Say It Ain’t so……

They have become a punch line….less than a week after resigning as a reporter for ComcastSportsNet, Jess Moran and Red Sox Manager John Farrell are a joke, literally!

In an story about how Boston’s winter teams are enjoying success, Dan Shaughnessey quips “The Celtics’ and Bruins” seasons might last longer than John Farrell as Red Sox manager.”  Now granted, much of this analogy might have to do with the Sox won/loss record but ever since word of the “relationship” surfaced, people are wondering (aloud) “just how long will ownership put up with this (two year) affair”

I can’t imagine that either Farrell or Moran intended get to this point but so they have and it says here, they have no one to blame but themselves …

“I’m just so damned disappointed”, said Jackie MacMullan, just recently on WEEI Sports Talk Radio’s Dale and Holley Show…”this can’t happen, it’s unprofessional”…

Some might call it unethical as well…At a recent Boston University sports journalism seminar on race and gender I asked Dr. Kyoung-yim Kim, of the Boston College Sociology department,  when athletes say they shouldn’t be considered role models are they just trying to avoid responsibility ?…”That’s if you assume they have responsibility”…a telling answer…

I talked with a freelance sports journalism friend of mine and she at first her reaction was “Doesn’t she understand what she was risking?”…But later as she thought more about it she asked me “Are we holding her more responsible than him?”…Since Moran resigned, perhaps it seems that way in the short term…Farrell refuses to comment on the liaison and with each day’s passing, the situation moves to the background of the news cycle…

At that same seminar with Dr. Kim, Boston Herald deputy managing editor Zuri Berry talked about where athletes learn the standards by which they lead their lives…Said Berry, “I would hope they’d get their values from the leaders and leader figures in their lives (before they start playing).  The problem is, it’s not always the case.”

What was the message  Farrell sending to his players in this case?…And how about to the reporters covering the team?Journalists spend years forging relationships based on trust and honesty…Why now would a player possibly share information with a reporter if the player thought that same information might find its way back to the manager?…There’s no way a reporter, Moran in this case, can continue to operate in that environment…

Women who cover sports teams have a hard enough job without being painted with a broad brush…When Wendi Nix worked at WHDH TV she was married to the Red Sox General Manager Ben Cherrington…All kinds of scenarios could have occured but both were incredibly professional about it…She covered the Red Sox and never used him as a source…In fact, at a seminar they both shared, Nix recounted a story about Johnny Damon’s departure from the Sox after the 2005 season…Nix and Cherrington were having a meal at a Boston restaurant when her phone rang…It was Johnny’s agent, whom Nix had contacted for an update….As it turned out, the update was that Damon had chosen the New York Yankees but Nix couldn’t tell anyone yet because the Yankees hadn’t made it official!….Nix looked at Cherrington, smiled and never said a word, never even telling him who the caller was….

Let’s hope more sports journalists can act in as polished a manner as Nix did that day….

Emily Tillo posted on March 12, 2016 at 8:41 pm

“My life is mine.”

Dr. Kyoung-yim Kim’s sister wrote these words on a piece of paper when she left home at a young age to pursue her dream of becoming a professional golfer…a dream her father strongly opposed.

As I reflected on our conversation at last week’s seminar about whether or not an athlete has social responsibilities to uphold and as I read Professor Shorr’s blog post, I couldn’t help but think about the irony embedded in that powerful note.

What about these words do I find so contradictory?

Well, we can start by going all the way back to our first seminar to find the answer.

RJ Hunter and Jordan Mickey are not household names by any means, but these Celtics rookies are well versed in media training and well aware of what their sports organization wants them to say and how it expects them to act. There’s certain procedures players are expected to follow when it comes to answering questions in press conferences and posting opinions on social media.

As Dr. Kim implied, both college and professional athletes are under “external corporate power.” So, how much of a professional athlete’s life is truly his/her own? Not much, I’ve come to realize.

From the day Mickey stepped onto LSU’s campus until the moment he graduated, he received media training…and the lesson plan hasn’t changed since he’s joined the NBA. “They [coaches, teams, media departments] all say the same things, “Put the team before yourself. Always praise coaches, school, whatever organization you’re under at that time,” Mickey said.

If two NBA rookies—players who don’t have mega-million dollar marketing sponsorships—seemingly have lives that are very little their “own,” this issue only gets much worse for higher-profile athletes.

Take Lebron James, for instance. He earns approximately 42 million dollars a year from endorsements (source: Forbes). But with great power, athletic talent, and marketability comes great responsibility and expectations, at the expense of the athlete’s true independence. That’s just the way it goes. There are always sacrifices involved, and as is the case of many professional athletes, their sacrifices happen to be much greater due to the heavily scrutinized position society puts them in.

Countless athletes, like Dr. Kim’s sister, make it to the professional level of their sport and are expected to wear certain outfits, endorse specific brands, and—as we saw with Hunter and Mickey—say certain things.

“At the end of the day it’s an illusion,” Zuri Burry said. Media coverage and hype surrounding certain athletes automatically thrusts them into the spotlight. “Because of the hype behind Lebron James that automatically makes him a role model…I don’t want to agree with that.”

Neither do I. Yet athletes have social responsibilities, whether they like it or not.

It may be an illusion, but it’s an illusion we must accept as reality. It is impossible—and personally I feel it is unethical—to argue that a player’s on field performance can be viewed separately from his/her off-the-field endeavors.

However, the conversation about social responsibility doesn’t just pertain to the athletes. The recent controversy surrounding the Moran-Farrell affair that Professor Shorr alluded to in his blog adds a whole new element to last week’s seminar and brings up another crucial point: It’s not just athletes who are thrust into the spotlight and have certain responsibilities to uphold as public figures. Sports reporters do, too.
Like the athletes they cover, sports reporters must make sacrifices. In a Boston Globe article published yesterday—“Why the relationship between John Farrell, reporter matters”—Red Sox beat reporter and former seminar guest Jen McCaffrey responded to the controversy by saying, “It’s not just about two people having a relationship. It’s a professional environment.”

Sorry, Moran and Farrell, I don’t care if you’re in love. A journalist’s job is to be objective, not to “protect relationships,” as Zuri Burry put it, since doing so prevents reporters from “examining an issue as critically as possible.”

Moran and Farrell can argue all they want about how their personal lives are their own, but my only response to them is this: It ain’t that easy.

Timmy Lagos posted on March 12, 2016 at 11:25 pm

I haven’t read much into the situation between Farrell and Moran, but from what I do know about it, it seems to go against everything that I’ve learned in my classes, from professors, and from any guest speakers I’ve had throughout my time here at BU. First and foremost, a reporter needs to be objective. How in the world is Moran supposed to be able to do that while in a relationship with the manager of the team she is covering? I just can’t see how she’d be able to. Professor Shorr also brings up a great point that I didn’t even think of and that is that this not only affects her image among the media and her ability to be objective, but also her relationship with the players. The players may now answer questions differently or not at all out of fear that they will get in trouble with their manager if Moran shares this information with him. It’s just a mess of a situation and one that could’ve been avoided if both Moran and Farrell had kept it professional.

Going back to our seminar with Zuri Berry and Dr. Kim, I agree wholeheartedly with Emily when she says that she finds the phrase “My life is mine” to be ironic.

When someone becomes a professional athlete, or even a college or high school athlete at a high-profile school, they are giving up some of their privacy and independence. For the rest of their careers, and sometimes even after their careers are over, everything they do will be placed under an intense microscope. That’s just the way things work nowadays with the scrutiny of the media, the rise of social media sites such as Twitter and Facebook, and the ability of the general public to videotape and post incidents involving athletes on these sites.

Going off of that, Zuri and Dr. Kim both brought up the fact that when an athlete does something stupid or controversial, it becomes a bigger news story than it would normally be with someone else, sometimes because of social media or fan videos. But Zuri also said that the reason for this is because a lot of fans develop and feel a connection with the players on their favorite teams as opposed to say their favorite actor. So when this player that they feel a connection with does something wrong, it generates more intense feelings. I can attest to this being a Yankees fan and going through the whole process of Alex Rodriguez admitting to his steroid use in 2009 and apologizing for it. Then a few years later he’s caught again and suspended for an entire season. I foolishly believed that A-rod had told the truth back in ’09, that he was sorry and he was done with using steroids, and when it came out that he wasn’t a few years later, myself and many Yankees fans felt betrayed because of the connection we thought we had with him.

Something else touched on a bit in Professor Shorr’s post above and during the seminar was the question of whether or not professional athletes should be considered role models, and even if they have a responsibility to be. Dr. Kim and Zuri seemed to not think so, but I feel the complete opposite. I believe that athletes do have a responsibility to be role models. Now Zuri brought up Aaron Hernandez, and how he is an example that shows that athletes aren’t responsible for being role models because no one in their right mind would want to idolize him. I think he still had an obligation as an athlete to be that role model that can be looked up to, but he failed to. The fact that he failed doesn’t take away from the idea that he had a responsibility when he turned pro to be a role model.

This all goes off my previous point about athletes being thrust into the spotlight and under an intense microscope when they go pro. Like it or not, when you make that transition, you immediately become more visible to the media and to fans, young and old, and with that visibility should come a responsibility to act the right way and in a way that kids and young athletes can emulate and respect.

You hear all the time from stars who had idols growing up. The one that comes to mind off the top of my head is Carmelo Anthony idolizing Bernard King as a child. Of course there are many others, but my point is that even the stars were young once upon a time, and they looked up to someone and wanted to be like that person, and it helped them get to where they are today. If you go around causing issues and making the news for all the wrong reasons, what message does that send to the next generation of athletes of how they should act? You may not like it, but becoming a professional athlete brings with it more attention, and with that attention, more responsibility to be a positive role model for young athletes to look up to.

Whether it’s working as a reporter for a team or playing as a professional athlete, they both have a responsibility to be professional and to act and work in a way that can be respected by those around them and those younger than them that are aspiring to get to where they are.

Sarah Kirkpatrick posted on March 13, 2016 at 8:30 pm

I’m breaking away from Andrew and Judy this week because I have a lot of thoughts that I think can be better expressed in written form. Now that I’ve had time to process my thoughts a little better, I wanted to focus specifically on this idea of a “role model” that we discussed with Zuri Berry and Kyoung-Yim Kim. I stumbled over my words a bit in class, saying that athletes’ off-field actions don’t, or shouldn’t, matter to me, as long as they don’t impact their on-field performance. I was told that was a pretty low standard for someone, and Aaron Hernandez was brought up as an example.

So I guess, apparently, not murdering someone makes you a good role model. If we’re talking about low standards…that’s probably a better example. There’s a big difference between a “bad role model” and then a straight-up criminal.

But here’s what I really want to get at: Often our notions of what constitutes a “good role model” are very, very racialized. Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady are good role models (hint: white). Cam Newton is a bad role model (hint: black). We admire Russell Wilson, though, because, while black, is very Christian, very “white-acting” for all intents and purposes, and visits the Seattle Children’s Hospital pretty much every day of the week. He’s a Jesus-loving, chaste, charitable guy, so we’re allowed to admire him.

We expect our athletes to be responsible, good citizens — but through a very, very narrow, white-washed, sometimes classist definition of what constitutes a good citizen. It’s really a whole lot more complicated than that. They are adults, capable of making decisions on their own, but they’re placed in a harsh spotlight, and every move they make is up for critique. Our notion of a bad role model is someone who speaks his or her mind, or is vocal, sometimes overconfident, goes out and drinks…all things that basically all adults do, but that get blown out of proportion when an athlete does them.

I understand why teams want athletes to maintain a good, charitable image, from a marketing sense. But here’s the main thing: We can admire good deeds from athletes outside of the playing arena, but we shouldn’t expect them all to be the same way. At the end of the day, athletes don’t owe us as fans anything besides a good athletic performance, and it’s irresponsible and demeaning to suggest otherwise.

As for this whole Jess Moran debacle — I’ve been battling with this a bit, but ultimately have a bad feeling about how it’s being handled in the media. I don’t think there’s any question that dating a source is off the table as long as you’re reporting on that source. But the media has very much pounced on it as an opportunity to turn women against other women, which is very, very problematic. I’ve battled specifically with Chad Finn’s piece (https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2016/03/10/media/WcEIMAT4F8pRdcEFyVlHgI/story.html) where he talked to other women who cover the Red Sox, including previous guest Jen McCaffrey, about the irresponsible nature of Moran’s actions.

The piece almost came across as women needing to validate that they would NEVER do such a thing, sort of a high-and-mighty tone that had a sense of “well, I’m better than SOME people.” It just seemed very aggressive, very attacking, and very unnecessary. Respect of women isn’t achieved by women bringing other women down.

Natalie Robson posted on March 13, 2016 at 9:23 pm

I think it was good we had a little time before posting our comments to the blog this week—a lot of things in sports happened. One I would like to bring up is Maria Sharapova failing her drug test. You don’t even have to be a tennis fan to know this was a huge bombshell. Last Monday I was getting on a plane back home thinking my tennis hero was retiring, as soon as we landed I found out she was doping [potentially strong word, but hey, this was upsetting]. I bring this up because I think this was a relevant issue that was brought up with our talk with Dr. Kim and Mr. Berry, in this instance I want to look at the stance that Dr. Kim had on her overall view of professional female golfers and women in sports in general. Maria Sharapova is a five-time Grand Slam Champion and earned $29.5 million last year alone—she is the highest paid female athlete in the world. Yet, when the scandal broke I feel like there was barely a ripple as far as coverage. If you compared it to any top male athlete—heck lets keep it strictly to tennis—if Rafael Nadal or Novak Djokovic tested dirty, you bet we would hear about it.

Let’s even broaden the scale to potentially an even lesser known sport than tennis—cycling. Yes, it gets covered on network stations during the Tour, but not at the majority of other races during the year. When I say cycling, we say Lance Armstrong—who not only is associated with Livestrong, but I would make a strong argument that one of the first words people think is doping. Now, I completely understand that he had a long history of deny deny deny in terms of doping and Sharapova did not. However, I find that she makes a great impact in the tennis world that he did for cycling, yet he got a two day sit down interview to confess his sins, she had a press conference in a downtown Los Angeles hotel with ugly carpet—her words not mine.

I guess this leaves me with one question, is it just because she’s a female athlete or is it because tennis isn’t as big of a sport? My guess is she’s a house hold name for a lot of people—whether it’s her looks, her grunt or just her straight up ability to play tennis, there is no lack of recognition when it comes to Sharapova. So why is it that this all seems to be brushed under the rug?

Beside my Sharapova anecdote, I think Dr. Kim hit on a lot of good points as far as women’s issues, it sounds like a lot of international female athletes struggle far more in terms of success—I think they just play for the love of the game. I think that speaks volumes because I don’t always think that female athletes are always out there to acquire fame or recognition, especially when only recently the conversation has been started about pay equality [at least in tennis, thanks to the likes of Billie Jean King and Venus Williams].

As women, we want to be seen as equals to our male counterparts, whether it be on the court, in the office and in life. I am so ready for the day that people around the water cooler not stop recognizing Sharapova solely as the girl who grunts, but also the Grand Slam champion that might have doped. If we want to be treated and covered as athletes during our good times, ladies, it’s only fair if we get equally criticized when we royally screw up.

Vanessa de Beaumont posted on March 14, 2016 at 2:59 am

Because I’ve been nothing but perfectly candid thus far, I’ll admit it: I found this seminar to be the most awkward by far.

Perhaps it was the absurd heat in the room, but more likely it was the conversation which caused me too frequently, and unnecessarily, sip my water.

From my perch in the front row, I shifted in my seat to glance back, and as Professor Shorr noted, noticed the room’s notable lack of diversity.

Dr. Kyoung-yim Kim and Zuri Berry in particular, spoke at length about the courage it requires to delve into issues surrounding race with someone of a different one.

Obviously, I was not as brave or prepared as I believed myself to be.

Perhaps this was why I gravitated to the emerging conversation about athletes as role models.

After listening to seminar discussion, and reading through my peers’ comments, it seems to me that I fall furthest along the spectrum; I firmly believe that athletes are, unequivocally, role models. Period.

Berry said that the notion that athletes have social responsibility is an “illusion.” Fair. Fine. But as I discussed with him after the seminar’s end, accepting social responsibility and acting as a role model are very different things. Taking an active stance, beginning a movement, discussing challenging, often politically charged issues – that is social responsibility. Being a good role model? That, to me, is as simple as being a mature, responsible, kind human being.

Citing LeBron James as an example, Berry went on to propose that “hype” emphasizes this responsibility. He criticized James’ hesitance to respond to the Tamir Rice situation after so publicly responding to other controversial situation-led movements and conversations like it. It was difficult for me, unabashedly a tremendous fan, to disagree.

But James as a role model is a tremendous success. Married to his high school sweetheart, father of three, caring son… Many disapprove of career decisions or the influence he wields; he isn’t perfect. And perfect a role model need not be.

As my classmate Sarah Kirkpatrick addressed, a lack of felony behavior is a pretty low standard. My own definition of a good role model extends well beyond avoiding criminal charges, but it doesn’t demand flawlessness. It doesn’t demand conformity. It doesn’t demand changing or diminishing personality. Athletes are human, after all.

And while I am sympathetic to the fact that, as high-profile individuals, every less-desirable thing they do is sensationalized and scrutinized, I refuse to “contextualize away” (to borrow a term from Berry) any poor decision-making. It simply isn’t OK that Johnny Manziel has irresponsibly squandered his NFL opportunity. Parents wouldn’t tolerate that kind of behavior from their college-age kid, and Browns fans shouldn’t tolerate it from the young man they counted on to improve their team.
Because at the end of the day, the only reason athletes earn rich salaries and are afforded the ability to play the game they love for a luxurious lifestyle is because of fans.

Every single individual who purchases a jersey or a pair of sneakers or shows up with season tickets has a vested interest in the players, and consequently, the players themselves must recognize that they are, responsible to those fans – as people and players.

Just examine the results Dr. Kim relayed. Americans absorbed more views of the players they love simply standing around conversing during Super Bowl 2014 than anything else. The domestic audience is already used to seeing athletes as more than just sports talent. Why is it then a surprise that they should expect something from them beyond that?

Berry, however, as previously discussed, firmly holds the opposite view. He expressed not just reluctance but staunch disagreement with “placing athletes on a pedestal.” He said he didn’t want his son to idolize athletes. He told me later that his own mother didn’t allow him to do so either, barring him from wearing any jerseys.

Suddenly, I had wandered firmly into race territory.

It occurred to me that, as Kirkpatrick wrote, many commonly considered ideal athlete role models are white. My own lead-in to the conversation was the blonde-and-blue-eyed, Wisconsin-born J.J. Watt. But Berry’s opposition to player admiration goes beyond the narrow standards.

In our discussion, he explained how his mother attempted to turn his attention to people of different occupations – lawyers, doctors… in short, as Berry attested, the kind of careers that young, black men in his community didn’t dream of becoming. They all, however, dreamed of being pro players.

It’s a revelation I am unsure of what to do with. Clearly,
Berry’s refusal to accept athletes as role models stems from the fact that the practice has become racially significant. It’s no secret that many diverse, underprivileged youth (from the streets of Chicago or the Domincan Republic) have utilized sports to elevate their socioeconomic status, creating a better life for themselves and their families. It seems to me that Berry wishes to steer his son away from those stereotypical aspirations.

Obviously, this unfair racial expectation has influenced his perception on the issue of player role models, but, just as obviously, his attitude is not unfounded. But it also seems to me that Berry’s rationale is a personal one. He disagrees with the idolization of pros because he doesn’t want his son to subscribe to a discriminatory idea – that his goals as a black child should include being a NBA player.

But just because Berry doesn’t want his own child taking those sort of cues from athletes doesn’t mean that other children won’t look to them, with or without their parents’ consent, not just for career aspirations, but also to decide how to act. Berry is entitled to steer his son away (and his reasons for doing so have stirred an intrigue that may very well coax me into one of those aforementioned uncomfortable conversations), but for the sake of all others, players should still be held to certain standards. Although many would like to believe that firm parenting will counteract any negative influences, that simply isn’t how psychology and media interact. Kids and adolescents of all ages and races are absorbing how their favorite players behave. As fans contributing to each athlete’s popularity, they’re owed some level of respect – a good example.

And seeing as how being a good role model is simply being a good, responsible human being, is holding that expectation really, therefore, so much to ask?

Ashley Boitz posted on March 14, 2016 at 9:42 am

“People need to talk about it,” said Zuri Berry, “That’s their problem they are scared to talk about it.”

Zuri Berry answered a question about race. His point of view was that people do not talk about it enough, therefore it becomes sort of grey area. While he was saying this in my mind all I could think about was SuperBowl 50 halftime show.

During one on of the most televised sporting events Beyoncé used her half-time performance to talk about the racial issues that still exist in America today. She talked about it.

However, she also stirred the pot in the media, blogs, and columns. This was exactly Zuri’s point, and I whole-heartedly agree. People do not know how to act or react when someone finally talks about race.

Beyoncé was called “racist” and critiqued by many. What people failed to point out was that is wasn’t a racist message towards white people or African American people. People of all color watch and also play in the SuperBowl.

Sports bring people together, they put skin color aside, and put people in uncomfortable circumstances to work together to achieve something greater than them.

Dr. Kyoung-yim Kim spoke about women in sports and her sister’s experience as an Asian professional golfer.

I felt that the struggles that her sister went through trying to become a professional golfer in Asian were not much different than what female soccer players go through in South American.

Due to my mother being Ecuadorian I was able to play for the Ecuadorian national women’s soccer team when I was seventeen years old. I spent one month training with the national team before heading to Brazil with them.

When Dr. Kyoung-yim Kim spoke about how her parents gave her sister the cold should for wanted to play sports I thought of my experience with the national team. Many of the girls I played with also had parents that disapproved of girls playing sports or thought that it took away their femininity. When we would scrimmage against they boys’ teams they would have no problem called us boys or spitting on us. Culturally, girls are and still are not really allowed to play sports.

Even though the U.S. has a long way to go with women’s sports they are still much more advanced than other countries based on my experience and what Dr. Kyoung-yim Kim had told the class.

Anna Padilla posted on March 14, 2016 at 10:13 am

The recent panel regarding any sort of minority identifier, but particularly sexism and racism, in sports hit particularly home for me as a female who has been in sports all her life. And at the same time it was made even more acute by the widely-covered current events involving Erin Andrews.

As a female athlete for almost my entire life I must admit I have rarely encountered moments where I felt that my sex and my involvement in sports ever clashed or caused incident. In most of my experience if you played a sport, whether female or male, you were an athlete and that was it. I know that this may not be the experience for everyone and I can see how being part of a more male dominate sport such as hockey or football would drastically have changed my experience.

Still the way I see any athlete is as a competitor and a player. Man or woman never was a distinction I made. Did I swim only against girls? And play soccer on a woman’s team? Yes. My mother made me play on a boy’s team until I could play competitively to “toughen me up” so I suppose that is a social construct there but most likely a conversation for another time.

But now I am now longer an athlete, however much I would like to hold on to those glory days. Now, I am a fan and female trying to make a profession in the world of sports. And now, my perception as a female in the sports business has already been littered with demeaning and sexist incidents for the short time I have been apart of it. Even something as little as a fellow classmate in a different class making a comment to my friends and I about how we do not know anything about sports because we are woman, changes my few quickly.

The recent suit filed and won by Erin Andrews is an example under a huge microscope and at the utmost professional level. I cannot pretend to completely relate to her experiences but it is not hard to take her trials with sexism in the sports world and water it down to a smaller degree and make it relevant in my life. In the recent New York Time’s piece, The Dangers of Being a Female Sportscaster, it is demonstrated how it may not be possible to escape the sexism in any way if you are female in the sports industry.

Dr.Kyoung-yim Kim’s opinion on how we can change this fact was rather dismal. In her studies, she has found that the sports culture against women is an excellent way to exemplify the problems. But that it is just a mirror for our general culture. And our general culture will have to completely change (commercialism, sexism, etc.) in order for the sexist nature of the sports industry to even have a chance. I think that this was an important notion. But I would hope that female athletes like myself who have had a positive experience in sports can try and change this systematic problem, even if it would be a small drop in a giant ocean.

“After the jury’s decision, Ms. Andrews was thankful for the encouragement she said she had received from other victims of harassment, and she suggested the case’s outcome would improve safety.

“I’ve been honored by all the support from victims around the world,” she said on Twitter. “Their outreach has helped me be able to stand up and hold accountable those whose job it is to protect everyone’s safety, security and privacy.””

Let us hope that Erin Andrews sad experience and the others mentioned in this piece will also help spark change.

julie aiello posted on March 14, 2016 at 10:14 am

Listening to Zuri Berry and Dr. Kyoung-yim Kim’s perspective on the issues of race and gender within the sports journalism world, I was both informed and left wondering. I value the expert opinions each offered, but wondered how some of the things they discussed could persist in today’s society and what remedies there are for some of those issues.

Dr. Kim brought up the issue of Maria Sharapova’s salary (including endorsements) surpassing Serena Williams’ salary. A Forbes article (http://www.forbes.com/sites/daniellerossingh/2016/01/24/australian-open-serena-williams-vs-maria-sharapova-their-rivalry-by-the-numbers/#68624e396b89) notes the two athletes’ head-to-head match up record as a lopsided 17-2 in Williams’ favor and Williams’ 247 weeks as the number 1 ranked player in the world compared to Sharapova’s 21 weeks. Despite the numbers, their endorsement money doesn’t seem to reflect them. Williams made $13 million in endorsements from June 2014- June 2015, while Sharapova took home $23 million during that time. Sure, we’re talking about two of the highest paid female athletes here and both are making millions of dollars, but how would this be justified in male dominated sports? Do physical appearance, attractiveness, and audience preference determine which male athlete makes the most money in endorsements despite their world ranking? If they don’t, then why should it affect female athletes in such a way? In regard to this, Dr. Kim said there is no remedy for female athletes having to look good and I wonder if this will ever be a non-factor for women. I appreciate her honesty but I was still left searching for some sort of solution to this.

Zuri Berry spoke to the idea there needs to be a concerted effort “to recruit” minorities and people of color in education and in the workforce, and that effort “starts with the people that have the hiring power”. I agree with Berry’s perspective, and wanted to know how to enact this change. I wanted to hear some solutions to this ongoing problem.

When I left the seminar, I mulled over the issues discussed and why it was so frustrating to hear about them. My own desire to have solutions to these nuanced problems seemed to have taken over as a priority in my mind.

From the seminar, I realized that Berry and Dr. Kim’s discussion wasn’t meant to provide solutions, it was meant to bring the issues to the table and make us aware they exist. There aren’t any quick, easy solutions because, if there were, we wouldn’t be discussing these issues in the first place. If, in the future, we do get in positions of power where we are able to create change in the recruiting and hiring of minorities or the offering of endorsements to certain athletes, we will be more aware of the complexity of the issues in our respective fields and can use that knowledge to influence change. I wished I knew what the clear path towards equality across all areas of the sports world looks like. But having these types of conversations with different groups of people, and getting to a point where everyone understands that fixing these issues is imperative, we can start to chip away at these problems and slowly introduce some idea of equality.

Justin Akiva posted on March 14, 2016 at 10:59 am

Unfortunately, I was not able to make this seminar but to me it seems like it could have been a great debate. The issue of if an athlete should be a role model or not, seemed to be one of the main topics. And the fact that our speakers said that they shouldn’t be, is shocking to me. In fourteen games, one of the greatest basketball players to ever touch the court will play his last NBA game ever. This man is Kobe Bryant. I bring him up because he is the reason that half the world plays basketball today. As Kobe plays his final games of his career, every press conference continues to consist of the words “I looked up to him,” from players of the opposing team. The day after Kobe announced his retirement the whole league ran to hear what Lebron James had to say. “I mean, in high school I wore a nappy-ass Afro because of Kobe Bryant,” James said. “Because he wore it. I wanted to be just like him, man.” Kobe was the role model for Lebron and so many others. Many people say Lebron has already surpassed Kobe but Kobe was part of the reason for Lebron as Michael Jordan was part of the reason for Kobe (definitely a much bigger part, I mean look at the similarity in their moves). They were each others role models.

If you look at the amount of people that continue to look up to these three it is truly amazing. Jordan had a movie called “Like Mike,” because everyone wanted to be just like him. And I can’t even count the amount of times I had yelled “Kobe” when I was shooting around on the court’s growing up. Today everyone probably yells “Curry” but that’s it’s exactly what this is about. This is a trend that has continued from generation to generation and will continue to do so. I mean look what Steph Curry has been able to do to the whole game alone. This past weekend I went to the MIT Sloan Conference and one of the panels was all about “The Curry Landscape.” The speaker described the effect Curry has made on the game and how it has become a three point shooting game because of him. Shane Battier, a retired NBA Champion, talked about how his seven year old son is pulling up three feet behind the line already. These athletes have become role models in so many people’s eyes and I can’t see how you wouldn’t want them to be role models. They do such a great job of inspiring and helping people fulfill their dream and it does not always only have to do with the game itself.

Like Kobe, Allen Iverson was another great that played the game; however, he was a role model to players in a different way. Everyone wanted to learn his pick and roll game and have his killer crossover but there was more to it than that. Iverson’s cornrows, tattooed body, and shooting sleeves were things that the league had never seen before. Now go ahead and take a look at the league today, it’s everywhere. If Allen Iverson had the tattoos and the cornrows, others were going to get them to. He was admired and a role model for so many which leads to the point that athletes need to be role models. It may be frowned upon to have that kind of style but it brings something new to the game and shows what kind of impact these athletes can have. They inspire others to try out new things and they bring a new style of play to the game.

I guess what I am getting at is that athletes should be responsible for being role models because this is the way they became who they are. They had their own role models that they wanted to be just like so shouldn’t they do the same thing for others that look up to them? They looked up to others who gave them the aspirations to play like Mike or dress like Iverson. Most athletes had someone they looked up to in order to reach their success so they should have the responsibility to be that someone for someone else. They need to pay it forward.

However, like Zuri mentioned, there are athletes like Aaron Hernandez, an example of an athlete that isn’t responsible for being a role model because he committed murder. I believe that Zuri has a point here but if you take away the whole murder case then people start to see him as a role model again. In this world not everything is perfect and people make mistakes so of course you are going to have some Aaron Hernandez’s. That doesn’t take away the fact he should have the responsibility to be a role model and some will argue that he was a good one before this news came about. In my mind athletes should have a responsibility to be role models because without them there would not be a future. The future athletes would not know what to strive for and their would be no “I wanna be like Mike,” and isn’t being a role model half the reason to play the game? There are so many athletes talk about how they want to change the image of their race or gender but how can they do that without being role models for the future?

The next point I want to discuss is “my life is mine.” Reading through the comments it seems that many others believe that professional athletes’ lives aren’t really theirs. I completely understand where everyone is going with this but I think there’s more to it than my classmates think. There’s always going to be things that athletes need to say but it is still their choice on whether they want to say it or not. Most athletes will always credit their teammates before themselves but why is it automatically assumed that they are saying it because they are forced to? I know it sounds unimaginable but maybe the athlete is doing it because they actually do believe they couldn’t have done it without their teammates. There are definitely things that they need to say and times where they shouldn’t be bragging about what they just did but it doesn’t mean it’s always forced on them. I know Lebron James is an exception because he is the coach, general manager, and captain of the team but look at what he is tweeting out right now. “It’s this simple. U can’t accomplished the dream if everyone isn’t dreaming the same thing everyday. Nightmare follows,” read one of James’ last tweets. Obviously this was about the Cavaliers and I could only imagine how angry “the real gm,” David Griffin was about this. Lebron says what he wants and no one will got on him because he is Lebron but that is not the point. The point is that athletes can say what they want if they choose to. We have talked about the Marshawn Lynch speech over and over again in this class. “I am here so I won’t get fined.” Lynch is also a big name to live up to but it shows that these athletes can own their own lives if they want too.

I know it is hard to believe but we do not know what every athlete does every minute of the day even with all the media coverage today. I think one thing people like to assume is that if it’s not in the media then the athlete is not doing it but they shouldn’t think like that. At the MIT Sloan Conference this past weekend, Brian Scalabrine, 2008 NBA Champion, talked about how players were always going out to the club if they weren’t hopping on a plane right away for the next game. My point is that players do have their own choices to make and just because we don’t hear about the things they’re doing it doesn’t mean their not doing them. Obviously, there will always be things athletes have to do and say but I don’t think we should assume that the athlete has almost no control of their own lives. They have more freedom than some people think.

Gabbie Chartier posted on March 14, 2016 at 11:39 am

Should athletes be role models and are athletes viewed as role models is an important distinction to make.

In our recent panel with Zuri Berry and Dr. Kyoung-yim Kim, both believed the idea of framing athletes as role models was, in some sense, wrong. Upon being asked the question, Kim questioned if they have a responsibility in the first place while Berry said it was an “illusion,” and that he would not want his son looking up to athletes as role models.

Both guests were in agreement that athletes should not be role models. But are they still deemed as such anyways? I believe the answer is yes for both.

When you hear stories like that of Aaron Hernandez, it seems like athletes should not be held at a high standard morally. Unfortunately in sports, these stories of athletes breaking the law are almost a daily occurrence. For instance, I just searched the word “violence” on ESPN.com and an article titled “Clips’ Dawson arrested for domestic violence” is the first hit. This story was published 19 hours ago, and there are far more of its kind. However, as Sarah pointed out, there is a difference between being a bad role model and a straight up criminal. We cannot base our formation of whether or not to consider someone a role model on if they’ve stayed out of jail or not. But we should not relinquish athletes of their social responsibilities altogether because there are some extreme criminal cases.

In a Forbes article titled, “Why Do We Make Athletes Role Models?” author Leigh Steinerg wrote that upon interviewing former NBA superstar Charles Barkley about this topic, Barkley’s answer was a staunch no. He said athletes have one duty- to perform well on the court [or their respective arena] and that is it. He also said he thinks parents should be role models for their children more so than anyone else.

I think Mr. Barkley’s response is an extremely low standard to hold athletes accountable for and is impossible. As Kim said in the seminar, during the Superbowl, shots of the athletes just standing around got the most air time… more so than the actual game. We live in a world with a 24-hour sports news cycle that elevates these players to celebrity status. Impressionable kids watching sports will most likely buy into this, whether their parents are good role models are not, and begin to view these athletes as larger than life figures. Whether or not these athletes should have a social responsibility doesn’t matter because the fact is, they do. Additionally, kids who grow up in families absent of parents or individuals capable of giving them guidance are likely to look elsewhere for this guidance, and sports seem like a likely place they’d turn to. These kids will look up to athletes regardless if they should.

Additionally, athletes should assume social responsibility based on the fact that they get paid incredible amounts of money and live lavishly for playing the sport that they love. As Vanessa pointed out, this money would not be possible without the fans, and in turn, the players have a responsibility to the fans. Steinberg says in his article, “A professional player who doesn’t want to sign autographs, graciously grant press interviews, or comport themselves publicly within acceptable norms of behavior has an alternative–he can play on a sandlot. No one will criticize, judge or have any expectations. They also will not be paid huge sums for playing or endorsements or have any of the fame or exalted lifestyle that ensues.”

Additionally, as Berry stated in the seminar, sports are a great equalizer. The close knit nature is allows people to break down barriers. “The pace of equity is different,” said Berry. In sports, no one cares if you’re Cuban or Japanese or Texan, you can either hit fastball or you can’t. WIth so many ethnicities and backgrounds involved in major league sports, it gives the public and children an array of role models to look up to. Also, we live in a country with so much racial tension and Berry said that he thinks race is hard to talk about. If sports are the great equalizer, our society can take a cue from these athletes of different backgrounds that work together on a team. However, if these athletes aren’t respectable people outside of their sport as well, we shouldn’t be taking any cues from them at all.

Many athletes are elevated to celebrity status in their respective cities and some even globally. Whether they like it or not, it’s just how the media lends itself to report on sports these days. With so much influence and prominence, why wouldn’t these athletes try to set a good example? The country is in need of good role models and athletes are given all the tools to be one. Granted, we are all human and make mistakes, but these athletes will be looked up to regardless of whether we think they have the responsibility to or not.

Taylor DiChello posted on March 14, 2016 at 11:40 am

I wanted to be Nastia Liukin when I grew up. I wanted to be an elite gymnast. I wanted to go to the Olympics. I even wanted my parents to pretend they were retired Olympic gymnasts too, just like her parents!

That was until I met her.

Nastia, or as my coach used to call her “Nasty-a”, was a role model to me growing up. She had all of the athletic talent a young gymnast would dream of having. She got to travel all over the world doing the one thing she loved to do and she looked like she enjoyed every second of it.

But, I met Nastia when I was a sophomore in high school, long after my dreams of becoming an Olympic gymnast were over and realized that she wasn’t a good role model at all. She was rude to her fans and she pushed aside little girls that admired her in the way that I admired Carly Patterson in 2004. She was arrogant and she didn’t appreciate the young people who looked up to her.

From that day forward at the Visa Championships in 2010, I was no longer a fan of Nastias.

These thoughts came back into my mind as we sat in the room with Dr. Kyoung-yim Kim and Zuri Berry and talked about the possibility that maybe athletes aren’t supposed to be role models, but just people who are really good at sports, just like a person on an academic scholarship at a school is a person who is just really good at academics, as Dr. Kim pointed out.

She also says that it is “unfair” for athletes to perform socially expected behaviors just because they are highlighted in the world of sports. But, that makes me think of all of my training here at BU, where at the beginning of each year athletes sign contracts with the university saying we won’t do certain things non-athletes may be able to do and that we will hold ourselves to higher expectations as leaders and role models in our community.

Does this actually not make sense in a collegiate world where some of us are just playing a sport so that we can afford college? Instead of using our academic skill to get a scholarship, like others, we use our athletic skills to pay for school.

It put the world of being a role model into a new perspective for me. Am I able to still admire Nastia for her amazing feats in gymnastics even though I don’t necessarily agree with some of her personality traits and the way she portrays herself in public?

Or, is it time to recognize that people are just people. All people make mistakes and a common theme in our seminars have been talking about making mistakes and how much more common it is in journalism to make a mistake.

Are athletes and journalists like Jess Moran supposed to hold themselves to higher standards just because of the job title they hold?

I’m still on the fence about what side of this debate I’m on. I’ve always liked to think of sports stars as a person I’d like to be when I grew up and I worked hard and made certain choices in my life to be more like those athletes. Does that not make them a role model?

But now, supposedly sitting in the role model position as a student athlete here at BU, it does seem a little unfair that I would have to act “better” than another person receiving the same money I am from BU just because I play a sport instead of use academics to get by.

When Dr. Kim’s sister ran away from home, she left a note that said “my life is mine”.

I’m beginning to think that she ran away from one patriarchal father and ran into a whole society and corporation where every move she made was watched and critiqued, just because she was one heck of a golfer.

Stephanie Tran posted on March 14, 2016 at 11:58 am

The topic of race and gender has been an ongoing discussion in not just the sports industry, but in many others as well. Just this year there has been controversy over the diversity of nominated actors and actresses at the Oscars. You see ongoing boycotts and protests about race and ethnic groups. As a student it feels like a tumultuous time in our society. Are we just too overly sensitive about this topic or is it a real ongoing issue? I think it’s a little bit of both, but I also think it’s important to understand the social and economic factors that may just explain the low amounts of diversity in an industry like sports journalism.

When our guest, Dr. Kyoung-yim Kim, a sociology professor at Boston College, shared her story about how she got into researching about women’s golf it was something I could relate to. The support of her parents was not there when her sister wanted to pursue her dream of becoming a professional golfer. My parents were the same way when it came to me pursuing my dream of becoming a broadcast journalist. Time and time again they told me that paying my tuition was not worth it compared to my sister’s tuition who studies pharmacology at Northeastern.

I think it’s simple to say pursue your dreams and be happy, but not everyone gets that luxury. For many cultures it’s all about the income and stability a career gives you. From my standpoint I’m lucky that I was the youngest in my family and had more freedom to choose what I wanted to do, my sister not so much.

What motivated me to continue this path to become a broadcast journalist was the fact that growing up I never really saw much diversity on television. In some ways I want to help change that culture and show young watchers that journalism is a career path that anyone who has the passion for it can pursue.

With that said however, the industry doesn’t work that way. When asked why there’s a lack of diversity in sports journalists, Zuri Berry, deputy managing editor of the Boston Herald, said the biggest reason is an economic one. It’s an individual’s choosing on what career path they want to choose, but if it’s a career path that doesn’t bring in much income right away, people don’t tend to stick it out. It’s going to take a while to change that ideology.

Dr. Kyoung-yim Kim said she thinks it’s more of the structural issues and the division of labor. Sports journalism is a male dominated workplace and assignments are delegated accordingly to those who can do it and do it right. There have also been some restrictions on who can and who can’t go into the players’ locker room for post-game. It’s an environment that can be tough to thrive in if you don’t have the professionalism, skills, and drive to stick it out.

I agree with you about Moran in this case. There’s absolutely no way she could have done her job after being ousted of having an affair with John Farrell. That professionalism boundary had been crossed and there was no turning back. Situations like this make me angry because it feeds into the stereotype of women sideline reporters. Granted, not all sideline reporters cross this line, but the last few sideline reporters for the Boston Red Sox have. There was Heidi Watney, Jenny Dell, and the list goes on. Not only does it send a bad message to the team, but what about those young girls aspiring to be a reporter one day? Going into the business there will always be this lingering perception of women reporters. This is what young reporters have to overcome way before anyone actually notices their skills as a reporter.

Keep love and work separate. Yes, that may be easier said than done.

Jake De Vries posted on March 14, 2016 at 12:00 pm

Our seminar with Kyoung-Yim Kim and Zuri reminded us that there are still mountains for us to overcome as a society when it comes to race and gender, even in sports. When we look through the scope of athletics, it’s easy for us to believe that we’ve completely broken the barriers of race and gender. Some of our most beloved pro athletes are black, and we have laws like Title IX that allow women similar opportunities to earn scholarships and play the sport they love at the college level. I think, though, both our guests showed us why we still aren’t all equal, even in the world of athletics.

Berry spoke a lot about race, and concluded the night by saying that it’s important that we all be courageous in having conversations about race, because dialogue is one of the most important starters in conquering issues about race.

I took a class freshman year called the Sociology of Race and Ethnicity, which is no doubt the most powerful and eye-opening class I will ever take. I was just a little freshman that didn’t know a whole lot about the world around me, and, opposite to our seminar, I was the only white male in the class, a class of about 40 people. Our grade in the class was participation-based, so I had no choice but to be courageous, and voice my opinions, ideas, and misconceptions and race. I took this class two years ago, and to be honest, I had forgotten how important it is to talk about a topic as pervasive as race, especially when many of us don’t believe that racism exists anymore.

Berry gave us a great real-life example of how it does, especially in sports. If LeBron were to get a DUI, America would throw stones at him and call for his face to be taken off every billboard and for all of his endorsers to drop him. However, if Rob Lowe, a white comedian who is a fairly household name, got a DUI, we would all shrug and say, “Haha that’s just Rob being Rob.” And as Natalie pointed out, Maria Sharapova announced her failed drug test this week. Worldwide, she is one of the most polarizing and successful female athletes, but the media has given this news seemingly no attention. Many of Sharapova’s sponsors have announced they are dropping her, but there is seemingly no public outcry for parents and others that believe Sharapova has let down all the kids that look up to her.

As Kim explained to us, becoming a successful female athlete is no easy task. Gaining sponsorships as a Korean golfer just to compete at the highest level is impossible if the woman is not extremely conscious about how she presents herself in public. And by conscious, Kim means that the golfer needs to make sure she looks her best at all times, even when competing.

Similar to what Kim touched on, there are so few opportunities for women to pursue their dream of playing professional sports compared to men. Many women that want to pursue professional careers have to forgo college, and thus, whether or not their pro career is successful, they are often left without a degree once their career is over. Kim is working on a study now, in which she has found that most retired Korean female golfers have found success in broadcasting. I told her that in America, it seems that their most viable option is coaching, though I obviously don’t have the facts to back that up. Nevertheless, these are not going to be viable career options for all retired female athletes.

Institutional changes in regards to race and gender need to happen to give minorities the opportunities to succeed in the athletic world and beyond. We have come a long way in regards to this, but we still have a long way to go. And as Berry said, it takes courage to have conversations about race. And we need to continue to have them.

Rachel Blauner posted on March 14, 2016 at 12:13 pm

In our last seminar, I couldn’t stop asking myself the question- do other people think athletes shouldn’t be role models?

The conversation jumped from topic to topic; women athlete’s appearance, the racial and gender situations in journalism, but I could only focus on one point. Athletes are role models and always have been in my mind. I grew up idolizing players like Mia Hamm, and would do anything to be exactly like her. She was the definition of a class act.

But, Zuri Berry and Dr. Kyoung-yim Kim both said that athletes shouldn’t necessarily be role models, which sparked a small fire in my belly. I had never thought that athletes shouldn’t be role models.

It may be because my entire life my parents taught me that I am representing the teams that I play for and my family with every decision I make. Maybe it’s because in my last four years on the women’s soccer team here at Boston University, our coach has told us time and time again that our actions outside of soccer represent something bigger than us. Or, maybe, the most important of all, it’s because of the little girl’s faces who come to our games waiting for autographs, with smiles from ear to ear.

For me, the kids who look up to athletes are the reason we are expected and inclined to be role models. By nature, this makes me bias on the topic.

But, when I hear of athletes, not just professional, but collegiate athletes, who make poor decisions and are caught- this may be harsh- but I do not feel sympathy for them.

Like Vanessa said, athletes’ college careers or professional incomes would not be possible without the fans, so athletes owe it to the fans to behave and hold their lifestyle to a higher standard of responsibility.

But, it’s not just the fans they owe it to, it’s the organization they are playing for, too.

I feel so strongly on this issue because I have friends of mine that haven’t held themselves to the levels that a role model should, and it has been detrimental to the team environment. I have had friends who have made the wrong decisions regarding social media, and it has taken away from their talents as an athlete and the success of their teams.

I always think of Johnny Manziel or Aaron Hernandez in these situations: unbelievable talent, bad decision making.

Gabby made a great point that athletes will be looked up to and will be expected to be role models, whether the athlete accepts the responsibility or not.

My coaches have always told me “Don’t do anything your mother wouldn’t approve of.” Obviously, this is a little grey, but it’s a good way for athletes to look at their decisions.
I believe that being able to play a sport that you love, at a high level, is a privilege, it’s not just something you earned. It grinds my gears when I see athletes abuse that privilege.

There are thousands and thousands of athletes around the world who would do anything to be paid to play their favorite sport. This privilege professional athletes get can be taken away at any time, so why even put themselves in a position to lose it. They’ve have worked their entire lives to earn a spot on a professional team, so why throw it away for something as minuscule as a bad night out.

I understand we are all humans and people make mistakes, but it’s how you handle yourself that truly shows who you are as a person. If athletes don’t want the responsibility of being a role model, then maybe collegiate or professional sports isn’t the road for them.

Athletes are held to a higher standard, not just on the field, but in their social life, and that’s never going to change. If anything, that will only grow with time because of social media and the evolution of sports journalism. It may seem harsh or unfair, but it’s what you sign up for.

Grammy always said, don’t bite the hand that feeds you.

Make good decisions, if you make a mistake, handle it with grace, because you never want to get to the point where that little girl with the smile from ear to ear, starts to make the same mistakes that you did.

Haley K. King posted on March 14, 2016 at 7:44 pm

Before spring break we had Zuri Berry and Dr. Kyoung-yim Kim in class to pick their brains on Race and Gender in relation to the sports journalism field. After Kim explained a little bit of her sister’s backstory and briefly expressed her distaste for the sexualization of female athletes in the media, the conversation quickly curtailed away from the adverse topic and headed toward the role model debate in relation to professional athletes, which raised raised some strong opinions on both sides of the spectrum.

Especially at the professional level, I don’t see how we couldn’t expect athletes to assume the role of positive role models in their respective communities. Historically, sports have been used as outlets for kids that grow up in bad communities, and have had difficult family lives, and they indirectly find an idol in their favorite sport that helps them power through the difficult times in their lives and inspires them to be more, and do more with their lives.

Conversely, when professional athletes act out in negative ways, kids—being as impressionable as they are—become effected by those acts as well. Part of being an athlete is behaving like an outstanding member of the community—this notion has been ingrained in our society by enacting GPA minimums in high school and college sports, and additionally suspending players from play when they act out in school, or fall below the GPA requirement.

My stance remains that athletes should be expected to serve as positive role models as soon as they enter the lime light. That being said, I also think that the seminar shifted too quickly from talks about race, gender and biases that exists in the field, and toward the idea of athletes as role models—where we should have been talking race the whole time.

According to the American Society of News Editors (ASNE), newsrooms in this country haven’t seen much of a spike in percentages of their staff that are comprised of minority journalists—totaling 12.76% in 2014. The same study found that 63% of newsrooms had a woman among their top three editors—which is promising—but only 12% reported that one of their top three editors was a person of color. Obviously this is a problem, and a problem that is reflected in our very own community as pointed out during our seminar. Not one student in the class belongs to a minority group. Not one.

The big question is, obviously, how can we help change the race breakdown in the newsroom?

Berry thinks we start by talking about race, for as the silence of the class suggested, hasn’t been happening all too often on BU’s campus—a presumably forward thinking community of diverse students. I guess the Howard Thurman Center’s talks only reach so far in a university totaling 32,500 students.

One of the main problems, at least in my mind, is the seemingly obliviousness that the majority of the world has towards the underrepresented population issue—I wholeheartedly believe that our last class is the first time any of us noticed that we didn’t have any minority groups represented. That, to me, is the real problem.

Race has undoubtedly always been difficult for people to talk about, making if difficult to bring forth change, which was precisely Berry’s point. People need to start talking about it and then maybe that day, we will start seeing some shifts in the white dominant field.

Stats courtesy of http://asne.org/content.asp?pl=121&sl=15&contentid=415

Dakota Randall posted on March 14, 2016 at 8:06 pm

I’m going to do my very best to write this post without sounding like some hippie-millennial thats naive to how the world really works, particularly in journalism.

I also want to preface this by saying that I have a complete understanding that my personal view of how the world should be, and how it actually works, is not necessarily congruent.

I ALSO want to say that I’m just assuming Jess Moran didn’t start dating John Farrell with bad intentions. Innocent until proven guilty. Maybe she used this relationship as a way to get special insider access, but I refuse to make that type of judgement on someone that I’ve never meant before.

First of all, I have NEVER believed in this so called “No love in the workplace” idea. What on earth does having a relationship with someone I may see every day have to do with my ability to perform my job in a professional manner? And if something like a fight the night before, or any other personal drama at home effects my ability to do my job well, then I shouldn’t have it in the first place.

Again, I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I find nothing wrong with Jess Moran and John Farrell’s relationship. Jess has probably worked her ass off her entire life to have the job that she did, and Farrell certainly did the same. So just because they were fortunate enough to find a genuine admiration for each other, their careers and professionalism should be called into question? Love is not black and white. It can’t be diagnosed or treated, and is impossible to define. Those inherent truths should not be vacated as soon as someone crosses the company line.

However, as I said before, I understand this is not the prevailing sentiment in most professional environments, including journalism. Like Jenny Dell before her, Jess knew all too well the repercussions, should she be found out. Also, as Professor Shorr wrote, it can absolutely jeopardize your ability to have a transparent, rewarding relationship with the athletes on the team you cover.

It’s just a reality that i reluctantly succumb to.

I’m going continue this vitriolic ranting into this discussion about if athletes should be / are role models.

I disagree with Emily on her point about athletes not having a life of their own.

Sure, their social media posts bay come back to bite them. They may have to put on a certain persona to maintain the public image of the company. They may have to set a good example for those around them, both in and outside of the work place. Any run ins with the law may result in them losing their job.

How is any of that any different from any other legitimate position one may acquire in life? If anything, their position as an athlete may give them more leeway when they post a ridiculous tweet, or get caught with a DWI.

I also don’t think it’s fair that athletes be considered role models for younger generations. Again, this is where my personal belief and the real world diverge.

Athletes ABSOLUTELY are role models, and they just have to accept that, and may have to adjust their behavior accordingly. Just think that parents and close family are the true role models.

Sure, a young athlete may go out and dance in the end zone, or spike the ball because they saw Gronk do it. But when they get into trouble with the law, that’s something that is rooted in life at home, and the individuals someone chooses to surround themselves with.

I also disagree with Sarah K about this double standard for role models, particularly as it pertains to race. Is Steph Curry not seen as a role model. Was Paul Pierce not a role model when he was playing in Boston? Was Vince Wilfork not universally respected?

Cam Newton, fair or not, isn’t viewed as an anti-role model because of the color of his skin. It’s more about old-guard, crusty world views that players shouldn’t be showboating, or showing any exaggerated braggadocios behavior.

I think the double-stander comes more with winning. Gronk gets away with his behavior because he’s consistently dominated on the field for a longer period of time. With Cam’s greater success this year, I think we saw a huge increase in acceptance for Cam’s behavior.

Again, I don’t think any of this should matter. I believe that my focus should exclusively on what happens on the field, and anything else is just noise.

But as I’ve said before, my personal ideologies rarely align with that of the greater population. And I, like any other young professional, must be willing to accept that and conform.

Ashley Boitz posted on March 24, 2016 at 5:53 pm

If you love what you are doing, then it will show in your work. This was the on going theme of this week.

What may have been the most comforting statement of the night was when Chris Sedenka said, “You’ll never have a flawless broadcast.”

To me this resonated deeply. Personally, I am a perfectionist and the fear of messing up or making a mistake has always held be back from doing certain things. To hear both Chris and Jeff talk about mistakes being common and inevitable was a relief.

As a kid I distinctly remember going around my house and hearing the TV and the announcer screaming, “GOOOAL.” The enthusiasm and the excitement in their voices were enough to make me stop playing my game and run to the TV to watch replays.

When looking back, it was because of the way play-by-play would announce the game that taught me about sports. Sure, watching the sport helps, but if there was no announcing the rules and the history of sports would have been left out.

Chris and Jeff described their job as “telling a story with their voice.” Personally, I find it easier to convey my words through writing. But play-by-play people, tell a story in a matter of seconds with out even really fully processing what came out of their mouth before the next play is under way. It is second nature. To me that speaks for itself, they really are professionals at their craft.

Growing up or watching sports it is easy to take them play-by-play for granted. However, could you imagine watching a professional sport on TV and not have a voice narrating what was happening? Play-by-play brings the game to life, and makes it more relatable.

The main point of this seminar was, you have to love what you do. Play-by-play would be extremely challenging if you did not love it. I think in whatever you do, you have to enjoy what you are doing. One can’t fake passion or love of the game, you either have it or you don’t.