Humans of OVP

DATE: DECEMBER 28, 2017

“What’s you favorite thing to do?” “My favorite thing to do is swim and play with my friend outside in my house, like tag and hide-and-seek” -Jahlani, 8 years old, 2nd grade

Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 6.35.48 PM

DATE: DECEMBER 5, 2017

Shekeila and her boyfriend have been visiting the Outreach Van since early November. Shekeila had a emergency hospital visit the same week that her boyfriend was scheduled to begin a new job. He ultimately lost that job, and they became unable to pay rent. The two have been living on the streets and partly staying with a friend since. Shekeila has a five-year-old daughter who is in custody with her mother. Thankfully, the couple receives some care and support from Shekeila’s boyfriend’s family. The two are hoping to find a job soon. In the meantime, they are thankful for the donations from OVP.

Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 6.34.51 PM

DATE: NOVEMBER 1, 2017

“I have a son. He is one year old, and his name is Bryan. He is the best thing that has ever happened to me. Do you want to see pictures of him? Here he is in the park, riding the slide. He looks so happy. Here he is again in my wife’s backyard. Isn’t he handsome? It makes me happy to see him that happy. He is my baby. I love my baby.

Having a son makes me want to become a better person. I want my son to grow up and have everything. I do not get to see him as much as I want to, and I miss him when I do not see him. The last time I saw him was two weeks ago in the park. I hope to see him again before the next month. I love my baby.”

Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 6.33.45 PM

DATE: OCTOBER 24, 2017

“My story is that when I was little I had an accident that made me a little special. It was both good and bad. I was climbing up a tree and I fell. I hit my head. Can you feel this bump right here? It is from that fall and after that I became a little special. I started not remembering things as well, my memory became a little blurry. And that made me a bit sad. But after that time, I also became “mama’s boy”, she would take special care of me and let me do things that maybe my brother couldn’t do. And that was a good thing hahaha”.

Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 12.44.36 PM

DATE: OCTOBER 17, 2017

“I was close to my mom and my dad. My birthday is June 6th, he was June 7th so I was born close to his birthday. When I talked to him he went back to Sicily because he couldn’t deal with the fact my mom–they were best friends, they had been married 51 years–he went back to Sicily and he facetimed me over there–it’s like a day ahead so it was his birthday but it was my birthday here, and we sang happy birthdaY to each other and he died on the 9th..um I don’t have closure on that, so it’s really painful. I’m just trying to live, trying to move forward.”

Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 12.33.48 PMScreen Shot 2018-02-28 at 12.34.49 PMScreen Shot 2018-02-28 at 12.33.59 PM