Monday
November 5

Was Jesus a Diplomat?

By Emma

A few weeks ago, Soren and I had an extensive conversation in our one-on-one about why it is that I value service.  This week in our intern group meeting, Jen brought us back to this question.  We’re involved in leadership, service and ministry, she pointed out, and we all have lots of ideas and thoughts about what degree of education we’ like to pursue, and what we might end up doing with those credentials.  But what, Jen asked, connects out motivation for service and our academic and career paths?

As one could probably imagine, this is a question that requires much introspection and self-examination and whatnot, but for this week I’d like to put forward the answer that’s on my mind right now.

I’m fascinated by international relations, and I love history.  It very rarely makes sense, though hindsight is always 20/20, or something like that.  I really enjoy studying the personalities and policies and events that have come to shape the world we live in.  Next semester, in fact, I’m taking four whole IR classes.  This should be interesting.  Anyway, I can’t imagine working in anything but a global scale.  I know there are problems in my own back yard, but I’m entranced by those that play out on the world stage, and I want to be a part of them.

But I’m also a Christian.  One who grew up in the Religious Society of Friends, no less.  So in my understanding, war is wrong.  Always.  And anyone who has ever taken a history class knows those things happen like they’re going out of style.  But when you ask yourself that old “WWJD” question, I really think that the answer is not “go to war.”  I think that Jesus is a compassionate, caring, and just person, who would pursue a diplomatic and humanitarian route to fixing problems.  And, as I discussed weeks ago with Soren, as a Christian, I believe fully in the imitation of Christ–that it’s my role to strive to be like him.  Whether that’s serving HIV+ homeless people in Boston or trying to pursue diplomatic paths that can help increase understanding between the peoples of the world, I think that it’s my job in life to try to live more like Christ, in whatever context I find myself.

I’m sure there will be much more thinking about this to come, but these are my ruminations for now.

9 Responses to “Was Jesus a Diplomat?”

1. From Virus Removal in Cornwall

Hello! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and say I truly enjoy reading your blog posts. Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that deal with the same subjects? Many thanks!

2. From machine a glace italienne professionnelle

Thanks for one’s marvelous posting! I really enjoyed reading it, you may be a great author.I will always bookmark your blog and will eventually come back in the future. I want to encourage that you continue your great posts, have a nice weekend!

3. From coupon deals

Really exceptional information from you, thanks.

4. From Film

I agree with you and will be definitely looking forward to your future updates. Thank you and keep the great work up. Good luck!

5. From geld investeren

Interesting read indeed, keep up the good work.

6. From Smith J

Really interesting info! Perfect exactly what I was trying to find!

7. From us visa

I liked up to you will obtain performed right here. The comic strip is attractive, your authored subject matter stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an impatience over that you wish be delivering the following. ill surely come more in the past again as precisely the similar just about a lot continuously inside case you protect this increase.

8. From Employment News

recruitment-career provaided job information including how to apply

9. From latest govt jobs

Search the top Govt. Work opportunities at jobsdhaba. Come, India’s no. 1 Govt Work opportunities web page.