Challenging the IRB

When Brown University Associate Professor of Education Jin Li began her research on learning among Chinese immigrant children, she secured funding from private sources, prepared her methodology, and received approval from the IRB. As the research began, she noticed that her plan to provide $600 to all families who participated did not reflect the added effort low-income families expended on the learning assessments, so she decided to offer some families $600 and others $300.

She submitted her modified budget to the IRB and was rejected. Moreover, the Board told her she could not use data collected from families paid only $300 even though they had signed consent forms. Nor could she pay those families an additional $300 because she had run out of funds. So, she is suing Brown for harm to her research.

Originally, IRB approval was intended for research funded by federal sources. A new book, Ethical Imperialism, documents how that mission has grown to encompass all research with human subjects. Social scientists, in particular, find the restrictions ill suited for their work with interviews, archives, and oral histories. Just as under regulation can be harmful, so can overreach.

Tags: ,

21 Responses to “Challenging the IRB”

1. Anyway…got to love a good Paid to Click or Make Money at Home site, thanks for the share.

2. Great website…

Here are some of the sites we recommend for our visitors…

3. Hello there! Would you mind if I share your blog with my myspace group? There’s a lot of folks that I think would really appreciate your content. Please let me know. Many thanks

4. sale weselne says:

You should check this out…

I saw this really great post today….

5. Check this out…

6. Recommeneded website…

below you’ll find the link to some sites that we think you should visit…

7. You should check this out…

I saw this really good post today….

8. Great website…

9. Website worth visiting…

10. Recommeneded website…

I hope you’ll write sth more about it sooooon. Thx a lot!…

11. Website worth visiting…

12. Needed to send you that tiny word to finally thank you so much yet again for these precious thoughts you’ve contributed above. It’s so generous with you to allow extensively all that a lot of folks might have offered as an electronic book to generate some bucks on their own, and in particular seeing that you might have done it if you ever considered necessary. Those strategies likewise worked like a good way to comprehend most people have a similar desire just like my own to know a whole lot more when considering this issue. I am sure there are several more enjoyable situations ahead for folks who read through your website.

13. ou have a great blog here! would you like to make some invite posts on my blog?

14. mlb picks says:

aback…

thomas sabo necklaces ukor to include attractiveness toward wearer,ugg bailey button sand only the sensation of mediocrity…

15. Recent Blogroll Additions…

I saw this really great post today….

16. memorization says:

I love what you’re doing, keep it up!

17. i agree with u admin

18. Great website…

19. Sepeda motor says:

magnificent put up, very informative. You should continue your writing. I’m confident, you’ve a great readers’ base already!

20. Simply wanna comment that you have a very nice web site , I like the layout it actually stands out.

21. Pulsa Murah says:

Regards for this wonderful post, I am glad I discovered this internet site on yahoo.