Electronic Error

Electronic medical records hold the promise of managing the flow of data more efficiently. When a doctor orders a test, the computerized system will automatically flag any abnormal results for follow-up.

Yet, a study at the Houston VA Medical Center showed that one-third of over 1,000 electronic alerts over a three-month period went unacknowledged. Of those cases, 45 (or 4% of all abnormal results) did not receive any follow-up at all.

In an interview with the Wall Street Journal, the study’s author suggested that physicians may be suffering from information overload. Electronic medical records can send physicians up to 50 alerts and reminders each day, making it difficult to distinguish the crucial data from the less urgent.

This electronic bombardment may be exacerbated in an academic medical center, where faculty also receive regular e-mail blasts about university events and research opportunities. Some past faculty development seminars have offered tips for managing the flow of information. Based on recent response to a seminar about conducting an efficient clinical visit, we will revisit how to maximize use of electronic medical records in the spring.

Tags: ,

8 Responses to “Electronic Error”

1. Nice! Just wanted to respond. I thoroughly loved your post. Keep up the great work.

2. Amazing! It is like you understand my mind! You seem to know so much about this, just like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you can do with some pics to drive the content home a bit, besides that, this is good blog. A great read. I will certainly return again.

3. This blog is really cool. How can i make one like this?

4. Have you consider starting an email list. It would take your site to its potential.

5. I am not sure if I agree with it. Are you sure?

6. Definitely, the post is definitely the most desirable on this essential field. I come to an agreement with your results and will excitedly watch for your forthcoming updates. Saying thanks will not likely just be adequate, for the wonderful clearness in your writing. I will without delay get your rss feed to stay well informed of any updates. Gratifying work and much success in your business dealings.. Sincerely, ..

7. Leigha says:

You’ve hit the nail on the head on this one. Your ideas are pretty smart; the issue is something that not many peeps can speak intelligently about. Good job.

8. Mary Glen says:

Very well done, nice site.