It’s Okay to Be Wrong…

It’s okay to be wrong…

It’s okay t0 post something and correct it later…

You can always take it down (and that way it’s like it never existed)…

Is this really the state of sports journalism in 2016?…It sure seems that way…I thought we had dealt with the issue of being accurate a long time ago but apparently not…And just as apparently we’ve come to accept misinformation as common practice…As long as we get those page views….Well, count me out!…

It’s never going to be okay to be wrong even if the ability to “edit” or “delete” exists…Whether it’s Twitter, thebiglead or even Facebook, get it right!…ESPN senior writer Jerry Crasnick was interviewed in the Setonian just recently and he put it this way, ““I think it’s (Twitter) produced a lot more errors and inaccurate reporting than we used to see,” Crasnick said. “And there are typically no consequences when someone reports something that’s flat-out wrong.  “But I do try to constantly remind myself that there’s a difference between real reporting and noise,” he adds. “I hope that readers can discern the difference, but I’m not sure if that’s the case anymore.‬”

Jen McCaffrey and Jason Mastrodonato visited the Boston University sports journalism seminar series recently and while the discussion was intended to focus on where we stand in the year 2016,  it quickly turned to an analysis of a disturbing trend…”It’s all about web traffic, said McCaffrey,  and what you can do to grow web traffic and everything you do  is based off how well received is this gonna be by your internet audience.  You’re still putting the news out everyday but my editor would very much want you to write that story about (David) Ortiz’s haircut because fans will click on that and say where’s the picture…”

We spent some time talking about a just published piece on thebiglead dealing with layoffs at CBS Sports.com and their movement toward the very same issue…Writes one unnamed source “Years ago we never heard of the word “pageviews”.  Then we started getting monthly reports and your judged on pageviews more than anything else.  It’s more important to be successful on Facebook than it is to break news…”

Is that really the case or cant we just do both?…Writing on tumblr.com, Craig Calcaterra took exception with the article saying,  “They’ve taken the position that, if customers are no longer interested in buying a product, it’s not worth acknowledging their changing tastes and not worth trying to adapt their business approach to provide it. Rather, they seem to think, the solution is to excoriate the competitor who came in and supplied it…” Like it or not, change is inevitable… The reality is some accept it more slowly than others…

Mastrodonato seems to disagree however,  stating, “I tend to think that it’s not as bleak as it looks right now. We haven’t figured it out yet (but we will)”…Covering the Boston Red Sox in his mid-twenties, Mastrodonato is doing something right…He brings a refreshing perspective to the job, one he was willing to share with the class…”Figure out who you are as a person so you can figure out who you are as a journalist.  Ask yourself questions all on the way.  Make sure you’re evolving to figure out who you are so you can figure out who you want to be as a journalist.”

And it says here that is exactly the point…Sports journalism and sports journalists should be doing the very same, asking themselves questions and evolving (to fit their audience)…

But it’s never okay to be wrong and it’s never okay to fall back on “I can always change it later”…

Gabbie Chartier posted on February 8, 2016 at 3:58 pm

This week’s seminar with Jen McCaffrey and Jason Mastrodonato informed me to a side of online journalism that I didn’t really give much thought to in the past. They stressed the importance of page views in their stories and trying to write a story that will generate a large amount of web circulation. Jen said that as a journalist, she wouldn’t classify David Ortiz’s new haircut groundbreaking news, but since it’s what the fans want to see and, most importantly click on, it’s the story she has to cover. Gone are the days where sports journalists are asking players about a new swing or changes in the line up and the effect on the game. People want to see quirky stories and journalists have to appeal to that if they want to keep their job.

I think it’s wrong to judge a journalist strictly on the amount of page views their story gets. It’s extremely possible for a journalist to research and write a story extremely well, but since it’s not necessarily interesting at first glance, it won’t be well received. Maybe part of the new challenge is trying to make your work interesting on first glance, but a low number of page views should not mark the writer as a bad journalist.

However, this is the reality with online journalism now and it’s a reality that just hit me this week. In print, newspapers are judged on their circulation, and as we move into the online realm, page views can be equated to newspaper circulation. This is kind of daunting for a journalist right out of college and I’m not confident that I’ve been well prepared for this reality in my classes at BU. The news is moving to mostly all online or digital, yet BU offers only one course to journalism majors that even remotely tap into this. The journalism program here has been very print focused and as a society we are moving away from that, if we haven’t completely already. I wish the journalism department had better prepared me for the online journalism realm. (Not to bash the BU journalism department, but I do feel after this seminar I wish I had more experience with online journalism)

The obsession of page views has real life impacts. In an attempt to get more of those needed page clicks, CBSSports.com laid off a bunch of reporters and announced that they’re moving in the direction of a aggregation sports website. Now they will pay bloggers to get information from other news outlets and write stories for CBSSports.com. This is a huge slap in the face to journalists, who have been trained and paid a lot of money to go to school for journalism. Yet it further demonstrates companies’ devotion to getting page clicks. Luis Torres wrote on his blog, takingbackbaseball.com, “Sadly the best way to get clicks is writing crap… As the demise of Grantland demonstrated, it’s difficult to succeed on the back of quality.” Many journalists don’t feel it’s ethical to write crap or write things that are not quality, so it leaves them with his ethical dilemma. Get clicks and write crap, or lose your job. It’s a sad reality that Mastrodonato thinks we will eventually make right, but it’s going to take someone really spectacular to figure out how to succeed in this world of online journalism while remaining ethical.

Going off that, I think digital reporting is flawed in that so many reporters these days (or anyone with a smart phone who thinks they heard something) can tweet or put out a Facebook post without verifying. The focus becomes getting the story out first so the website will generate more page views, not accuracy. Jason and Jen seemed to agree that this new trend in straying from accuracy in order to get a story is unethical and not what journalism should be about. I completely agree. It’s much harder to take back something you said once you’ve said it than it is to spend the extra time fact checking. It also can tarnish your credibility as a reporter.

Overall, this seminar helped me realize the pressures and demands of online journalism. Jen and Jason seem to have a pretty good handle on it, so I am hopeful my classmates and I will be able to do the same. From here on out, I am definitely going to pay attention to how sports news websites frame their stories to make them interesting and click-worthy.

Vanessa de Beaumont posted on February 8, 2016 at 9:58 pm

Oh, the irony.

As I delved into Jason McIntyre’s piece, “Low Morale at CBS Sports.com as it Eschews Reporting in Favor of Aggregation,” published on USA Today’s web sports platform thebiglead, I couldn’t help but to be slapped by hypocrisy.

I scan the left-hand bar of suggested stories, posted under the same banner, the same brand as McIntyre’s, and read:

“Peyton Manning is Lucky Social Media Wasn’t Around in 1996 When He Allegedly Sat on a Female Trainer’s Face”

“Beyoncé Almost Fell, but Rocked It With Bruno Mars During Super Bowl Halftime Show”

“Roundup: Rob Lowe Takes a Shot at Cam Newton; Watch Two Alligators Fighting”

Yes, a story warning all about the apocalyptic demise of sports journalism via the hostile takeover of mindless, fluff material, is flanked by the very content it criticizes.

Rewind the hands of time, and one will also find yet another bit of irony. USA Today, now prominent as it may be, was considered to be the usher of print journalism’s downfall – the “McPaper” of reporting.

But enough conversation about hypocrisy, because I truly believe that the point the article makes, and the one that was discussed in class by Jen McCaffrey and Jason Mastrodonato is one of particular importance, especially for me and my peers.

As was discussed, there seems to be a universal consensus about the importance of accuracy, one that I unwaveringly subscribe to. There simply isn’t room for error. There is, however, a point that I contend with: the growing trend of clickbait/fluff pieces and page views.
In his CBS feature, McIntyre laments the laying off of experienced veterans for “untrained bloggers” who primarily focus on aggregating information from other sources.

While I wholeheartedly agree that “untrained bloggers” should not be taking the jobs of professionals many, many years their senior (and experience), I object to their classification as such because, well, we aren’t “untrained.”

I use the term “we” because I, by these definitions, would be classified as the precisely the kind of person who CBS Sports would be looking for to aggregate or curate material. The only difference is, rather than CBS Sports, I provide those services to Bleacher Report. My colleagues are all upperclassmen or graduate students, studying journalism, grasping at every work opportunity and rigorously held to many guidelines. So many, in fact, that the preparation, the training is nearly four months long.

My objection arises not from personal offense, but because, in my mind, I see these sorts of programs, not as the death of journalism, but simply as a new means to cut one’s teeth – much like covering high school sports. Many, however, do not.

Some may call this practice of pumping out fun, pop-culture/sports hybrid stories selling out, having a lack of integrity or any other combination of those sentiments. The simple fact is that people want to read it. Period. McCaffrey has turned to identifying her page view totals on her resume. I, myself, find, just like all those who voiced their opinion, this practice shocking because it indicates the weight that those numbers have. Obviously, those numbers shouldn’t represent a writer or reporter’s worth, but they do represent lucrative advertising, which, much as my classmate Gabbie Chartier remarked, is not all that different from newspaper circulation. These fluff pieces, the articles about David Ortiz’s haircut, may temporarily be the lifeblood of income that will fund greater, more in-depth journalistic pursuits. B/R’s totals in this area are massive. My own contributions for the month of January alone eclipse three million.

And that clearly means, once again, that the interest exists. So rather than consider these categories of work a necessary evil, I happen to enjoy them. Who decided that a world with fun, light-hearted stories was a bad one? All things, of course, should exist in moderation, but society will not devolve into a mindless void because I occasionally pass on the news that yet another athlete has chipped in to support Flint, Michigan. In fact, I think it only helps an athlete’s brand, making them more three-dimensional (to continue last week’s conversation).

Sports are largely forms of entertainment. It would therefore follow that, occasionally, some of the writing that pertains to them would also be entertaining. As Mastrdonato said during a conversation about Super Bowl media day, “Sports have become everything.”

As frightening as it may be, it’s a trend that websites will be forced to embrace. Just as websites today would call the idea of trying to sway readers back to reading primarily print versions of their work ludicrous, so too will the idea of getting “breaking news” from full-time reporters become. Someone, usually only a select few, will post that kind of information to Twitter (or whatever other service/site will then be prevalent), and it will be passed on. Notifications will continue to be pushed to phones, and within the span of 20 seconds, I’ll know that the New York Knicks fired David Fisher. “Sad” as it may be, there truthfully doesn’t need to be a legion of people fulfilling that role.

To begin my conclusion, I’ll refer to a quote from McIntyre that particularly struck me. He stated, “If you talk to enough people in the industry, you’ll hear sad but true statements like this: It’s more important to be successful on Facebook than it is to break news.”

A comment made by Mastrodonato best leads my discussion of this quote’s importance to me: “These are all things that journalists have been doing for years. They just used to be handled differently.”

Interesting. Could it be that Facebook, Twitter and social media are simply the USA Today’s of, well, today? What was once regarded as a devolution is now regarded with prominence. What is today regarded as shameful could potentially be regarded as an achievement. Is this not an evolution?

The man who was once looked down upon for ushering in an era of sensationalism in journalism is now the namesake of its most prestigious award.

Mastrodonato is correct. The state of journalism is not so “bleak.” For those who embrace it, pioneer its available avenues, seek out ways to convey their messages, carve out a niche, I’m confident it will prove lucrative.

Telling stories is as old as time, from the spoken word tradition and Homer’s epics to 140 character headlines. It will never die. Yesterday’s methods, along with those who steadfastly hold on to them, however, might.

Emily Tillo posted on February 9, 2016 at 9:07 am

Sports journalism is a business. Sports websites and news outlets have to make money. Page views and web traffic matter now. Either you accept this new reality and “feed the beast,” or you get trampled on by the masses and choke on the dust of your competitors. Take your pick.

Tweets, stats, blog posts, and commentaries vomit all over our computer screens and smartphones every day. There are updates about updates about updates. Enter any sports website, walk away for 5 minutes, come back, press refresh, and good luck finding the article you read or the video you just watched. Like my classmate Gabbie alluded to in her blog, the world of online journalism is a scary one to enter. No one’s job is safe.

I know, I know… change is inevitable, regardless of what industry you work in, but I’m honestly worried about the future of sports journalism. It’s never going away, no, but aggregation and speed are outweighing actual reporting, according to Jason McIntrye’s piece in The Big Lead, which has garnered 32,000 shares in the past 5 days (I guess I’m now guilty of falling prey to the “share” factor). I walked out of last week’s seminar overwhelmed.

One question really tug at me: How can I establish my place in this industry as an incoming sports media professional?

Red Sox beat reporters Jason Mastrodonato and Jen McCaffrey, who joined us for the second installment of this semester’s Sports Journalism Seminar Series, both expressed concern about the state of sports journalism. They both have a right to be worried—their livelihoods depend upon it. Jen took a more pessimistic view of the industry, expressing the daily battle she faces to “write things I want to write versus writing things that will please the average fan,” citing a time when her editors were disappointed that she didn’t expand on the story of Red Sox center fielder Mookie Betts playing with a Rubik’s cube. “Feeding the beast,” as Jen puts it, is essentially an unspoken element of her job description. It would also make for a nice touch on her bio on LinkedIn. Anything for the page views, right?

When asked if her articles’ page views for her employer MassLive mattered, Jen responded with a quick ‘yes,’ “It is all about web traffic. Everything you do is based off of how well received this is going to be by your Internet audience.” I like the way ESPN Ombudsman Don Ohlmeyer puts it in his 2009 article, “Serve the audience,” “The consumer always has the final say.” This is a hard pill to swallow, but one that we must take each day, as my classmate Vanessa must do with her job at Bleacher Report. She accepts that writing “pop-culture/sports hybrid stories” is part of the deal. After all, she writes in her post, “Sports are largely forms of entertainment.” I agree. Sports reporting should be fun, too, and as aspiring sports journalists we have to remember this.

Jason, like Professor Shorr mentioned in his blog post, introduced a more optimistic view of the industry. I found this surprising, especially since he works for a news outlet—The Boston Herald—that does things a bit backwards. The Herald, as Jason puts it, “prioritizes the story over everything else,” which, he admits, “is rare…We need to have website traffic.” Even though he knows the industry “hasn’t figured it out yet” when it comes to monetizing the way information is disseminated, he has faith in the “informed” readers who “know where to go to get the news.”

I don’t share Jason’s optimistic attitude—the business major in me is seriously concerned about how sustainable sports media enterprises really are, especially small scale enterprises like the Herald and MassLive—but I sure admire Jason’s and Jen’s enthusiasm and professionalism. It was easy to tell that they love their jobs, despite the fact that it’s a constant balancing act between pleasing their audiences, their editors, and themselves. Jen mentioned how she’s “finding the line every day.”

Ultimately, the beat reporting duo helped me answer the question circling around in my mind. I have to be my own advocate, my own leader in the business world. I have the opportunity to shape my job and challenge myself. But I have to be okay with producing work that “sucks” sometimes, as Jason said.

“You have to be the marketing person, the CFO, the CEO of your own company. Do it yourself, and figure it out,” Jason advised the class. I’m in charge of building my own brand and determining the type of working professional I want to be. It’s going to be a grind at times, but who said the grind couldn’t be fun?

One final thought:
It’s easy to resort to hiding behind your hoodie and sulking about the uncertain future of sports journalism (http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/09/sports/super-bowl-carolina-panthers-cam-newton.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news), but where will that lead you? Certainly not to hoisting the Vince Lombardi Trophy.

I refer back to a saying my golf coach has always told me, “How bad do you want it?”

Rachel Blauner posted on February 9, 2016 at 12:11 pm

In the article “How Social Media Has Forever Changed Sports Journalism” by Brian Clapp for WorkInSports.com, Clapp found an infographic from the University of Florida that shows the changes in sports journalism over the years.

After looking through it, I found it extremely intriguing that 73% of all journalists use social media to track their competition and 54% of all journalists use Twitter regularly. (http://www.workinsports.com/blog/how-social-media-has-forever-changed-sports-journalism/)
Clapp made a great point, asking what it would be like if Dennis Rodman or Lawrence Taylor played in the social media era.

How different would we view them? How would it of changed their pubic perception? Social media and online stories are completely taking over sports journalism, whether we like it or not.

Jen McCaffrey made a point that she has to “keep feeding the beast” and has to “make sure there is a constant flow” of information, like Emily said. McCaffrey stressed that page views are serious and sometimes you have to write what the fans want instead of what you want to write. This idea makes me question the state of sports journalism.

Professor Shorr brought up when Jason Mastrodonato said he thinks we “haven’t figured it out yet”, which I believe is true. Social media and online journalism are always evolving. Imagine the tweets that would have been trending when Larry Bird or Michael Jordan were in their prime.

Soon there will be another platform that sports journalists will have to learn how to use to be successful in the business. I like how Gabby brought up how journalism courses are primarily print oriented. I wish we had one or two more classes that focused on the online side of journalism, but maybe that will happen as the curriculum evolves over time.

The way I look at it, social media and online are a blessing and a curse. The positives stem from getting your name out on a wider scale to being able to get the story out first and fast. McCaffrey is known for her Twitter showing her dry humor and personality, which I’m sure has grown her popularity as a sports writer. The negatives, like Professor Shorr pointed out, are that information can be false, and the idea that it can be wrong is widely more accepted.

Weren’t we taught to seek the truth and report it? Report things that are newsworthy, not fluff? These trends in journalism today is what grinds my gears the most. It strikes me as journalists not being as thorough in their reporting. They just want their name as the first person to get the story out. Has the industry lost site of the importance of due diligence reporting?

With websites like Barstool and Buzzfeed taking over eyes of readers, what is considered under the umbrella of journalism anymore? Is it an umbrella ment for a sprinkle, or a hurricane. It seems that more and more sites cover sports, whether the information is 100% correct or not. I even admit to believing things I read on Barstool or other sports sites without checking to see the reliability of the source. There are a plethora of sites now that cover the same stories, each trying to get their unique spin on it.
This makes the future for sports journalists seem somewhat overwhelming.

Mastrodonato claims that we can pick which type of journalist we want to be. I think this is going to come into play even more when we eventually get into the field. Do you want to write for the Herald, with shorter stories, or write for online, where the stories can be longer? These are the kind of questions we have to ask ourselves. What kind of journalist do you want to be?

I definitely do not want to be known as a journalist who consistently does not have the whole truth or false information, but I don’t want to be the last one to the story. Our generation of journalists have to find a balance.

We have to evolve as writers as fast as the industry changes.

We have a long winding road ahead of us.

Natalie Robson posted on February 9, 2016 at 12:23 pm

In the back of my mind as I applied for colleges, I always told myself I never wanted to be a print journalist—because of its steady transition into online journalism. As naïve as I was to believe that print journalism was nothing more than writing articles for online publications, I think I was onto something. I didn’t want to be thrown in an arena with people writing articles that didn’t necessarily have a journalism background. It seemed unfair. Why do I have to put so much work into something like an education while someone who might not have even listened to a minute of a journalism class could write and post something that got so much attention?

I think this week’s seminar spoke to the fact that online writing for a newspaper e or a news outlet can be a really great profession—Jen and Jason get to cover the Red Sox for a living for crying out loud. But, as we talked we got into the gritty and somewhat grizzly details of the business—including the role social media plays in today’s journalism, and the notion of sacrificing accuracy for speed. Maybe this is what left a bad taste in my mouth about online—it seems like the days where journalists could be trusted to get the right information out, to be trusted, just isn’t as important any more.

I think this is a point where our profession is at a crossroads. As new students graduate from journalism schools, it’s our job to change the culture. We are often taught to learn from our elders and our peers, but what is that really saying when journalists think it’s ok to get it wrong? This is not the way we were taught to write so why bring it into a job. As we filter into locker rooms and assignment desks, maybe we can be the wave of journalists that rest our integrity on accuracy. Jason says that we must find our voices as journalists, to choose our own fate. I think we also choose our reputation. Wouldn’t you rather be known as the one that gets it right as opposed to being first? I think this goes back to a basic principle of quality over quantity.

Additionally, maybe accuracy is what it is going to take to get back into a working respected relationship with the athletes we cover. There is a lot of strain on the relationship, much like we saw last week, but maybe if we started writing more about fact as opposed to source information (that we can correct later) maybe this could be a positive step in the right direction. Twitter is a powerful tool to get our news out to our audiences, but it is a tool that can damage a career.

At the end of the day, there are ways that as working journalists, we can change our culture. As Jason told us, we have to get reps in there—even if we don’t necessarily want to be there. This will give us opportunities to make mistakes and work on our story telling. I think, much like an athlete, the more reps the better you are going to be. The more reps, the faster you can get the news out there and the more accurate you can become.

Taylor DiChello posted on February 9, 2016 at 8:30 pm

In a world where tweets can barely hold an attention span anymore, sports journalism is changing in ways that journalists haven’t been able to catch up to yet. And, until the day comes when we do catch up, it’s important that every single character out of 140 is correct. Whether we need to double or triple check our facts, everything a journalist puts on the internet better be 100% accurate. While journalists are only human and every human is bound to make a mistake, accuracy is what separates a journalist from other people without the journalism background that we have.
And if that isn’t the case in journalism anymore, why do I need to pay for an expensive education that teaches me the ethics of journalism just to set them aside upon getting my first job in order to appeal to the number of views my page gets?
When Jen McCaffrey said that she has had editors come up to her and say her article wasn’t getting enough views, I was floored. How can an industry measure their level of excellence to the number of page views they’ve gotten? Like Emily, I am worried about the future of sports journalism. I am worried that upon my first job, I will be graded by the amount of clicks my site receives, and not by the content or newsworthiness of my articles.
Yet, journalists are even getting paid for the amount of clicks their articles get. In an article in the New York Times written by David Carr, he reveals that Gawker Media pays $1,500 a month for a programs called “Recruits”. Once the recruits post an article, they get $5 for every 1,000 unique visitors their article attracts. As Carr says, if he were getting paid for every click, he may have begun his article in a more catchy, yet misleading way: “Will an oppressive emphasis on “click bait” mean that the news ends up imprisoned by transgendered models posing in disgraceful listicles accompanies by kidnapped nude kittens?” The article would have generated clicks through words that stood out like “kidnapped nude kittens” and “transgendered models”. But, the headline wouldn’t have reflected what the article was truly about. This leads to an ethical question: If journalists are getting paid for the amount of traffic they bring to the site and not on the content of their writing, are they actually responsible for putting out content that is correct?
In my mind, yes, of course a journalist is ethically responsible for bringing information to the public that is true and as objective as it could possibly be. But, even in my professional portfolio class, my professor emphasizes that in the changing world of journalism, being objective isn’t always the main goal. It’s confusing to be living through a significant change in journalism because older professors who are seasoned veterans in the field drill the ideas of objectivity and ethical standards into our heads, while younger professors have a different outlook on the field. Mastrodonato even points out that the Herald’s web traffic isn’t as strong, but the reason behind that is because his editors “prioritize the story above all else”, a trait in news that just isn’t relevant or profitable anymore.
Unfortunately, while twitter is great for popularity, it isn’t a profitable way to sustain the world of sports journalism. When Steve Elling was replaced at CBS Sports by “a blogger who nobody had ever heard of and a complete amateur as far as his bonafides”, it was becoming the norm to fire seasoned writers for cheaper, less experienced ones. With less experience comes more mistakes and with information being shoved into the internet so quickly, fact checking departments have become smaller as well.
Social media entering the journalism world isn’t necessarily a total loss, though. Showing who you are as a person and not just a journalist can make you more relatable to your readers and help you get those page likes. Jen was named the best journalist on twitter because of the way she connects with her readers in and out of the sports world. In real life Jen is sarcastic and witty and it shows on her social media page. When people meet her, they know they are getting the real Jen and not just the one she portrays on her twitter page. Even Jason, who admitted his social media game isn’t very strong, said, “You have to figure out who you are as a person so you know who you are as a journalist. Find what you like doing and figure out if you’re comfortable asking questions in difficult situations.” In practicing journalism, we’ll find our own brand and use it to build relationships with our readers.
People have called journalism a dying profession because of the internet. In many aspects I agree with them because anyone with a smartphone or twitter account can be a journalist, even if they don’t have the proper training. Even those with the proper training have to relearn how to write short, snappy stories that can quickly drive readers to a site without necessarily making sure all of the information in those stories are true. Mastrodonato is more optimistic about the future of journalism and says that one day we’ll find a way to make the internet collaborate better with journalism. But for now, I’m worried about where my first meal after college ends will come from, and it may not be able to be from journalism.

Haley K. King posted on February 9, 2016 at 10:40 pm

MassLive’s Jen McCaffrey recalls a time when she once published eight stories in a single day—of which were written on topics that would appease her editor or the fan base surrounding her beat at the time. Almost every story was just over 200 words and was, undoubtedly, pushed out through all of her social channels in hopes to drive more traffic to her company’s website—since that’s what newspapers care about nowadays.

In the age of the digital revolution, a journalist’s value—more often than not—based on the web traffic they generate, their stories’ bounce rates, and social amplifications. To make matters worse, the average online reader’s attention span is quickly fading, making it harder to entertain, engage and share then it was pre World Wide Web. Journalists need to master the art of mixed media, combining stories with photos, videos, GIFS, or infographics to captivate reader interest.

Meaning, reporters need to adapt to the evolving landscape in more ways than one. First of all, they need to tailor their physical content by becoming more concise, more efficient, and ultimately more versatile while integrating multimedia in order to, in McCaffrey’s words, “feed the beast.”

Second of all, reporters need to develop a strong social media presence to become successful—predominantly because social platforms generate more web traffic. But the social media landscape also provides today’s reporters with the unique ability to keep up with the constantly changing landscape, and a looking glass into what your colleagues or competitors are producing.

Jason Mastrodonato of the Boston Herald, commends McCaffrey’s ability to let her personality shine via her sarcasm and wit while remaining composed and professional which adds to her career as a young, successful female journalist in the testosterone dominated industry.

To stick on the topic of social media, in The Big Lead article we read by Jason McIntrye he claims that, “It’s more important to be successful on Facebook than it is to break news.” This quote alone reflects the industry’s shift from valuing a reporter’s craft and to the page views they generate. Meaning, news outlets like CBS Sports will quickly be dropping their seasoned journalists, in order to replace them with reporters who possess strong social media presences and brand identities, for social clout translates directly into web traffic.

Although during the majority of the seminar I felt rather disheartened about the whole shift that journalism has taken in recent years, Mastrodonato said something refreshing along the lines of: at the Herald, storytelling remains at the heart of our profession—sure we need some web help, but at least we’re shining in the storytelling department. This made me smile and I might start following along with him during baseball season because of it.

My biggest takeaways from the seminar?

1. It doesn’t matter where you work or how much experience you have under your belt, if you have good questions, don’t be afraid to ask them. People will respect you for it and you will build a good name and reputation for yourself.

2. That, and everyone associated with a team has valuable information—even the ball girls.

3. Facebook is responsible for driving 95% more traffic to a news outlet’s website than Twitter

Jake De Vries posted on February 9, 2016 at 11:01 pm

Sports is a business, and it appears that sports journalism is slowly but surely prioritizing business over journalism. Online journalism has changed the game because of the importance of web traffic, and the money that simply “clicking” on an article title can generate.

Jen constantly referred to “feeding the beast,” describing that she generates 4-8 stories per day to push out onto her site. The reason? Every time a reader comes to her page, there must be a new story to read, or more importantly, click on. Jen says that many of these stories are only three sentences long and about something as trivial as David Ortiz’s new haircut or Mookie Betts solving a Rubiks cube. Jason warned us that we’ll be writing four stories per day and we will often think that three of them suck. This is a philosophy that the generations before us would never put in the same ballpark as “journalism.” But that’s the name of the game nowadays. Speed and quantity are proving to be more important than quality, because speed and quantity is what generates the revenue.

As bleak as this prognosis may sound for the future of journalism, Jen did mention one thing that made my ears perk up as a young journalist. She told us that athletes don’t really care which news outlet you’re from, whether it be the Globe or MassLive, but as long as you ask good questions, athletes will treat you with respect. This was promising to hear because I believe that many of us will be nervous once we start working out of the same locker rooms as the superstar athletes we’ve always looked up to. I was reassured by this, and will feel more comfortable trusting my education and my journalistic instincts that I am asking the right questions and doing my job to the best of my capabilities.

Jason mentioned something reassuring as well: “You can choose what kind of journalist you want to be. That’s why 25 of us can be in the Red Sox locker room at once.” I thought this was a brilliant point. As we look into our futures, we all think we’re going to be noble journalists who will hunt down the truth and the difficult stories at all costs. But let’s be real: Jen McCaffrey, with a Syracuse journalism degree, probably thought this exact same thing in college. Now she’s often forced to write stories about Big Papi’s hair. As the landscape of sports journalism changes, it’s going to be tough, and probably impossible, to be that noble journalist all the time. We are often at the will of our editors, and we’re going to have to suck it up and write about Big Papi’s hair if we want our paychecks. That being said, Jason’s advice is important. Readers love different opinions from writers, so as long as you can bring your own voice to the table, there will be a seat at the table for you. That should be encouragement for us all.

Doyle Somerby posted on February 9, 2016 at 11:18 pm

Speed or Accuracy, fact or fiction. As technology evolves and becomes the center of journalism it brings a lot of mixed emotions. Eager journalists that do their job with certainty, passion, and accuracy have the ability to springboard themselves above other journalists due to the resources that are now available. Of course having the knack to find stories that will garner “views” is important yet, the most important trait is accuracy. While each reader has certain interests that he/she like to read about, it is all centered around the truth.
While I was unable to attend class on Thursday night, I had the privilege to speak with Jim Connolly of the Boston Herald on Saturday as well as two former BU students who are trying to make their way as sports reporters. Speaking with Jim was extremely beneficial because he really opened my eyes to how tedious the act of interview and relaying a story to the viewer. With each question he did not hesitate to ask for spellings and to get pertinent background information. This was a perfect example that while he was trying to get his story in on time, he still took the time to make sure he knew every fact of every answer. He knew that in order to be successful and have a story that would appeal to a lot of people, that he himself had to completely understand what he was writing.
Talking with Jim I was able to pick up the sense that readers trust a story and believe that it is 100% true. That is why it was interesting when I was able to talk to former students, I was able to see how quickly people react to a story. With the twitter world on high alert at all times, details can quickly spin a certain way that may not always be true. However, a lot of journalists want to be the first one to break a story. The more interest it spikes with the readers the more money they will make. In turn, the twitter world has created a bump in the road for journalists. Since no one wants to be late to the party when a story occurs, everyone tries to get their own twist quickly. This generation is taught, speed, speed, speed and if something doesn’t grab your attention enough in five seconds then it will not be read.
Unfortunately this has opened the doors for the likes of Barstool, the Chive and Buzzfeed. Rachel referenced these sites as well and I agree with the breakdown she wrote about them.
The sports journalism is changing and will continue to change as new technologies and ideas are presented. I personally am optimistic and can see a bright future with social media platforms, as long as journalists take the time to be accurate.

Sarah Kirkpatrick posted on February 9, 2016 at 11:36 pm

When I first read the description of the seminar — Journalism in 2016 — I prepared for a makeshift response. I had to miss the seminar last-minute, since we had to venture to UMass Amherst for a BU hockey game. With the impending snowstorm, I had a gut feeling that we might not be able to make it west in time, and opted to leave a night early by myself so we had at least one writer in Amherst for the game. It ended up not being a problem, since Judy and Andrew still got there before game time, but just wanted to be prepared, you know?

Anyway, I was going to write something about the convenience in 2016 of being able to check online if there was a bus going to Western MA that night, and how even if Judy and Andrew had gotten stranded by the storm, they still could have covered the game remotely, watched a stream, followed on Twitter, gained an understanding of what happened in alternative ways — we’ve done it before in dire situations, and while it’s not ideal, it’s a whole lot easier to work remotely in sports journalism than it was before. The resources are just that much better now. There are plenty of options with which you can make do, and you have to be able to adapt on a moment’s notice.

But based on this blog post, and how I’ve been filled in by my classmates, the discussion didn’t really go in that direction. Guess that means you can’t really fully understand something with just a couple-word description…

I’m specifically most heavily struck, from Prof. Shorr’s blog post and from conversing with my classmates, by the focus on page views and how journalism is more about clicks than substance — as described by many people, from my peers to seasoned journalism veterans, almost with a sense of impending doom.

But I don’t think that’s necessarily a shame to need to write 6 to 8 posts a day, embedded with links and promoted all over Twitter. You don’t need to write your magnum opus every single time you write something. It just needs to be accurate, and it needs to be something people want to read.

Andrew and I were actually talking about this in our Beat Reporting class, about how a lot of people want to be high-and-mighty reporters, writing long exposés and brilliantly layered pieces — but frankly, to be able to spend months at a time on a piece is a huge luxury. You have to write the little things to keep your business afloat and people reading. You have to do what the competition isn’t in order to draw people to your site. That’s just how the business is now.

People also tend to be hypocritical in journalism, I feel like — a lot of people tend to denounce listicles, clickbait, any sort of slightly off-color material that “isn’t news.” But at the same time, people, myself absolutely included, eat that up completely. Felix Hernandez is working with an animal shelter, and there’s a slideshow of him with puppies? Earl Thomas cut his hair? Riley Curry had a birthday party? Hell yeah, I’ll read that. Sports are entertainment, and people care about those sorts of things. I don’t think that necessarily makes us shallow — just fascinated consumers. Sports teams try to market their athletes as people, and these are all things that make people want to follow the teams more. When you can relate to an athlete — whether it’s through following their fashion choices or hilarious tweets — that’s better for teams.

And if you think about it at a deeper — probably way, way too deep — level, is it really that much more shallow to care about a player’s hair than it is to care about his walkoff home run? The world will still turn if David Ortiz doesn’t hit that home run. The world will still turn if he doesn’t cut his hair. Either thing is pretty inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. Yet we watch, and we care. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I think it’s fair to say I’m optimistic about the future of sports media. Jobs will continue to exist, just in a different capacity than they did before. It’s about accepting that things will always change, in any field, and that there’s nothing inherently bad about that.

Andrew Battifarano posted on February 9, 2016 at 11:56 pm

Feeding the beast.

We heard that plenty of times during our class discussion with Jen McCaffrey and Jason Mastrodonato. In this day and age, sports journalists are not only there to report on the game, but to drive page views on their respective websites. As Jake and some of my other classmates alluded to in their comments, journalism is a business. Page views drive that business. After reading through Gabbie’s comments, I was surprised to hear that she was not as well versed with page views and that side of journalism. It seems like something I hear about all the time. Page views, unique views and SEO are all I hear about at The Daily Free Press and other publications I’ve worked for.

After reading the article about CBSSports.com on thebiglead, I was not one bit shocked.

I’ve had internships at different digital sports media companies in both Boston and New York. A lot of the work was not reporting, but aggregation. Unfortunately, some of the pieces written are fluff and what we refer to as clickbait. Are these negatives? Sometimes, yes. It’s unfortunate to see so many outlets, like CBS, switch from actual reporting to re-writing news stories. There’s almost this sense that the industry is at a crossroads and the bubble is about to burst. But is that really true? Is it really that bad?

Honestly, I don’t think things are going to blow up anytime soon. I’m in the same camp as Jason, who said that he’s more positive, and that we just haven’t figured things out quite yet. And I really believe that to be true. Just think about it logically.

We jumped from a newspaper and TV heavy industry to one that’s internet-based in about 10 years, plus or minus a few years. We’re still adjusting to all of the technology at our disposal, and it’s not an easy process. Take Twitter for example.

Eight years ago, Twitter was just in its early stages. No one knew knew exactly what the point of it was, especially if there were Facebook statuses to write. Since then, Twitter has become a one-stop shop (well, almost) for news, especially sports news. I can follow my favorite teams, beat writers, news outlets and, yes, bloggers. With that comes live game, injury and trade updates. That would have been unfathomable when I was born. But it’s the way the world works now. As Sarah mentioned in her post, Twitter and social media as a whole really are ways to stay in the know about the sports we cover. That’s an amazing tool that we should not take for granted.

Yes, we’ve had issues with breaking news on Twitter. We saw the bad reporting from Chris Mortensen about “Deflategate” and the lambasting that followed. There have been false reports about transactions, especially around MLB trade deadline season (Jim Bowden, anyone?). But, overall, the good journalists — the ones I tend to follow — are right 99 out of 100 times.

It’s not as if reports were always correct in the days of just print media. There were, and still are, inaccuracies, that happen almost every day. That’s what the correction page is for. Is being wrong OK? Not one bit. Does it happen? You bet. With Twitter, it’s easy to see how the lines can get blurred.

But going back to how Jason and Jen mentioned how they could write up to six stories per day, I can see how one might think that’s excessive. Is it really newsworthy to post a story about David Ortiz’s new haircut? Three articles before a game even begins could be over the top. I can see how some might think this is too much and not worth our time. Jake, in his comment, discussed Mookie Betts and his Rubik’s Cube talent. Honestly, I have to say I respectfully disagree with his opinion here. Mookie Betts solving a Rubik’s Cube. That is awesome. All we hear about is how guys perform in the game and what they do to prepare for said game.

From time to time, I love to read the story that’s offbeat, that shows the human side of people. Sarah and I, I think, are in the same camp here. TMZ gossip stories are not what I’m talking about, but the ones that show the side of an athlete that we otherwise might not see. When the Wall Street Journal wrote about Jets players using Tinder to pick up women during training camp (http://www.wsj.com/articles/how-nfl-players-look-for-true-love-1407963624), I thought that was incredible. No one else had that. During the standard print era, these stories were not possible because of limited space. Now, on the web, we can publish these things instantly. I understand why some might be opposed to all of this rapid, sometimes nonsensical news, but it’s the nature of the game today.

There’s the good and the bad with journalism in 2016. But I think the good far outweighs the bad. Jason and Jen — they are hardworking, young beat writers that have busted their asses to get where they are. That’s the essence of reporting that I think will always remain.

The rest of the changing industry, well, we need to adapt to it.

Timmy Lagos posted on February 10, 2016 at 12:11 am

Too often nowadays in the world of sports journalism, and journalism in general, reporters sacrifice accuracy in order to get the story out first before anyone else. Take the example of Wilmer Flores during last year’s baseball season. News broke on Twitter that he had been traded to the Milwaukee Brewers, yet he, his teammates, and even his coaches had no idea this had happened. Flores actually found out from a fan in the stands who had seen the news on Twitter and then relayed the information to Flores as he took the field. This led to the famous image of Flores crying on the field during the middle of the game. Of course, the news turned out to be false and he remained on the Mets and went to the World Series. But here was a case of a “journalist” not checking on their information and waiting for the official notice of the trade and instead prematurely announcing what would turn out to be false news, causing a big commotion and emotional distress for Flores for no reason. We as journalists can not sacrifice accuracy in order to be the first to break the story because if you do that, while you may be remembered as the first to break the story, you will be remembered for the wrong reasons. I feel that this is what sports journalism has turned into today, especially because of social media sites like Twitter, and it needs to change before journalists lose even more credibility than they already have.

In terms of what Jen and Jason spoke about, one big theme I took away was the idea of how important page views have become in the journalism industry. No longer is it all about writing about and reporting on the game and the players, now it is making sure you have stories on the things you know the fans will be interested in, even if they are kind of ridiculous. As Jen pointed out, gone are the days where all your stories are focused solely on an aspect of a players game or the game itself, now you need to write sometimes odd stories such as the one about Ortiz’s haircut, because more people are interested in that than how a player is trying to change their swing. And I think this is flat out the wrong way to go about it. No journalist should be judged solely on how many views their page gets. They could be writing fantastic, compelling stories about whatever team and sport they are covering, but those stories just may not be what the fans are most interested in, so they don’t get as many views as the journalist who writes funny, quirky stories about players that get the fans attention. So while I understand to an extent that page views are important, the fact that they are becoming more and more the sole way to judge a journalist is a scary concept to me.

Going off of this, I agree with what Gabbie said about not being prepared here at BU in the online field as well as I would’ve liked. While the journalism department offers online journalism as a class and some classes such as JO514 emphasize writing and producing online and video content over just print, I don’t think there is enough of an emphasis on the online journalism field. I believe the department needs to see how we are moving towards a world where online journalism is the dominant form of journalism and adjust accordingly to provide the students the practice and education they need in that field.

One other big theme I took out of this came from the tips Jason gave at the end of the seminar. The main idea I took from all of those was that you need to be able to adjust and want to go the extra yard in order to succeed in this business. Even if you think the job is awful, if it’s offered to you, take it. Talk to everyone on the team, not just the stars and regular “talkers” because sometimes it’s these behind the scenes people that have the best stories. And I think the most important tip he could give was that you are going to have bad days, but you need to move on and it’s how you respond to those bad days that make you a good journalist. It’s always reassuring to hear from a professional that yes, not everyone is perfect and you will have a bad day, but that’s ok and if you’re able to move past that and get better from that experience, it will help you in the long run.

The future of sports journalism is both exciting and scary. With social media and online tools, journalists are able to reach people in ways they never could before. But with the reality of page views being such a big part of journalists lives nowadays, I worry that this will cause journalists to change the way they write or what they write about just to please fans, even if the way they were doing it before was perfectly fine. Hopefully it never comes to that.

Alex Greenberg/Alex Smith/Zach Halperin posted on February 10, 2016 at 9:26 am

Listen to episode 2 of The Shorr Report here!

https://soundcloud.com/user-872962998/the-shorr-report-episode-2

Judy Cohen posted on February 10, 2016 at 11:07 am

When Jen McCaffrey and Jason Mastrodonato came to speak to our class Thursday, I found I was able to relate fairly well to what they were talking about.

I interned at WEEI.com last January through August, and in that time I did a lot of what we talked about during class. Like the piece about CBS mentioned, part of my responsibilities involved aggregating news when something notable happened in the sports world. Some of it was on the serious side, like updates on Aaron Hernandez’s trial, and others were a little more “trivial,” like two men from Ireland sneaking into Super Bowl XLIX.

It wasn’t my favorite part of my internship, but like Jason mentioned, in this day and age you’re going to have to write those “lesser” posts, so the key is to allot your energy accordingly. That way, when you go to sit down and do that feature or that recap, you have the energy to write it as well as you want (though he also mentioned you’re not always going to love what you write, which I am certainly aware of). The posts are never particularly long, unlike maybe a gamer or sidebar, but your audience wants the information and you want to be the source they go to to get it, so you provide it.

I covered a few Sox games over the summer, and that typically involved at least three or four posts going up over the course of the afternoon. One about the game’s lineup for the evening, one recanting any noteworthy info from the clubhouse and/or the manager’s pregame press conference, sometimes an immediate recap of the game and then usually a sidebar about a player who or play that influenced the game.

Even with the hockey blog, Sarah, Andrew and I don’t always do huge posts when we get breaking news. If BU reportedly gets a new recruit, we start a post for it on the site. It’s never longer than 200 or 300 words, and it’s just whatever stats we can find about the kid on eliteprospects.com if he’s there, plus a few tweets from him or the report we gleaned the information from. But it’s news, and people want to know about it.

Those kinds of posts are different I think from the ones like David Ortiz’s haircut, which we talked about, or my Super Bowl post, and instead follow Jen’s experience of just throwing up a quick post when you learn new information. If someone on the Red Sox has reaggravated an injury, she said, she’ll write a post so people perusing baseball news might click on hers instead of someone else’s. With WEEI, if something like that happened, it would go in my pregame notes unless it was SUPER crucial information that needed its own post.

That also has a lot to do with the speed Jen and Jason mentioned that is so emphasized in writing for online. When the news cycle in 24 hours, you want your platform to be the place people go to get their news, or at least be the ones to have it first. That can create problems if people sacrifice accuracy for efficiency, which can happen, so obviously the ideal is to be fast AND correct. When that happens, a site is in a good position to acquire and maintain readers, but its writers need to be aware that while it is important that you get the story out first, it’s also important that it’s correct. That might mean just attributing where necessary so you give credit where credit is due or, in the case it ends up being wrong if it’s a report, you’ve made it clear you’re just relaying the information.

As journalists today, we have to be able to adapt to that type of writing. You’ll get to do those longer stories you care about more, but you also have to be able to manage the others, too. The key is finding the balance between how you approach each one.

Anna Padilla posted on February 10, 2016 at 11:20 am

It was hard not leave the recent sports seminar with out a sense of dread or gloom. The two guest speakers were shining examples of how you can (still) make a profession out of print sports writing. While the paths they took to their current jobs were very different, it was clear that that Jen McCaffrey and Jason Mastrodonato will be successful.

But successful as what? Reporters? Writers? Or will they have a successful career as factory workers in a product line that limits quality, creativity and accuracy for page views and link clicks?

“The future of (sports) journalism” is already a cumbersome subject and an overused phrase. After the guest panelists in our class as well as outside speakers one thing is clear. No one has any idea what is going to happen to this profession.

But the recent events at CBSSports.com, continual lay offs at ESPN as well as major news outlets in general have told us two things: sports journalism doesn’t want us, sports journalism doesn’t need us. I feel as if this message is continually purveyed then the class size at journalism schools might disappear. Trained and practices writers will diminish. There could be no new writers like Jen McCaffrey and Jason Mastrodonato and my fellow classmates to mold the new sports journalism.

Journalism is a business, I understand. Money needs to be made. But if the business model is heavily based on page views and a small staff aggregating then who are we to trust when we read online? Reporting, in an extremely nostalgic way is art. And I think that is why people are so protective. And when the business aspect overcomes the art, if you will, aspect it worries us.

I have realized that there are times I am reading online and I do not who wrote it or what outlet it was from. That is kind of what the internet does to you as a reader. Something pops up, you click on it, glance at it, and move it. Quickly. And now that page not only has my “click” but I have read it with no sense of where it came from or if it could be inaccurate. And the scary part is that I do not even realize that happening.

If everyone is turning to aggregating and the 6-8 fast as you can blips of information are mostly what is being posted, rewritten and regurgitated then where is there a place for sports reporters anymore? And who is responsible if someone messes up and is inaccurate? Who know is at the top of the food chain? Because it doesn’t seem as if the editor of major news outlet is.

I loved the optimism of my fellow classmates and the panel. I just hope the internet is not to fast or too vast for a beat print reporter.

Dakota Woodworth posted on February 10, 2016 at 11:28 am

As I went through the process of choosing a major, I had sort of a similar but contrasting experience as Natalie. I knew I wanted to pick journalism, however I wanted to stray from the trending online journalism. I knew that the world was going through a technological transition, but I’ve always been a little bit resistant to it – hard cover books instead of kindles, newspaper deliveries instead of blogs. There’s just always been something about the ‘old ways’ that I seem to value much more.
This way of thinking is probably a little closed-minded especially when there are so many important pieces and incredible careers made with online journalism. It’s two different worlds inside the same professional umbrella. Both sides value and prioritize different things – online journalism has both a demand and opportunity for speed that print simply does not because of the ever-growing presence of social media. Because of that extra time print journalism has, the value that has been instilled in all of us – the value of accuracy – has been held onto much more closely. Like the article we talked about in class last week, the value of speed has overtaken the value of accuracy. Especially if its ‘just online’, like Professor Shorr said, you can just take the article down, or post an ‘update’ which is really just a correction, without any real consequences.
I just refuse to accept this to be the path that journalism is headed down. But I also have faith in the good journalists who won’t budge on their original values and who still strive for accuracy. And maybe there has to be a sort of middle ground. Like Jen and Jason both said, maybe you have to write three or four pieces about Ortiz’s haircut to ‘feed the beast’ and get those pageviews – but that fifth piece is going to be something really important and something that you’re really passionate about. To be honest, that sounds worth it to me. As long as there are journalists that fight for those passionate pieces then journalism is not doomed.
So we’re just in a state of transition, it seems. We’ve come to a place where we have to consider those 3-4 daily pieces as a part of our profession, but there’s that silver lining of those important pieces. Those pieces, and the people who continue to write them, will be the most important things in journalism going forward.

Ashley Boitz posted on February 10, 2016 at 11:53 am

This week’s seminar showed me a new side of online journalism that I had not really thought about before. We had Jen MaCaffery and Jason Mastrodonato come in and speak to us about their experiences in the business. One thing I found very interesting was Jen talked a lot about page views and clicks. She told us that she has to write a lot of stories that are not per say “breaking news” but she has to feed the online sources so viewers keep clicking in to read. To me this was something I sort of over looked, as students in class we are taught to write longer and bigger pieces of journalism, but she talked about how in one day she may write six to eight short stories to put online.

Jen told the story about how she was in the Redsox’s clubhouse and Mookie was playing with a Rubik’s cube, she only tweeted a picture of it. The next day her boss was upset with her because she did not write a story about Mookie playing with the Rubik’s cube. I suppose the days where sports journalism consists on the just the game are no longer all reader cares about. They want more, they want to know what athletes do in their spear time. To me this is something I over looked in the journalism business, not that I do not read these stories, but I sort of assumed or that sports journalist just focus on the game, now I see that as a journalist in order to keep your job you have “feed the beast” and give readers what will spark the most interest or page views.

One thing I am always uncomfortable doing it tweeting. Jason spoke about how he does not really tweet but Jen uses twitter very frequently. After Thursday’s seminar I decided to look at Jen’s twitter to see some examples of her work and what made them appealing yet appropriate. She had a lot of short but informative tweets that showed her personality. There is a mix of sports, personal, and re-tweets of work she had read and enjoyed. One this both Jen and Jason talked about was reading other people’s work to learn how to better your own. I really liked that Jen talked about twitter after looking at her tweets I saw how she incorporates her professional career with her personal life.

One thing Jen and Jason stressed a lot was to always say yes to opportunity. Jen spoke about an internship she had for the New England Revolution soccer team and how she did not like driving so far every day, but this gave her a lot of writing experience in professional sports early on. This speaks to me because there are times that I do not like my internship and at times it’s had to think about what could come from doing it. Jen is an example of that, her resume is packed with jobs and internships, to me this is a little reminded that saying yes to any opportunity can really benefit in the long run.

Stephanie Tran posted on February 10, 2016 at 11:58 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrScr5XalwA

Stephanie Tran posted on February 10, 2016 at 12:23 pm

Forgot to add something in my video response…this is the correct one. Sorry about that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WLzBre_PiY

Justin Akiva posted on February 10, 2016 at 1:50 pm

Today the word journalism can be defined in many different ways, as there are so many different ways to be a journalist. Honestly, today if you post a 140-word tweet you can be considered an online journalist and that is pretty ridiculous. The reader has such a small attention span today that the day before a trade deadline “sports fans” are more then happy with just clicking the refresh button on twitter to see who is going where. They do not care about the details of the trade or the impact it will make on their team, they just want to say “Oh yes we got Lebron.” If you think about it the change on sports journalism even has an effect on fandom, as fans don’t care as much to read about their teams anymore. They just want to know the news that they can view on Twitter and Facebook. They are even too lazy to click on the links that Twitter and Facebook sometimes offer. They see the picture and the little comment that goes along with it and that’s it they are happy.

This type of online journalism is ridiculous because it has caused so many problems and is not always accurate especially when reporting about individual athletes. Most athletes are active on twitter and there have been many instances where these athletes are pestered by the rumors about them coming back from injury or retiring. For example, back in December it was reported all over Twitter and Facebook by major online journalists that Kyrie Irving was going to return the court for the Cavaliers next game and it ended up being completely false information. Kyrie even went as far as to tweet back and say “ Sorry to dwindle the news, but I won’t be returning tmrw. It was wrongfully reported. When I do come back you’ll hear it directly from me.” These online journalists hear one thing and they believe they can just post it on social media because if their wrong they can just delete it without any evidence. And it continues to be ridiculous because the “fans” are so happy to see their favorite player come back and then end up being sidelined. However, they don’t care about the player, they tweet things like “ Alright Kyrie imma stay tuned. My fantasy team needs you.” Or “I need you to come back ASAP I need you on 2k.” This is another conversation but it is ridiculous that the fans are upset with their online journalists they’re more upset about their player actually taking care of their injury.

Online journalism is becoming more and more ridiculous and like I mentioned before most people just scroll through the tweets and posts so this whole notion of web traffic is ridiculous. The fact that McCaffrey talked about online journalism being all about web traffic and your Internet audience sucks for any journalists. It sucks for them because how do you expect to get a lot of web traffic and a large audience if most reader’s attention span is so small that they can barely read anything past a tweet. In a world where readers/viewers attention spans are just getting smaller how are online journalists going to survive if all that matters is web traffic and Internet audience?

The evolution of journalism is pretty extraordinary and it really upsets me. How the amount of clicks your link gets is what determines if you get a raise or get fired? And how can journalists even think that it is okay to be incorrect if you can just replace it later? These concepts are so ridiculous to me and I cannot imagine what journalism will be like in another twenty years. If you are getting paid to report the right news shouldn’t you want to report the right news?

Dakota Randall posted on February 10, 2016 at 11:04 pm

Here’s a link to a podcast I did for a comment.

https://soundcloud.com/dakrandall/seminar3