The BUMP Experience: Erin McLean’s story

I will be the first person to say that being a Marine Science major is the best thing anyone could do at BU.  The students are hard-working but laid back, the faculty are knowledgeable and fun, and the courses are not only taught in the class, but also out in the field.  However, you can be so much more than just a marine major here – you can do it all if you put your mind to it.

I came into my first semester at BU super excited about being a marine major. I was so ready to dive into my oceanography and marine bio classes, but CAS has some general education requirements that I had to get out of the way first.  I try to never approach a class as something to “get out of the way,” though, so I picked literature-based subjects for my writing classes.  I always liked literature in high school.  Anyway, long story short, I was reminded through those classes how much I loved writing papers and reading novels, so I sat down with my advisor (the delightful department head John Finnerty) and asked him if he thought it was possible for me to do both.  We took a look at the class requirements for each major and I was able to fit it all in without overloading.  I love being a dual major in English and Marine Science – I feel better prepared for scientific writing and communication, and it’s always nice to balance harder (for me) science classes with easier (for me) English classes, especially around finals time.

My time at BU wasn’t spent all in class, though.  I was lucky enough to do lots of research, both directed and independent.  BU’s Marine Semester, a whole semester of research-based classes, was one of the best experiences I could have hoped for.  We did field work in different sub-fields and learned how to work under pressure, as well as write papers and present to scientific audiences.  That semester inspired me to take on more research opportunities, and I started to do independent work in Dr. Finnerty’s (my advisor’s) marine genomics lab, running different tests and looking at where in sea anemones various genes are expressed.  That wasn’t enough research for me (because there is never really enough!) and so I applied for and got a funded summer research experience all the way down south in Dauphin Island, AL.  I got to design my own project on fish foraging habits, and my results were so good that I’m actually being funded to present them at a scientific meeting (of the Association of the Sciences of Limnology and Oceanography) in New Orleans.

Erin ferocious shramping

Erin at sea

Erin and the shark

Somehow in between all that, I managed to make local and national news by winning Jeopardy’s College Championship.  I had to study in between my classes, my volunteer position at the New England Aquarium, and my job at a local video rental store, but I somehow managed to squeeze enough info in to win the trophy, BU’s first win.

With all that going on, I was worried I wouldn’t have time for a study abroad experience.  I had always wanted to go to Europe while in college, so I made sure to work extra hard and got accepted to study in BU’s science program in Dresden, Germany.  I lived there for four months with pre-med kids learning chemistry, biology, and stats, as well as learning all about the culture of Germany.

With my mom at the Eiffel Tower

Holding Up The Tower of Pisa

At Monte Carlo in Monaco

View of Dresden

Hiking in Saxon Switzerland

It’s been a crazy four years for me, but I wouldn’t change it for anything.  There were lots of days were I felt overwhelmed by my schoolwork, or by internship applications, or I just felt that there wasn’t enough time in the day (or in my four years of undergrad education) to get all I wanted done.  Luckily, I had some great people to fall back on – my friends in the major, who are some of the coolest people I’ve ever met, and of course my professors.  I was able to accomplish so much because I had goals and I wasn’t going to compromise them just because it wasn’t going to be easy.  Working tirelessly on something I love like marine science never felt like hard work to me – it felt like I was doing something I was meant for.  Now, applying to grad school, I have an edge most other students don’t – a sincere love of what I do and the experience to back it up.  Choosing BU and choosing marine science was the best thing I ever could have done; pushing my boundaries and never giving up made me the successful (almost!) graduate I am today.

فرش posted on March 6, 2023 at 3:55 am

فرش کاشان فرشیما یکی از مرغوب ترین و بهترین فرش موجود در بازار است که توسط مجموعه ی فرش فرشیما به فروش می رسد. کارخانه فرش کاشان فرشیما تمامی تلاش خود را کرده تا انواع فرش کاشان با الیاف گوناگون همچون بی سی اف، ورژن، اکریلیک و پلی پروپیلن تولید می کند و در سایت فروش فرش کاشان خود در اختیار مشتریان گرانقدر گذاشته است. علاوه بر آن باید بگوییم که قالی کاشان با ابعاد استاندارد و غیر استاندارد در سایت کارخانه فرش کاشان فرشیما به فروش می رسد و این موضوع باعث شده تا خریداران بتوانند با توجه به ابعاد دکوراسیون منزل یا محیط کارشان خریدی مطمئن و دقیق داشته باشند. باید بگوییم که سایت فرش کاشان فرشیما انواع بافته های فانتزی، گبه، شگی و پادری را نیز تولید می کند که این موضوع باعث شده تا مشتریان گرانقدر بتوانند به راحتی محصولات مورد نظر خودشان را ثبت سفارش کنند و تا سالیان سال از زیبایی بی نظیر قالی کاشان خود لذت ببرند. مجموعه ی فرش فرشیما از سال 1390 فعالیت خود را آغاز کرده و توانسته اطمینان و اعتماد بسیاری از افراد را به محصولات خود راحت کند و بهترین و باکیفیت ترین بافته ی ماشینی را در اختیار آنان قرار دهد. هدف از ایجاد سایت فروش فرش فرشیما این بوده است که خریداران بتوانند به راحتی در هر زمان از شبانه روز محصولشان را ثبت سفارش کنند و از زیبایی بی نظیر بافته ی ماشینیشان تا سالیان سال لذت ببرند. علاوه بر آن باید بگوییم که فرشیما دارای کارخانه فرش کاشان می باشد که مشتریان می توانند به صورت حضوری فرش کاشان را مشاهده کرده و سپس محصول خود را ثبت سفارش کنند و به صورت رایگان درب منزل تحویل گیرند. کارشناسان فروشگاه فرش ماشینی فرشیما به صورت 24 ساعته در اختیار مشتریان گرامی هستند تا بتوانند آنان را برای خریدی بهتر و مطمئن تر راهنمایی کنند. وجود نماد اعتماد الکترونیکی باعث شده تا خریداران با اطمینان کامل محصول خود را ثبت سفارش کنند. امروزه به دلیل اینکه کاشان به عنوان پایتخت فرش شناخته می شود، بسیاری از تولید کنندگان تصمیم به راه اندازی فروشگاهی آنلاین گرفته اند تا بتوانند قالی کاشان را به سراسر کشور ارسال کنند و به فروش برسانند. وجود فروشگاه های اینترنتی متعدد باعث شده تا مشتریان بین انتخاب فرش کاشان سردرگم شده باشند. بدین دلیل باید بگوییم که فروشگاه اینترنتی فرش کاشان فرشیما یکی از معتبر ترین و بهترین فروشگاه های اینترنتی است که در حوزه ی فروش بهترین و باکیفیت ترین فرش کاشان فعالیت دارد. ارسال رایگان باعث شده تا بسیاری از خریداران تمایل به خرید از فروشگاه فرش فرشیما داشته باشند.