Stick Fly

stick-flySo the day before Thanksgiving, Chloe and I saw Other Desert Cities and the day after we saw the genius Kenny Leon production of the genius Lydia Diamond play Stick Fly. Those of us in the SOT community have been privy to the evolvement and progression of this play, but it was truly something else to see it on the Great White Way. Droves of people (who don’t know Lydia) were there to support this play they know little to nothing about. If it is Alicia Keys that gets them there, then who am I to poo-poo on that because, at the end of the day, IT GETS THEM THERE. I can’t ever argue with having huge names in important shows because it does the job it’s meant to do. If only more celebrities or notables would invest their time in WORTHWHILE productions, then there would be no need to scoff.

Anyway, this was my first time seeing Stick Fly as last year during the Huntington’s production I was drowning in a stage craft assignment. Everything was new to me and it was incredible. Even the ‘big name’ actors in this show like Mekhi Phifer and Dule Hill lived up to the excellence of the rest of the piece. And I kept thinking how important this play is for all people to see. Not of a designated color or ethnicity or orientation, but just people. One of the best ways for people to learn about the world, is through theatre. It’s a way to experience lives, cultures, stories, and parts of the world that you might otherwise not. I will never have the personal experience of being an affluent, intellectual, African-American, Martha’s Vineyard resident. I’ll be lucky if I ever reach ‘affluent’. But seeing Stick Fly offers me a chance to peak at that world and learn something about people I rarely encounter in my own life. And yet there’s universality in it. Cheryl has a final monologue about fearing never to be loved by a man because she never had a father that loved her. Taylor speaks about growing up in a single-mother household and having abandonment issues. Spoon longs for the approval of his father after a lifetime of searching for his passion. These are themes that connect us, while giving people like me the chance to explore a different world.

I cannot emphasize enough the power of Condola Rashad’s performance as Cheryl. She was just, phenomenal. She made everything seem to effortless, so easy. Ruben Santiago-Hudson did everything right. Rosie Benton, the only cast member to be involved in the Huntington and the Arena productions, played a really believable character. Tracie Thoms was….okay. Definitely solid, but, seemed to have a lot of bad habits. It was very well directed, and the set was GORGEOUS. They got that Martha’s Vineyard mansion down to a T. The audience was SO responsive. Little “wow”s and “oh”s all over the place. Overall it was a wonderful production and Broadway is so lucky to have Lydia’s magic. If you’re in New York, you should see it. Really. Even if you’ve seen it already.