Art and Violence

I noticed that there was another post on this production, but this article drew my attention and I think it’s an important one to read for a few reasons. First, this show looks really fun and informative. I too found it made me think of Fallujah, which is inspiring to know that work that is being done around us, by our colleagues, is touching points that broadway productions are touching.

I am also reading for an African American Literature class essays by the people of the Black Power movement. They dicuss defining art for themselves in order to create political change. Maulana Karenga says ” the battle we are fighting now is the battle for the minds… and that if we lose this battle, we cannot win the violent one”. There is an urgency in these writers’ belief in arts power to change people that I saw a glimpse of in this article at the last line when Charles Isherwood says, “Violence is not after all the only human activity that can have far-reaching, unforeseen effects, shaping lives far into the future. Mr. Joseph’s richly conceived play reminds us that art can have a powerful afterlife too”.

I am interested in making this type of art.

http://theater.nytimes.com/