Alumni Profiles: Christian Rose

Thanks for taking the time to let us know how you’re doing! To begin, can we tell our readers how many years you spent at BU?
I transferred from a community college in California, and so I spent only two years at BU before graduating.

Where do you currently live?
I live in Livermore, CA, a suburb about an hour drive to the east of San Francisco. They’re very proud of their wine here.

Where do you work and what position do you hold?
My work is funded by AmeriCorps, but I’m employed by Blueprint Schools Network, a national non-profit that addresses education inequality. To this end, I teach 7thgrade math at Elmhurst Community Prep, a middle school in east Oakland. During school, I have 5 periods of 4 students each– generally, those students that I can provide the most support to toward meeting their grade level math standards.

What type of work have you done up until now?
Really, anything that is needed help my students improve each day, I’m trying my best to do. This means lesson planning, researching and thinking of new academic and behavioral strategies and structures, grading (and doing so on time is so tough, give your professors a break), so forth.

In the couple of months I’ve spent here, I’ve noticed that many of my kids struggle with reading, so I’m in the process of starting an after-school reading tutoring program at my school that would provide free services to students.

I also tutor reading privately out of my home and work at the Oakland Coliseum. Oh, and studying for the LSAT whenever I can– keep those GPAs up, future JDs!

Now that you’re a few years past graduation, looking back what would you say have been the benefits of your Core education?
There’s really no question that Core was the most important part of my education at BU, both by introducing me to influential professors/staff who’ve given direction for my ambitions and by facilitating a broad, liberal education.

There were two tips from my Core education that meant a good deal: first, to use and hone the skills that you have to serve the community you want to help (this is why I’m teaching and tutoring during my gap year), and second, that the best way to have a lasting impact is to rock your academics, go to the best grad schools, get the best jobs, and put yourself in a position to create change.

What book did you encounter in the Core that impacted you the most?
Maybe I’m just under the influence of Red Dragon, but William James is my favorite poet now after Core. Maybe that also just says my mind operates best at a nursery rhyme level. Who knows?

What do you miss more about the Core office?
I haven’t been a part of a community that could be more passionate and mobilize faster when confronted with a challenge, whether its our members being threatened in some way, or taking up a cause.

Anything else you want to share?
Hey Core students, get involved with Core groups and groups that are run by Core members, because they’re the best ones.

Want to get directly involved in criminal justice reform? Join the Petey Greene Program and tutor incarcerated people.

Want to be a part of hands down the fastest-growing and best all-around group on campus that I have no biased opinion of whatsoever? Join Hoochie, the feminist student publication that was founded at Core (multiple times)! Its got academics, activism, a broad range of interest. Its really the Renaissance WOMAN of student groups (#feminism).

Christian, here pictured stealing every single heart.

Want to follow Christian on Twitter? Who wouldn’t? He can be found here: @feedcrose
Wanna do him a favor, and check out the Petey Greene Program? You can do so here, and if you’d like to follow Hoochie on Twitter, they can be found here: @hoochiewoman.