
  5. You’ll need to login to Firebase using your Gmail account. From there you can create a new project and follow these steps to get the hosting set up. 
  6. If you can access the sample landing page using the URL from the Firebase console, drop the Bootstrap 4 code you created earlier into the new Firebase project directory.  
  7. Save changes and refresh the site you should see your landing page by clicking on the firebase URL now. 
  8.  (Optional) Now you can customize your domain name by following these steps.