Blind Spots

We spend a lot of time on Blind Spots in my ethics classes. I find it amazing to learn how often the situation trumps our values, and how our minds literally play tricks on us. While awareness of the Blind Spots are a first step , we do need strategies to avoid falling prey to mistakes like the slippery slope, rationalization, and conformity bias. This article has several really practical suggestions for how to avoid Blind Spots in the workplace. But, all of these suggestions would help in life as well.

I think my favorite tip is the first: have a Devil’s Advocate. People that surround themselves with people that agree with them don’t get very far in life. Lawyers are pretty good at picking holes in each other’s arguments, and playing devil’s advocate, so this is a role to which I am accustomed. It is contrary to the popular idea that you should surround yourself with like-minded people at work (or in life). I guess as a former litigator, conflict is never a bad thing in my eyes. For others with a gentler spirit, this tip may be a challenge.

Check out the article for the other two tips.