What’s Up With Attorney General Holder?

Take a look at or read Wednesday’s comments by Attorney General Eric Holder.  Reading newspapers and listening to the news stations, I know that the nation’s AG ticked off a lot of people when, in his prepared remarks, he said, “Though this nation has proudly thought of itself as an ethnic melting pot, in things racial we have always been and continue to be, in too many ways, essentially a nation of cowards.”

Many folks were amped that the Attorney General of the United States called us cowards.  Is it possible for us to be cowards when Americans appear to have leaped to a few significant moments, including the appointment of a Black person as Attorney General? What causes the anger over this comment? And, the tougher question – is Eric Holder right?

It’s worth watching, listening to, or reading Attorney General Holders complete remarks. It’s also worth it to continue a discussion.

Peace.

Lori Dougherty posted on February 20, 2009 at 8:28 am

Is Holder right? I think he is. For in addition to calling Americans cowards, he also says “we, average Americans, simply do not talk enough with each other about race… [but] if we are to make progress in this area we must feel comfortable enough with one another, and tolerant enough of each other, to have frank conversations about the racial matters that continue to divide us.” It’s easy (and lazy) to jump on the sensational remark and overlook the real message: that we have come far, in fits and starts, but we have far to go, and we will not get anywhere by patting ourselves on the back for our sporadic moments of grace (like electing President Obama) but keeping our heads in the sand the rest of the time. Thanks for posing the question!

Leyla Kayi posted on February 20, 2009 at 3:14 pm

Hi Kenn. Thanks for posting this and posing the question. I think he is right in many ways but that it’s not necessarily limited to race. I believe there is great fear among Americans of any difference…ethnic, religious, racial, sexual orientation… I’ve often wondered why it is that so many of us are inclined to confront difference with anger, violence and intolerence, putting up walls and ensconsing ourselves more deeply in the familiar rather than approaching it with curiosity, respect and an open mind. I’ve often been frustrated by that within my own family and often realize that I remained silent during many a teachable moment. It’s something I work on every day. It’s also why I refuse to live in the closet as a lesbian. I believe that the more I have the opportunity to engage with others the more they see the commonalities. It’s harder to be fearful of someone you know and like.

Best to you and yours.

kennmore posted on February 21, 2009 at 4:06 pm

Additional perspective on Holder’s comment and the need to “keep it real” in our conversations and interactions: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/21/opinion/21blow.html?_r=1&ref=opinion