Why I regret the fact I can’t speak German…

hamlet

A friend of mine was studying experimental theatre in Berlin for part of the Summer and one day, when I was casually perusing her blog, this picture struck me.  Her caption was, “I’m so amped for this production of Hamlet.”  (WHAT? A sexy dirt covered Hamlet in his undies?) Since then I’ve become increasingly obsessed with the direction and innovation of Thomas Ostermeier.

Thomas Ostermeier (and I guess he’s über famous, so many of you might know about him already) is the Artistic Director of the Schaubuehne theatre in Berlin.  The theatre’s programming is dedicated to political and social causes and they often premiere new work by contemporary playwrights. But perhaps what they and Thomas Ostermeier are most famous for is their radical revisions of the classics. Their repertoire is extensive and intimidating.  In the past they have produced plays by Gorki, Brecht, Strinberg, Moliere, Ibsen, and most prominently Shakespeare.  Ostermeier is known to take canonical work, strip it down and make it as visceral an experience as possible.

The Schaubuehne’s Hamlet is only two and a half hours long and calls for an ensemble of only six actors who play 20 different characters.  The stage is covered in a very thick layer of mud.  The actors do not only bury themselves and each other in it, they consume it.  Ostermeier is also extremely interested in the collaboration of film.  Video of the actors faces and other clips are projected behind the action on a huge screen made from gold chain.  In one article I read, the observer recounted that during one of Hamlet’s monologues or soliloquies, a close up of his face was being projected on the enormous screen, but his face kept being interrupted by images of a skull, (which the author of the article suspected was in place of Yorick, whose scene was cut).  Another great example of the radical revision is the Mousetrap scene.  Hamlet and Horatio put on the play for Claudius and Gertrude and Hamlet is dressed in his mother’s black lace panties and thigh high stockings…

I don’t know if I would like this production (hell, I probably would) but I KNOW I have to see it.  It premiered a few years ago, but from what I can extract from various theatres’ websites is that it may or may not be going to London soon and it’s definitely in Berlin right now. I’ma include a short trailer for this Hamlet that I encourage y’all to watch. It’s pretty cool.

Also, a quick shoutout to ANTIGONE! (and Danny Park who lamented with me over the fact that we couldn’t find an all male version or a version with drag.) The Schaubuhne is doing an ALL MALE version with DRAG, GLITTER, and weird German rock!!! Another trailer. (Look at all that fucking glitter!)

So, well done Thomas Ostermeier. You have singlehandedly made me regret choosing Spanish over German in high school.