Making Vitas More Vital

When it comes time to promotion, the CV is a crucial document. Members of the Appointments and Promotions Committee can see scholarly activity at a glance and weigh a candidate’s achievements against departmental criteria.

For researchers, the measures are fairly straightforward: number and quality of publications and grants. CVs capture those data effectively. But for educators, it is more difficult to encapsulate quantity and quality on a CV. Awards help, but there are not enough awards to recognize all the outstanding teaching that goes on at an academic medical center.

One solution is the educator’s portfolio. This packet supplements the CV with more detailed examples of pedagogical effectiveness. These examples could include student evaluations, letters of thanks, student outcomes, mentoring activities, and invitations to teach a course again.

Of course, putting together a portfolio assumes that the candidate has been keeping track of all these things. That’s why it’s a good idea to keep a file marked “Promotion” and add everything relevant as it comes across your desk. When it comes time to put together the CV and portfolio, it will be just a matter of editing.

Tags: ,

20 Responses to “Making Vitas More Vital”

1. Yes you are right, the cv should not be a traditionnal A4 in its form, this is so boring, you can do a video or show what you can do

2. You can even make a html cv and post it on the web !

3. *This internet site is really a walk-through it really is the details it suited you with this and didn’t know who to inquire about. Glimpse here, and you’ll certainly discover it.

4. Thank you for the article. It is useful to me. After I read the article and been touched by this article I have always been to write. I will follow every article I read and then feel the wealth of knowledge Thank Finally I would like to leave my site. Available for any interested to visit. Musicians may be particularly like at all.Guitar Sale Cheap

5. Monte Ahnell says:

WONDERFUL Post.thanks for share..more wait .. …

6. Excellent beat ! I would like to apprentice whilst you amend your website, how could i subscribe for a weblog site? The account aided me a applicable deal. I have been tiny bit familiar of this your broadcast offered vivid transparent idea

7. Great post. But I get an error message when I try to subscribe to your RSS. Is it a problem with my internet, or is anyone else here getting it as well?

8. cognizance gathered regarding hosting here. The details regarding inmotion hosting coupon, pacifichost, are helpful for selecting best hosting coupons.

9. Hello! Quick question that’s completely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My site looks weird when viewing from my apple iphone. I’m trying to find a theme or plugin that might be able to fix this problem. If you have any recommendations, please share. Many thanks!

10. I love Your blog. Please post more!

11. อาชีพเสริม says:

Nach meiner Meinung irren Sie sich. Schreiben Sie mir in PM, wir werden besprechen.

12. Aleida Days says:

Excellent beat ! I would like to apprentice at the same time as you amend your website, how can i subscribe for a weblog website? The account aided me a applicable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided shiny clear concept – London Escorts Girl, 20b, Christchurch House, Caxton Street, London SW1H 0PX, 020 3011 1846

13. Hey There. I discovered your blog the use of msn. That is an extremely smartly written article. I will make sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your helpful information. Thank you for the post. I will certainly comeback.

14. Thanks , I’ve just been looking for info approximately this subject for a long time and yours is the greatest I have discovered so far. However, what in regards to the conclusion? Are you positive about the supply?

15. Most of what you say happens to be supprisingly accurate and that makes me wonder the reason why I hadn’t looked at this in this light before. This piece truly did turn the light on for me as far as this specific topic goes. Nonetheless there is one particular issue I am not too cozy with so whilst I try to reconcile that with the central idea of your point, let me see just what all the rest of your visitors have to point out.Well done.

16. Lawnmower says:

In the awesome design of things you actually receive a B+ for effort and hard work. Exactly where you actually lost us was first on the particulars. You know, as the maxim goes, the devil is in the details… And that could not be much more accurate here. Having said that, permit me inform you what did give good results. The writing can be extremely convincing and this is possibly why I am making the effort in order to opine. I do not make it a regular habit of doing that. Next, even though I can certainly notice the leaps in reasoning you make, I am not really certain of exactly how you appear to unite your points which help to make the conclusion. For right now I will, no doubt subscribe to your issue however wish in the foreseeable future you actually link your facts better.

17. wonderful post, very informative. I wonder why the other experts of this sector don’t notice this. You must continue your writing. I am sure, you’ve a great readers’ base already!

18. This is a amazing site, would you be interested in working on an interview about just how you made it? If so e-mail me personally!