Panta Rhei

There is a saying in Ancient Greek, attributed to the philosopher Heraclitus. That phrase, in Greek, is “τὰ πάντα ῥεῖ καὶ οὐδὲν μένει” (ta panta rhei kai ouden menei). It roughly translates to, “everything flows, and nothing stays.” Another saying attributed to Heraclitus along this vein is that you can’t step into the same river twice.

Both of these sayings can be summarized in two words: everything changes. The water that flows in a river is always shifting and flowing, so that when you step into a river for a second  time, it is no longer the same river. According to some accounts, one of Heraclitus’ students remarked that by that logic, you could not even step into the same river once, since the water continues to flow even as you set your foot into it.

As the temperatures cool, the rains settle in, and the seasons change, I am reminded of these sayings by Heraclitus. In some ways, they are a little disquieting. In several months, I will leave behind my time as an undergraduate at BU. Where I go from there, who can say now. But with that change, I may lose touch with many of the friends and people that I’ve grown close to at BU. I can’t deny that that’s at least a little scary.

At the same time, there is some peace that can be found in Heraclitus’ sayings as well. If all things change, then that means all things in life, including times of trial and hardship, will eventually pass on. How or when, I can’t say, but I know they will in time.

This does raise a difficult question, though: does the Divine change over time? Or do our conceptions of the Divine, and not the divine itself, ebb and flow? Some might argue that God is one of the few constants in the world that we live. Other people take heart in the fact that the Divine is eternal. And yet, I don’t think that means the Divine is static. The Divine can encompass so much, for so many people. How could something that vast be bounded, or limited, by being perpetually the same and not change?

These are questions that I don’t have an answer to, unfortunately. I don’t know if the Divine is constant, or ever-changing, or both. But when I look out at the Charles River in Boston, and I see the water ripple across the surface, I am reminded of the living presence of the Divine in the the river, in the people around me, and in the world around all of us. I am reminded of the words of the philosopher Heraclitus, words that contain some anxiety, some peace, and a lot of hope. And that, for now, is enough for me to ponder the Divine while embracing the flow that comes with the passing of the seasons.

suba suba posted on December 23, 2019 at 5:56 am

fQRSiR Just Browsing While I was surfing today I saw a great post about

Bauli posted on February 18, 2020 at 4:15 am

Thank you ever so for you blog article.Really looking forward to read more. Want more.

ash posted on March 31, 2020 at 5:42 pm

https://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/panta-rhei-as-seen-by-hubble

the field of rheology (the branch of physics that describes how fluid moves) was named after the phrase “panta rhei”

currently a stray chemical engineering student who found my way over onto this blog

beautiful

offshore company registratrion posted on April 24, 2020 at 7:40 am

You have observed very interesting details! ps nice web site.

ultraviolet light air purification systems posted on May 18, 2020 at 4:14 pm

Thanks again for the article post.Thanks Again. Awesome.

vegan products posted on May 18, 2020 at 4:43 pm

information in such a perfect manner of writing? I ave a presentation next week, and I am at the

learning French online posted on May 18, 2020 at 5:09 pm

Keep up the great writing. Visit my blog ?????? (Twyla)

voice teacher posted on June 29, 2020 at 8:06 am

you employ a fantastic weblog here! want to earn some invite posts on my website?

Dstv renewal online posted on October 28, 2020 at 12:44 pm

runescape gold original tr??s tr??s adorable en compagnie de pochette avec aide -livraison dans ces date

How to Start a Blog posted on November 9, 2020 at 10:11 am

I?d must test with you here. Which isn at one thing I usually do! I enjoy studying a put up that will make people think. Additionally, thanks for permitting me to remark!

Blog gotówkowy posted on November 16, 2020 at 10:11 am

It as genuinely very complicated in this active life to listen news on TV, so I simply use world wide web for that purpose, and obtain the latest news.

Question Bank 2021 posted on November 16, 2020 at 11:34 am

the time to study or visit the content material or web sites we have linked to beneath the

domain names posted on January 5, 2021 at 11:40 am

It will never feature large degrees of filler information, or even lengthy explanations.

Sub-Zero refrigerator repair posted on February 3, 2021 at 9:57 am

Im grateful for the blog post.Really thank you! Really Great.

Office Furniture posted on February 16, 2021 at 5:42 am

Im grateful for the blog article. Awesome.

https://180.210.204.77/ posted on March 9, 2021 at 1:16 am

provider for the on-line advertising and marketing.

wc verstopft posted on April 2, 2021 at 5:02 am

Its hard to find good help I am regularly proclaiming that its hard to find quality help, but here is

lux socks su posted on April 5, 2021 at 7:43 am

long time watcher and I just thought IaаАа’б‚Т€ТšаЂаŒаАа’б‚Т€ТžаБТžd drop by and say hi there there for your really initially time.

One Trackback

[…] down all the changes in my life and in the world around me, I’ve found peace in the concept of panta rhei. As the ancient Greeks put it, it’s the idea that “everything flows”; nothing lasts forever, […]