To the Point

It’s become so commonplace to give presentations with PowerPoint that delivering a talk without one grabs notice. But does the software enhance oral communication?

Edward Tufte, a professor emeritus of Political Science, Statistics, and Computer Science at Yale, has written extensively about the limitations of PowerPoint. In one famous example, he takes on NASA’s reliance on PowerPoint. When it comes to studying the Challenger tragedy, a hierarchy of bullet points seems inadequate for the task.

PowerPoint slides work best, I feel, when they illustrate a point. Images, graphs, and maps enhance the speaker’s argument. But simply putting the talk on the screen in a usually arbitrary format insults the audience and detracts from the talk.

Tags:

10 Responses to “To the Point”

1. ausines says:

Thank you for every other informative web site. Where else may I get that kind of information written in such an ideal means?

2. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love studying extra on this topic. If attainable, as you acquire experience, would you thoughts updating your blog with additional info? It is extremely useful for me.

3. Great idea thanks! I could use the extra income =-)

4. I guess you have made many rather interesting points. Not as well many ppl would actually think about this the direction you just did. I am really impressed that there is so much about this subject that has been revealed and you did it so nicely, with so considerably class. Excellent one, man! Very wonderful things right here.

5. Wow, fantastic weblog structure! How long have you ever been running a blog for? you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your web site is great, let alone the content material!

6. DIVORCE: The screwing you get for the screwing you got.

7. What’s Going down i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve discovered It positively useful and it has helped me out loads. I am hoping to give a contribution & help other users like its aided me. Good job.

8. thumbnail says:

How do you make this site look this cool. Email me if you can and share your wisdom. Id be appreciative.

9. Thanks for the strategies presented. One thing I also believe is that often credit cards giving a 0% interest often bait consumers together with zero rate of interest, instant authorization and easy internet balance transfers, nonetheless beware of the main factor that may void that 0% easy street annual percentage rate plus throw you out into the terrible house rapid.

10. Thanks for your submission. Another element is that being a photographer includes not only trouble in taking award-winning photographs but hardships in getting the best camera suited to your requirements and most especially challenges in maintaining the quality of your camera. This can be very true and apparent for those photography fans that are into capturing the nature’s exciting scenes – the mountains, the forests, the actual wild or even the seas. Going to these exciting places certainly requires a digital camera that can surpass the wild’s tough surroundings.