Summer Workshop for News Publication Advisers
The New England Scholastic Press Association invites news publication advisers to a workshop, How to Advise a Scholastic News Publication, Monday, June 26- Friday, June 30, 2017 at Boston University in the College of Communication.
Based on participants’ priorities, sessions will include how to
- Keep a journalistic balance
- Deal with legal and ethical considerations
- Teach the staff to cover the school and its community
- Teach the staff to write and edit news, features and sports along with maintaining a lively forum for student opinion
- Motivate the staff
- Teach fundamentals of photojournalism and design
- Maintain a good relationship with the principal, faculty and parents
- Use special pages, special sections and spreads as training vehicles
- Plan, set goals and schedule copy flow for print and online
- Manage the business side
- Critique the publication
- Make the most of professional resources.
In addition to a variety of lab assignments, participants will present critiques and complete curriculum projects. There will be lectures, discussions and lab work. Sessions will be 10-4 with a break for lunch.
Participants should bring with them a set of news publications students have produced during the 2015-2016 academic year. The fee is $300. The deadline for registration is Friday, May 26. Click here for the application.
NESPA provides PDPs to Massachusetts teachers. Helen Smith, executive director of the New England Scholastic Press Association, will be the lead teacher.
For more information, please contact Helen Smith at email@example.com.
For details, please download the PDF.