You Can Champion….

Let’s face it, sometimes you just get lucky…I’m not talking Lottery lucky or race track lucky…I’m talking about something happening that changes your life, changes your outlook…And for the better…

The Boston University Sports Journalism Seminar Series has been running for more than a dozen years now and the format is pretty much the same as it was when it started…Pick a topic and invite a couple of people in to discuss…Well, Mother Nature decided to play a little trick on us (snow the day after 70 degree temperatures) and little did i (we) know it would be to our benefit…One of our guests cancelled late in the process and we were “stuck” with just one(guest)… I’ve always found that having two guests stimulates the conversation, brings different viewpoints to the discussion …Truth be told, I script my questions to sometimes go back and forth but just as often open a new discussion point, weaving my way through the night…Faced with just one guest, I was worried that the night would drag…Wow, was I wrong!

Dan Lebowitz of the Center for the Study of Sport in Society over at Northeastern University had my students (and me) in the palm of his hand from the instant he walked in the room!…I’d never met Dan and had no idea what to expect…His first act was to announce he likes to stand while he talks (which he did throughout the next two and a half hours) and followed that by asking each and every student to tell him their name and a little about themselves…That’s only happened one other time since I started this Series and I can’t even remember how long ago it was…The students were immediately engaged…

The night’s discussion was slated to be about Sports and Society but it really didn’t matter what the topic was…By the end of the night we would have walked on fire for Dan…His personal story is riveting…His command of the topic, outstanding…

I’m energized (as you might be able to tell)…”Hand them something better” Dan told us…”Remember the Golden Rule” (do unto others as you would have them do unto you),,,and most poignantly, it says here, “You have to, at some point, stand up”…simple sayings that in these helter skelter days, sometimes forget…

Dan made us remember…

It’s not often that i feel humbled before a guest but I can honestly say this was one of those times…I don’t how I got so lucky but it’s safe to say someone is looking out for me (and my students)…

Elizabeth Pentikis posted on February 25, 2018 at 12:45 pm

https://goo.gl/ytUyFs

Alanna McDonough-Rice posted on February 27, 2018 at 2:32 pm

Some people you meet are immediately intimidating with their success. Very few people are highly successful while simultaneously incredibly humble. Dan Lebowitz was one of the most inspiring people I have met in the sports world. From helping kids in gangs to making sure his speeches reach people in the right way, he changes every life he touches for the better.

A lot of what he said reminded me of anecdotes from “Who’s Afraid of a Large Black Man?” by Charles Barkley, Michael Wilbon. Lebowitz talked about how he grew up just like an African American boy his own age and how that changed the way he looked at different races. In the book Barkley and Wilbon discuss the disparity in how many children grow up without a mother and a father in the house and how it’s only “39% of black children compared to 66% of whites and Latinos and 77% of Asians.” Like the book, Lebowitz uses experiences everyone can relate to to make changes in the lives of others. From the sheriff who demanded two forms of ID from an African American lawyer instead of one accompanied by a strip search to his conversion after realizing he grew up in the same situation as an African American inmate, Lebowitz and his associates find buttons to push in each individual that help them realize and confront their prejudices.

I think the most important take away from the entire conversation was to pass on kindness. Lebowitz took his new lease on life and used it to help others and if everyone did that- the world would be a far better place. As journalists we have the ability to empower communities by telling the stories that need to be heard. We can enhance the platform athletes have and empower them instead of telling them to “shut up and dribble.” Lebowitz sparked something in all of us and continues to spark something in all of the people he works with and that is something journalists should aspire to. We should leave the world a better place than we found it. Through our words, articles, and actions- journalists and each of us as individuals can make an impact and make a change in society.

Ashleigh Shanley posted on February 27, 2018 at 3:39 pm

I guess it is only fitting my favorite guest speaker was on the night of my favorite subject – sports and society. This topic has always interested me because I believe it is one of the most intriguing areas of sports. The way sports can impact society, influence policy, and start necessary conversations is incredible, which may have been why I did my undergraduate thesis project on activist athletes. However, our Sports Seminar last week changed my understanding of sports and society. After Dan Lebowitz of the Center of Study of Sport in Society at Northeastern University spoke to our class, I realized it is not just athletes who can be activists and mentors – but as humans and journalists, we also play a role in starting the conversation about race and gender equity.
“Use the hook of sport to create a dynamic, to find commonality – find common ground,” said Lebowitz. And the other night, as Lebowitz started talking about his program and the kids he works with, it brought to mind a significant moment in my life when I used sports to find a common ground with some kids I was very different from.
Last spring after I graduated, I decided to visit my sister who is a part of Teach for America, and works in East Nashville. Having just packed up my entire apartment and cleaned out most of my closet, I figured I would visit her sixth-grade class and load them up with some of my old Duke gear.
I showed up, planning to just say hello, drop off some shirts, and observe from the back of the classroom, but my sister had another idea. As someone who wants to change all of her students’ lives, my sister wanted a recent college graduate to talk to her kids about future opportunities. Yet, she wanted me to talk to her students through my athletic experience. And to get them hooked on the conversation, she introduced me as her younger sister Ashleigh, the Duke athlete. At first, I was very caught off guard – mostly because I wasn’t expecting to talk at all, but also because I thought these kids should be motivated to look to a future education because it’s valuable not just because of sports. However, a majority of these children are growing up with parents and grandparents who might have a high school diploma, but definitely do not have a college diploma. And so the only way these kids get to see the world of college is from another group of people they follow – athletes.
Now, my sister completed the pre-law track in college, and is quite the interviewer, so she definitely knew how to control the conversation the way she wanted. Yet, through discussing my athletic experience and my desire to swim in college, I explained I could only do it by going to class and working hard for good grades, before I was able to reap any of the benefits of being a collegiate athlete. After sharing stories about being a Duke athlete, the conversation transitioned to genuine questions about college – and some kids even wanted me to answer questions about high school.
What started off as a conversation about how I knew Duke basketball players, studied with Duke football players, and took classes with Duke lacrosse players, quickly turned to the importance of higher education beyond middle school. I was able to use sports to discuss how these young sixth graders could start planning and working hard so that one day they could try to get a higher level of education. Whether it was making a goal to be the first in their family to graduate high school, or attending a community college, a state college or a private university – it didn’t matter. But explaining how sports and education intertwine, I helped these kids – even just for a little – understand some benefits of a higher level of education that they had never heard before.
After our seminar, I thought right back to this moment and my sister’s strategy made so much more sense – sports help to bring people to a level playing field. It creates a connection among people who are so different, and allows the conversation about significant topics come more easily. An understanding of perspectives is created after people establish a common bond or interest over sports. Then from there, conversations about bigger issues in society can be discussed and people are more willing to listen to everyone’s ideas or opinions. Sports and society are continually intertwined, and it is not just athletes or coaches that need to start the conversation. Everybody can use sports to start a discussion, and with that we can work to create a collective well-being and a greater sense of equity within society.

Matthew Doherty posted on February 27, 2018 at 10:53 pm

To be honest, when I looked at the seminar list at the beginning of the semester, Thursday, February 22nd was the seminar I was looking forward to the least.

It was the only seminar in which I didn’t know the speakers nor had much interest in the topic. But I can confidently say that in 30 years, the talk Dan Lebowitz gave to our class last week is what I’ll remember the most from all of our speakers. In fact, Dan’s talk is something that will stick with me for the rest of my life.

Dan was captivating, interesting, and motivating. He stole the room from the moment he walked in. I didn’t care that we were in class for an hour longer than expected.

All of the other speakers I hear this semester will help me in my professional career. But Dan’s talk will go a lot further than that. His message was instrumental in life.

Putting others first is something I’ve struggled with in my life. I think I can be more respectful and caring for other people. I understand I have it good and easy. But just because I do, doesn’t mean others do. After hearing Dan’s talk, it challenges me to be a better person. Dan spends his entire life dedicating his time and energy for others. I know what I want to do in my career. Talking sports and working sports is great but there’s so much to the world and life outside of that. I want to make an impact on people, help children reach their dreams, and give back to the community. Of course I want to succeed in the sports media world, but Dan opened my eyes to so much more than that. I want to be known for more than just my work.

During a time of so much turmoil and hate in our world. Dan’s appearance was a blessing in disguise. It was an honor to hear from him and learn how to be a better person. I think everyone can take something from this talk. It will help us in ways of life that go so much further than our profession.

I think Dan also gave me another perspective on life. I know there are gangs and people my age that don’t make it “out” because of their situations. But it doesn’t really hit you until you hear firsthand accounts. So much in life depends on how you are raised and who you are raised by. It’s important to not take anything for granted. I’m fortunate for my situation, and when I hear about kids who grew up in violence, gangs, and drugs, it makes me feel even more lucky. It also makes you feel horrible for those kids who never got the chance I did. That makes me even more driven to succeed in life. I am so incredibly lucky to have the opportunities I do and it would be a waste to not take advantage of them.

Dan’s talk made me motivated to not only be great in my career but to have an impact on lives. I think we are all blessed that we were able to hear him speak. He touched our lives. Now it’s important for us to touch other peoples lives. And it all starts with a simple act of kindness. That will not only help us as journalists but in so many other ways.

Nicole Ericson posted on February 28, 2018 at 2:43 pm

To be honest, when I saw the topic we would be covering in seminar I was not expecting to leave with it having such an impact on me. Sports have always been my escape. When I am stressed, I workout. When I have had a bad day, I turn on a game. Whatever it is, I always turn to sports to make me feel happy, and I’m sure a lot of other people do the same thing. But now looking deeper into my past, and what was said last week, I realize how impactful sports can be when used as a common ground.

Throughout my years at BU there have been times that I have taken for granted what I have. Dan Lebowitz even said “people from Andover, Wellsley and towns like that… they have it all.” However, this struck a chord with me. Yes, in some ways we do, but my town is more divided than he might think. Lebowtiz mentioned some of his experiences with kids from under privileged towns he has worked with who use sports as an escape. This goes to show that even people from a more privileged town can relate to those who are not. Sports puts everyone on a level playing field regardless of the environment.

The environment someone grows up in is important to their future. After hearing some of the encounters Lebowitz has had, it has opened my eyes to who I can be and what an impact I can have on others. As a rising journalist that is something I want to embody. With a pen, or computer, I have the ability to influence those around me. Jeanna Trotman mentioned in her discussion that she never realized how big of a role model she was until an elementary school all wrote her thank you notes. That is why it is so important that we as journalists understand our role in society. We reach audiences from kindergarten to senior homes. The world is bigger than sports and sometimes its hard for people to see that. However, sports are a way to bring a big topic to a smaller sphere.

One of the most powerful lines Lebowitz said all night was ‘what if you had to live someone else’s life?’ I sat there for a while contemplating what this meant and even after leaving class I thought about what if I was someone else. What if I didn’t grow up in Andover or what if my parents didn’t show the love and support they do? Would I think of things differently? And the answer was yes. The biggest lesson my parents have taught me was do onto others what others do onto you and treat everyone with respect. Put yourself in someone else’s shoes. I understand that in our world today there are going to be competing views, but it is the right thing to listen to both sides of the argument. That is why as a journalist it is our job to get the story and tell it as unbiased as possible. Yes, we all have opinions and we all want to share them, but sometimes we have to look at the bigger picture.

Lebowitz will leave a lasting impact on me, and me as a journalist. I contain the ability to have an impact on others. I never thought of myself as someone who could hold this power, but in truth: we all have it. We all have the power to make a difference in this world and whether we chose to use this or not is up to us. After this seminar, I realize that I do want to make an impact on others, and in order to do this I will use sports to begin the conversation that everyone is scared to have.

Jessica Citronberg posted on February 28, 2018 at 3:34 pm

On my way home from class last Thursday, Dan’s words kept running through my head. As many other students have already commented, he was remarkably charismatic, humble, and unique. He tried to connect with each of us, which was a different experience than the other seminars thus far. As mentioned in the blog post, he asked each of us our names. It’s such a small thing, but I think it really made the difference in our connection to him.

Dan gave me a different lens to look through. He showed us a life beyond sports, but gave us a valuable lesson regarding the field of sports journalism.

Being a journalism major, I always try to get every side of the story before I begin writing.

I think especially with domestic violence, suicide, and drug problems with athletes becoming more prominent in the media, Dan’s stories were so important for me. I would’ve never thought that Aaron Hernandez’s story was as deep as Dan alluded to.

The stories of the kids at the Study of Sport in Society really changed my views on this as well. I didn’t grow up in a community with gangs or even knowledge of issues that the people that Dan was talking about.

It was kind of a reality check. I feel like I’m pretty good at getting all sides of a story, but I felt a little insecure about my ability to do that. I don’t really mind that I felt that way though, because it’s a good reminder that I don’t know everything and I haven’t experienced everything.

(I would also like to note that I didn’t think I knew everything before this seminar. Just need to clear that up.)

Dan also reminded me of passion. If I can be half as passionate about my job when I graduate as he is now, I’ll be happy.

He is also humble, which is something that I always respect. He said he wants to be in the background and let the other people he works with and his work to shine. I really respect that mantra and I hope to also live my life that way.

I emailed him after to thank him and he emailed me back in a really short time frame with kind words, which is something I can’t say about our other guests in class.

Laura Guerriero posted on February 28, 2018 at 5:13 pm

For me, this seminar was not about working in sports, it was about being a good person in today’s hostile political/social climate. What I mean by this is the importance of changing your perspective and opening up conversations that will positively impact not only interpersonal relationships but society as a whole.

Everyone has a story, and some are rougher than others. A person’s past, present or future often creates a label for him/her, and that label creates a lens that others view them through as an outsider looking in. In my Technology in Society class, we discussed the limited effects theory, which is when an individual approaches everything with his/her own set of ideas about a certain topic. If what we encounter goes against our beliefs, we discard them, and if what we encounter goes with what we believe, we accept and run with it. It is hard to gain common ground and open the floor for deeper discussion when our preconceived beliefs are so ingrained in us, but to properly understand others, we must make the effort to step past these notions. The first step is digging deeper into our own selves and discovering what we can do to work through our own beliefs. We might even find that we’re all more similar than we think.

While I previously said I believe this seminar was held to help us further understand the importance of listening to others to help change our perspectives, I also think it was meant to provide an important tip for the room full of future reporters. When interviewing coaches/athletes/etc., it’s important to try to find common ground to not only produce a good interview but to build those much-needed connections. Being able to delve deeper than the average reporter that may just be there to get a quote and leave will produce much more favorable results for yourself and, more likely, a better overall experience.

The topics Dan Lebowitz of the Center for the Study of Sport in Society brought up have always been issues in society, but with the expansion of movements such as the Me Too movement, they have become extremely pressing. As college students venturing out into the real world in just a few short months (scary), it’s important that we both understand these topics as a whole and how we can both help others understand as well as make an impact through our work.

Being a journalist is not just about telling stories, it’s about being human. For me, being a good human means understanding and learning about others’ stories and perspectives. It’s our job as future journalists to dig down into that raw emotion and tell these important stories in a way that our audiences can come to understand and potentially even relate to. After all, as one of my professors recently said, “If you don’t have any emotion, you shouldn’t be a journalist.”

Jane Rose posted on February 28, 2018 at 5:45 pm

For as long as I’ve heard about ‘motivational speakers’ I’ve been skeptical of them. How could a person get paid to make a speech that would immediately make me want to live differently? After all, most days I can barely motivate myself (but that could be a second semester senior thing).
But after last week’s class, I feel differently about the ability of others to inspire me. At multiple points during his presentation, Dan Lebowitz made me want to live differently… And the strangest part of it is that he’s not even a motivational speaker. But he really could be.

When I first heard about the charges against Aaron Hernandez, I internally characterized him as a fool; he was so talented and got so lucky just to throw it all away and kill someone. If I’m being honest, I had that same thought again last April when I saw the news of his death. But when Dan spoke about the depth of Hernandez’s story, I was able to empathize so much more. If more people like Dan were out there to teach acceptance and inclusiveness, I have no doubt that senseless tragedies just would not happen. I truly believe that Dan’s work today is preventing a future tragedy. The topic of the week was sports and society, and, boy, Dan hit the nail on the head when he talked about society today, regardless of sports. We do live in a locker room culture where acceptance is few and far between, not frequently allowing people to break out of the circles they came from. Dan did, and he gave back (also his advice to us) by helping others. People like Dan are propelling our society forward to a place where things like gender, sexuality, race and class don’t define us. Even though it sounds simple, it’s a foreign concept for many. While I give a lot of thought to the near future, like graduation and a job, I hadn’t thought too much about long-term aspirations until Dan’s talk. I don’t know exactly where I want to be with regards to sports journalism, but I do know I want to give back the way Dan has in order to change our society.

Andrew Mason posted on February 28, 2018 at 7:34 pm

I have replayed last Thursday’s seminar a dozen times in my head since leaving class. The passionate words that Northeastern’s Dan Lebowitz set upon us meant so much more to me than just the “do’s and don’ts” of sports journalism.

Simply put, Dan humbled me. As no shocker to anyone in class, I am a white male who has experienced the benefits of white privilege. I come from an upper middle class family, my parents are together, and both my sister and I are studying at premier universities. As hard as I can think back, I cannot remember a time in which I found myself unable to achieve a legitimate goal due to a racial, gender related, or financial obstacle. Needless to say, I have experienced a very alternate upbringing than Dan and his adopted kids have. This does not necessarily mean that one side is better or more deserving than the other. I should not be “held back” in life because of my fortunate childhood and current status as a student at the elite Boston University. However, it is important for those in my position to remember the challenges that others had to face in finding success and making it to where they are today. Especially when these are challenges that I have not gone through myself.

One of my favorite movies growing up, titled “The Blind Side”, encompasses all that is important with sports and its relationship to people in different communities. A well-off white mother of two, named Leigh Anne Tuohy, opened her arms to Michael Oher, a black teenager who lived a disturbing life on the streets. Tuohy is exactly the type of person that Dan suggested we strive to emulate. When you see somebody in a less fortunate situation, we can take two paths: understand that we have our differences but ultimately leave them to fail, or lend a helping hand and “do unto others as you would have them do unto you”. At the end of the day, just like the players on a sports team, each and every person is in this together. Let’s start acting like it.

In addition to Oher’s past, other minority groups face constant adversity that I, as a white male, have not endured. In “Who’s Afraid of a Large Black Man?”, Charles Barkley and Michael Wilbon outline shockingly common stereotypes that the black demographic faces. But just like Touhy, those in a more blessed position can do something that matters. We need to continue to discuss these issues, help our brothers and sisters, and try to turn things around – even it our efforts impact just one person.

Sports can truly be a way to find a common ground between opposing groups of people. We can look to the past Winter Olympic Games in PyeongChang, South Korea to prove that. North and South Korea, two countries in extravagant tension, presented players that paired up for the women’s ice hockey events. Although the mixed team failed to take home a medal, the stain it left on sports and the world in general could very well be paramount.

The more I think about it, sports acting as a unification tool makes perfect sense. Hypothetically, a Ku Klux Klan member and an African-American could both be fans of the New England Patriots. The two might rock the same Tom Brady jersey and retro beanie, swear Roger Goodell is “out to get them”, and maybe even shed a tear after the recent Super Bowl loss. Two completely different individuals, with significantly separate roles in society, bonding over a game. Even if somebody is not a “sports person”, they must respect that as something truly remarkable. At the very least, a commonality (such as an obsession with the same sport or team) can be used to initiate a discussion that could possibly result in change.

Dan is the perfect example of how the “nice guy” does not finish last. In the world of sports journalism, we get so caught up in recording the best quote or producing a better highlight reel than someone in our class, that we forget to extend a helping hand. Dan does not come across as somebody who is always working to outdo the next person in his field. Instead, he aims to be the best person he can be, even if that means helping others succeed along the way. In this wildly competitive field, that is a standard we all could remember to hold ourselves to every once in a while.

Matt Dresens posted on February 28, 2018 at 10:18 pm

While I found Dan Leibowitz talk absolutely fascinating last week, it was not at all what I was expecting. When I think of sports and society the first thing that comes to mind is Colin Kaepernick and that’s what I was going to talk about here up until I saw a documentary on NBC last Sunday about the 1968 Sumer Olympics in Mexico City.

Granted I knew a little bit about this prior to Sunday, but the documentary went into great detail.

US track Olympians Tommi Smith and John Carlos headlined a group named the Olympic Project for Human Rights (OPHR) and threatened to boycott the games unless the IOC made some significant changes. This is why the subject of sports an society matter.

The pull of OPHR’s in protesting the ’68 games was the fact that the US was set for dominance on the track and the IOC and the ’68 games would struggle as a result. The list of demands was high. They wanted South Africa and Rhodesia to be uninvited to the games because both were under minority white rulership, the hiring of more African American coaches and fro IOC president Avery Brundage to step down.

While they didn’t get Brundage to step down the threat of boycott still worked. Both South Africa and Rhodesia were uninvited and numerous black coaches were hired. That is that power of peaceful protest and leverage. Have high demands. If some do not get fulfilled, other smaller goals can be pushed through.

While the boycott was eventually called off, Tommi Smith and John Carlos did perform a bit of civil disobedience when they raised their fist in the air during the National Anthem in support of the Black Power movement in the US.

This is why sport and society matter. Athletes have the power and the stage to make things happen. This is why it is vital that athletes don’t just “shut up a dribble.” The stereotype that Laura Ingraham thinks is that all athletes are jocks and know nothing about the rest of the world. To which I ask, who are you Laura Ingraham? Who do you think you are to tell people what they talk about.

How about you just stick to your little world of defending the Republican Party on state-sponsored TV while people who actually want change for the better, like LeBron, actually do something about.

Why do sports in society matter? Because athletes are more than just jocks. They are humans who have a talent. Talent, passion, drive, and determination will get you far in life no matter what you chose to devote your life to. These athletes have created a platform where they can cause real change and to that I say bravo. Let your voice be heard because, at the end of the day, the ones who speak up are the true leaders. They have the power. You can’t just let people tell you what you are and control what you do.

As for Dan, I thought he was a tremendous guest and an incredibly inspiring story. I liked the new format of us asking the questions as the seminar goes on, I think it really helps us build a real relationship with the subject. Granted, not all the guests are going to be as electrifying a speaker as Dan, but overall I liked the format.

Shane Rhodes posted on February 28, 2018 at 11:47 pm

How have I used my privilege to help others? Since the question was posed by Dan Leibowitz, I’ve been unable to get it out of my head.

And I think that’s because I haven’t really done much of anything with the privilege I’ve been afforded. Yes, I worked hard and made it to Boston University. But what have I done since I got here? How have I made a positive impact in someone’s life?

There are plenty of opportunities that I have been afforded as a student here at BU that other, less fortunate peoples likely don’t have access to. Opportunities that could empower to make a change for or have a positive impact on someone. Yet many of those opportunities were squandered by me, and I have no one to blame for that other than myself. Life lessons, experiences and the benefits provided to me by almost any activity I could partake in or anything that I could realistically take advantage of here in Boston could all make a difference or have a real impact on someone’s life, whether they were less fortunate than I am, unable to take advantage because of a condition, or what have you. I wasted those chances, not only for myself but for others who could have mutually benefitted as well.

Realizing all of that through Dan’s words was a humbling experience to say the least.

With their platform, athletes have the power to change the world. We, as the journalists that cover those athletes, have a similar power. Through the connections we build with the players, the agents and others in the industry, it’s almost as if journalists are here to make a difference outside of reporting the news. Whether it be something as insignificant as putting a person in contact with someone you may know, or asking a contact for a favor to help someone out, journalists have the power to make a real difference to some people, even if it may not seem like it on the surface.

And that’s why this seminar was so important; it showed us that Sports and Society is about much more than just the top level. It’s about more than just the sport you cover and more than the relationship between a sports group and its fan base. It’s about being human and being a good person and doing whatever you can to help others who may need you and you are in a position to help.

Taylor Ventrice posted on February 28, 2018 at 11:47 pm

The moment Dan Lebowitz of the Center for the Study of Sport in Society walked into the room and spoke briefly about his childhood, it immediately reminded me of someone so close to me…my dad.

My dad grew up in Bronx, NY, poor, and nothing was ever handed to him. He worked extremely hard his entire life and when you ask him what was the change that made him the successful person he is today, he always thanks that one person. Just like Lebowitz.

And that made me think really hard about a question Lebowitz asked. “What if you had to live someone else’s life?” And I immediately placed myself in my father’s shoes when he was 20 years old. Imagining the world he lived in, the things he had to do to make money, get food, etc., was so unfamiliar to me. I also reflected on the life I’m so lucky that my parents can give me. What if I grew up a different way? What if I grew up in my dad’s shoes? Would I have a different perspective on the world? And the answer is yes. My dad has made life pretty simple for my brothers and me, and just like Lebowitz, he reminds us always to be humble, give back, and help others because he knows exactly what it’s like to be in those tough situations and how much one person can change a life.

Listening to Lebowitz’s experiences and comparing them to my dad’s and realizing how much of an impact both of them have on this world, I realized just how impactful I could be, especially as a sports journalist. I can influence those around me just by posting to Twitter. And I think everyone can make a difference. Especially athletes. They have the platform that other’s don’t to speak on issues in this world and make a difference, as Jayson Tatum said a few weeks ago in our seminar class. It’s extremely important for both journalists and athletes to realize the significance they have in this world.

Lebowitz has left an impression on me since the moment he walked out of that room. We all have the power to make an impact in this world, no matter where we’re from and I now know two amazing role models who have done that.