If so, the 3-week course “Beyond the Biological Basis for Disease” offered by Physicians for Haiti and taking place in Port-Au-Prince, Haiti, may be the perfect fit for you! Below are the course objectives, eligibility criteria, and application process. These and all that you need to know about the course can be found by clicking this link to the handout.
1. To promote international solidarity and partnership for generating solutions to global health challenges facing societies throughout the world
2. To foster reflective dialogue between Haitian and international medical students as a means of strengthening ties between the next generation of Haitian health professionals and a global network of their peers.
3. To provide a structured global health experience for medical students with dedicated supervision and teaching in clinical medicine and social medicine
4. To study issues related to global health in a resource-poor setting with an emphasis on local and global context
5. To foster critical analysis of global health interventions in resource-poor settings
6. To facilitate the development of a clinical approach to disease and illness using a biosocial model through structured supervision and teaching
7. To build an understanding and skill set associated with physician advocacy
Eligibility criteria for applicants
- Medical student of any year
- Fluent in French
- Available for the entire length of the course (July 14-August 1, 2014)
Applications are due January 15, 2014.
Credit for away electives can usually be arranged with a student’s home institution.