Ethical Questions College Students Face

A colleague sent me this article that addresses the top ethical dilemmas most college students face. Take some time to think about each question. For my LA346 students, apply your life principles to these questions, and see where you land. Just thinking about these questions ahead of time will help all of us avoid pitfalls that lead us to making decisions that conflict with our values.

What we really should do is create a list of top ethical questions every employee will face. Aha! A new assignment.

Lisa Cottle posted on October 15, 2012 at 11:35 pm

I think this is a great article for college freshmen. Within the first few months in college you are often faced with most of these questions and the last thing you know how to do is answer them. I feel fortunate in the fact that I think I was fairly well prepared for college because of the cards life dealt me before hand. I had more experience taking care of myself and making choices for myself then I know a lot of my freshman year peers did. For those that aren’t well accustomed to this kind of life it can be overwhelming. Freshman year we were alone and in need of company. I’m sure most students first goal was to find friends that they clicked with, but what happens when someone breaks the rules? You want to still be accepted, but you want to fit in too. It can get complicated. These questions do tend to follow you through out life in different forms and I found that it’s all a matter of setting up core values to follow. As long as I stayed true to myself and was honest with the people I surrounded myself with I never really had to deal with anything so intense and always managed to get along.

Dora Mwangi posted on October 17, 2012 at 6:24 pm

In terms of the question “What is college worth to me?”, I think that it is easier to view it from the latter view than the former because in this economy, a liberal arts education doesn’t seem to be taking people far. I recently read an article that said that liberal arts majors are some of the less paying jobs in America alongside social workers. In regards to the “everyone is doing it” comment from question 5, this reminded me of the projection perceptual error where people believe that others are doing the same thing as you when in reality they are not.

Stephen Wong posted on October 21, 2012 at 11:41 am

Wow, this article hit right on the mark with all the questions that I had to face my freshman year at BU and I’m sure all the new freshman everywhere else. Graduating from an extremely small single-sex private high school (my graduating class was apps 40-45 students) and coming to BU the next year was a huge dramatic life changing event for me.

I struggled with the transition at first because personally I faced a lot of choices that I hadn’t really considered back home. My high school was tight and with a bunch of other guys it was easy to get along (talk about sports, electronics, video games, etc). So coming to BU, I felt lost the first few months because I had to be much more independent, open my scope of knowledge to be conversant in everything, and adjust to the fact that I had to be the one to get involved, otherwise I would’ve been even more lost.

From “how far was I willing to go to be accepted” to “will casual sex be part of my life”, it continues to look me right in the eye even today. However, I believe I have found a great group of friends that are aligned with my personality and traits and ultimately let me be myself. I’m not pressured by my friends to d o embarrasing things or hook up with every girl at a party. I have faced so many life challenges in college and have learned so many life skills from them. Today, I feel like a stronger person, because I have identified myself with good people and stayed strong to my beliefs, not letting other change the person I truly am. So when it comes to the first question, “What is college worth to me”, i think its a priceless experience that is so essential to growing up.

Cristian Martinez posted on October 21, 2012 at 6:25 pm

I think this article is great, and definitely a “should read,” for any incoming freshman. I think today college life, and just overall youth, places a big emphasis on who you are as a person socially. You know, if you’re not doing X thing then you are not cool, or if you are doing Y thing then you are definitely not cool. Given, i’m not saying everyone is like this, but definitely at one point or another everyone might feel a little self conscious on what they do! The friends you associate yourself with definitely have a big impact as who you are as a person. Coming into college, I was super excited to make friends and just overall have my own group of friends who accepted me as I am. Fortunately, I think I have found that, and even though sometimes you try to fit in to be in a certain clique or group, at the end you always end up going to those who accept you entirely, as my case is. Great article!

Miriam Kim posted on October 22, 2012 at 10:41 am

This article touched on many topics and inquiries that students face throughout their time in college. Amongst these topics, the most influential issue seems to be the question, “What is college worth to me?” I think many college students still attend college and blindly study a field of expertise that will help them secure a job in the future, regardless of whether or not their classes truly spark their interests. However, people in life gain happiness and pleasure from doing activities that they enjoy. Likewise, in school settings, students who are driven by their passion are much more likely to take the initiative to learn and naturally perform better. In regards to the question, “What is college worth to me?” I believe I should pursue a major that I personally enjoy studying and see the value in learning. In doing so, I may not only gain happiness, but also personal growth that stems from meaningful learning. Ultimately, meaningful learning leads to a student acquiring skills to grow and become a valuable individual for work in society.

Tao posted on October 29, 2012 at 5:18 am

This article is beneficial to college students. Actually, I met the problems mentioned above except the last one. I really confused about which university to go at first. However, the different thing is that my top concern is whether this university has good academic reputation. As an international student, America is new to me, and as a student, academic elements are the vial things I need to concern with. The second question is very true. In university, you will meet a lot of different people. You cannot like them all. When you meet someone you do not like the best policy is just trying to avoid conflicts. We cannot ask everyone to be same as our own, so we need to allow the existence of differences. The accepted question arouses my feelings about trying to be accepted by this new society. It is really hard to get involved in a new society which speaks a different kind of language as your native language. Thus, till now, most of my friends are Chinese. As for the fourth problem, I think I have figured that our before entering university. I seldom tell others about one person’s wrong behaviors or personal things. This is a kind of personal protection. I do not want to cause trouble. However, if my friend makes mistakes I will tell him/ her and try to force him/ her to correct it before it becomes too late.

Steph posted on November 3, 2012 at 1:44 pm

This is article is actually really on point. I would suggest it to any incoming freshman, it really provides insightful information in regards to college life. All these topics and areas of issues are what really come in to play during your first couple of months of college. This is due especially of the fact that your parents are not around so you can do anything you want. The key point is that you have to realize that when are doing something wrong you’re only hurting yourself, not your parents. One of the topics in particular that really struck me was “What is college worth to me?”. Many students change their majors all the time, and going to such an expensive school like BU, it’s important to know what you want so that you can take advantage of your time here.

Kandyce Graber posted on November 12, 2012 at 12:06 pm

This article is so true. I actually had an assignment earlier in the semester to write an essay about what higher education means to me. It’s funny that even though I had already gone through the college application process, and even completed my first year of college, I had never thought about what college means to me. I think many students overlook this and simply attend college because it is what society, or their parents, or friends expect of them. Many also attend just to get a job. However, there is much more. It’s definitely a question I think should be thought about when students are still in high school. As for the rest of the questions, I think we have all been faced with similar situations. Roommates aren’t the only people we have the potential to disagree with. SMG has so many team projects, we are bound to run into someone with a different viewpoint. In all, I enjoyed this article. It really displayed some of the main issues that we all face in college.

sample resumes posted on October 12, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Needed to put you that very small observation so as to thank you so much once again for your stunning thoughts you’ve documented in this case. This has been quite remarkably generous of people like you to make without restraint exactly what most of us would have advertised as an e book to make some money on their own, specifically since you might have tried it in the event you considered necessary. The pointers likewise acted to become a fantastic way to realize that many people have similar dreams the same as my personal own to see a good deal more in regard to this condition. I’m certain there are several more pleasurable instances ahead for individuals that take a look at your blog.

curriculum vitae posted on October 18, 2013 at 12:11 am

You’re so interesting! I don’t believe I’ve truly read through anything like this before. So wonderful to discover another person with unique thoughts on this subject. Seriously.. thank you for starting this up. This site is something that is needed on the web, someone with a bit of originality!

replica designer handbags suppliers posted on November 27, 2013 at 11:47 pm

Awesome purse,great seller thanks!!!!

freebies and coupons reviews posted on January 25, 2014 at 12:55 am

I was really curious to find more about this, luckily I’ve found your blog.

steam shower with whirlpool tub posted on June 27, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Adore this blogging site, amazing work

technology blog posted on January 23, 2016 at 7:25 pm

I’ve asked my older sister countless times to format my computer because I’m experiencing lag in the game I play. Btw, this computer has been formatted 4-5 times. But whenever I ask my sister to format my computer, she says no because she says that if you format a computer too much, the computer itself gets slower than it already was. Is this true? Or is that an excuse to get out of formatting my computer because it takes away her 2-3 hours?.