Flexible Education

A new report by professors at UCSF encourages a rethinking of traditional medical education. One area for reform is the time necessary to receive the M.D. degree. Why four years for everyone? If students learn at different paces and have different interests, why not a more flexible schedule?

The proposal would make medical school more like doctoral programs, whose curricula are much less rigid. At the same time, recent critics of ten-year-long Ph.D. programs have called for graduate study in the arts and sciences to be more like medical school.

I’m inclined to favor more rigid timelines for medical school but more loose guidelines for residency. Sharing a common experience of courses over four years provides benefits that outweigh accommodating individual learning styles.

Tags:

4 Responses to “Flexible Education”

1. whoah this blog is wonderful i like studying your articles. Stay up the great paintings! You already know, many persons are looking around for this information, you can help them greatly.

2. cognizance gathered regarding hosting here. The details concerning HostNine coupon, ipage coupon, are helpful for choosing best hosting coupons.

3. Sorry for the huge review, but I’m really loving the new Zune, and hope this, as well as the excellent reviews some other people have written, will help you decide if it’s the right choice for you.

4. I’ll right away grasp your rss as I can not in finding your e-mail subscription link or newsletter service. Do you have any? Please allow me recognize so that I may subscribe. Thanks.