Boston in the Fall

One recent Sunday afternoon, I left the law library, in need of a study break. I walked the footbridge over Storrow Drive to the path that runs along the Charles River. It was the weekend of the Head of the Charles, the world’s largest rowing regatta, and the races conveniently start at the BU boathouse, less than a five minute walk from the law building.

The stale book smell of the library evaporated almost instantly, and crisp leaves swirled around my boots. My hands were tucked cozily into the pockets of my pea coat as I strolled through throngs of bystanders, taking in the majesty of the crew boats gliding down the river. Paddles swooshed through the water, the announcer’s voice boomed, and coxswains shouted encouraging words, punctuating the steady cheers rising from the crowd. Hot apple cider and clam chowda’ in bread bowls wafted towards me. The best of the best rowers in the world were rowing less than 100 feet away from me, and all I had to do was put my books down for a minute and go outside to see them. (You can actually see the river – and the race – from most windows in the law building, but there’s something so much more special about seeing it in person!)

A crew team rows under the BU Bridge at the start of the Head of the Charles regatta.

I don’t think I can over-exaggerate the magic of Boston in autumn. While the Head of the Charles happens only once a year, Boston seems to find something to celebrate during every fall weekend: art, beer, books, light, activities street bands – if you can think of it, Boston probably has a fall-time festival for it.

A brass band parades down the street during Honk!, a yearly festival of music, activism, costumes, and fun!

A building in downtown Boston is transformed into a canvas of light at one of Boston’s newest (and hopefully annual) festivals, Nuit Blanche.

Boston is generally not plagued by the chilly humidity of other eastern seaboard cities. The fall air is crisp and cool on your skin. The leaves are absolutely breathtaking. And the sense that winter is approaching means that people generally celebrate every sunny day. Need I say more? Boston is the perfect place to be a law student (or really, any kind of person) in the fall.

Brilliant trees line the Charles River Esplanade, just a walk or jog away from BU’s law building.