From Stage to Silver Screen

I was thinking a lot about our quick discussion in class about the filming of stage pieces, particularly in reference to comments on “The Shipment.” Ilana said something about the translation from stage to screen, and how effective or ineffective it can be, and I find this radiotimes article to be pretty relevant to what we do.
Based on what the article says, there has been an increasing trend to screen theatrical performances in order to make these events more available to the public. Anywhere from plays, musicals, to big concerts, there has been a rise in the joining of these two worlds. And while I still believe that there is nothing like being present in a live performance, I love that we, as two separate communities, are trying to come together. Especially because once a cinema-going audience sees a filmed theatre piece that they like, they are extremely likely to come back for more. And I think that by doing this, there are ultimately going to be more people who decide to take the big leap in seeing an actual piece of theatre.
I think the greatest thing about filming live performances and broadcasting them all over the world is that so many more people get the opportunity to see pieces of theatre. There was a huge increase in the population of lower-income citizens and younger audiences seeing things like “Young Frankenstein” and “FELA,” because it was so much more accessible. And while I don’t think these pieces of theatre are AT ALL the end all be all of theatre, it sparks something in those who don’t have the privilege to see live theatre. In 2009, I got the opportunity to see U2 perform in concert. And not because I paid $200 to see one of their concerts, but because I got a free Sundance ticket to see the world premiere of “U2 in 3D” concert film. And it really was like being at one of their concerts. The cinematography and thought that went into this film really was incredible, and it felt very similar to my own live concert experiences. Except I was in the front row!!!
So while I will always believe in the power of live theatre, I think there is something to be said for it’s translation to the screen. It provides filmmakers with new creative challenges, theatre artists more opportunities, and less fortunate citizens more of a chance to figure out what theatre is all about.