Match Day

According to a press release from the National Resident Matching Program, primary care residencies saw an increase in the number of U.S. medical school graduates entering their programs.

All the numbers involved in the 2011 match seem to be on the increase: more slots, more applicants, more graduates of international medical schools.

As encouraging as the trend in primary care residencies may be, U.S. seniors fill only 50-60% of the available slots. In specialities like dermatology and orthopaedic surgery, US. medical graduates make up over 90% of the incoming cohort, a sign of how competitive they are.


6 Responses to “Match Day”

  1. Craig Noronha says:

    One comment I would say is that they include ALL internal medicine residents as primary care, but only a small minority of those end up in primary care. 75% of all internal medicine residents specialize and a large proportion of the other 25% do hospitalist work. They label this 25% as being general medicine but it is not a real good snapshot of primary care.

  2. Hi! I love your post. It was with great interest that I read your post. You presented some really insightful points. I am the designer/creator of a free word press “Medicine and Medical Help Theme. I think your readers might be interested. The theme is instantly ready downloading from here: Medicine and Medical Help Theme

  3. pcahn says:

    That’s a valuable distinction, Craig. I wonder if anyone has tracked how many IM residents stay in primary care.

  4. E. Howard Hunt~ No one is entitled to the truth.

  5. truyen la viet nam the gioi… I had to tell fantastic post truyen la…

  6. skyriver says:

    How do you make your blog look this sick!? Email me if you want and share your wisdom. Id be appreciative!