It’s All in the Delivery…

Play by play is a really subjective thing…And what’s so interesting is that if you were to ask sports fans who their favorite announcers are they’d eventually get to “and ya know who i can’t stand?”…

By and large you are inviting these people(the announcers) into your home and they understand that…But very often, you come to the game with an opinion already formed, about them and the team you’re watching or listening to…Sports talk radio (and all that “negativity”) has already shaped their thinking…”You have to be cognizant that an old school “homer” broadcast doesn’t fly anymore”,          Sean Grande of the Celtics told our audience just recently at the Boston University Sports Journalism Seminar Series, “you sound outdated, you sound like you’re not connected to what’s really happening”

It doesn’t take much to “unconnect” yourself from the audience…Monday Night Football fans will remember Howard Cosell who made a living annoying people…But one night in 1983 Cosell took his descriptions a little too far saying of Alvin Garrett of the Washington Redskins “that little monkey gets loose doesn’t he?”…Such was the outrage that the network phones lit up and Cosell took to the air later in the game to explain…Play by play announcer Brian Davis of the Oklahoma City Thunder was suspended for one game after he said Russell Westbrook was “out of his cotton pickin mind” referring to Westbrook’s performance that night compiling a triple double…It’s not easy as it sounds…

Kevin Harlan took a lot of heat earlier in this NBA season , game one in fact, for his call on Gordon Haywood’s injury…Should Harlan have speculated on the extent of the injury?…Probably not but announcers are fans too and sometimes they react just like you do when you see something…

Tyler Murray joined Grande at our series…Like Grande, Murray is a Boston University graduate and remembers the early days, “That (first) job with the Daytona Cubs was unpaid, we only got money for cleaning up the stadium every night for fifty bucks, that’s how we paid rent.  You go home smelling of garbage at one thirty (AM) and then you’re back at it at 9AM but it’s still one of the best summers I’ve had”…

Budding announcers often struggle with the mechanics of the job, all too often imitating national people they hear or grew up with…Developing your own style can be the key…”Do it over and over”, Grande told the group, “it’s not unlike your own personality, you become your own person and you become your own announcer.”

Even Presidents have tried their hand at play by play…Before he became a actor and politician, Ronald Reagan worked on radio doing college football, major league baseball and track and field…His account of the day track great Jesse Owens competed at the Drake Relays is a classic…A United Press International report is included here…

The same goes for college professors…My very first hockey game way back when found me perched at the old Lynn Arena doing Everett and Malden High Schools…I had done my homework, so I thought, but wasn’t quite ready when the Crimson’s first line took the ice…Mike Abbatinozzi, Pete Cittadini and Lou Uliano…Try keeping those straight on the rush up ice!

So what makes a good play by play call?…For Murray it’s the all about the “excitement but don’t overdo it.”

For the aforementioned Cosell, 1973 was an eventful year…Famous for his boxing play by play, Cosell’s three sharp words during the Joe Frazier/George Foreman title fight still resonate as a standard for any sport…Al Michaels might want to challenge for the top spot on any list of calls….Michaels’ description of the final seconds of the 1980 United States hockey victory over the Soviets was superb….As much for its language but as much for what Michaels did not say …After uttering his famous “Do you believe in miracles, yes!” line Michaels does not talk for a full minute…He understood the moment perfectly…

Now it’s your turn…Include your favorite play by play call in your comment…And tell us why… Jack Buck once voiced “I can’t believe what i just saw!”…Who sparks that emotion in you?

Jane Rose posted on April 16, 2018 at 10:15 pm

Play by play doesn’t always get the recognition it deserves, because when you think about it, an announcer has the ability to make or break a game experience. I’ve listened to some announcers that made an exciting game nearly impossible to watch.
But on that same note, any sports fan could probably name their favorite call instantly. Before the question was even completed for our guests this week, my mind already went to my favorite call, and one that still brings excitement to my chest — Rick Jeanerret when the Buffalo Sabres beat the Ottawa Senators in overtime in game five of the 2006 playoffs, saying “Now do you believe? Now do you believe? These guys are good… Scary good.” I will never forget how Jeanerret’s excitement in that moment coincided with everyone’s in Buffalo. It wasn’t the cookie cutter overtime winner call.That call became so synonymous with that incredible hockey run that soon the team was selling hats with it on them. Merchandise with an announcer’s quote on it? It sounds crazy, but those hats sold out.
Tyler Murray summarized a good call perfectly when he said that it matches the excitement without making it about yourself. I had never thought about it like that, but after giving it some thought, I realize he couldn’t more correct. A good call enhances a good play to stay with the viewers long after the game is over.
Another way to think about good announcers is speaking both languages — not being critical but remembering that audiences listen to those types of commentaries, according to Sean Grande.
I think most people want an announcer to tell them what’s happening, but also be able to give some criticism when it’s necessary. No one wants the play by play overpowered by commentary. However, a good majority of popular sports shows are filled with big personalities who shred athletes. It’s a fine line to walk between the two and that’s why it makes some announcers so disliked.
Announcing games is not as easy as it sounds and I found that out at a young age. At the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto you can pick a famous NHL play and record how you would announce it. During my first trip there when I was 11, I got so flustered trying to call the play that I eventually walked out. From then on, I knew play by play was not in my future. How announcers are able to memorize all the players and describe exciting plays without their own emotion is truly beyond me. While I am not inclined to pursue it (I’m way too expressive) I can admit the crucial role it has in sports.
And to anyone who doesn’t understand its significance … Have you ever heard Doc Emrick?

Ashleigh Shanley posted on April 17, 2018 at 12:23 pm

I don’t know if it is the older I get, the pickier I am about my play by play broadcasters or if I’m just more defensive when I watch my teams play, but I’ve found that I get more and more critical about what announcers are saying these days. And while I will always be a fan of Chris Fowler calling any college football game, I can tell you, hands down, that if Dan Dakich is calling a college basketball game I tally down all the aggressive, inappropriate comments he says.
Yes, maybe I notice it more because I don’t like that his son transferred from Michigan to that school down south….in my family we just call it ohio…but I really am critical of games he announces because he is so incredibly biased and negative in any game he calls. Each and every time, he ingrains himself way too much into the game.
“Play by play is more of a discipline, more of an art,” mentioned Sean Grande of the Celtics. “Your job is to keep the audience engaged as long as you’re asking.” This made me think immediately of Dakich. Whether he is calling a Michigan, Duke or Michigan State basketball game, Dakich continually inserts his very opinionated comments into the broadcast. For me, this walks a very fine line with what his true responsibilities are as an announcer. As Grande also mentioned, fans are getting fed opinions and commentary all day from other broadcasts and shows, so when it comes time for a game – the play by play announcers need to know how to talk about each team in a way that might balance out that excessive commentary.
This made me think of one example in particular – when Dakich was calling the Duke vs. Virginia Tech game. It was one of Marvin Bagley III’s first games back after his short hiatus from a sprained ankle, and the Blue Devils were going back and forth with the Hokies. While Duke performed incredibly well with Bagley on the bench, fans were wondering why the team was struggling so much with him back on the court. Well, Dakich decided to take the situation into his own hands, and said the following.
“I know this is blasphemy, but Bagley is all about Bagley. I mean honest to goodness, I can see in 18 minutes why Duke was able to go on a run when he was hurt. You hate to say that about a kid, but he is all about himself. He gets the ball, it doesn’t come out. He doesn’t play defense. He’s a terrific talent, don’t get me wrong. But you can see real clear, real fast, and I’ll take all the shots people want to give me, but you see he is about him.”
Wow. To say that on a live broadcast – not an opinionated show like First Take – about the ACC rookie of the year and ACC player of the year, that’s bold. And in my opinion, it is completely inappropriate and uncalled for. Dakich’s job is to call the game, and if he’s doing color commentary, he can obviously add some opinion – but like Grande said, find a story in the game, tell a story. Don’t go bashing young, very talented, players and creating your own idea of why the team your calling was playing poorly.
While this may seem like a rant against a ESPN commentator, I promise it’s not because between Dakich’s calls that night, and in other games, and then hearing from two talented play by play announcers, one thing is clear – do not unnecessarily add yourself into the game.
As Grande mentioned, one of the worst things to do in a celebration of a title is to continue talking instead of letting the cameras role and tell the story. Yet, I also think saying too many personal and aggressive opinions is also irresponsible for play by play broadcasters. It would have been ok to say, “If Bagley gets the ball, it doesn’t come out.” Since that was somewhat true of Bagley’s style of play, but to essentially call him selfish and say Duke was better without him was crossing the line.
Like any entertainment job, people look for different things in their play by play sportscasters, and as Tyler Murray stated, “Match the moment, but don’t overshadow or make it about yourself.” For me, that’s the main thing I really care about when watching a game. And when I come across an announcer who does make it about him or herself, I am glad that the mute button exists.

Andrew Mason posted on April 17, 2018 at 4:00 pm

It’s All in the Delivery…

One of the major reasons that I transferred from UC Irvine to Boston University was to pursue a career in sports broadcasting. Over the past year, I have worked with WTBU Radio to call softball, basketball, field hockey, and ice hockey games. Every single game comes with a new thrill, and the rush I get when “we’re live” is something that almost nothing else can bring me. The fact that BU has so many wonderful play-by-play opportunities is really what allows me to safely confirm that a scary and anxiety-ridden transfer process was all worth it.

On the radio, the play-by-play voice acts as the eyes of the listener. Even on TV, the voices that the viewer hears play a pivotal role in the viewing experience. Looking back on some of my favorite moments in sports, it was the broadcaster’s call that made so many of these plays special to me. My parents are just about sick of hearing me recreate Bill Macdonald’s 2006 “Kobe Bryant…EIGHTY-ONE-POINTS”, or Kevin Harlan’s 2011 “Oooooh Kobe Bryant – with no regard for human life!” The play-by-play broadcaster has a responsibility to live up to the moment. If you aren’t excited, no one will be.

But it’s important to remember that more often than not, the game itself is already exciting and worth the viewers’/listeners’ attention. Something that I hadn’t thought about until I arrived at BU was the idea that “less is more”. Tyler Murray of the New Hampshire Fisher Cats stressed the importance of showing “excitement, but don’t overdo it.” This is a concept that I still struggle with. There’s a balance: keep it fun but don’t go crazy. The reason this balance is difficult to understand is because where the median is located is subjective. Is Joe Buck too boring? (“Romo throws it…caught…touchdown Dallas.”) Is Ralph Lawler of the Los Angeles Clippers too much? (“CP3 to Griffin – OH ME OH MY LOB CITY! BINGOOO!”) Ultimately, it’s up to the people sitting at home. Do you want that voice in your living room?

One play-by-play expert that I look up to is Gus Johnson. Except for his most recent Milwaukee Bucks call, Johnson is typically able to find a healthy balance between setting the stage with the hype it needs, without going over the top. Sean Grande of the Boston Celtics admitted that during big moments (such as right after a buzzer beater or a game-winning touchdown), sometimes the best thing to say is “nothing”. Especially when on TV, let the visuals and natural sounds of the crowd and arena lift the moment into sports lore. In my opinion, Johnson and Grande do a great job of this. Sometimes we just don’t need to hear somebody blab through something special.

As awesome as being the voice of a game is, it truly takes a tremendous amount of homework to pull off correctly. Even if you’ve known the game of basketball since you were a baby, having to explain to an audience through a radio exactly what is happening on the court for two hours will expose anybody who didn’t do their research. And it’s not just the rules and basic game flow you need to master. What interesting story could I mention of the visiting head coach during a timeout? What’s #4’s free throw percentage in fourth quarters this season? How in the world do I pronounce Giannis Antetokounmpo? Every game I get a ton of sheets of paper thrown at me by a BU Sports Information Director. One of the best skills I have developed has been the ability to “sift through the muck” and find the important facts that I will actually use during the game. This helps a lot in preparing for play-by-play.

I look at my time at BU as a golden opportunity to get as many reps in at the play-by-play spot as possible. I am proud that I have never denied calling a game because I didn’t feel that I could. And believe me, that insecurity has risen to my mind before. You think a basketball junkie from Los Angeles has ever watched a field hockey game in his life? Forget about it. But the willingness to prepare to be the play-by-play anchor for a sport (or even just a team) that you are unfamiliar with, is a big factor in separating you from the competition. Be willing to step outside of your comfort zone. Just do it.

You may land yourself one of the best jobs in the world.

Elizabeth Pentikis posted on April 17, 2018 at 6:42 pm

https://goo.gl/y3sbW2

Jessica Citronberg posted on April 17, 2018 at 11:15 pm

Ah, play by play. It has never been something I’ve wanted to pursue, but it’s something that I have so much respect for. After sophomore year, I interned at a local TV station in Chicago and had the opportunity to hang out in the booth at Wrigley Field and U.S. Cellular Field. (Now it’s called Guaranteed Rate Field, but alas).

Tyler Murray and Sean Grande were great guests, and they worked really well off each other. Their stories may have been about their field, but the advice I took from them can reflect any career path.

Practice, practice, practice. That’s what I really got out of this seminar. You don’t just become Harry Caray overnight. Vin Scully may be the best in the business, but he had to start somewhere. Both Grande and Murray discussed the importance of practicing and how their years in the business have made them better at what they do.

As far as my favorite call, any broadcast that Doc Emrick is involved in is my favorite. I mean, you can’t watch this video without feeling happy. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ekBoJvhrY8).

Doc (and Eddie Olczyk) have been a great hockey duo in my time of being a fan of the game. When Doc scream GOAAAALLL it doesn’t sound overpowering. His voice still lets you enjoy the game, no matter who you’re rooting for.

There’s just something so perfect about Doc Emrick that I love. I never thought I would love the word ricochet as much as I do when I hear him say it. He enhances the hockey watching experience.

Taylor Ventrice posted on April 18, 2018 at 12:17 pm

Play by play is something that I have never had an interest in perusing or getting involved in, but I do respect the announcers because it definitely isn’t an easy thing to do. Yes, anyone can call what happens in a game, but to make it entertaining and make people listen to you, that’s the hard part. Play by play broadcasters have the ability to make a terrible game, bearable, and an exciting game, not so enjoyable. To me, it seems like all the pressure is on those announcers and even the smallest mistake will be noticed by many.

But, to my surprise, I really enjoyed this seminar. Even though it’s not something I am interested in as a career, I did appreciate learning every aspect of Sean Grande and Tyler Murray’s jobs and all the hard work that goes into just one sports game. What I took away most was to be diverse in many different sports and how that can help you in this business. The NBA has always been the organization that I wanted a career in, but after this seminar, I let myself play with the idea of working for the NHL, MLB, or even the NFL. Don’t get me wrong, NBA is still my first choice, but this seminar got me thinking about what other opportunities are out there.

Nicole Ericson posted on April 18, 2018 at 2:53 pm

I have never had much interest in play by play, but after this seminar I have tremendous respect for the people that sit behind the mic and call games. It never struck me how difficult calling a game was until I tried Sean Grande’s trick… try explaining what a random person is doing in a Dunkin Donuts line with as much detail as possible. Now that was tough.

Grande and Tyler Murray were great guests. They gave me a better understanding of how difficult calling a game is. Play by play is an art and only some are equipped with the talent to perfect the craft. But like all professions practice makes perfect. The more you call a game, the more you are going to perfect the call.

When I think of great play by play announcers my mind immediately jumps to Vin Scully. The man has been calling Dodgers games for what seems like a lifetime… well it has been his lifetime. But one of my favorite calls of all time is Joe Castiglione’s 2004 Red Sox World Series final out to finally bring the championship back to Boston. “Keith Foulke Flips the ball to first base and that does it folks the Boston Red Sox are World Series Champions…. can you believe it?” I’m not sure why this call is my favorite, but every time I hear it I get the chills. Maybe because it was so simple. Can you believe it? Yes, I really can.

While play by play may not be for me, I respect those that can describe a game in such detail I feel like I am there. When I listen to these people call injuries or big moments, I think how excited yet freaked out they are when they know they have millions of people listening to them. I guess that comes with the job. Overall, this seminar taught me that even the smallest description can paint a tremendous image.

Matthew Doherty posted on April 18, 2018 at 4:21 pm

Being a sports broadcaster or a sports writer are the two jobs I want the most in this world. And as Sean Grande said, “I haven’t worked a day in my life.” It’s certainly a dream job. But it’s an art and it’s a very challenging art to perfect.

I remember driving home from BU a couple of years ago and listening to Sean Grande call Isaiah Thomas’s 50-point game. It’s a moment ill never forget and thats the power a play by play broadcaster has. I’ve been listening to Sean for a while and he truly is one of the best. Radio play by play, especially basketball, is an art form.

I came to BU with aspirations of being solely a sports broadcaster and while I developed a strong passion for writing, I think play by play is still the top dog for me… But its also one of the hardest positions to break into. Not only are there so few play by play broadcasters due to the capped amount of games and teams but the subjectivity is real. A lot of broadcasters stay with their team or network for a long long time which makes it hard to break into the professional ranks.

Both Sean and Tyler reiterated the most important thing for broadcasters; reps. There’s nothing like calling a game and it truly is the only way you can get better as a broadcaster. I definitely saw myself grow as a broadcaster this year. I was the play by play man for the men’s basketball team and I got to call nearly 20 games for WTBU. Over the course of the season I saw myself grow more comfortable and learn invaluable traits as a broadcaster. However, I still wish I did more. Because the more games you do, the better you get. It’s as simple as that.

I think another way to grow as a broadcaster is to listen to the style of other broadcasters. Its important to notice what they do, both right and wrong. This year I definitely developed a better rhythm and tempo with how I speak during the broadcast. Annunciation and pace is key. And that takes practice on top of practice as well as listening and learning.

But there’s also another part of the craft. Being able to tell a story, putting yourself in the listeners shoes, and knowing how and when to make the big call. That takes skill and talent. It’s what makes Sean so great.

Joe Buck is at the top of the broadcasting chain in my opinion and I think he’s also the best at letting the moment speak for itself. Here’s Buck doing just that…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJyxzaLNl

Once you perfect the art of being a play by play broadcaster, then you’ll never have to work another day in your life.

Matt Dresens posted on April 18, 2018 at 5:22 pm

Finally, we get to play by play…

This was, way back when I switched into the class, one of the seminars I was looking forward to the most. For longer than I can remember, I’ve wanted to do play by play. However embarrassing it may be, I will be in the shower, in my bed, walking back from class and instead of, singing a song out-loud like a normal person, I find myself doing PxP calls from plays that are running through my head.

More than once, people have looked at me as if I have 17 heads and yes, I get embarrassed, but 30 seconds later I find myself doing it again. One time and Sean Grandy hinted at this last week, I ended up doing PxP at a burger joint in Foxboro while at a team dinner with my high school baseball team. It sort of started out as a joke, but a few minutes later I was describing every little thing going on in that Five Guys Burgers and Fries. It was totally improved and a joke, but people said I was good, so that got me interested in doing, you know, an actual game.

There were very limited opportunities in high school to do PxP. I know one time I offered to do it for a hockey game, but then realized that, no, that would not work because I was playing in the game… I finally got my first crack at the mic on a lacrosse game, a sport I knew next to nothing about.

It was all fine and good until halfway through the first quarter when the score was 9-1. As Tyler pointed out last week, the game no longer was entertaining enough on its own. I quickly realized that this would be the case for many lax games I did that spring. Medfield high school was and still is a lacrosse powerhouse in Massachusetts. My senior year, they advanced (for the fourth straight year) to the state championship game and since my Baseball team had been eliminated weeks before, I got to call the entire playoff run for local TV. The championship game was at Nickerson Field of all places.

That spring, I developed a love for PxP and knew it was something I wanted to pursue. I finally got to call my beloved sport of hockey for the first with Tyler. I was on color for the Woman’s hockey game against Maine to close out the 2017 regular season. After the game, Ty gave me a few pointers and I was once again in the booth with him this past season. Even after just a handful of games, I felt far more confident. I also realized there was a lot more to the craft than just describing the action.

One piece of advice I picked up during that stretch of lax games I was involved with came from former Sports Center host Kieth Olbermann. He said on his now-canceled show Olbermann, the best way to practice PxP is to find someone you want to model your career after and try and call a game just like they would.

Forever I used that advice, until last week. Literally minutes before the seminar, I got off the phone with former Terrier defenseman turned broadcaster Colby Cohen, and he basically said you can sample the work of some people, but you have to find your own voice. Both Sean and Tyler said almost the same thing.

This leads back to the overarching team for the semester: finding your brand. You have to stick out and in PxP, I think a lot of people tend to be obnoxious in an attempt to distinguish themselves. You can be yourself, be calm and describe the play in your own way without yelling at the top of your lungs. I’m looking at you Judd Sirott. It’s very easy to tell when people are trying too hard.

Laura Guerriero posted on April 18, 2018 at 11:15 pm

May 25, 2012. I was just a 15-year-old watching playoff hockey as a Devils fan for the first time. As I sat on my friend’s couch, I watched game six of the Eastern Conference final between the Devils and the Rangers. Did I mention her and her family are huge Rangers fans? Well, as the story goes, the game goes into overtime with the chance for the Devils to move on to the Stanley Cup Final on the line. In the final moments of that game, three Devils poke away at the puck as Lundqvist scrambles to try to save it, but it’s Adam Henrique that puts the final nail in the coffin, tossing the puck to the back of the net.

That call by Doc Emrick will forever be burned into my brain, and I get the chills every time I hear it.

“…still it’s loose, poked out by Kovalchuck, THEY SCORE. HENRIQUE! IT’S OVER!”

I even have the shirt that has the Rangers logo with their name swapped out for “Henrique, it’s over.” I wear it every now and then when I want to remember how glad I am that I’m not a Rangers fan.

Play by play is a storytelling job. As Sean Grande and Tyler Murray said, play by play really is an art. All famous plays are accompanied by a call, and when an announcer makes a call, it’s like they are writing the soundtrack to that play. Not only do these announcers help write sports history daily, they become symbols for the sport. They remind fans of the sport they love and the memories they have made while watching or listening to these games. When those overtime goals are scored or those unbelievable catches are made, it’s not just the actions that are remembered forever, it’s the voice behind it as well.

With this comes an aspect I don’t envy: having to constantly be “on.” Play by play announcers are constantly on a stage, and in today’s society where people are extremely aware/sensitive towards what others say, it’s hard to constantly monitor on the fly. I know there are plenty of instances where announcers say something that crosses a line for some (or more than some) people, but the fact that everything lasts forever makes it that much more dangerous for those trying to make a career for themselves as a play by play announcer. Doing play by play in 2018 sounds like an extremely daunting task to me. I’ll leave this one to the professionals…

Shane Rhodes posted on April 18, 2018 at 11:30 pm

Play-by-play is, I’m sure, an amazing job, if not a difficult one.

Calling a game, you have a front seat to all of the action. But you don’t have much chance to react to or reflect on it. You have to stay focused on the game and continue to relay information to the viewers or listeners.

That is exactly why I don’t think I could ever do play-by-play, as much as I would like to.

I thoroughly enjoyed both Sean Grande and Tyler Murray. Grande, especially, was both funny and informative. But I constantly find myself always caught up in the moment while watching a game. Honestly, I have no idea how Grande and other callers maintain their composure through the madness that can ensue in any sporting event. While I think that some emotion can help describing certain scenes later on, it would ultimately be a hindrance during the actual game.

I almost certainly think I could play the analyst role. Plenty of analysts I’ve heard, both on radio and on tv, often get much louder or emotional during the games — guys like Tommy Heinsohn and Cedric Maxwell for the Celtics and Scott Zolak for the Patriots often come to mind — but that is a completely different role entirely.

But who knows? As Grande said, things don’t always go as you plan them to — just because I don’t think I fit as a PxP guy doesn’t mean it isn’t something I could end up doing. Plus, it’s just another skill to add to the repertoire when searching for a job.

Alanna McDonough-Rice posted on April 19, 2018 at 12:04 am

I think the biggest takeaway from this was finding the balance between making yourself known and not being a public enemy. You need to make your own style, but also keep your bosses happy. You need to keep people interested and create more interesting content, but also do your job and give the play-by-play of the game.

Balance is an important quality to possess, but sometimes this job can push you one way or another. You might slip up and make some “insensitive” comment that is just a misinterpretation while trying to get a sense of your style or you might slip by being so robotic people turn to other stations to hear the same thing. You can mess up by being too wild or too safe, so you need that healthy balance of political correctness, knowing what isn’t important to mention, what is crucial to mention, and how to also do the most basic parts of your job.

When Murray talked about how one colleague was fired for trying to create drama with dead air but it backfired and the bosses didn’t like the dead air, that is what really struck me. It’s 2018 and people are being fired for making racist, insensitive, or just blatantly offensive remarks, but I didn’t think you could get fired for trying to build drama and suspense.

Or when the Tristan Thompson and Khloe Kardashian news came out, you HAVE to address things like that. Your viewers aren’t stupid, they know what’s going on so don’t treat them as if they need to be sheltered from some of the more negative aspects of the game.

Again, that balance between personal style, management’s style, and bringing up the crucial topics is what I believe to be the most important take away. To be a journalist you really do have to be able to do it all and more.

Jacqui Manning posted on April 19, 2018 at 12:01 pm

In the spirit of Sean Grande, I want to talk about a simple phrase some consider the greatest moment in basketball history that goes a little something like this:

“Havlicek stole the ball!”

If you love New England sports, and grew up here like I did, I would bet my next paycheck someone in your family knows Johnny Most. Now, Professor Shorr, I don’t need to tell you where I’m going with this story. 1965 Eastern Conference finals. Closing seconds of Game 7 against the Sixers. Celtics blow a huge lead. All of a sudden, BAM!– Havlicek tips the ball in one of the greatest NBA Plays ever.

That play led to Celtics winning their seventh consecutive conference championship, and just typing this gives me goosebumps and an adrenaline rush that all sports fans experience in an unexplainable way. We all want to believe in something bigger than ourselves, and during the 50s through the 90s, Johnny Most did that for the world. His legend will live in my head high, just as he sat high and mighty in the old garden.

Sports have a way of bringing people, passions, and hope together. It’s why we’re all in this class. It’s why most of my classmates are in sports journalism. There’s a romanticism with sports that is and always will be apart of society because it brings out all of the aspects of raw, human existence that makes life worth living. This existence is depicted through pay by play. Announcers are the voices you celebrate with, cry with, scream at the tv with, throw popcorn into the stands with– it’s the rawest form of human connection because they are the voices you bring into your homes.