‘Tear The Curtain’

This is the extended trailer for a new play written by Jonathon Young of the Electric Company Theatre. I have to start by saying that I’m in love with this guy and his plays are actually what inspired me to get interested in theatre and writing plays, so that’s why I chose this as my first “article”. But enough about Jonathon…

‘Tear the Curtain’ is an intriguing blend of film and theatre. It’s about a playwright trying to come up with his next big play all the while searching for exactly who he is and how writing affects him. The play includes both live acting on stage as well as recorded scenes that are projected onto the stage itself. It appears that at times the live action and recorded action actually interact with each other as well, which is espcially cool! Though not perfect for every play, obviously, the use of film seems to give a play about the decline of theatre in the wake of film an interesting new depth. It shows how the two seemingly very different mediums can be blended into a brand new type of drama. It allows this play to expand its settings to wider and more elaborate settings.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I find the idea of a writer losing himself in his work so completely that he doesn’t know what’s real and what’s imagined a really fascinating and terrifying idea. As a writer myself, I can actually relate to this experience a little bit and it’s what first drew me into this story.

Anyway, you should check it out and see what you think about it. Unfortunately, considering the fact that this play was designed around a specific theatre, it’s only been performed for one run last fall in Vancouver so you might never get to actually see it, but you never know! It’s still cool.