Who’s Watching Google?

It’s become part of our browsers, our research habits, and our vocabulary. Most academics would agree that Google has made their lives easier. It provides us not just with searches but also scholarly articles, e-mail, shared documents, directions, and airline information.

A new book from Siva Vaidhyanathan warns that we should not uncritically welcome “Googlization.” Although signs of malfeasance are not apparent yet, Vaidhyanathan worries that Google’s goals do not align neatly with scholars’ goals. Google is publicly traded and accountable to shareholders. The company collects our personal information to put to its own, profit-making ends.

In an interview, the author lists other concerns. Google’s ease makes students less rigorous in their research. Its algorithms favor popularity, not accuracy. Of course, there’s the loss of productive time given over to watching YouTube videos. Despite the critique, the book concedes there is a lot to admire in Google. Let’s just be wary of any monopoly.

Tags:

6 Responses to “Who’s Watching Google?”

1. cognizance gathered about hosting here. The details about 1and1 coupon, pacifichost, are helpful for selecting best hosting coupons.

2. Hi! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a team of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us beneficial information to work on. You have done a outstanding job!

3. I’m typically to blogging and i really recognize your content. The article has actually peaks my interest. I am going to bookmark your site and keep checking for new information.

4. what are the benefits of green tea, Good post. I study one thing tougher on totally different blogs everyday. It’s going to always be stimulating to learn content material from other writers and observe somewhat one thing from their store. I’d favor to use some with the content on my blog whether or not you don’t mind. Natually I’ll offer you a hyperlink on your internet blog. Thank you for sharing.

5. My spouse and i were thrilled when Jordan managed to carry out his survey using the precious recommendations he obtained from your web page. It’s not at all simplistic to just possibly be releasing helpful hints that many people have been selling. We remember we’ve got the writer to be grateful to because of that. The specific illustrations you’ve made, the easy website navigation, the relationships your site help to engender – it’s got mostly incredible, and it is helping our son in addition to the family reason why that content is satisfying, which is certainly incredibly fundamental. Thanks for all the pieces!

6. David says:

Interesting reading and it seems that the big G is taking over! I just hope Yahoo and Bing can continue to compete in the Google dominated ‘world of search’…
    Many thanks!