Medical Marshall Plan

Two days after many candidates running on belt-tightening platforms won election seems like an awkward time to endorse a plan to increase government spending. Still, a call to arms by T. Samuel Shomaker, Dean of Medicine at Texas A & M, warrants consideration.

Dr. Shomaker likens the state of medical education to Europe after World War II. The Marshall Plan cost the United States $13 billion in the short-term but earned it lasting, prosperous allies. Something similar could be done with medical students. He proposes that the federal government pay the first two years of medical school tuition in exchange for a postgraduate year providing primary care in an underserved area.

Upon completion of the year, doctors could earn forgiveness for their remaining medical school debt by staying on in the position or matching with a primary care residency. They may choose a specialty residency, but then the last two years of medical school tuition loans will be theirs to pay back.

Former Labor Secretary Robert Reich has made a similar proposal for undergraduate education. Making tuition free may sound radical, but it promises to lower barriers to entry for many students while also producing more of the educated citizens we need.

Tags:

27 Responses to “Medical Marshall Plan”

1. A faithful friend is hard to find; remember man and keep in mind.

2. Oh my goodness! an incredible article dude. Thanks Nonetheless I am experiencing concern with ur rss . Don’t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anyone getting equivalent rss drawback? Anyone who knows kindly respond. Thnkx

3. Nice article…

I’ve been absent for some time, but now I remember why I used to love this site. Thank you, I’ll try and check back more frequently. How frequently do you update your web site?…

4. Wohh exactly what I was looking for, regards for putting up. “Arguments are like fire-arms which a man may keep at home but should not carry about with him.” by Samuel Butler.

5. Keep up the excellent piece of work, I read few posts on this web site and I think that your weblog is really interesting and holds lots of good info .

6. I really enjoy reading through on this web site, it contains great articles. “The living is a species of the dead and not a very attractive one.” by Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche.

7. It is what I want,So good information.

8. Age cannot wither her nor custom stale Her infinite variety.

9. Leroy Serro says:

|astonishing|enjoyable|interesting} {post|article|content}. Great {work|job}! I {express|categorical|specific} my gratitude for the

10. Between me and my husband we’ve owned more MP3 players over the years than I can count, including Sansas, iRivers, iPods (classic & touch), the Ibiza Rhapsody, etc. But, the last few years I’ve settled down to one line of players. Why? Because I was happy to discover how well-designed and fun to use the underappreciated (and widely mocked) Zunes are.

11. Acer K11 says:

Thank you your post, previously it was interesting and compelling. I discovered my way here through Google, I am going to come back once more 🙂

12. The brand new printer HP LaserJet 1020 is the new technologies that turns high quality images onto papers. HP LaserJet 1020 is actually excellent whenever printing fast bulk duplicates. The cartridges is simple to change, HP LaserJet 1020 rocks !. HP LaserJet 1020 is actually cool.

13. I just added this blog to my google reader, thanks !

14. Many thanks for an incredible publish, would read your others content. many thanks for your thoughts on this, I felt a lttle bit struck by this article. Thanks again! You earn an excellent moment. Displays the beauty through wonderful info here. I believe if a greater number consideration for it that way, they’d have a better time period obtain the suspend ofing the matter.

15. John says:

What superb text! I have no clue how you were able to say this text..it’d take me weeks. Well worth it though, I’d assume. Have you considered selling banners on your website?

16. You’ve made some respectable factors there. I seemed on the web for the difficulty and located most people will go together with along with your website.

17. For example if Russia started to raise the prices for gas, or started to blackmail western Europe with suspension of gas supplies, western European countries would be able to switch their import to middle east or other regions, what does not mean that it would be cheaper. Moreover, Russia would never blackmail whole EU because it is Russia’s main receiver of natural resources, therefore such a blackmail is not a reasonable action for Kremlin.

18. Look at it from another perspective, and you’ll see it.

19. Espresso says:

I love your blog.. very nice colors and theme. Did you create this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you? Plz respond as I’m looking to design my own blog and would like to know where u got this from. thanks

20. Blog Xing, add your blogs here: http://www.blogxing.ru

21. Junk car no says:

Aw, this was a very nice post. In thought I want to put in writing like this additionally – taking time and precise effort to make a very good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and under no circumstances appear to get something done.

22. Nice job on the overall appearence of the site. I will have to keep visiting taking a look at other postings. I personally own and run a website and I realize the importance of quality content and it’s wide impact it causes on the quality of a site. I just wanted to hand out some props to you.

23. One more thing I would like to say is that as opposed to trying to accommodate all your online degree lessons on days and nights that you complete work (because most people are drained when they return home), try to have most of your instructional classes on the week-ends and only 1 or 2 courses in weekdays, even if it means a little time away from your weekend break. This pays off because on the week-ends, you will be extra rested in addition to concentrated in school work. Thanks for the different guidelines I have figured out from your weblog.

24. I almost accidentally visited to this site, but stayed here for a long time. Stayed because everything was very interesting. Surely will share with all my friends!…

25. Good post and right to the point. I am not sure if this is really the best place to ask but do you people have any thoughts on where to hire some professional writers? Thanks in advance

26. Lala Mallery says:

I’m impressed, I have to say. Actually rarely do I encounter a weblog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you have got hit the nail on the head. Your concept is excellent; the problem is something that not sufficient people are speaking intelligently about. I am very completely happy that I stumbled across this in my seek for something relating to this.

27. Huey Lyde says:

As I have expected, the writer blurted out..!