Making Friends with the Guides

(A view of the Florence Duomo that I got to witness because of a local guide/friend)
(A view of the Florence Duomo that I got to experience because of a local guide/friend)

The most amazing parts of going to a new place is finding the hidden gems; wondering off of the beaten path of tourism. Most of the time, travelers fall in to tourist traps and not really getting the full experience of the culture, or an even worse travesty, the food, which is one of my favorite aspects of traveling. Having a local guide, or contact, can make all of the difference.

My main example is in the city of Florence, when you’re visiting the Duomo, DO NOT EAT IN THAT SQUARE. It is very Americanized and not a good example of the amazing Italian food the city has to offer. If you walk two to three streets over in any direction, the food is significantly better all around. It’s better quality, more authentic, and often, the most important, it’s cheaper.  

This was one of the best tidbits of knowledge that I gained from going on a tour with a company. Would I have known this fun fact without the help of a local? Possibly, but most likely not. If you’re new to traveling, I would definitely suggest going on a tour where you have an expert, local tour director. They can make your trip go from just the basics to a full experience you wouldn’t have been able to do without their help. It’s also great to not have to plan every single aspect of your day on your own. They handle transportation and touring of the major attractions, while being able to provide you with suggestions for free time.

Once you get comfortable being abroad, navigating the cities, and venturing around on your own, you can totally do it all on your own without the need for an official tour. However, it is a good way to start. To this day, I am still friends with my tour director. If I am going anywhere in Europe, I always check with him on Facebook to see if he has any suggestions. Nothing… I repeat… Nothing beats the knowledge of someone who has spent an immense amount of time in an area.

Lauren

My name is Lauren and I am from Kentucky, living in Boston. My main passion in life is traveling and exploring our amazing planet. I've been to a vast number of different places in my short life, and I want to share how to make that a reality for yourself, along with some helpful tips I've picked up along the way.