State Study: Kentucky and the Kentucky Derby

Pictures from my time at the Kentucky Derby and Churchill Downs.

There are few things that can make the bluegrass state of Kentucky more exciting. What could possibly beat bourbon and horses? Pairing them together can do the trick! The Kentucky Derby is one of the biggest horse races in the world, making it “the best 2 minutes in sports”. Each year, the event takes place the first weekend in May with a month of festivities throughout the city of Louisville leading up to it. If you’re going to be in town for Derby, there are a few important things for you to be aware of that most tourists won’t know on how to get the most out of your time in the city.

First of all, there is a magnificent thing called the Bourbon Trail. It is basically checking out all of the different distilleries that Kentucky has to offer throughout Louisville, Lexington, and the surrounding areas. There are bus tours that you can go on in order to overindulge on bourbon without worrying about who is going to drive. This is a great way to spend some of your time in Kentucky to get a taste (no pun intended) of something that makes the state so unique.

Another interesting thing that you can do with some free time in Kentucky is to explore all of the nature throughout the state. One amazing thing you can go see while you’re in town is Mammoth Cave, the largest cave system in the world. The good thing is that it’s only an hour or two away from Louisville. There are many other options depending on what kind of nature is your style, such as Red River Gorge, Natural Bridge, Bernheim Forest, and more.

Now, what we have all been waiting for, the insider’s advice about the place where the magic happens, Churchill Downs. The main traits of the Derby are big, fancy hats, loud outfits, mint juleps, and of course, horses. For those not invested in the actual race, you get to socialize with the masses while enjoying some delicious beverages in fantastic outfits. What’s better than that? The real party is located in the center of the track, in the infield. Everyone in this area is there for a good time, but beware that it can get a little wild in there, but the people watching is the best I’ve ever experienced.

Just as fast as the race, your time in Kentucky will be up. Experiencing all of the wonders that the state has to offer is a great way to avoid the influx of people that come in town for Derby. Like most people I know, it only takes one visit to get hooked. You may miss out on the local touristy stuff following this method for your visit, but those are things that you can do when you come back. No one can resist my old Kentucky home.

Lauren

My name is Lauren and I am from Kentucky, living in Boston. My main passion in life is traveling and exploring our amazing planet. I've been to a vast number of different places in my short life, and I want to share how to make that a reality for yourself, along with some helpful tips I've picked up along the way.