Outing Depression

After Ben was diagnosed with Schwartz-Jampel syndrome, my world began falling apart. I don’t think it was just because of the diagnosis, I think part of it was the uncertainty of what he and all of us would be facing. Up until May 2003, I had become as expert as possible on Marfan, Ehlers-Danlos, and Stickler syndromes, the three major diagnoses doctors had considered for Ben. SJS came out of the blue–and what was worse, very little was known about it. How was I going to become an expert?

In July 2003, as I was spiralling downward, I self-administered the Beck Depression Inventory, and was shocked that I scored in the severe range. I’ll never be able to fully describe the cloud, the fog, the fear, the anger, the despair that comprises depression. But I thought, “I have a PhD in psychology, I know what to do”. Of course I didn’t. I went to my primary care provider, who prescribed Lexapro–which had recently come on the market–but she knew of NO psychologists or clinical social workers to refer me to. My countless calls to unknown therapists resulted in zilch. I finally found a psychoanalyst through a friend, but after 6 months of seeing her, I realized I didn’t have 5 years to figure out a solution to my problem. The psychoanalyst had sent me to a psychiatrist to get my medication right, and it was this doctor, being one of the few psychiatrists who actually engage in cognitive-behavioral therapy ,who finally helped me reach recovery. And he helped wean me off Lexapro, which had stopped my rage, despair and anger, but had left me in a near-zombie like state.

I always felt the need to go public with my depression experiences–it was my own anti-stigma campaign. I chronicled some of my experiences in a commentary in the journal Pediatrics, I was a featured speaker at a Family Voices conference in South Carolina on this topic, and I’ve been a guest speaker in a BUSPH class on maternal and child health to talk about this as well.

But it was wonderful to experience someone else going public with their mental illness story last night. Sherin and I saw the play “Sick”, performed at BU by the Seattle-based monologuist, Elizabeth Kenny. Elizabeth, after developing depressive-like symptoms as a result of hormone medication for ovarian cysts, was sent to a psychiatrist, who first put her on Paxil, then Celexa, and finally Lexapro, while other physicians added Klonopin and then Zyprexia to the mix. The narrative is about her developing psychotic symptoms while she was taking both SSRIs and anti-psychotics, and how these meds ended up making her toxic and taking away 2 1/2 years of her life. The story is powerful, and will be very familiar to those who have tried to fix one health problem, yet the “fix” only creates other health problems. Elizabeth’s case was extreme, but as one physician from the crowd pointed out, she was never referred to an endocrinologist, which was what should have happened in the beginning.

I was once asked by a friend and colleague what it feels like to tell my story about depression. It’s definitely uncomfortable, but if I won’t do it, who will? Elizabeth Kenny will–kudos to Elizabeth for her commanding performance about the problems with U.S. mental health care. She began her public journey by speaking to psychiatrists at Cambridge Hospital about her experiences, and now she’s traveling across the country in her one-woman show. I won’t be joining her on stage, but I commend her spirit.

Mary Katherine Quasarano posted on April 5, 2012 at 5:39 am

Now I know why I rose early this morning – it was to read this post. One of my favorite quotes comes from C.S. Lewis. “Friendship begins with this statement: You too? I thought I was the only one.” With this post, you become friend to so many, dear one. Thank you always for the model of bravery, faith, vulnerability, courage, intelligence, hope, and above all – love – you are to me and so many others. Celebrate your hard-won resurrections from your many agonies in the garden.

deidra witschorke posted on April 5, 2012 at 6:18 am

Amen.

Stacey Francis posted on April 5, 2012 at 9:48 am

My second pregnancy was a nightmare. Long story short, I ended up being fed thought a pic line and at 17 weeks we discovered our little girl had a rare chromosome disease and had already died. The day after Christmas I delivered her still born. My hormones and brain chemicals were out of control and the PPD that ensued was indescribable. Fortunately I found a psychiatrist that specialized in PPD because Lexapro (every family and OB doctor’s drug of choice) didn’t help at all. I’m doing much better now but still on the drugs….hopefully I can start weaning off them soon. Sorry to hear you went through a similar experience. It’s hell! But its also a topic that needs discussing.

Prateep Ghose posted on April 5, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Dear Rani,

You are a brave and courageous advocate! Mary Quasarano told Mom that we had raised a lioness. How true that is! You are indeed a lioness in your passion and your willingness to share of yourself. You will touch so many people with your sharing. You will change lives. Depression needs to be discussed openly so many others can benefit from these discussions. Thank you for doing what you are doing. Love, Dad.

Andrea Ghose posted on April 6, 2012 at 11:16 am

I cannot add to either Mary Catherine’s or Dad’s comments. I thank God for the beautiful and generous and loving person that you are. Love, Mom

Rani Elwy posted on April 12, 2012 at 9:38 am

MKQ, your words meant a million things to me, all positive. Thanks for taking the time to post! Rani x

patrick tynan posted on April 16, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Rani, Thank you for sharing, your blog brings inspiration to me, I sit in my room reading about your challenges while tears run down my face, my tears are not caused by sadness but by joy that you are strong enough to talk about your depression, I am so proud of you. Uncle Patrick

joker123 ios posted on May 3, 2020 at 6:14 am

Perhaps the biggest problem that gamblers usually encounter is losing a large pile funds. There are huge payouts available playing Craps and it is often played both in the download and flash versions.