Attracting PCPs

The number of primary care physicians in the United States is already too low to meet the demand. With the implementation of  reforms to bring health care access to millions more, the shortage of PCPs will become even more acute.

Time Magazine reported on this looming problem last week. Experts estimate that we will be short 30,000 primary care doctors by 2015. With fewer than 7% of current medical students interested in practicing general internal medicine or family medicine, the problem will only escalate.

Like other media that report on the problem, Time blames the rise in debt that medical students accrue. Even though the average primary care physician can expect to make almost $200,000 a year, that is less than half what a cardiologist can earn and a small part of the $500,000 in loans that a student might have to repay.

Money is no doubt a consideration for medical students choosing a specialty.  I doubt many applicants for dermatology residency slots chose to pursue medical studies because of a passion to treat skin diseases. Rather, dermatology offers a higher pay with more control over schedules. For younger generations, practicing medicine should not be incompatible with building a life.

Tags: ,

14 Responses to “Attracting PCPs”

1. all the best says:

elllja adfadfadf adfad

2. […] Cardinals Titans Patriots Saints This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. ← Durant erupts for 39 as Thunder finish Grizzlies […]

3. […] Dwight Freeney Joe Thomas Ryan Clady Andre Johnson Cancel reply […]

4. Luigi Fulk says:

Does your blog have a contact page? I’m having problems locating it but, I’d like to send you an email. I’ve got some creative ideas for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great website and I look forward to seeing it expand over time.

5. Alonso Nuse says:

Thanks, I’ve recently been hunting for information about this subject for ages and yours is the best I’ve located so far.

6. Reduce travel cost and buy a motorcycle or scooter on fyiMoto.com. There are thousands of motorcycles from Ducati to Suzuki for sale at discount prices on fyiMoto.com. If you already have a motorcycle, you can get the most for it by selling your motorcycle on fyiMoto for free! That’s right, NADA! Visit fyiMoto.com today!

7. Tim says:

Your own invaluable tutorial means a great deal to me and additionally to my office workers. Thank you from every person of us.

8. health care says:

I’d have to test with you here. Which isn’t one thing I normally do! I take pleasure in reading a publish that will make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to remark!

9. Fantastic beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your web site, how can i subscribe for a blog website? The account aided me a acceptable deal. I had been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright clear concept

10. travel says:

Hi there, I discovered your web site by means of Google even as looking for a related subject, your site got here up, it looks good. I’ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

11. I really lucky to find this web site on bing, just what I was searching for : D also saved to fav.

12. I love your wp layout, where did you get a hold of it?

13. Great Stuff, do you have a myspace profile?