Do You Have to be From Here?

Pronounce it “Glou-ces-ter” or “Pea-BODY” and the phone will ring!…If you’re lucky it won’t be your News Director (if he/she knows the difference)….Confuse Doug with Darren or Billy or Billy Jr. and your editor will stare at you with daggers!..The point being, you’re not supposed to know everything about your new hometown but as a newcomer it sure helps…

Moving to a new market is daunting at any stage…Coming out of college and landing in Panama City or Idaho Falls isn’t what you hoped for but it’s part of the process and as skeptical as you are about them, make no mistake, you’re the “new kid on the block” and have to prove yourself…In smaller markets you can start slower but make a big leap and you’re in the thick of it…

At the Boston University Sports Journalism Seminar Series recently Jackie Pepper of Comcastsportsnet New England tried to make the jump from market number 162 to Boston, currently number seven according to AC Nielsen…Said Pepper, “One of the reasons Comcast turned me down three times was because i had no ties to the area.  And that was very important to them.  It’s been a sizable disadvantage and it’s really tough”…A new town, new faces, new teams and no personal background, a tough act to pull off…

A relatively fresh face to the dot.com platform, Jeff Howe was no stranger to the area, however…A graduate of UMass, Howe worked at dailies in Worcester and Boston as well as the MetroWest before joining the stable at NESN,com…While new to the video world his background and familiarity with the workings of the local scene were invaluable and he made the transition seamlessly, “If you know the area, you automatically know the history of all the teams you grew up watching”…No small difference…

But the point is, every place you go, you’ll be the one who just moved to town and it’s your job to figure out what it takes to do the job there…In the smaller markets it’s introducing yourself around, the high school coaches and athletes and if you’re lucky, the same people on a small college level…Remember, you are both newcomers…you’re gonna have a full plate, first job and all, making relationships, learning your craft (including making your mistakes) and positioning yourself for the next move…Pepper was in Idaho Falls, Idaho for fourteen months and says she just felt like she was getting comfortable when the call came to Boston…Time to start the process all over again…

Find someone you can trust…Ask questions…And if you’re luck enough to get back to Boston, there’s an Eastie, and a Southie, but no Northie or Westie!..Wareham and Dedham are pronounced differently…There’s  “Z” in Quincy and Swampscott has a “U”…more to come…

Francis posted on September 19, 2010 at 12:36 pm

The past two years most journalism professors have told me that my first job will be out in the middle of nowhere. For a guy who has never lived further than five miles of Boston, I didn’t want to hear it. Especially for a person who wants to go into sports journalism, why would I want to go anywhere else?

After listening to Jackie Pepper, who also grew up in a big market but had to move to Idaho, I started to realize that maybe I will just have to go somewhere other than Boston for a year or two. I’ll have to learn about a whole new place and the people that live there. You definitely have to do your homework because you are going to want to impress everyone. The people are going to know that you’re a newcomer but you don’t want to make it too obvious when you don’t know what you are talking about.

It was good to hear about Jackie’s experience when she first went out to Idaho and had to do most things by herself. You’re not going to have the resources you would have in a place like Boston. It’s a scary thing to think about since it could happen soon. However, I also feel better knowing that she got turned down three times by CSNNE because she wasn’t from Boston. Maybe that could work to my advantage in a few years.

Of course, I’m always holding out hope that I could be as fortunate as Jeff Howe and never have to leave Boston.

Matt Goisman posted on September 19, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Places like Boston have great appeal for sports writers. In an August survey, Forbes Magazine concluded that Boston has the most devoted fans in all of sports, with the Red Sox first overall, the Pats fifth, and the Celtics seventh (highest basketball fanbase on the list). They based this report on home & away attendance, merchandise sales, and “in-market” popularity, which I think broadcast journalists will understand better than me. So the appeal to work in a place like this, especially for those of us who grew up here, is large.
What I found interesting is that not every journalist agrees with Professor Shorr’s and Jackie Pepper’s notion of starting small. Jeff Howe parlayed his local knowledge into a job with the Boston Metro and then NESN. And Joe Haggerty warned that if you get stuck in a small market, “you might never leave.”
But clearly starting small has its advantages. Aside from getting a smaller viewership base to “cut your teeth on” (fewer people seeing your mistakes), Pepper described a sense of community with the other journalists that she hasn’t matched since moving to Boston. Everyone is in the same boat, and relatively the same age. You make more friends in smaller markets.
I was told a story once of a dance major who refused to take any job that wasn’t directly related to dance. It meant a lot of small jobs, but he’s cobbled a living together and is very happy with his decision. I think the lesson is that we shouldn’t be afraid of small markets if that’s all there is (and that may be the case). Sports is still sports no matter how many people watch it; What we love about sports still applies at the local level. And while we can always look for the next highest market, if we take what’s available to us without compromising on the job type (Pepper warned us that if you start out on the production track, you’ll never get in front of the camera), we’ll be happy in the end.

Lia Poin posted on September 20, 2010 at 12:47 pm

I think it’s important to be hearing this kind of advice from newcomers like Jackie Pepper and Jeff Howe. Even though Jeff is from the Boston area and Jackie isn’t, I think they both had valuable advice to give us. Jeff managed to make a name for himself in the Boston area right after he graduated, but Jackie has also found a career in Boston and she doesn’t have the same background as Jeff. It’s possible to make a name for yourself in a big city like Boston, as Jeff did, but it’s also possible to get a job here if you aren’t from the area, like Jackie.
I don’t think one background is better than the other, though. Jeff mentioned Jade McCarthy, one of the NESN Daily anchors. She was originally from Newton, moved around a bit and got experience, and now is back in Boston. She had to move away for some time before she could make it in the big market of Boston. Jackie had to go through the same process. Jeff did not. I’m not sure if it matters so much that she is on camera and Jeff isn’t, I think that it depends on the situation and it depends on the person. I think it could be beneficial to move away and cover a small market for TV, radio or print. Everyone needs to start somewhere, but sometimes doors open in the city that you are already in through internships or connections. I think it’s important to keep an open mind though, and if you have to move to nowheresville to do that then that is what you have to do to make it.
Every person who has spoken to us so far has told us that this isn’t an easy job. It’s a job that takes 110% every day. I think it’s important that they are telling us this because they are right. If we’re not willing to pack up and move for our careers, then we should find something else to do. It’s also good to hear this advice because we have to realize that when we’re out in the industry after college, we’re going back to the bottom of the totem pole. It’s important that we know that and it’s important that we remember that in reality, no job is beneath us because we’re at the bottom. Just last night at my NESN internship a colleague told me that he sees too many college kids who think they are the best and that kind of attitude doesn’t fly there. He reminded me that I need to be humble and take whatever opportunity I find once I graduate, and I think that Jeff and Jackie are sending the same message to us.

Emily posted on September 20, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Boston may have some of the greatest fans and some of the best teams to watch and cheer on, but if you are a sports fan, you will love the sports no matter where you go. That is the great thing about sports. The camaraderie and the spirit are intense no matter where you go or what sport you are watching. It may be the Red Sox that draw excitement in Boston, or the Lakers that draw viewership in Los Angeles, but it may be the Campolindo Cougar Swimming team in Moraga, California or the Wildcats football team in Birchwood, Wisconsin that is important to the locals.
While it may be a culture shock to move to a different region, you have the opportunity to be an integral part to the sports and people that they hold dear: local sports. It may be hard to learn the logistics and the key players on each team, but it will be easier to forge important and lasting relationships. You hold the news, game analysis, data scores, and often-exclusive coverage to their teams and the pride of the city. Whether you like it or not, in small towns, being welcomed into their homes via the local news station or the local paper, means that they are welcoming you into their families.
Moving to a smaller market will not only be a vital professional learning opportunity, but also a great opportunity for personal growth. New friendships will be forged, and you really never know what you will encounter. The teams you cover may not generate the revenue or the exposure that the Patriots do, but to some, they are the only teams that matter.
It was great to hear from people who have gone through these experiences, people who will soon be our peers. I know that their discussion left me looking ahead a few years, wondering where I may be. While, Pepper’s salary after taxes is not necessarily worth looking forward to ($14,000) the experience and skill that she gained was priceless. The book The Cluetrain Manifesto says, “people at the bottommost tiers of an organization often have far more valuable knowledge than managers and corporate control freaks.” That being said, enthusiasm and the knowledge that we have gained here at BU can go along way, and maybe even further in a small market.

Jake Safane posted on September 20, 2010 at 4:44 pm

We all have dreams of where we want to be after college, and I think that Jackie and Jeff are good examples of how the combination of hard work and talent can get you wherever you want to go. On the one hand, Jeff pretty much has the dream job for a local guy, and he seems to really enjoy his work. He successfully utilized his opportunities in Lowell, UMass, and at the Metro in Boston to quickly rise through the ranks. Most people have to start in a smaller market, but he made the most of each opportunity and contact that he made in his young career. Additionally, he took advantage of the fact that he was raised in the area and thus knows the sports scene well. He stressed that we have a great resource on campus, The Daily Free Press, and if we use the opportunities we have waiting in front of us, it’s possible to make it where we want to be. Again, by maximizing what we have, we can go far.

On the other hand, Jackie came from outside Boston, which initially hindered her, but she used her extroversion to her advantage. By finding the VP of Comcast on Facebook and setting up an interview, she showed how a little creativity and guts can also get you where you want to be in this business. While in Idaho, she worked extremely hard as a “one-man band,” giving her both the experience and the toughness necessary to move up to the Boston market. Once she arrived here, she was able to overcome the challenge of being far away by working hard to catch up on the local scene, such as by studying up for the Beanpot all night. So like Jeff, she utilized the opportunities she had (even if the viewership in Idaho was small) and used her personality to her advantage.

Most importantly, both newcomers stressed that we’re not as good as we think we are coming out of college, and unless we remain humble, we won’t get very far. As Lia said, the attitude of “I’m the bees knees” doesn’t fly, so we need to take a reality check on ourselves. Work hard, make the most of your chances, and be outgoing, and you can enter big markets like Boston, even if you’re from out of town.

Molly posted on September 20, 2010 at 9:02 pm

I think Emily really hit it home: the intensity and camaraderie that surrounds a sport and its fans is the same. Whether you’re in Boston after the Celtics win an NBA Championship, or in a small town in Texas following the local high school football team’s state championship victory. Fans, local or national, love their teams.

While Jackie’s story of moving to Idaho to become the “one-man band” is comforting to aspiring journalists (and others in any communication field), it is also one that seems familiar. I chose to attend school in Boston, moving from a small no-name town in southern New Jersey to the big city and home of New England sports. I grew up as a Philadelphia fan, and it has definitely taken me some time to learn about the key players and historical moments in Boston. Although Jeff Howe’s story is one I cannot relate to, I hope that some day I will be able to return to Philadelphia to work. His knowledge of Boston sports is definitely one of value to his career, and after hearing him talk about his job it is evident that he truly loves what he does.

That being said, I agree with both Lia and Jake’s comments regarding the importance of humility during this time in our careers. I’m slowly learning that having to move to yet another no-name town in another part of the country might not be as bad as it seems. Yes, after going from a no-name town in New Jersey to the big city of Boston it will definitely be a challenge, but the experience that I gain from slowly working my way up the totem pole will make the view from the top all that more rewarding.

Tristan Hobbes posted on September 20, 2010 at 9:55 pm

I was a senior in high school and my assignment in English class was to write a research paper on the career that I wanted to pursue. Knowing what I wanted to do was easy but the research really opened my eyes to what I was going to have to do to be successful.

I realized becoming a sports broadcaster, or anything involved with being on air with sports, was going to take a lot of work. And one of the first answers I got when I interviewed the local sports anchor was you will probably start in a small town in the middle of nowhere.

Five and half years later, that remains the same. This is an industry where there might not be much turnover in the top markets. And like Emily said, sports is still sports to these small markets. In fact, being the “one-man band” in a small market makes it that much more fun and exciting. That market knows you, they trust you and you do become part of their family. And being that one-man band will help any of us develop all sorts of skills. When you have to depend on yourself, its amazing what you can do. All of that experience will help you transition into the big market job you have always wanted.

As for being new on the scene, its all about confidence. We use to say on my baseball team, confidence not cockiness. Anytime you enter a new market, or anything new, there will be a learning curve and that’s the exciting part of it; immersing yourself into your role and becoming the best you can be. But its very important, as Lia mentioned, to understand your role. No one wants a smart-ass kid just out of college, they want a kid that knows what he wants to do, knows what he needs to do and will do it all with 150%.

My mom reminds me every day that I will not be making much money but the idea of working my way from a small town, maybe even Utica, NY, to a big market only makes the juices flow even more.

And maybe one day well see each other in Elmira, NY or Walla Walla, WA.

Chris posted on September 21, 2010 at 9:26 am

Let’s be honest folks. The future is daunting, no matter what way we look at it.

In roughly seven months–three for a few of us (Tristan, don’t go!)–we’re done here. We’re walking off–or maybe getting kicked out is the better phrase?–with a diploma, a pat on the back, and some good wishes from professors and peers who will remain here, at this school, in this city, while we’re expected to move on and seamlessly integrate ourselves into one of the most intimidating industries out there.

Since last year, probably in JO 351 (the first newsroom class for undergrads), I’ve been told over and over again that there is virtually no chance that we will find a job here, in this market, whether it’s TV or print, for varying reasons. And then a certain professor started mentioning International Falls, Minnesota, or God-Knows-Where, Louisiana during every one of his classes. I got it. I have to leave this city to crack into the industry. And maybe a year or two ago, I would’ve been fine with that. But now? Not so much.

Cue up Jackie and Jeff’s seminar, and that only further cemented that notion. In one regard, it was great to see how two relatively recent additions to the sports journalism world are doing so well, at least by my standards. If I accomplish even half of what they have already within five years of my graduation, I’ll be content. It was an eye-opener to see it from two different angles: the Southern Cal. girl who left it all behind to get a shot at her dream job, and the local kid and contributor for the student paper at UMass-turned local paper reporter-turned-NESN.com reporter. Yes, it sounds a little cheesy, but it was necessary to see for a number of reasons.

With the state of journalism being what it is, I’d be lying if I said I was confident I’d have a job this time next year. I could not be more unsure of what’s going to happen, to be honest. But Jackie and Jeff’s stories and young careers represent a glimmer of home–that it’s not only possible to get to the level they are at, but that I drew some comparisons to what they were doing when they were my age while still in school.

Going back to the whole leaving town thing–do we really have to go? Sure, there’s hardly a chance I’ll have a chance to stay and work in Boston, but who says there isn’t something in Providence, or in Worcester, or Manchester (…maybe not Manchester). Look at what Jeff did, going from UMass to Metro to NESN. Why couldn’t that be one of us, with the dot.com platform really taking off? Why couldn’t it be me? A number of us have experience covering teams on campus, some of us have worked at the FeeP or WTBU. Yeah, I’ll probably need to know someone to get the break that Jeff did, but that’s all part of the process. I’ll be writing for the men’s hockey team for WTBU again this year, and after just last season I can already say I’ve met more people through “networking” than I thought possible–some in more memorable ways than another…

We newcomers all share that same drive, as Jackie and Jeff did right off the bat, and I think that will be a huge advantage for us no matter where we decide to go. No matter if it’s Boise or Buffalo. I think we all needed to hear Jackie and Jeff’s stories to show that it’s possible for both–if you want to stay relatively close, there’s a chance, and if you’re willing to be that sports anchor in the middle of nowhere, you can. Sure, maybe you’ll grow more both professionally and personally if you left it all behind like Jackie did, but at this point, aren’t we going to be alone in the industry at the beginning no matter where we go?

The silver lining in it all, as Emily pointed out, is that our passion for being sports journalists, for breaking stories, for being THAT beat writer for whatever team it is–seeing your name at the top of a story, a feature, a recap, a column–that passion will continue to drive us, even if we may not want to do a lot of literal driving to get there.

Chris posted on September 21, 2010 at 9:29 am

(typo from my fourth graph)
***…represent a glimmer of HOPE.

Adam Silvers posted on September 21, 2010 at 12:39 pm

I’ll do my best to follow up Chris’s response, which is great btw.

It seems like we all know our futures will be daunting as we continue our career paths of trying to become sports journalists. What we don’t know is where exactly our future will take us.

Many of us have grown up in cities and can’t see ourselves working anywhere but a major city, as several people alluded to in earlier posts, but maybe that’s the point. As I listened to Jackie and Jeff talk about the very different paths they took to get into mainstream Boston sports news, it dawned on me that it doesn’t really matter if our first job is in this city or some no-name town in middle America. Believe me I’m from NYC, and I don’t want to end up somewhere in Idaho. However, the point I took away from last weeks class is that with hard work and the right attitude you will get your shot some point along the line. It’s up to us to work our way to the city we want to be in.

A common theme I’m seeing from our speakers so far is that this is not an easy business, and with more news going online everyday, it really is up to the individual worker more than the name of a major broadcast company. The article that Professor Shorr sent us on ABC’s news on campus program only made me realize that in today’s industry you need to not only know how to do a million things, but be able to perform 24 hours a day. While this seems like a daunting task, I look at it from the other side. As long as their is news I can have a job if I’m willing to go out and report on it.

Haggs alluded to it too, the first few years out of college are a weeding out process. Those who want work will find it, they may just have to travel a little farther.

Joel posted on September 21, 2010 at 9:25 pm

Being that we are all soon to become newcomers in whichever field we end up in, this seminar was great because it not only informed us of what we may experience, but also presented two totally different “newcomer” situations. I think it’s fair to say that 9/10 of us are going to end up taking a route similiar to Jackie, but bringing Jeff in shows that with the right breaks and hard work, it is possible to end up in a major market right off the bat.

Coming from a smaller city in Western Canada, I personally don’t find the idea of moving to the “middle of nowhere” as the worst possible starting point (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan doesn’t set the bar high). However, finding yourself in new surroundings can be daunting for anyone. Jackie told us that we will “suck” at first, but soon start to see improvement in the work we are putting out there. She believed that the small market is a good place to develop the skills you will need later on in your career, which makes perfect sense if you have the right attitude. I think the key at this stage, like Lia and Jake have already said, is being humble even with your fresh BU diploma in your back pocket. If you go into that sort of situation thinking you are better than everyone else, it will likely hinder you from learning as much as you can from the people who have been there longer and have experienced more then you.

One positive to the small market starting point is your ability to experiment on what works and what doesn’t. It also allows you to figure out if this is what you really want to do with your life (weeding out process). Jackie said that she ended up doing both news and sports when she was in Idaho. This caught my attention because for the longest time I thought I wanted to do sports journalism, but after some experience in news, I am starting to lean more that way. I know Jackie never said she thought she wanted to do news, but in the small market it seems like you are exposed to different areas of the media and are able to figure out what you want to do with the next 20-25 years of your life. It’s also good because you never know where or what you might find yourself covering. In my foreign reporting class, we just finished War Reporting for Cowards, by Chris Ayres, who wanted to be an entertainment reporter, but found himself embedded with US forces in Iraq. You never know, and having as much across the board experience as possible is never a bad thing.

It may not be the easiest profession to break into and there will defiantly be bumps along the way, but I think every journalist I’ve heard speak is quick to say that they have one of the greatest jobs in the world.

Brad Kasnet posted on September 22, 2010 at 2:07 pm

I was struck by versatility being a common theme between this week’s guests and last week’s. While last week’s guests stressed the importance of versatility in formats, this week’s guests spoke about the necessity of versatility in skills and subjects.

Jackie Pepper’s experiences in Idaho prove that, while we may aspire to be sports play-by-play broadcasters or anchors, it’s still crucial to be well-versed in technical skills and journalistic basics, because along the way we may be producers, editors, videographers and news reporters.

Similarly, her experience in moving to unfamiliar areas shows how quickly one must adapt to a new sports landscape in order to cover the Beanpot without ever having seen a college hockey game or cover a high school football game in a state you’ve only been in for a week.

Several other classmates touched on it and I agree that ultimately, no matter what you’re covering, sports are sports and anyone with a true passion for sports must be able to tell the stories of athletes and games at any level.

I’ve experienced this myself in several years working in collegiate sports information, where I learned that the rivalries are no less intense, the athletes’ stories are no less compelling and the games are no less dramatic on a struggling Division 2 women’s lacrosse team than a national championship ice hockey team.

A lifelong New Englander may scoff at first glance at high school football in Idaho because it doesn’t seemingly equal the importance of the Red Sox or Patriots, but there are most certainly stories to be told and passionate players, coaches, families and fans to whom these games are as important as any.

Katie posted on September 22, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Similar to Joel, I’m not from a big city and I don’t mind the prospect of moving to the middle of nowhere–as long as there’s an airport less than an hour away. I interned at a local station over the summer and even the reporters and anchors there had to start somewhere smaller. I think there’s a difference between starting as an anchor, though, and starting from print. It seems the bigger you want to make it, the smaller you have to start. Anchors will go to a small town in the middle of nowhere to get experience and move up, as we’ve been learning for years that that is what happens.

Like Jackie said, she was in a very small market to start. She made her mistakes and learned invaluable lessons from the field. The reporters I worked with over the summer did the same. I’m from a fairly small city in Ohio (Youngstown), but one reporter told me about how she had to start in a really small town in the upper peninsula of Michigan. Another started in northern New York. And one started as a camera person.

But Jeff started in Boston. I think being from here definitely helped him in his career, but so did being in print. From there, his knowledge of Boston teams and their histories helped him get his on-air work. And it’s not that what he does is easier or less important. I think it’s just the nature of broadcast that in order to get a job, you need to start small. A big market isn’t going to hire someone right out of college because they won’t be ready for the job. A print writer might not start out at Sports Illustrated, but for people who want to stay local, it’s much easier.

I really enjoyed listening to Jackie and Jeff last week. It’s always great to hear from people in the business and it’s even better to hear success stories. Jackie especially made me a little more confident that I could get my dream job, and I won’t have to spend five years in rural Montana. Obviously it’s different for everyone, but she gave me a lot of hope.

Jack Flagler posted on September 22, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Like Joel and Katie, I’m also from a small town. I grew up in Gray, Maine, which has a population of close to 6,000. I drove 30-40 minutes to school every morning and worried more about hitting a deer than I worried about hitting another driver.

When I moved to Boston for school I figured that would be it for me in a small community. I loved the city lifestyle and told myself I’d never go back. Everybody wants a change no matter where they grew up . It’s why some kids from New York City choose schools like Middlebury or Amherst and it’s why I chose BU.

But after listening to Jackie Pepper’s experience, I’ve rethought my priorities a bit. We’ve heard time and again that this industry is not easy and those who don’t learn on the job will be weeded out quickly. Sure, there may be only one bar in whatever town we move to for our first job. There may be more potato farms than expressways and the high-school football quarterback might be the biggest star in the community.

But if moving is what it takes to get my skill set ready for when the call (or the Facebook message) comes in from the big market network, then so be it.

Jeff Howe was a nice foil to Jackie because he took a totally different route and dealt with different challenges. He had the opportunity to start his career right where he wanted to be in Boston – but the advantage of growing up with the local sports teams was offset a little bit by the disadvantage of having to put his bias aside.

Both the speakers proved that no matter what market you start your career in, the most important thing that will lead to success is the willingness to work hard and get better to overcome whatever challenges might be put in front of you.

Ben posted on September 22, 2010 at 5:21 pm

The real message I got from this week is that there is no one route to making it to a big market. There is no checklist or set of instructions you need to follow to get where you want to go. We were presented with two people, in the same market, covering the same teams with polar opposite stories of how they got there. Jackie went to a market none of us had heard of, and spent over a year there. Jeff never left the market and gradually worked his way up the totem pole of popular sports new outlets. The biggest thing I got out of it was that we don’t have to narrow our career path to fit some supposed model to be successful. There is no model. You make your own.
If I can get a starting job in Boston or Philadelphia (where I’m from), than great, I’m taking it. If I have to go to some town I’ve never heard of, and need googlemaps to find, than great; I’ll pack my bags as soon as I get the call. The point is, we can’t close the door to any options that might be out there.
Other than that, a few other things resonated with me. Jackie’s story about basically being told she sucks before even starting her job really struck me. Both Jackie and Jeff talked about needing to be humble. I think we all need to realize we constantly recognize there is always room for improvement in our work, and we have to be opening to trying to improve ourselves. We can’t be afraid to step outside our comfort zone because we never know where our career might take us, and having experience in any area we can will never hurt. Jackie pictured herself as a sideline reporter. I think Jeff said he was a business major in college. Now look at where they both are.
Lastly, a thing we all have to remember is that both Jackie and Jeff were perfectly unashamed to say that they got where they are today through others taking a chance on them; Jeff with the Metro and Jackie with the Comcast VP. You can call it luck, you can call it good networking, or maybe a little(or a lot) of both, but the point I got out of it was to never close the door on anyone that could help us down the road, even if that road isn’t all that clear to us.

Jillian posted on September 22, 2010 at 9:03 pm

The job market wasn’t too kind to me when I first graduated back in 2008. Now, when 2011 rolls around, I will be re-entering the job search with a masters degree in broadcast journalism-sports reporting, and no alternative option of going back to school. Needless to say it was very beneficial for me to hear from reporters who are still pretty new in the business themselves.
A lot of what Jackie Pepper had to say were things that really hit home with me. She mentioned that she actually started working production for the NFL Network first, before moving to on-air work in small town Idaho. Jackie made the comment that it’s a lot harder to move from production to reporting, than the other way around. Another theory of Jackie’s that stood out was about using a smaller market to get all your mistakes out of the way and hone in your skills.
Both these statements got me thinking back to last April when I was applying for summer internships. I ended up accepting a position with Major League Lacrosse, located here in Boston. Two weeks later I received a call from a friend at ESPN offering me a production internship with the network in Los Angeles. After careful thinking I stuck with MLL. In the end I got so much hands on experience with conducting post-game interviews, editing packages, posting to the web, and working with professional athletes that I never would have got from behind the scenes at ESPN. I’m glad I made my mistakes in the smaller, lower viewership MLL rather than in the big-time ESPN corporation. Starting small and working your way up is beneficial on so many levels.
It seems like a lot of the class has reservations about possibly having to leave Boston at first and start in some middle-of-nowhere town. Personally, I choose this career path partly because I do want to travel to different places, I want to meet new people, and want to be doing something different everyday. Yes, having to learn all new teams and all new faces will be tough, and sometimes you may have to stay awake into the early morning studying up on what the Beanpot is, but it’s more of an exciting challenge! Each new place you go, you are broadening your knowledge and increasing your value as a sports journalist. The more experiences you can gather, the better! Emily made a great point that wherever you go there will be sports, people who are passionate about them, and want to hear the information you have to give. It’s all about the attitude you have going in to the situation. Like Jeff Howe said, “you get out what you put in.”
Going along with the idea that starting smaller is beneficial, is how Jackie mentioned being a “one-(wo)man-band” and doing everything herself in Idaho. Again, she was increasing her skill set by having to work all aspects of television broadcasting. The Variety article reiterated this point saying it produces “better journalist overall because having to take on shooting and editing responsibilities forces reporters to consider all aspects of visual storytelling as they work.” Journalism today is so much more multimedia and multidimensional that the more you know how to do the more productive you can be to a station.
Now is the time in our careers that we need to prove ourselves most. As Jeff mentioned, the more opportunities we reach out to and the more exposure we get, the easier it will be to stand out. Even though Jeff started in a large market, he still started at a small paper before reaching the ranks of NESN.com. Our classmate Lia pointed out to remember that no job is beneath us when we’re first starting out. If we pay our dues at the beginning, it can only make us better and we will get rewarded in the future. Like Ben said, there is no specific model or no set career path when it comes to sports journalism, it’s up to us to make our own. Personally, I’m looking forward to taking that next step, whatever and wherever it may be.

Angus Dunk posted on September 22, 2010 at 11:00 pm

As a class, I think we took away from this last seminar the unfortunate short term outcome of the journalism industry. One has to start at the bottom before he or she can take the next step forward. It’s going to be very hard for a large number of us, upon graduation, to get a job in the city, especially if it involves broadcasting or even just reporting in the field. The small towns are simply not as desirable as the big city markets and therefore are a surplus of openings for eager, young kids like ourselves. I think Joe Haggerty made a good point about how to approach the journalist lifestyle in the class before this one though, “Do this stuff when you’re young and single and you can afford to burn out a little.”

The job and location we end up settling on when we graduate from Boston University will be the stepping stone and foundation in starting our lives. As Jackie Pepper said, we may discover that we don’t actually want to be journalists or sports journalists based on our experiences with our first jobs.

I think there certain benefits to starting one’s career in a small town setting. First, I think one learns to establish closer connections and ties with their community, simply because there are less people in a lot of these rural southeastern and mid-western towns than the major cities. For example, the local high school baseball team may not be the most interesting thing to cover in “No-where-ville, Iowa,” but it may be the only sports news one has to work with and consequently one just has to learn to accept and adapt to this. So, as a sports journalist in that town, one is going to know everyone on the team and sports information department because he or she has to in order to do their stories. On the flip side, you could start out in Boston (probably the best sports media scene) and have a number of options on what sports and teams you cover. As Fran pointed out, in cities such as Boston you have a tremendous number of resources available to you.

However, I don’t believe if one starts out in a city, he or she will become a better journalist necessarily. In a small town setting, such as Idaho Falls in Jackie’s case, one learns to go out of their comfort zone and conduct interviews with the locals on a more personal and conversational level. You can still do this in the city, but at the same time have more people to work with for interviews and it won’t kill your career if you don’t know the whole team. Essentially, I think one learns their most vital “people skills” in a small town setting.

Secondly, I think exposure to a small town media setting is good because it may end up being the profession one desires. Covering sports stories for only a certain number of hours per day may be enough pressure and stress for some broadcasters and journalists to handle. Each one of us has learned that it doesn’t get any easier once you get to the city, and free time becomes less and less in densely populated areas and large media markets. For a sports journalist hoping to raise a family some day, having a more low key life may be the right answer.

To return to the central issue, I don’t think one has to have a background or connection to a particular setting in order to work as a sports journalist in it. In this regard, I remember my transition to Boston University when I transferred here last year. I was going from the college town of Elon, NC (about 7,000 people) to the big city of Boston (about 650,000 people) and being slightly intimidated, but mainly excited to get to my new setting. Sure, I had a whole new school to learn about and more responsibilities to carry out, being farther away from home, but I learned to adapt. I was amazed how simple some things were to understand such as the subway system (nothing like New York City). Wanting to continue to do sports broadcasting at the student level, I decided to join WTBU sports with no prior experience in the station and without knowing any of the people. However, I talked and emailed back and forth with the sports director a little bit, mainly discussing my prior experience at the Elon student radio station, and was offered the position of men’s basketball beat reporter, the 2nd most prestigious beat to work on behind men’s ice hockey. In addition to this, I also had the privilege of being able to cover one of the women’s ice hockey games at the 2010 Beanpot.

Jackie Pepper’s situation sounded similar to mine. A California native, who had covered news in small town Idaho Falls, she still managed to make it to Boston, one of the more sports news inclined places in the country, if not the most. I think I learned from Jackie that your background and connections in a city aren’t always the deciding factor in the career world. With sports journalism, it depends on one’s versatility, drive, and experience as opposed to just one’s knowledge of a game or team, which can be learned, to make it.

Moreover, Emily’s point on “The Cluetrain Mainfesto” discusses this issue well. The people on the bottom layers of a company doing the “grunt” or “busy” work can be a lot more capable than the “top dogs” or CEO’s of a company or organization. I think this analogy compares well with the idea that a person, who doesn’t live or grow up in a particular area, may have more knowledge about certain aspects of it than a local who is there on a day-to-day basis. For instance, even though I live in North Carolina, I would say I have a much more extensive knowledge of my favorite hockey club, the New York Rangers, than many native fans. The reason for this is my drive and love for the New York Rangers, not because I live in New York City, or have the most extensive knowledge of it.

Overall, I’m mixed about entering the world of sports broadcast journalism and ending up in a small town setting. It was bright of Matt to quote Joe Haggerty on his point about the possibility of one being trapped in a small town media outlet. The competition for the big league jobs only continues to grow and sports broadcasting positions in major cities can be hard to come by. I can also say from growing up, living, and going to college in small town parts of North Carolina, a rural lifestyle isn’t the most interesting setting to be a sports broadcaster in. My hometown of Chapel Hill has about 50,000 people in it and I get bored there, which made it ironic that I ended up going to college for two years in an even smaller town. My goal is to broadcast hockey games for the New York Rangers, mainly because of the club, but because I love the immensity that is New York City too and know it would be a great place to be a journalist.

On the other hand, I would be willing to take a position in a small town if it meant I was covering the sport I love, hockey. If that involved starting out in some small town in Canada, I would be willing to do this if meant opportunities to work for one of the leagues (OHL, WHL, and QMJHL) that comprises the CHL or Canadian Major Junior Ice Hockey. The excitement of being able to cover the sport at this level might be enough for me to overcome the disadvantages of small town reporting.

Seth posted on September 23, 2010 at 1:49 pm

I grew up just outside Philadelphia. I moved to Columbia, Maryland the midpoint between D.C. and Baltimore when I was 10 and then came to school in Boston. I’ve always lived in great sports markets with some of the best journalists in the business and taken it for granted. So it seemed inevitable would just stay in Boston or maybe move back to Philly or even another big city after school and latch on somewhere after college. The idea of moving to any small town for work much less Walla Walla, Washington or Idaho Falls, Idaho seemed absurd to me. But after hearing Professor Shorr pound it into my head for the past year and listening to Jackie and Jeff, I can now see the benefits and actually see that as a viable first step.

Life as a sports journalist is obviously extremely difficult: you work long hours, have to constantly be researching and you never know your schedule, but we have to remember that most sports fans would kill for the jobs we all will hopefully fill. That’s why that first job in the middle of nowhere is so important. Matt and Joel talked about the benefits of working in that small market to start and I just want to add on to that. None of us are ready to go out and take a full-time anchor position with NESN or work as a reporter for ESPN or a columnist at the Boston Globe but all of those jobs could be landing spots down the line. Working in a small market is so beneficial because you can make mistakes and not be fired right away. That flexibility is how we will learn to write for deadline, edit our packages flawlessly and become better writers. If you wrote a script for a voiceover on NESN that was too long and the show went to black it would be your neck, in Bangor, Maine you’ll get a harsh scolding and a second chance. Prescott Rossi, is one of our own, a COM graduate two years ago he’s an anchor in Bangor, Maine. While Prescott is a local and would have rather stayed in Massachusetts rather than going to Maine and a place he knew nothing about, he’s doing what he loves and appreciates the flexibility of a small town. While it may be disappointing to watch most of our fellow graduates stay in Boston or move to New York or even go abroad after graduation while we move to the middle-of-nowhere we have to remember that that’s not the final destination.

Matt brought up Joe Haggerty’s quote that “you may never leave” if you go to a small market but that’s a personal decision in most cases, at least in my opinion. Jackie Pepper and other professors and people in the field have consistently stressed two things to me about that statement. First, you have to be humble. Taking a job in Idaho or working as a PA’s assistant and scrubbing floors may not be your dream job but if you do a good enough job at it you will have the chance to move up to better things. Most of us came into Boston University four years ago as 1 face among 4,000 and many of us have made names for ourselves at BU. The biggest thing to remember is as soon as we leave the halls of COM we’re going to become 1 aspiring journalist among many, many, more than 4,000 and your attitude is almost as important if not more important than your skills. Going to that smaller market gives you the chance to hone and prove your skills in a way that you’ll rarely if ever get in a big city like Boston.

The second big thing is you have to work and be aggressive in putting yourself out there if you’re going to catch a break. The only reason Jackie is in Boston right now is because she wouldn’t give up and continued to contact Comcast after many people would have given up. Many of us have taken Paul Flannery’s Sports Journalism class and he has a similar if not more drawn out story. Professor Flannery took small jobs in Washington, Virginia and Idaho (I believe?) before getting his big breaks in Philadelphia and now at WEEI in Boston. Like Jackie he only got his breaks because he kept putting his name and resume out there and refused to accept that any one of his stops was going to be his final destination. The next five years will be tough. Some of us will have harder times than others and some may even want to quit. We have to remember that its not going easy and that its not going to happen in one day. Tristan hopefully we won’t be seeing each other in Elmira, New York but at a major league baseball park, even if it takes a decade or two.

Laura posted on September 23, 2010 at 3:00 pm

For me the beauty of being in the sports business is to have the opportunity to travel to new places, and not be sitting at a desk in a stuffy office near the town you grew up in, working a 9 -to-5 job. LIke Tristan, I knew from high school that this is what I wanted to do, but also understood the sacrifices that came with it. I actually came to Boston for that very reason: a challenge in a new and unknown place. If anyone knows about learning to adapt, it’s a New York Yankees fan living in the heart of Red Sox Nation.

Although Jeff Howe might be able to finally write about his hometown heroes, I don’t necessarily see that as the greatest advantage. As aspiring sports journalists (or even working ones), it’s clear that we were fans first. With that being said, no matter how impartial we may attempt to be, there will always be some emotion attached with covering a hometown team. To me that is more difficult to assimilate to than learning the ins and outs of a new place. Jeff has to deal with a life-long relationship and history with a team that he loves, and do his job without getting emotions or personal opinions involved.

At the same time, building relationships and the trust of all those sources we are supposed to be able to call on at any given moment, seem impossible to come by in a place where you have no former connections.

I learned that first hand this summer with my internship with the Brockton Rox. I was the only non-Massachusetts native working on a staff of nearly thirty interns and front office staff. My accent (or lack thereof) was a dead give away and I quickly learned to brush up on my Boston sports. But after two weeks on the job, the level of my work outweighed the fact that I was from “the armpit of America.” I learned, just as Jackie explained, it’s the work, effort, and TONS of research that you put into the job that makes you stand out, not where you are from.

Although the task may have seemed daunting at first, Jackie Pepper managed to gain contacts and relationships, as well as a vast knowledge of the sports in Idaho after just one year. She showed that you can overcome the fear associated with working and living in a strange and unfamiliar new place.

The manner in which she attained her current job is even more telling though. Persistence is key. Maybe she was turned down three times, and maybe she had “no ties” to Boston sports, but it was her attitude and work ethic that got her that job.

Luckily for us, I do think the dot.com platform and the new 24-hour news cycle, as hectic and unnecessary as it may seem at times, will give us the opportunity to get jobs (in time) where we want to end up. In the long run, whether it is an opportunity with ABC’s new on-campus department or writing for an online blog, today’s technology and the knowledge we’ve taken from COM makes graduating seem a bit less overwhelming.