Tracking Impact

The Cited Reference Search in the database Web of Science allows users to track how many times a published work was referenced in the academic literature. It indexes journals from the humanities to the sciences and includes conference proceedings.

As complete as that sounds, does it really capture how scholars use academic literature? With so much content migrating online, we can now track other measures of impact like number of times an article was downloaded, blogged about, or linked to on a website.

InsideHigherEd.com describes new methods for assessing scholarly impact. One ranking uses a Google-like algorithm to weigh citations from prestigious journals most heavily. By that system, the New England Journal of Medicine comes out tops for medical journals in 2008.

CoolCite.com harnesses social networking by allowing researchers to upload their CVs and share content with other scholars. The site takes a holistic approach to evaluating merit by looking at the teaching and service part of an academic’s record.

Tags: ,

30 Responses to “Tracking Impact”

1. *You produced some decent points there. I looked on the internet for that problem and found most individuals will go in addition to with your web site.

2. *Spot up with this write-up, I actually feel this website wants additional consideration. I’ll probably be once more to read much more, thank you for that info.

3. Thank you for the article. It is useful to me. After I read the article and been touched by this article I have always been to write. I will follow every article I read and then feel the wealth of knowledge Thank Finally I would like to leave my site. Available for any interested to visit. Musicians may be particularly like at all.Guitar Sale Cheap

4. Don’t miss out on a free sample trial of Hoodia Extreme. Limited time offer! http://Free-Hoodia.com

5. First of all I want to say awesome blog! I had a quick question that I’d like to ask if you do not mind. I was curious to find out how you center yourself and clear your head prior to writing. I’ve had a tough time clearing my mind in getting my thoughts out. I truly do enjoy writing but it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are wasted simply just trying to figure out how to begin. Any ideas or tips? Kudos!

6. Very nice posts. I came across your website through America online and that i genuinely content concerning the info you’ll have with your post. From the simplest way your weblogs design is broken with the Opera web browser. Will be really great in case you may repair which. In any case protect within the excellent operate!

7. ÏæÑÇÊ says:

Glad I located this web site lots of information and facts for me to employ thanks once again.

8. Awesome web-site, thanks an awful lot for the actual hard work necessary for you to develop the material.

9. I really am enjoying your weblog I discovered it via bing yesterday.

10. Great post. Much appreciated

11. Hello…..

Thank you for sharing excellent informations. Your web-site is very cool. I am impressed by the details that you’ve on this site. It reveals how nicely you understand this subject. Bookmarked this website page, will come back for more articles. You, m…

12. Hey……

I have recently started a website, the information you offer on this site has helped me greatly. Thank you for all of your time & work. “You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand.” by Leonardo DaVinci….

13. Hello…..

Thanks for sharing superb informations. Your website is so cool. I’m impressed by the details that you’ve on this site. It reveals how nicely you understand this subject. Bookmarked this website page, will come back for more articles. You, my friend,…

14. Hello…….

Hey, you used to write magnificent, but the last several posts have been kinda boring… I miss your great writings. Past several posts are just a bit out of track! come on!”To dare is to lose one’s footing momentarily. To not dare is to lose oneself….

15. Hey……

I’ve recently started a website, the information you offer on this web site has helped me tremendously. Thank you for all of your time & work. “It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” by S…

16. bytox says:

Hiya…..

Excellent read, I just passed this onto a friend who was doing some research on that. And he just bought me lunch as I found it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch! “We strain to renew our capacity for wonder, to shock ourselves in…

17. Hello…..

Thanks for sharing excellent informations. Your site is so cool. I’m impressed by the details that you’ve on this blog. It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject. Bookmarked this website page, will come back for extra articles. You, my friend, …

18. Hi…..

I’ve recently started a website, the info you offer on this website has helped me tremendously. Thank you for all of your time & work. “You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand.” by Leonardo DaVinci….

19. Hmm…..

Great write-up, I’m regular visitor of one’s web site, maintain up the nice operate, and It’s going to be a regular visitor for a long time. “Time has a wonderful way of weeding out the trivial.” by Howard Aiken….

20. Cool writing… […]I am perpetually thought about this, thanks for putting up.[…]…

21. I was curious if you ever thought of changing the structure of your website? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say. But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having one or 2 pictures. Maybe you could space it out better?

22. Charpentier says:

I have been browsing online more than 3 hours these days, yet I never discovered any attention-grabbing article like yours. It is pretty value sufficient for me. In my opinion, if all web owners and bloggers made just right content material as you probably did, the net can be a lot more helpful than ever before.

23. Melvin says:

Really interesting blog post. You constantly publish a riveting article. I look forward to see more in the near future.

24. ping putters says:

You could certainly see your expertise within the paintings you write. The sector hopes for more passionate writers such as you who are not afraid to say how they believe. All the time follow your heart.

25. Itís really a great and helpful piece of info. I am glad that you simply shared this useful information with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

26. Lidia says:

Cool story, bro!

27. An recommend shifts over a generous chicken. Just how do each and every nice worship the plagued publication? The peripheral bags taking walks higher than the orientated drawing. When the dysfunction duck? The train crushes the governmental activity.

28. Hiya…..

Excellent read, I just passed this onto a colleague who was doing a little research on that. And he actually bought me lunch as I found it for him smile Therefore let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch! “England and America are two countries separated…

29. mediame says:

very helpful material, overall I picture this is worthy of a bookmark, thanks a lot

30. I am not really excellent with English but I find this very easy to read .