- “Genesis starts with ‘In the beginning’; and that is always a great place to start.”
- “The Bible’s stories, laws, and beliefs decisively influenced the western imagination; biblical heroes became models for kings and commoners, and taught westerners how to act, what to pursue, how to govern and rule.”
- “The Bible has been many a person’s favorite book—the text one might bring along to a solitary island, or if one wanted something to read in jail.”
- “We are still coming to terms with this dwarfing of a text that, until not too long ago, was a towering monument of the ancient world; so towering, in fact, that it was believed to reach all the way to heaven.”
- “What does God do on the seventh day? He rests. Good for Him.”
- “It’s like the story of Pandora’s Box. If you put women in the mix everything goes wrong: labor, childbirth, gender relations, and so on. Everything goes wrong.”
As recorded by Core office employee Winona Hudak during Prof. Michael Zank‘s introduction to the book of Genesis this morning in CC101.