second star to the right and straight on till morning

Screen shot 2011-10-31 at 6.54.08 PM

PETER PAN IS HERE IN BOSTON!!!

Peter Pan is one of my favorite stories of all time.      One of my friends from home told me about  threesixty’s production of peter pan when it first  appeared in London.  The production is in the round  and the audience is surrounded by a sort of omnimax  CGI screen above and around them.   When Peter,  Mary, John, and Michael fly through the skies of  London, the audience and actors become engulfed in  the landscape of the city.  The images are projected  360 degrees all around the tent.  They also use puppetry in their show, from what I know of, Nana their pet dog is a puppet and so is the crocodile.  I didn’t even know the production was coming to  Boston until I saw it being advertised in downtown last week.

Peter Pan has always been such a magically experience for me.  No matter what the production quality is like, the story is so beautiful and amazing that I fall in love with it every time.  I have to see this production.  Hands down I have to.  Because the story is so magical on its own that I’m so extremely interested to see how the role of puppetry, music and CGI conjure up new magic in this production.  This innovative theatrical experience sounds thrilling to me.

I started looking at the cast in the show, and it shocked me that all of the people in the show were either still in school or recently graduated from some schools like Roosevelt, Boston Conservatory, or Northwestern.  I feel like I always forget that most of the actors in these huge outrageous shows that I could never in a million years dream of being involved with, were in the same position I’m in right now.  That they were aspiring theatre artists, that they went to school, they studied the craft and they went after what they wanted.  It made me realize how much closer I am to theatre now and that its not such an abstract idea.  That where I am now is different from when I was 12 years old going to see “Little Shop of Horrors” on the Playhouse stage in Cleveland Ohio and dreaming about being on the stage.  I’m starting to recognize that i can do things like this, like this Peter Pan now, or I can really start to take action towards the theatre I want to be involved in.  I’m discovering a completely different state of mind and it is so exciting.

sbmeyers posted on October 31, 2011 at 10:49 pm

You’ll have to let us know how it is. I’m not convinced this is a successful production. Something about the expensive nature and the hyper-perfect technology doesn’t seem right to me…

ofine posted on October 31, 2011 at 10:59 pm

I understand what you’re saying because usually productions of that demeanor, (expensive in nature that involve hyper-perfect technology) usually turn me off as well, even though I don’t like to admit that. I think that bare necessity can be so influential in theatre and greatly appreciated, but I am interested to see how they used these specific elements to create a new container for their work. I want to experience it first and see what happens.

sbmeyers posted on October 31, 2011 at 11:16 pm

I think that is wise insight on your part. You should see it! Heck. I should probably see it! How much is it for tickets?

lehuggin posted on November 1, 2011 at 7:07 am

Oh my God this is awesome!! And Amen to your aspiring theatre artists bit. We’re almost there!

kmjiang posted on November 1, 2011 at 10:29 pm

OH MY GOSH