From the Taipei Airport…

Hello from Taipei! I am sitting in the Taiwan Taoyuan airport, sipping on Boba Milk Tea. I can hear a variety of languages around me, including Mandarin, Taiwanese, and English. I arrived here only a few days ago, after 24 hours of travel. In another hour, I’ll hop back on a plane for another long journey. Although my trip was short, it was well worth it. Yesterday, one of my dearest friends married the love of her life, and I had the honor to be a bridesmaid in their wedding.

I left the U.S. on the morning of the 27th, and arrived in Taipei late on the 28th. The first day I felt like a sponge, taking in as much as I possibly could.

Taipei is incredibly beautiful. Skyscrapers and tiny, colorful shop fronts fill the streets, against a backdrop of luscious green hills. The bride and bridesmaids spent the day preparing for the wedding, getting facials, and eating delicious Taiwanese food. I thoroughly enjoyed trying a variety of Taiwanese teas, including a savory red bean tea. I was adjusting to the time difference (Taipei is 13 hours ahead of Boston), finding my way around on the MRT (the Taipei metro), and learning a few basic words in Taiwanese and Mandarin.

IMG_1420                                IMG_1424

The second day was the wedding. I am so happy I got to stand beside my friend and her (now) husband as they vowed to spend the rest of their lives loving one another. I have a great deal of respect for this couple. They spent the first couple years of their relationship doing not only long-distance, but international long-distance! She lived in the U.S., while he lived in Taiwan. I am in a (domestic) long distance relationship, and I have always found their relationship an inspiration.

It is so easy to get caught up in the stress of law school, and forget the bigger picture. First, the wedding was a reminder of the importance of friendship, love, and family. Second, being in Taipei was a reminder that even though we spend our days immersed in the law of the United States (except for our international law classes), there are so many other countries, cultures, and bodies of law. Our law school does an incredible job of encouraging diversity, cross-cultural dialogue, and an international perspective. But nothing can replace actually stepping into another  culture, even if it’s just for a few days.

Will post again soon! Just as a sneak peak, here’s the title: “Yes, You Can Have a Personal Life.”