I understand that because of today’s media and entertainment, children are exposed to more violence than ever before.  I also understand that little can be done to rectify it now because it is such an enormous trend.  To be honest, it doesn’t bother me all too much, having been raised in the culture of Power Rangers and Nintendo 64 first person shooting games.  However, this really upsets me.

“It was the blow job joke that did it. Admittedly, the RSC’s new winter show, The Heart of Robin Hood, had signalled from the start that we weren’t in for wholesome derring-do amid dappled sunshine. Within the first few minutes our ungallant hero had shot dead a monk with an arrow through the eye. Shortly after, soldiers threatened two blubbing children under the revolving toes of their hanged father. A realistic decapitation drew a few gasps but was swiftly topped by a brutal de-tonguing, in which the ravaged appendage was gaily waved about as the victim’s mouth frothed with blood. But it was when King John started to make bobbing hand gestures, pantomiming his lascivious nature, that I saw several adults around me pursing their lips.”

Many of us choose to do theatre because we love that we are sharing a personal experience with the audience.  That’s why I find this so uncomfortable.  This show that states it is appropriate for kids seven and up, is inevitably leaving a more potent impression than a violent cartoon or slightly sexual TV show.  These kids are watching real life people performing these stunts right in front of them.  Theatre is extremely personal, which is what makes it beautiful, and that is what separates it from television and film.  Therefore, I think the artists involved should have taken into account that it cannot treat the production like a cartoon.