Step Up to Local Sports

Maybe some viewers have given up on local sportscasts but the people who are anchoring certainly haven’t and if you ask them, the naysayers are missing the boat….Depending on your market size, local sports can be the most important game in town or perhaps the story you won’t see anywhere else…But be clear, it’s not going away any time soon…

The traditional path for on air sportscasters starts in Midland, Texas, Minot, North Dakota or Sioux City, Iowa..TVJobs.com….Stay a year or two and move on…Management knows it, the viewers know it, YOU know it…But what you do with it can all too easily determine how long you stay…and what kind of stories you’re doing…”It depends where you’re at(market)”, said Larry Ridley of WHDH-TV at a recent Boston University sports journalism seminar…”The bigger market you get into, the more the sports is considered newsworthy and part of the community…Sometimes they(management) don”t care about the highlights so you have to be able to tell a stories(features).”

In the larger markets too many anchors spend too much time on the Pros…Highlights viewers have already seen, soundbites they’ve already heard….They break at least two of the cardinal rules of journalism before even hitting the air….If your show is from yesterday, your viewers will be history…Repeat after me, “advance the story” and say it with me now,  ‘tell em something they don’t already know”….

Mike Lynch of WCVB-TV never had to do the small market route, making the leap from Boston radio to part time at CH5 and learned from the sports team that different was good….Features like Outdoors with Bill O’Connell and Five on Sports with Don Gillis were staples at WCVB when Lynch started…in 1985 Lynch began fronting High Five and it’s still going strong, so strong, in fact, that Ridley stated “it’s the reason we don’t do high school sports on CH7″…The lesson is simple: it’s easy to advance a story no one has seen before…

But more than stacking a show, more than plays of the week, viewers will take to the enthusiasm and the passion  of the anchor…Lynch has been doing this for close to three decades now but you’d never know it from his presentation…”It’s fun, I wouldn’t change a thing, stated Lynch, what else would I rather be doing?…Not once have I pulled into the parking lot at CH5 and gone ‘I’m going to work, I can’t believe I have to do this today.’…I go with as much energy as I did for day number one…I couldn’t wait to get to work today”

So, no matter what market you are serving, do it with a spirit, do it with a flair…they’re out there watching…give em reason to say, “Hey, did you see that new sports guy/gal in town?…That next step up the ladder will come faster than you think…

Next week, Athletes as Journalists with Jermaine Wiggins and Dana Barros….

Margot posted on November 7, 2011 at 1:10 pm

I really enjoyed last week’s guests. Both men do the same job, but the way each one got there was quite different. Even though it can be frustrating, I kind of like the fact that there really isn’t a blueprint for success in this industry. Everyone seems to have a different story of how they got to where they are, and once again being in the right place at the right time seems to be a common thread.

With the increase of media outlets, it’s definitely true that less people turn to local news for sports coverage, especially in major markets like Boston where there is already a degree of oversaturation with sports news. Mike Lynch discussing the niche he has carved out finding high school stories and local human interest pieces like the one he mentioned just really reinforced cardinal rule of how important it is to somehow be able to tell them something they don’t already know. Maybe viewers aren’t tuning into channel 5 for Bruins coverage, but instead to hear about the 15-year old soccer phenom out of Beverly. Either way, they are tuning in.

One thing that Larry mentioned was how important being versatile is. We learn from taking 524 just how important and necessary versatility is. One week we are sitting behind the anchor desk, the next week we are responsible for the audio. I also learned how important versatility is this summer at my internship. Even though I am getting my degree in print, I wanted to do a television internship so I would have a hand in both.

As much as I enjoy these seminars, sometimes they depress the hell out of me. After listening to Mike and Larry, I feel like I should break up with my boyfriend and buy the first ticket out to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, because apparently I’m going to have to live in the middle of nowhere and have no social life. However, Mike’s story does reaffirm the notion that there is no formulaic approach to success in this industry, but both men spoke of a lot of personal sacrifices in terms of family life. I think it’s harder as a female because at least in the beginning, women can’t just run back to work after having children. Even though missing family time is difficult, both Mike and Larry are so adamant that their jobs are the best in the world, so at the end of the day, it must be worth it.

Rick Sobey posted on November 7, 2011 at 2:17 pm

This was the second straight seminar that had to do with on-air broadcasting, and even though I don’t see myself on television in the future, I was still able to take away some great advice from the local TV sportscasters. I thought there were plenty of similarities with print journalism throughout the seminar. First of all, Larry Ridley was saying how the audience will already know the top story of the day by the network’s broadcast at 6 p.m., so he needs to bring something different and unique to the broadcast. This goes the same for print journalists, as they write about something in the distant past (in 21st century journalism time). I need to learn how to take yesterday’s top story and make it so the reader will learn something new. I need the audience to read a quote for the first time, or I need to provide some revealing statistic that contributed to the team’s loss. It is imperative to be creative and original in order to separate myself from the pack and gain a loyal following.

One reason why I don’t watch the local sports broadcasts at 6 p.m. is because they are usually too repetitive of what ESPN has been airing all day. Professor Shorr talked about how some anchors spend too much time on professional sports; it is a huge turn off. These local broadcasts need to get away from that tendency or viewers will continue to change the channel. The broadcasts need more stories in the community, such as reactions from fans or features of youth athletes and also older athletes who might have an inspirational story to tell.

Last summer, I wrote about local sports for a newspaper, and it could not have been a more beneficial experience. Getting to know the athletes from all the different sports and telling local athletes’ stories showed me how important local news can be for an area. They are the true athletes, who aren’t getting paid millions of dollars and have a blown-up ego. They are just kids, who are pouring their heart and soul out on the field, and some of their stories can be quite inspirational. Most of these athletes are also willing to tell you everything; they aren’t interviewed at the postgame press conference everyday. Only these local newspapers and TV stations can give the audience such unique stories from the neighborhood.

There are so many gems that a journalist can find in any town, and it is critical to put these features on the 6 p.m. broadcast or into the newspaper. Back at home, I used to gear up every Tuesday for the high school “Athlete of the Week” segment or the high school top plays, but those segments have been taken out. It is so important to get these pieces back into the local sports broadcasts because that is something the viewer hasn’t seen yet. I know that I would stick around for those segments and human interest stories.

Tyler posted on November 7, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Local sports coverage? I don’t watch it; everything I need to know about college or professional sports can be found online in an instant, and game highlights are usually produced with better quality (and given more airtime) on ESPN or NFL Network. Larry said it himself, “Nobody’s going to wait until 6:20 to hear from me and Joe.” But what really concerned me was his station’s use of the mantra, “turn and burn.” That made channel 7 sound like they were going through the motions, block after block, day after day, without too much emphasis on trying new approaches or mixing things up. Larry said he wasn’t even sure why the system was successful, and at times he sounded frustrated with the amount of air time dedicated to sports. He isn’t the only one…

I took a relatively useless internship in the sports department at a local TV station last year (my bosses all knew professor Shorr so naturally I was the subject of much abuse), and the one thing that stuck with me was how frustrated the producers were. “They don’t care about us, nobody cares about sports at this station,” is something I heard more than once. Or, “Three minutes?! How are we going to get this down to three minutes?!”

Don’t get me wrong, Larry and Mike seemed to love their jobs (although I thought they rubbed that fact in our faces a bit, to be honest), but I’ve never found a reason to tune in to local sports coverage. Maybe I’d watch if I was a Boston sports fan, instead of a displaced Yankee. But I know Ricky is a Boston guy, and it doesn’t seem like he watches too much either.

It sounded like channel 5 had been making an effort to set themselves apart with “high five” or “fast five” or whatever it’s called, but I hadn’t heard of that feature until the seminar, and I’ve been living in this market since I was seven. But again, it sounded like Mike and Larry were enjoying their careers and earning a decent salary, so who cares if I’m not watching?

Margot — I’ve also noticed the theme of the juggling act between career and relationships, and I absolutely agree that it’s probably harder for women. It sounded like Larry and Mike got off easy because they have “understanding spouses.” But I’d like to think it can go both ways — maybe you’ll make it big and you boyfriend will become a house husband!

Joe Parello posted on November 8, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Like Margot I found the fact that both men reached similar positions in completely different fashions to be very interesting. I thought the real point of this seminar was to give us an insight into where local sports now fits in with the average fan. It is no longer the main source of information and highlights, the internet and ESPN have seized that role, but it does have its place, especially in a place like Boston.
What I thought was great is that both men realized this and did not try to hide it. But, they instead focused on what they could bring Boston fans that sources like ESPN could not. They could do more local features, different interviews that would be of interest to Boston fans, and add details or local spins to stories that were being used on national outlets.
I think that is the next logical progression for local sports to stay alive. Rather than being a source for highlights, it will have to give local, die hard, fans things they can’t get on ESPN. Whether that is channel 4 having Belichick dissect plays from last week’s game on their monitor, or channel 7 scoring an interview with Nathan Horton, that is something you will not see on a national outlet that separates the individual station.
I think both our guests got that local sports are shrinking with the specialization of cable channels, but I think they were both also optimistic that there will always be a place for a sports segment that can deliver coverage tailor-made for your specific market. And, to be honest, I think that is a pretty cool role to fill, and I hope to be a part of it someday.

josh posted on November 9, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Joe briefly touched on what I think was the most important part of the seminar, when Mike said that there will always be a place for local sports even in a market like Boston. Obviously finding a niche like Mike and high school doesn’t hurt, but as Joe pointed out, there will always be a need for simple things like an interview with an athlete that would most likely get cut from an ESPN highlight.

At this point I just find it amusing to talk about relationships, but here’s my quick take from this week. The relationships in local sports are a lot more interesting. As both presenters pointed out, going to barbershops, coffee shops and other places of local congregation are extremely important. You have to find out what the locals want to hear about, so your relationship in a sense is with the community more so than athletes. In local sports, as Rick points out, your relationships are with kids and probably their parents who are just excited to be interviewed and possibly be on T.V.

Another thing that caught my eye is that being a local guy appeared to make both guests more humble and/or down to earth. During the go meet the guest time, Mike actually wandered into the student section and began engaging us. He reached a connection with everyone, whether it was naming your high school mascot or talking with Dave Lombardi about broadcasters they both know. I don’t think poorly of any of our other guests, but this really caught me off guard and made me really respect Mike Lynch that much more. He even went out of his way to say goodbye to everyone, even if they weren’t paying attention to the conversation.

Final point, Margot is right, these things can be terrifying. I’m probably the oldest one in the room minus our guests and Professor Shorr and for the most part you all are graduating. I’m that much behind the power curve. But like she said, it must be worth it based off the enthusiasm our guests showed.

Craig Meyer posted on November 9, 2011 at 3:22 pm

The discussion of local television sports is more important than ever now, largely because of what Prof. Shorr and others like Margot have mentioned — with a 24-hour sports news cycle, why do people now have to wait until 6 p.m. to find out what happened that day? The solution to this problem sounds simple, and it presents us all with an ideal, oft-repeated as it has been this semester, that we as aspiring sports journalists should take with us — you have to tell people about a story in a way that makes it unique, by telling them something they didn’t already know. Local sports media outlets have to use this strategy extremely effectively or else they are no different than the more popular national networks like ESPN that exist and do the same kind of stories. That reality of local news is something that all journalists, no matter where or in what medium they’re working in, should always keep in mind in order to do the best job possible.

One advantage that local television news does have over other larger outlets, however, is that it is catered for its local audience. It provides coverage and segments on the teams that people in a given area care about, as opposed to something like ESPN or Sports Illustrated that has to cover the national (and in some cases international) sporting landscape. Again this brings us to a central tenant of this course and sports journalism as a whole — always be around, show your face and be consistent. Because of this, local sportscasters know these teams and players better than anyone else who comes in, a.k.a the “Johnny Come Latelys” that Ridley and Lynch both mentioned, the types that only come in to cover big stories, games or events. When you are around a team on a daily basis, not only do you produce your best work, but you develop a level of professionalism and respect with the players and coaches, something which is a tremendous aid on the job.

Building on this, local sports broadcasts remain a critical component of sports journalism because these journalists working for these stations live in these cities for an extended period of time (or, in the case of Lynch, their entire lives) and they develop a sense of what is important to viewers and fans in these given communities. Ridley mentioned going to coffee shops, barber shops and restaurants to see what people would talk about in sports. Again, this is where local news outlets can provide something national ones cannot, for they understand what resonates with an audience and they can help tailor coverage and broadcasts around that.

Finally, for much of this semester, we have discussed the importance of relationships in sports journalism, largely journalist-player and journalist-coach relationships that are forged over time. But local sports television provides another relationship entirely, one that is central to the success of a show or broadcast — the broadcaster-viewer relationship. Especially in smaller markets, viewers see watching the local sportscaster speak about the news of the day as a personal relationship. The broadcaster helps them out and provides them with the news that they want. If a broadcaster is fair, accurate and provides good coverage overall, a positive, trusting relationship is formed, one that can go on for years. People don’t necessarily have to turn to Stuart Scott and Sportscenter to get their news when they are a New Englander looking for coverage of what happened at Doc Rivers’ press conference because for that, they can turn to Mike Lynch, a local guy who is always around the team and has been there for coverage for the last several decades.

As long as that relationship is present and local television news can continue to make those impacting, lasting relationships with viewers, then there will always be a critical place for it in the sports journalism landscape.

David posted on November 9, 2011 at 4:24 pm

A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of serving an 80+ year-old woman named Natalie Alickman at Legal Sea Foods. It was around 4:45pm, a time when the restaurant is slow and the staff is transitioning. Alickman was visiting Boston from her home in Boca Raton. It was around the time when the fried chicken and beer controversy within the Red Sox organization was at its height.

Because the restaurant was so slow, it gave me a chance to speak with her. She asked me what I was doing and I told her that I was a Sports Journalism student at Boston University. My answer sparked an hour-long conversation about the Red Sox and sports in general. At the end of our conversation she told me that she could hear the passion that I had for sports in the way I talked about it and I could hear the passion that she had for Boston sports at 80 years-old even while living in Florida.

I bring up this small anecdote because I could hear the same passion from Mike lynch and Larry Ridley as they spoke last week during our seminar. I especially identified with Lynch who spoke about his experience at a young age, reading the sports page, just as I had before I went to my elementary school classes. Ridley didn’t grow up in Boston but he still had the same passion for sports having grown up in the south.

The most telling comment he made was regarding his early career when he would use free burger coupons to feed himself while making $15,000 a year. Now having worked at Channel 7 he, “is buying burgers out of his own pocket.”

After her meal was over, Natalie asked me to sign her sheet of paper saying that she wants to have it when I make it big in the sports industry. It is local sports, those stories that go beyond the highlights, as Joe mentioned in his response, that instill the passion that lasts a person’s lifetime.

Side Notes:
I noticed that this was the first time one of the guests made their way past the first row of seats and made it a point to come talk to us. The most enlightening part of the seminar was when Lynch came into one of our circles of conversation and got in on the discussion.

Catie Tilton posted on November 9, 2011 at 7:39 pm

I agree with everyone who has written so far, Mike Lynch was by far the most enthusiastic and engaging visitor we have had.

This summer I experienced first-hand how grueling the hours in a sports communication job can be. I interned for the Denver Broncos during training camp, worked 6 days a week from 5 am to 9 pm, and literally had no social life during that time. My friends and family complained they never saw me and it become impossible to even find time to work out during the day. Normally, a job with these hours wouldn’t seem worth it, but I looked forward to each day I worked there. I loved the job and the hours were not an issue, ever.

Even though I didn’t mind the hours this past summer, I am only 22 years old and the most I missed out on while working was a handful of parties with friends and some family dinners here and there, so it was much harder to become upset for working so much. I often think about whether I will still be able to handle it when I have a family of my own because missing out on raising your children is much larger than some party.

I bring all of this up because Mike Lynch really put it into perspective for me. Lynch has had to sacrifice time watching his children grow up, Thanksgiving dinners, and plenty more, for his job, and he hasn’t complained once. In fact, he brags about it because he is so in love with what he does that he doesn’t even call it work. It was inspiring to hear Mike Lynch talk about how much he enjoys his job.

It’s people like Mike Lynch that keep sports journalism alive. The people who read and listen to sports journalism are passionate about sports themselves, so when they see someone as enthusiastic as Mike is on television, they become hooked. Whether it’s local high school sports, college level, or professional, there are fans everywhere looking for information. Each Listener and reader wants sports journalism that will satisfy their craving, and people like Mike Lynch succeed at that.

Mike Lynch was a joy to listen to. It was refreshing to hear his positive feedback; it’s people like him that make me want to work in the sports communication field.

Lacey posted on November 9, 2011 at 10:35 pm

I suppose the reputation of most local anchors and or reporters is one of the stereotypical boisterous, obnoxious and overtly dramatic one. They seem to take on the role of doom bringer and make the viewer feel as if the world is falling apart right around them when talking about school board elections; like I said, extremely sensational and too much so at times.

When these two men, both veterans in their respective on-air fields, they were engaging and inviting. They spoke to the class and did not speak at them; something that I felt had been missing from making these seminars truly enjoyable. And when they did speak, their statements had substance and not just fluffy filler that so often times gets associated with local broadcasters. Perhaps I am placing too much merit on the movie, “Broadcast News,” where the production was more important than the substance to the point that nothing ever gets completed.

Getting back to the seminar with Larry and Mike, both men presented themselves in a confident manner, letting themselves reveal the ins and outs of this business, all while opening conversation up to the audience (our small class). You could instantly see why these men were successful in their fields, they were welcoming and their personalities were relatable to that of a good friend. They did not seem distant or withdrawn, but receptive and understanding.

Listening to these men talk during the seminar provided me a sense of what a really skilled reporter/anchor can do when trying to captivate and gain the appreciation of viewers: be yourself. Do not act like someone that you think might be perceived well by an audience, but really strive to find out who you are as a broadcaster. That way, when you do discover who you are as an individual in this profession, there is no acting and the job doesn’t stay a job, but an extracurricular livelihood.

I think that their honesty was another key part to this seminar’s success. Both men stated that getting into the market is possible through dedication and persistence, your time will come if you are willing to make the necessary sacrifices. With that said, people have often told me and I’m certain others breaking into this industry, that having a family is nearly impossible during the beginning stages of ones career. Thankfully, Mike and Larry both dismissed that notion saying that it can be done and they are both examples of it happening.

I appreciated the truth behind what they were saying. I never felt like I was being cheated out of what they really wanted to say, and, firmly believe that they did not hold back. Why should they? If we all continue on pursuing our goals and aspirations, some day in the future we might be asked to come in and speak to a group of students eager to learn and what in the world would we gain if not honest and forthright? Absolutely nothing…and I am extremely grateful that both Mike and Larry felt comfortable enough to talk to the class as adults and did not patronize us like little school children that could not cope with the dirty details of this business.

If anything should be taken away from this seminar is that this is fun, plain and simple. This is something that we are going to make the most of should we choose to continue on down the sports journalism path…what needs to be understood and often times I feel is not, is that we are enthusiastic young reporters covering what we love most…how hard can that be at the end of the day?

Lee posted on November 10, 2011 at 1:30 am

his was just refreshing. These were two guys who are well into their careers, and still feel like they’re living the dream. In fact, these guys were far more in line with what I have encountered in my limited work experience. Everywhere I’ve worked and visited I have encountered people with the passion of Mike Lynch. For some reason a number of the people who have come through our seminar, for what its worth, many of them print journalists, have seemed disillusioned with their jobs. I was so thrilled that when I asked Mike what got him riled up, he got riled up! He wasn’t faking it either.

I also realized the effect that New York has had on my perception of local sports. The local news is national news where I’m from, and the New York teams have national pull. So there really is never anything new I can get from a local sports broadcast. If I want high school sports stories there is a channel that dedicates almost all of its programming to high school sports.

But not every market has that. The local guys in Boston still have cache and still have something new to add to the conversation. So when I see a person like Mike show such genuine love for his job, and such real affection for Boston, I can see myself getting something out of his TV segment.

Larry wasn’t quite as over the top with emotion, but I got the exact same feeling from him. It might not be Boston he was in love with, but he was feeding his family doing sports television, and clearly derived immense satisfaction from that.

That is exactly why I am chasing the dream, and it was nice to hear from two seasoned veterans that the chase is worth it.

Nick posted on November 10, 2011 at 2:42 am

I’d like to expand on a point made in the first paragraph of the blog post. I’ve experienced both ends of the spectrum when it comes to local news. Growing up in Schenectady, NY (home of Pat Riley and Mike Tyson), my nearest local TV stations were in Albany, the state capital.

Albany is your typical middle class city that happens to be in the middle of the major Northeast cities. Boston is three hours to the East, New York City is three hours to the South, Buffalo is four hours to the West, and Montreal is four hours to the North. Being in the center means that our local sports do involve some New York and Boston major sports, but realistically the biggest teams that Albany’s seen have been the Firebirds (Arena Football), the River Rats (AHL), and the Patroons (CBA).

With that lack of professional sports, our mid-size local TV stations depend on high school and college sports. Going hand in hand with that, the parents and relatives who have students playing for those teams depend on the local coverage to find out how everything went that night. In that sense, local TV sports is very important. Our sports segments always last at least four minutes and are in every news broadcast.

On the other end, in Boston, the local TV stations’ coverage is an afterthought. The city has two major TV networks solely dedicated to Boston sports, several newspapers and blogs, and even an ESPN Boston department. Yes, the stations do have some importance to the outer lying cities, but when it isn’t Friday night, where can we see highlights from the local schools?

I can see the importance of local sports news, but I think the importance changes based on the size of the market. In the smaller markets, local sports is important to the families who have personal interests in the teams. In the big markets, it’s more important for the talent themselves who can use the position as a stepping stone to bigger and better things on the national stage.

That helps explain why the local stations (at least in Albany) have at least three sports anchors, led by one stalwart who’s been with the station for decades. The big city stations have fewer sports anchors, but they’re younger and more promising.

In my plans to become a play-by-play broadcaster, I’ve always considered being an anchor for a local station as a way to get in the door. I still consider it a viable option because I don’t see local sports going away any time soon. In the big cities, the pickings may be slim, but the mid-size cities will always need the coverage and can lead to the next big thing.

David Lombardi posted on November 10, 2011 at 9:58 am

It’s interesting how the stuff that we cover in these seminars often immediately shows up in the real world. I’m busy applying to jobs all around the country now, and the most recent application I sent in was to a TV station in Orlando. The job description specifically asked for a reporter who “could do more than recite highlights; someone who could find NEW stories within the coverage scope of the station.” The job description even mentioned that the person they were looking for would be “much more than a sports anchor. We want someone who is as in depth with their coverage of the teams in this city as a beat reporter.”

Of course, all these requirements go hand-in-hand with the nature of the beast these days. ESPN, Fox Sports Net, CSN, the Internet… these are all places that viewers can go to see highlights, and they didn’t exist 30 years ago. Local sports cannot succeed, especially in larger markets, if they just recycle the content of thousands of other outlets now.

I loved the seminar because it focused on how local sports guys are overcoming this issue. It’s important to stand out, to be unique, to be creative, to deliver local coverage that only YOU can deliver. COMPEL the local viewers to choose you.

I had a great first-hand look at this mentality this summer. As an intern at KGO in San Francisco, I was encouraged to pitch ideas for feature story packages. If the producer liked the idea, I would be sent into the field to collect the interviews and B-roll with the photographer. An old story wouldn’t be accepted, though. I had to be on the cutting edge with my ideas. And that’s just the way it is these days in the local news business. You have to be a step ahead, because there are just too many other alternatives for viewers if you don’t separate yourself from the pack.

Caroline posted on November 10, 2011 at 11:11 am

I thoroughly enjoyed last week’s seminar with Mike Lynch and Larry Ridley. Both are extremely thankful for their job and both got to where they are now two completely different ways.
Larry’s story to success reminds me of what everyone is telling me I should do once I graduate. So it was nice to see Larry as a product of going from a very small market in the middle of nowhere and making his way to Boston. He should be the poster child for all aspiring college broadcast journalists. He just needed one yes, and he took off from that. I LOVED Mike Lynch’s idea of getting into the on-air business as Boston traffic: no one is going to let you in the first lane off the ramp, but once you get that little space you squeeze your way in and then you can make your way all the way to the right lane little by little. “Be patient, when you see it you’ll know it!”
Learning that it took Larry a good six months to a year, working five days a week for four/five hours a day to feel comfortable and confident to move forward out of small markets was a great bit of information. I think it is great to have a timetable for yourself to keep pushing on and hopefully up.
Listening to the speakers talk about accountability now with twitter and blogs was very interesting. Mike spoke about his source never letting him down when he broke the Terry Francona leaving the Sox story. Both speakers talked about how this business is about having good relationships not only with the players but with the people that surround the players every day because that is all they have now. It’s about their relationships and their presentation because there is no accountability.
When you have a story Mike told us to “Get it first but first get it right” – I think that is great motto to live by especially now in this business. I want to be considered a smart and serious reporter not so much a blogger, critic or tweeter.
I will defiantly take to heart Larry’s advice of always “smile, be nice to everyone because its who you know.” Understanding that just being there and being consistent and always being flexible is extremely important to a career, do whatever it takes. A huge advantage to this business now is being able to be versatile. And I am so thankful I go to BU for that. Because all our classes allow us to understand and operate all that goes into production and on-air broadcast. BU has given me the opportunity to tell employers that I am very versatile in all aspects of broadcast journalism.
It seems to me that working in smaller markets is easier as long as you take an interest in their kids. Larry talked about getting to know the high school coaches and they will feed you stories. Once you take an interest in them and their kids they will give you anything you need. Just going to the local coffee shop, hair salon, barbershop, and booster meetings will allow a reporter to know so much more about culture and what’s in the “now” of the small market you are covering, just listen to what they are talking about and you will get plenty of stories.
Jumping into this business is thrilling but a little bit scary I would agree with Margot when she talked about having to move away from all that she has known or what she is used too. Breaking up, moving on to something so unknown to follow your dreams. But listening to Mike and Larry they do shine a light on it talking about family and sacrifices. I would also agree with Margot when she stated that she thinks “it’s harder as a female because at least in the beginning, women can’t just run back to work after having children.” Even Larry admitted his wife was in the same business and gave her career up for a family. But after listening to both Mike and Larry I am extremely excited to get that one “yes” whether its in Midland, Texas, Minot, North Dakota or Sioux City, Iowa, I will be ready and well prepared.

Heidi posted on November 10, 2011 at 11:56 am

The thing that stuck out most in my mind was that both of them said how much they love their jobs. Mike made a point to say that he is just as excited to go to work now as he was on the very first day. That surprised me a little bit. Local sports coverage has changed so much that I thought maybe the job wouldn’t be as enjoyable. I am happy I was wrong.

TV is not something I want to get into but I got a lot from listening to Larry talk about working in the smaller markets. I really appreciated the insight into that first job. I’ve run into a lot of people who talk about the first job as just a stepping stone; get your feet wet, get that experience and then move on. Yes that is what the small markets are for but Larry talked about getting into the community. Get to know the coaches. Be nice to everyone you meet. Take a real interest in those high school teams. I know Boston and New York are the end all when it comes to sports reporting and small markets are just a means to an end but those tiny, Southern towns are really great too. Larry made them sound more important than we give them credit for sometimes.

I really enjoy hearing the stories of how people got started in the business. Every one is so different. Each week, I find myself a little more excited to get that first chance wherever it may be. Like Caroline said, even if it is Sioux City, Iowa or some other random town, it’s that first step.

Patrick Hazel posted on November 10, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I really appreciated Larry and Mike coming in to speak to us. It was just another story of hardwork and sticking to something that can eventually lead to bigger and better things. Especially Larry’s story, who started out at the bottom reporting for random things in Kentucky. But as he said, he loves his job more than anything, even before his glory days in Boston. It was a treat to hear his story of how he got started and it gives us all hope that if you stick to something, no matter where you are reporting at, that if it is your passion you must have that determination to believe in your dreams and goals.

The business is weird though. The people on staff in small market places know that the place they are at may only be a year or two stop. More than likely, reporting for high school football in Kentucky may not be a destination for a guy like Larry, and his employers are well aware of that too. It is important though for a guy like Larry to keep his long term goals in mind and be fully into the job that he is doing at the time.

What I learned most from Larry is that he said what he does, he doesnt consider it a job. I know a lot of people say the same thing. That what they want to end up having as a job is something they dont want to necessarily call a “job”. They want to say that it is something they truly love to do, and they have the same passion they had from day 1 when they first got into the business.

I also liked Mike Lynch’s story of how the news broke about Terry Francona. Both Mike and Larry talked about how important it is to keep a good relationship with the people you cover, the people you work for, and the people you work with. This is something that has been repeated over and over by almost all of our speakers this semester. The importance of establishing and maintaining relationships with people is so crucial. You never know when that guy you worked with could have an opportunity open up for you, and it is also important to establish the relationships with the people you interview and report on as well.

I also liked what Larry said about ESPN. They are as much help to ESPN as anyone, as the local guys are a good outlet of news for the big writers and reporters for ESPN. They have a two way relationship, which I never knew was so close, as they both relay messages and information to each other.

This was one of my favorite seminars. As David Lombardi says, we got to see how local guys can report, relate and establish relationships as well as a beat reporter or an ESPN reporter. It was also one of my favorites because of Larry’s story. Of how he came from the bottom and made his way up, a story we can all relate to somehow.

Mallory posted on November 10, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Like Heidi mentioned, I was astonished by how much they loved their jobs. I mean it is a job so I figure there must be some aspects you won’t enjoy, but I didn’t get that from Mike or Larry. I kind of expected to hear something about that from Mike since he’s been with Channel 5 for so long – whether his complaints would be about the routine or not being challenged, Mike’s only complaint was not getting to see his family more. It goes to show you make the best out of any situation, including starting in a small market, and find ways to challenge yourself and most importantly, find ways to make yourself indispensable. Seeing Mike at the same position for so long and hearing Larry talk about how his sports department being so bloated is really promising. At the station I’m at now, it seems like every week I hear about someone else leaving so I wasn’t sure if this was a common trait of other TV stations.

I also really thought it beneficial to talk about the whole home, work, life balance. Working in TV is demanding and it’s not your typical 9-5 schedule. That’s the greatest appeal to me. I want to do something different everyday at any hour of the day but once you have a family or meet someone, finding the right balance can get complicated. What I gathered from both is they make do, but not without the understanding of their patient spouses.

Speaking of relationships, Mike and Larry both went into their relationship with the viewer. The viewer trusts that the anchor/reporter will give them accurate information and will give it to them straight without any influence affecting them. Like Mike said, “credibility is number one and they tune in because they believe you.” It’s refreshing and promising to see that after decades of doing the same job, Mike takes his job seriously and stresses the importance the work of a journalist is.