They Are Just Like Us…(or are they?)

I want to win!…there, i said it…but then again, who doesn’t…we learn a lot about ourselves when we play sports but let’s be realistic, if I’m gonna play, I want to win!…Sure, I learn something when I lose but face it, winning feels much better…

And so it is that we try to explain the role between sports and society…

Whether you’re looking at the N-F-L, the Barclay’s Premier League, the National Hockey League or even here on the Boston University campus, there’s some good and there’s some not so good…It was with this in mind that we invited Northeastern Athletic Director Peter Roby and Adam Naylor of Boston University to join us at the sports journalism seminar series recently…Let’s just say the two schools are lucky to have these men associated with their programs and their athletes…

All too often, we only talk about sports and its role in our culture when something goes wrong…Take Saturday night’s game between the Colorado Avalanche and the Minnesota Wild, for example…Sixty two minutes in penalties, including 32 handed out with just :04 seconds to go in the game…So, if the players can do it, why can’t the fans?…Check out the crowd at the Pepsi Center!…I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out…

But should we be surprised?…Probably not…Naylor points to the National Football League, America’s game, if you will…”There’s a lot of ugly stuff that went(goes) on but we still tune in, we still pay money to watch it, so does this reflect something about us because we are willing to watch?…Sports is wonderful and sports is horrible…That’s how it is, we live in the shades of grey.” …No one condones Adrian Peterson or Ray Rice…But we’ll buy the tickets and the jerseys, high five after the touchdowns…

In all fairness, it’s not all bad behavior…I was reminded of that Sunday morning when I turned on the E-P-L Manchester City – Liverpool match…They have a tradition at Anfield that before each game they sing “You’ll Never Walk Alone” to remember the ninety six fans who lost their lives at Hilsborough 26 years ago…It reminds us that sports can bring us together for a common purpose, if only for a little while each Sunday morning….

Sports isn’t just fun and games, it’s not just something that takes us away from our daily lives….it teaches us countless lessons on fairness, competitiveness and what we want to be as people, as a society…we don’t always do it right, we don’t always stand up for what we think is right (and wrong)…But it’s a vehicle to try…

Here on our own campus, we woke up this past week to images of our highest profile athlete plastered all over the internet…a video taken at a post game celebration involving underage drinking…   No big deal?…perhaps, but when you’re an athlete representing your team, you have a responsibility that goes way beyond scoring goals and getting headlines…As Roby puts it, “The learning is in the journey.  Part of what we want to do is treat them like adults, give them responsibility, but if they make a mistake and violate those values we espouse, hold them accountable (as well).  Where it breaks down, is, we say we believe in certain things but then the best player in the country makes that mistake and we give him a pass, that’s the problem that happens in sports.  Because you’re so good and people want to benefit from your talent, that they don’t have the will to say I’m going to teach you a lesson.”  Naylor took it one step further, “it’s tough to espouse the core values when you feel like there’s a gun to your head to win the next game.”

And therein lies the problem on many levels…we want to set a good example but not necessarily if it means our best player(s) might miss the game…

Journalists have an interesting place in all this…how much do they report, how much do they risk the ire of the team, the media relations people, the athlete him or herself if they publish what i’ll call “non-game related issues”   Naylor talked about the relationship between the media, especially student journalists, and the players and holding them up for scrutiny, “They’re not different than you.  None of the guys (presumably ladies too) at B-U playing hockey are really that different from you with respect to how they were raised or what kind of kid they are.  The case may be they have the same insecurities that you may have, the same strengths, they probably enjoy the same types of things, they’re just really gifted,  I think it’s important that we don’t assume that these folks that you’re gonna cover (and write your stories) are so different than you.  In reality they’re probably very similar to you.”

Maybe it really is true that it doesn’t matter who wins and loses, it’s how you play the game…As Robyput it, it’s all about the journey……

Dylan Haines posted on March 1, 2015 at 12:25 pm

Our athletes of today’s world are put on a pedestal above the normal people of society. The players may not have asked for this, but they end up having to accept it as the fans and media leave them no choice. When a reporter discovers a flaw in an athlete’s life, the reporter seems to jump to the conclusion of, “how could this happen? Athletes are supposed to be perfect.” A flaw surprises the media and makes headlines on the local and national level.

Where did these flaws come from? Simply, athletes are humans too. They just happen to live in the society created by non-athletes that hold them to perfect expectations. Nowadays, youth sports has become a business. AAU basketball, travel ball, has become a huge money making business. Teams travel he country and play basketball when the players are not playing for their high schools. Coaches of these travel teams coach kids as young as the 2nd grade.

The second grade.

I was seven years old in the 2nd grade. I didn’t compete in AAU until I was 16, but I am not the majority, clearly. Kids in today’s youth receive special treatment that elevates them above their peers. This results in a missed opportunity for these kids to learn and grow as normal people, humans. The kids are thrown into the machine of the sports business at a young age.

The next level of competition for the youth is college. College athletes have a daily routine of doing what is asked of them by coaches and the university. They struggle to find time to develop subtleties, as Adam Naylor mentioned.

The media expects these kids to be fostered into angelic adults in the sports world. To be divine, if you will. God forbid an athlete has an interest outside of their sport. When an athlete breaks the expectations of society, it is a big deal. Articles are written, discipline is typically dealt and people are surprised.

Society has restricted athletes’ learning process. All their lives, athletes have been patted on the back if they make a mistake, especially star athletes. Discipline was not handed out in the right manner. This lifestyle carries over to higher levels of athletics, in a bigger spotlight, and repeats itself. Reporters and news agencies make money off of these mistakes that were never suppressed at the right age in the athletes lives. The media and society criticizes players for living in the world that they created for the athletes. A bit unfair, one would suggest. So why does this continue to go unquestioned?

As Peter Roby said, no one wants to ask the tough question.

Keiko Talley posted on March 1, 2015 at 6:52 pm

Adam Naylor made a point to tell us a few times that he encourages athletes to have hobbies outside of their sport. Larry Sanders seems to be a great example of a lot of things that Naylor was saying

http://www.businessinsider.com/larry-sanders-walking-away-2015-2

Nicholas Picht posted on March 2, 2015 at 12:39 am

To me, I think the journalism-coverage aspect of this issue is the most intriguing one. This has been a weird year for me in terms of coverage. For the first time, I’ve been expected by others to know pretty much everything about what’s going on with a high-end collegiate/professional hockey team, both on and off the ice. And all day Thursday, I received text messages asking what’s going to happen to Jack Eichel, should he be suspended, etc. Now, I don’t work for the Free Press; I’m not a beat reporter. But, do I have a responsibility to be tweeting out that BU’s best player was seen in videos drinking, including my opinion on whether or not he should be suspended, while knowing technically I am “employed” by the team? All year, I’ve had trouble knowing where to draw the line between “ask the players about it” and “that’s not part of my job description.” Sometimes, I consider myself lucky that I’m not doing this job while the sexual abuse and rape scandals came about…

To Keiko’s point about Larry Sanders, there’s also a totally different side to the spectrum. Kobe Bryant spends every waking moment playing, thinking, breathing basketball. There are numerous stories documenting how he’s woken trainers up at all hours of the night to turn the facility lights on and workout with him. And to him, he thinks that’s the reason he is so successful in his sport, because he is constantly playing it and thinking about it. And so I think this brings up a good point that pertains to both Dr. Naylor and Peter Roby. Every athlete is different. The development program that works for one guy may be a disaster for another. So, I think it’s imperative for psychologists or mentors working with these young athletes not only to find out what will get the most out of that particular athlete both personally and athletically, but also be willing to adjust their methods on a case by case basis.

The last point I want to make is a point Frank and I got into before the two guests came in. The question Frank asked me was “Does any high-end Division-1 team run a clean program?” And honestly, I don’t think the answer to that question is yes. No matter what sport – Alabama football, BU hockey, Vanderbilt baseball – I’m not sure any program is 100% clean. Now I get it, every athlete has a slightly harder schedule between class and practice and workouts, and deserves a little bit more leeway than most students do. But that being said, all the extra stuff – the meals, the grade fudging, even the boosters at most football schools – just fuel the fire of the mindset that athletes, as Cardale Jones said, “Ain’t here to play school.” But this extra attention isn’t even close to stopping in the near future. To me, it only seems to get worse as the years go on.

So what’s the first step in crushing this “bigger than the world” mindset? I have no idea. But, it’s definitely worth a conversation.

Keiko Talley posted on March 2, 2015 at 3:54 pm

Its common, when people are trying to become “more professional” they take to their Facebook and clean it up, removing any embarrassing or inappropriate pictures just in case they resurface at one point during a career, it makes us look more angelic, its how society likes to view people. To me this is no different than any athlete. As an athlete you are the face of your team, even if you’re warming the bench. From the moment that you sign up for the sport you are obligated to uphold a certain reputation. No not every program is clean, but if they aren’t they don’t plaster it all over for everyone to see. Jeff Twist and Peter Roby said that they keep track of their player’s social media to make sure that they don’t say or do something to tarnish the team or schools reputation.

Yes college athletes are held at a different standard than regular students, and I agree to a point in giving them leeway, but there is a line. When a player crosses the line and does something like what recently happened at BU it should be addressed. Giving the excuse that college athletes are still kids isn’t a great excuse in my opinion. We are sent off to college as adults, most of us being 18. We are considered adults, making our own decisions on what we should and shouldn’t do so why should that change when it comes to punishment on poor decisions? Roby and Naylor said that passes are given out when a player takes responsibility and apologizes for his or her actions. To counter their point, I believe that certain actions demand reprimanding, it should always end in an apology and acceptance of ones actions.

Yes athletes are humans and they are going to make mistakes like everyone in our class has. But we aren’t faces of a team, a university, or a label. They took on those responsibilities when they signed up for their job. Just like Brian Williams received punishment for his actions, Ray Rice should too. Athletes, if they like it or not, become role models for young kids. By making poor decisions and not being reprimanded for those decisions athletes are telling young kids that its okay to do whatever you want as long as you’re good at your job, which is a horrible message to send out to kids. (In no way am I saying that every athlete does this or is purposely sending out these messages to young kids)

To comment on Nick’s first point, it is infuriating that as journalists we walk a fine line on coverage. I was part of a discussion before a taped morning show at BU if we should mention what happened with Eichel. We decided not to because it was a bit controversial. Still there hasn’t been any written story by BU about the incident, or at least I haven’t seen one, because the school doesn’t want to talk about such controversy happening on their campus.

Christina Patracuolla posted on March 3, 2015 at 2:33 pm

It really is amazing how much influence sports have on all aspects of our society. In my opinion, society is a result of sports and sports are a result of society. We can be blames just as easily as the athletes are blamed for their actions, however athletes must be treated differently than everyone else because they are in the spotlight. With their talents and privileges it is their responsibility to uphold a certain type of character. They are in the spotlight and most people are not and that is just a fact of life.

In sports such as football, there are extremely talented athletes that have transferred from their normal lives, some of which were previously involved in gang related crime and quickly thrust into a life with lots of money and temptations thrown at them. The sadder part is, as fans, crimes such as domestic violence don’t stop us from paying money to see them. We choose to turn a blind eye to it, yet we break them down whenever we feel like it and to our benefit.

Adam Naylor’s job as a player development consultant because most pro athlete’s do need guidance. I can’t imagine how much social pressure athletes feel that lead many of them to performance enhancing drugs just to please society and keep their jobs. I agree with Adam that we don’t protect our athletes very well and our reactions and attention towards them has a lot to do with our encouragement.

Peter Roby is a prime example of someone who should be leading a Division I Athletic Department. As an idealist, I was inspired by his ideas and the measures he takes to keep his athletes in line for their benefit. While he was speaking of all his valiant ideals that he instills to create a culture, it made me sad to think that even with everything he does, some kids will never assimilate. I agree with him in that it is the parents to blame for some of the behaviors and how they were brought up. This goes back to my point about professional athletes that were recruited from the streets and thrown into an environment where they are studied under a magnifying glass.

On the other hand, there are over-privileged kids that go into college or the pros getting away with anything they want and continue their selfish behaviors and that is the fault of society for allowing them to do so. In both cases, there are always exceptions and those are the athletes that stand out and become successful. Changing aspects of a persons life that they have been brought up to know and that have been engrained in them is no easy task and I salute Roby and Naylor for their guidance and their core values that may upset both society and the player, but are for the best because sometimes the hardest decisions are for the best.

“Sport is wonderful and horrible,” said Naylor, “We live in a shade of grey and which says a lot about our willingness to put up with it and we don’t make the difficult decisions. It is tough to lead.”

This statement really hit home with me and it is so important for anyone who’s job it is to guide athletes. Coaches and authority figures such as Roby are some of the strongest influences in the lives of athletes and it is important they feel the loyalty to those people rather than to opinions of society, no matter where they were from. Without their ability to make difficult decisions (cough Roger Goodell), the integrity of sport would diminish. Even though society feeds off of stories like Ray Rice’s, stories like the 1980 Olympic Hockey team are what make sports so important to us and the public must remember that.

Kelly Landrigan posted on March 3, 2015 at 7:52 pm

This past seminar has actually been my favorite of the series so far. It was refreshing to have such a macro discussion about the role that sports play in our society today. As most people may have figured out, I am also taking Professor Naylor’s “Psychology of Sport” class this semester. I thought it would help me gain a better understanding of what is going through the mind of the athletes that I cover, as I have never been much of an athlete myself. To that extent, it has. However, I am just as confused about sports and its role in society as I was before.

This seminar brought about a lot of reflection on stories that we’ve seen just within this past year, from Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson to Johnny Manziel and Jack Eichel. What I find so fascinating is how society chooses which athletes to criticize and which athlete to let slip under the rug. Clearly, with those four cases, it was easy to be critical of the type of behavior and judgment each athlete displayed. However, a few weeks ago, I got into a heated discussion on the behavior of NFL players off the field on my butv10 show “Offsides.” I asked the analysts on the segment how Johnny Manziel’s behavior (partying) was any different than that of Rob Gronkowski or Julian Edelman. Now, I’m not saying those two players behave to the extent that Manziel does, but no one seems to be criticizing their behavior. In fact, fans in and outside of New England seem to praise them and want to see what escapades those guys will get into next. To me, if we as a society are going to be critical of one player’s behavior, that needs to be applicable across the board.

Maybe I’m slightly hypocritical here, because I was a bit defensive during our discussion of the Eichel situation. He is a college student, so I give him a pass in the sense that I haven’t always displayed the best judgment either. However, I think it is a shame that BU did not take a punishing approach in this situation. While he definitely was not the only underage member of the team drinking, he was the most high-profile one, and he needs to act more responsibly. Because society puts athletes on such a high pedestal, the program must take steps to make sure he doesn’t put himself in those comprising situations.

Nick asked how we break this cycle of making athletes larger than life. I think the answer lies in our treatment of youth athletics (as Dylan mentioned) and in making athletes more well-rounded (as Peter Roby mentioned). The concept of youth athletics terrifies me. People always joke around that I’m going to become that “crazy sports mom,” which makes me pretty upset. Would I love to have children who become professional athletes? Sure, but only if they are truly happy and passionate about it. In Naylor’s psychology class, we touch upon athlete motivation a lot, and it’s sad to see how many athletes fall out of love with sports because they simply can’t handle the pressure placed on them to play. In my own family, I had to watch my 13-year-old cousin and his parents make some difficult decisions throughout his athletic career. He began playing flag football at 4-years-old, and unfortunately sustained a concussion. It was difficult to watch his parents make the decision to not allow him to play anymore. He still loves football, but knows he cannot play. My cousin then focused his attention on baseball, and plays quite competitively now. However, last year, he sustained his fourth concussion because of a freak accident that occurred while he was catching. He was out of school and athletics for months, and to this day, he still suffer severe migraines. However, because of his love of the game, he still plays baseball, but you’ll never see him behind the plate. I applaud his parents for letting him make the decision himself, but it worries me to still see the effects he is suffering from. I think he’s dealing with a lot of pressure to continue playing from external forces (friends, school, and ultimately, society).

If we as a society could take the pressure off of the youth when it comes to athletics and bring back the fun, we could slowly start to see a change over the years. I loved Roby’s passionate speech about how as educators (at every academic level) we owe it to the athletes to provide them with more than just a platform or team to play for. Athletes at any level should be interested in activities outside of sports because only two percent of collegiate athletes go on to play sports professionally. Maybe if the other 98 percent of former collegiate athletes entered the “real world” with a strong sense of passion in something outside of athletics, our societal view of athletes and the standards we hold them to would change slowly too.

Sara Varela posted on March 3, 2015 at 8:18 pm

It doesn’t matter whether it’s a musician or an athlete, a concert or a game, when I’m marketing I just want the amount of tickets available to be zero the day of the event. I care about the behavior of the person or group I’m marketing, but I know the fan doesn’t think about anything but the musician’s new single or the athlete’s home run. Society has a funny way of making people and details seem more important than they are in reality. During one of our seminars, someone mentioned how none of this really matters, and I think it’s important to remember that sports don’t matter but society always will. Every society has to ask itself, whether it wants better players or better people and in an attempt to answer that, society has separated athletes from those deemed too normal to be unique.

Society breeds athletes to be the best at their sport not people who will be able to function outside of the game, and that’s a problem I think is finally being noticed. When you look at the actions the NBA, NFL, and MLB have taken to reduce issues concerning drugs, racial tensions, domestic violence, and general violence, the measures should be applauded for being a part of the organizations’ values. It’s more of an issue how the values are presented and implemented. The rules make the athlete ask, is it wrong because I’m an athlete or because I’m a person? That’s a detail society and the organizations don’t always clarify. I believe society and sports are moving toward a better place, we just have to give it time.

Concerning the Eichel incident, I was surprised to hear how many people were disappointed with his actions after BU won the Beanpot tournament. It wasn’t the outrage, the murmurs of could have/should have, or the facts of the situation, I was surprised that a young adult, by government standards, was being judged so harshly for doing something that a parade of professional football players did on a much larger scale, in front of a national audience after a national achievement. Where was the mass disapproval and concern when Gronkowski was chugging beer in front of high school students and tearing his clothes on the dance floor? I was disgusted by the way some of the Patriots players acted and how Gronkowski was praised by websites and audiences for being a party animal. I don’t know if it’s the college v. professional aspect or the fact the Patriots are grown men, but I’m curious as to why there is such a difference in opinion on how athletes should be perceived and treated when at different career levels. I think what is wrong for one athlete to do should be wrong for another.

This seminar is one that raises a lot of questions society is trying to figure out how to answer. As sports loving members of society, it’s important that we acknowledge the good and the bad of each sport and do what we can to bring about change whether it means appealing to the athlete or to management. With the many issues sport organizations faced recently, the organizations are managing the best they know how. It takes a lot to change a sport’s society, especially when a larger one looms over it.

Josh Schrock posted on March 3, 2015 at 10:00 pm

When Charles Barkley said that he wasn’t “paid to be a role model,” I believe he made a great point that he was unjustly criticized for. Athletes are held to a higher standard because they are in the public eye on a nightly basis, but at the end of the day sports are there to entertain us. I have always believed that sports are an important tool that can be used to teach us many things about ourselves and about life. But, I also think for the most part that the learning ends, when you leave the game. When we leave the sports we love and become observers, then the main benefit we get out of athletics is entertainment. At its very basic core, sports are played because they are fun. That’s why each one of us picked up that club or started dribbling the ball, because we enjoyed it. Athletics has become such a huge cash cow over the past 25 years that the concept of sports as fun and entertainment has been forgotten. As the money has flowed in youth sports has mutated into a 365-day treasure hunt for the elusive college scholarship. When Adam Naylor said, “they are just like us,” he was absolutely right. They started playing their sport because it was fun for them too at a young age and it just turns out that their god given talents and drive were better than our own. I think that athletes should be valued for their talents, but it’s unfair to hold them to a higher standard than the rest of us. Some athletes are role models, there’s no doubt about that but they are so because of what they exhibit off the field not what they do on it. I believe anyone with an inspiring story and good work ethic can be a role model. I think society feels a necessity to justify the attention and money that athletics gets and therefore they try to justify it with a higher meaning. So as a society we decided to put athletes on a pedestal and treat them differently in the hopes that they would justify the focus we put on an activity that is meant for entertainment. On a fundamental level, I don’t see any difference from Jack Eichel partaking in underage drinking and the pre-med student who does the same. I think that Eichel, or any star athlete should know that they have a responsibility to themselves to know that the ramifications of their actions will be more immediate and severe than a normal civilian. It’s absurd to hold someone to a different standard just because they play hockey or football. They are just as likely to make the same mistakes that everyone else does and should be judged accordingly. As Peter Roby was talking about you have to let them make mistakes and when they do they should be held accountable but they also deserve a second chance if they learn from their mistake. They are just like us.

Pat O'Rourke posted on March 3, 2015 at 10:39 pm

As Adam Naylor mentioned, these athletes are no different from us. In other words, they’re human too. They just happen to have a God-given skill that we don’t possess.

The dominating topic of our discussion prior to Naylor and Peter Roby joining us was the videos of Jack Eichel following the Beanpot. After class, I thought deeply about the Eichel incident (snap-gate?) and I recalled something BU mens hockey coach David Quinn said in the presser following the Terriers Beanpot semifinal win over Harvard:

‘Sometimes we forget Jack is an 18-year-old kid.’

Of course, Quinn was referring to Eichel’s on-ice play not off-ice transgressions, but in the context of our discussion, there’s truth to that statement. And it draws right back to what was discussed Thursday night.

Eichel is an 18-year-old college freshman (who should be a senior in high school, mind
you) who has a skill-set that some might argue we’ve never seen from an American hockey player. Outside that, he’s no different than any other kid on campus. He made a mistake that I’m sure he regretted — or at least I hope he regretted — and should’ve learned from it. Whether it was a bad night or a sign of a pattern of behavior is speculation. We’ve all made mistakes, particularly on social media, that have proven to be teaching moments.

That doesn’t excuse Eichel. He needs to be smarter than that with the position he’s in. There are people in Canada who have been waiting months to see these videos and plug it into their lazy ‘American Kids Are Jackasses’ headline. More importantly, he’s currently the face of Boston University. He represents a proud college hockey program still trying to polish its image after the sexual assault arrests and investigation during the 2011-12 season.

Like Eichel, the athletes we like to prop up as heroes are human beings. They have flaws. They make mistakes.

Growing up, I listened to The Big Show with Glen Ordway on WEEI on a daily basis. One thing Ordway would always say about athletes was these are ‘good guys at what they do for a living’. In other words, being a good athlete doesn’t make you a good father, husband, or citizen. It means you have an athletic ability 99 percent of the population doesn’t have. I couldn’t agree with that more. That’s not to say there aren’t good people who are good athletes, but we shouldn’t pigeonhole ourselves to the faulty premise that some guy who can shoot a basketball or hit a baseball should be raising our kids.

Like Charles Barkley said, ‘I’m not a role model’. If it weren’t for the NFL, we would never know who Adrian Peterson is. If it weren’t for the NBA, LeBron James would be just another guy.

That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t follow sports. We should appreciate these athletes for what they are (good athletes) and what we’re watching for what it is (unscripted drama, as COM grad and Globe columnist Chris Gasper calls sports). I think that’s why we see record ratings and revenue in the NFL despite the year from hell the league has had. People look at the NFL the way they look at a garden, they see the beautiful plants blossom but disregard the worms that are crawling underneath. Should that be our thought process? Again, it’s why we’re having this discussion.

But at the end of the day, we need to look at sport for what it is — a game being played not by model citizens, but model athletes.

Karly Finison posted on March 4, 2015 at 11:48 am

I’ve never had such an in depth discussion about the relationship between sports and society prior to this seminar and thought both Adam Naylor and Peter Roby provided unique points of view.

We can explore whether sports is a function of society or visa versa all semester but I don’t think the answer is clear cut. There are so many factors going into this, one of which is education. When Roby said, athletics have the potential to be an equalizer in society, he alluded to the fact that education is the real equalizer. However, this is often forgotten in this day and age of high school athletics, club sports, offseason workouts and clinics, and greater pressure to earn a college scholarship.

I loved high school basketball but I didn’t have the same enthusiasm for AAU (offseason club basketball). By playing AAU, basketball became a year long commitment and though practices and games often conflicted with my school schedule and were inconvenient for my parents, I still played because I didn’t want to miss the opportunity to be seen by college coaches. I didn’t want to do it, but still did it. I believe this is a microcosm of what goes on in the world of professional sports daily.

I neither condone domestic violence, nor am in support of Adrian Peterson beating his four-year-old son but I still watched NFL games throughout the fall and tuned into the Super Bowl last month. It’s a vicious cycle that I’m not sure will ever be broken.

Roby talked a lot about his college basketball coach using basketball as a way to instill values beyond the Xs and Os of basketball itself. As many of my peers have stated, it’s obvious that he is using those ideas today with the athletes he works with at Northeastern. He holds them to extremely high standards, which he should, because even he admitted they’re “different.”

I talked with some of my friends about the Jack Eichel incident and many thought the whole situation was blown out of proportion. They thought Eichel was doing what any other 18-year -old would do in college and shouldn’t be punished.

With that said, I keep going back to what Roby said. College athletes are different, whether they want to be or not. They not only represent a team, they represent a university. And on such a big stage like the Beanpot Championship, their actions will undoubtedly be put under the microscope and reviewed. To me, it’s the price they pay for being “different.”

Katie Peverada posted on March 4, 2015 at 12:52 pm

I am a firm believer that sports are one of the most important social institutions. A a social institution, as defined by the book “Human Behavior in the Macro Social Environment” is “any structure of social order and cooperation that governing the behavior of a set of individuals within a given human community.” Is that not the world of sports? Just as we see business in sports, we see sports in business. We use social institutions to structure our daily lives and, as such, I would argue a large percentage of the population structures their lives with sports.

But Professor Shore is right. Most of the time, we only talk about sports and its role in our culture when something goes wrong. Football, in just this past year, has made society discuss everything from hazing to domestic abuse to concussions. Soccer, more recently, has made us confront racism (Chelsea) and domestic violence (Hope Solo). That the discussions and issues are happening in every sport – from America’s most popular to a game that’s still growing in the States – is not a coincidence. Sport can build character, yes, but it can also encourage bad character when winning supersedes all other considerations. It’s happening because it’s a social institution made up of players, coaches, fans, parents and administrators. It’s now its own society.

Maybe I’m cynical, but I think Eichel should have been punished; I think everyone from Tanya Harding to Joe Paterno should be punished. If you break the rules, you have to pay the consequences. Pat said in his comment that sport is a game being played by model athletes, not model citizens. I disagree, they are citizens who should follow the rules. BUT, unfortunately, as AD Roby said, teams and players are a function of the society from which they were born, and unfortunately sport is now a society itself.
I don’t know if sports have always been taken so seriously, but I definitely think the argument that “sport is just a game” is slowly loosing merit. We, as a society, have reached the point where we take the institution of sport very seriously and maybe even too seriously. Sports mirror the human experience in terms of taking risks (as you would in business); sports mirror society in that it has racism and sexism and greed; sports give people the ability to identify with something larger than oneself. Which is where I have the biggest issue, because I think sports stifle moral reasoning as athletes get older (and as the article from Blackboard on NBA arrests actually upkeeps).

That is something I struggle with. I wrestle between athletes being just people in our society versus athletes being people in another society. I talked to Mr. Roby about the proposed changes in the one-and-done rules. He and Professor Naylor had said during the conversation that it’s important to get an education and to have dual identities for when sports are over. I asked Roby what he thought about people not being skeptical of Mark Zuckerberg leaving school early. He told me that hey, what’s right for him is right for him. What’s right for a basketball player may be to leave early – you don’t want to push someone to do something they don’t want to. If it was a bad decision there will be consequences and they will learn from it, just as in ANY type of social institution.

My ranting about sport being a society that has grown too big for itself is done. So, let’s not forget the power that sport has. Maybe that’s why we’ve let it become what it is, why we let some of those athletes “get away with it.” Professor Naylor said that sport has the potential to be an equalizer, and undoubtedly it does. One of thousands of examples is the 1966 NCAA Basketball Tournament, when Texas Western started 5 African-Americans to beat Kentucky, who started none. Texas Western helped equal the playing field. It sent a powerful message for the Civil Rights movement. Sport is powerful.

I mean, what else could get Marshawn Lynch – he of few words – to teach Turkish women how to play American football ( http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/02/women-football-turkey-_n_6781756.html?cps=gravity_3914_7161061708138117023 ) ?

So maybe that’s why we let all the bad stuff happen within social institutions (Bernie Madoff…Ray Rice…the Catholic Church scandals…), because something good (a lesson, a moment) is going to come out of it somewhere.

Nick Garrido posted on March 4, 2015 at 3:51 pm

“It’s a mess” perfectly summarizes the relationship between sports and society. Sports should not come before society. Unfortunately, like Nick Picht said, I don’t think any program in Division One runs a clean program.

I was an athlete that struggled with my mental mindset and emotions all throughout my tennis career. I was the athlete that loved it too much and thought about it way too hard. That led to my downfall, as when i went on the tennis court during tournaments, I constantly over thought everything and made a complete mess out of most of my tennis matches.

Looking back if i had someone like Adam Naylor guiding me through my junior career, I probably would have had better results. Athletes now these days are expected to put 100 percent into the sport they play in and it can be their downfall. The discussion about five year old kids on traveling teams was fascinating. The Larry Sanders case comes to mind when you think about professional athletes being burnt out. The pressure on athletes now these days is enormous and will only continue to get worse.

In my opinion, this seminar was important to me for two main reasons. You have to understand as a journalist that sometimes athletes are under enormous amounts of stress and if you go in there guns blazing in the locker room after a tough loss that they’re not going to be receptive to answering your questions. A lot of college athletes practice twice a day between workouts and actual field practice as well as going to class and doing anything they need to succeed in their classes. It’s a lot to handle.

Another thing that hit home to me, not necessarily because we talked about it so much in the seminar but because it made me think about it so much was the state of NCAA Division 1 Athletics. If you turn on the news, its some popular institution in the news for the wrong reasons, whether its North Carolina, Penn State, or most recently Syracuse. Schools are all about the win now approach.

It’s hard to blame them because winning makes money. The more successful their schools are in sports, the more applications prospective students send in, and the more boosters that the school can possibly receive. There are certain programs that will do whatever it takes to put out a winning team. And for head coaches, they are simply scared to sit their best player down after a possible misdeed because it could cost them a game and maybe down their road, that loss can cost them their job.

Quite simply, this is a flat out mess and while I can sit here and come up with possible solutions to fix all this, it won’t help because sports is a money making machine and it’s all about the money.

Conor Ryan posted on March 4, 2015 at 8:16 pm

Being an athlete — whether it be on the professional level or in a Division-I college setting — certainly seems like a double-edged sword.

Yes, if you sink the game-winning jumper or net the clinching goal in overtime, you’re elevated to a superhuman level, praised for your clutch play and adored by many. But one slip-up — even a minor one — can undo many things, even if the offense is relatively minor.

While Marcus Smart and Zach Trotman acknowledged in their seminar that athletes and ordinary people are really not that different — I mean, we’re all made up of the same flesh and blood, right? — the pressures of society, especially in regards to sports, make such a claim essentially incomprehensible.

Angling this towards sports journalism as a whole, the biggest takeaway from this past seminar revolves around the fact that society’s attitude towards athletes is simply unfair.

In some ways, I look at the society’s perception towards athletes in the same vein as a scout might look at an NFL offensive lineman: You only notice them if they aren’t doing their job. If an athlete that is either paid professionally or earns a collegiate scholarship is doing his/her job and succeeding on the field, than it’s the accepted status quo.

However, at the slightest hint of failure, whether it be a lack of production on the stat shoot or a simple mistake off the field, the rabble quickly emerges and criticism is thrown out from seemingly every angle.

As Katie mentioned above, Prof. Shorr nailed it when he said that the only time that people really talk about sports and culture is when something goes wrong. Society has little regard for when an athletes excels on the field —that’s their job; that’s what they’re here for. However, when an athlete ends up in the spotlight for something related outside of their sport, that’s when it becomes a story.

Certain discretion should be noted by athletes, however, with common sense being the logical way out of many unfortunate scenarios that athletes get themselves into. However, it’s still unfortunate that athletes are held to a higher level than others when it comes to even the slightest infractions.

Sports and society are forever linked, and that’s no necessarily a bad thing. For every negative case of sports clashing into society, such as the O.J. Simpson murder trial, Tonya Harding case and BALCO investigations, there are also triumphs such as the Miracle on Ice and the 1995 South Africa rugby team.

This link will not break anytime soon. Are athletes faced with unfair and even unobtainable standards set down by society? Based on both Naylor and Roby’s words, I would say yes.

It might not be a fair to these athletes, but then again, few standards set down by society really are. If anything, as a sports journalist, this seminar hit home the fact that while most people are told that it’s “just a game,” that’s far from the case for these athletes. A sobering and respectful reality, for sure.

Lee Altman posted on March 4, 2015 at 10:24 pm

The seminar this past Thursday caused me to reflect on the state of fandom. More specifically, I wondered why fans are fascinated with the negative aspects of sports. We crave the violence of football and hockey, the rebelliousness of basketball, and the diva-like superstardom of baseball. Adam Naylor put it well when he said “what we [fans] like to watch and see is what we get.” He said that fans “lust” for “big hits.” As much as it pains me to say this, I agree with him.

An even bigger problem is that when the final whistle blows and the game ends, this “lust” carries on outside the lines. The idolization of sports figures is prominent throughout the United States. Peter Robey said that athletes need to “recognize they have a platform, [and] have the ability to change the cultural norms.” Players such as Lebron James and Tom Brady are put on pedestals as heroes and models of society. They are emulated on playgrounds, basketball courts and football fields. With all of the attention athletes receive; there is also a negative flipside. Harvard Law Professor Jon Hanson, and Mississippi College of Law Professor Michael McCann, analyzed the vilification of athletes in their article, “The psychopathology of athlete worship.” The article discussed the widespread condemnation of former college football star Maurice Clarret. The authors ask why fans and journalists love hating athletes. The answer, they posit, is that humans have a “subconscious craving to believe that our world is just… [When] our villains are “bad guys” who make “bad choices, that craving is satisfied… If someone fails, he has no one but himself to blame.”

I will admit that I have been guilty of this lust. In high school, I used to regularly read Matt Taibi’s weekly column in the Boston Phoenix. Although Taibi’s snarky writing style was appealing, it was the stories he covered that I found most interesting. Taibi wrote about crime in sports. And I couldn’t get enough of it.

The content of Taibi’s blotter reflected the worst sports had to offer. The articles were not individually groundbreaking, but the collection spoke to a growing trend within sports. They dived beneath the polished surface and revealed a darker underside that was unfamiliar to me as a young fan. On the shallowest level, I enjoyed the articles because of the humorous way they were framed. It was not until I was a college student that I began to realize that these articles were not as funny as I originally thought they were. I also began to realize that the athletes I idolize are not paragons; they are regular human beings. Taibi’s final article for the Phoenix, titled “Down, Lineman,” from September 2010, punctuated his body of work. The article reflected on a trend of “Clockwork Orange-style home invasions” committed by College athletes, concluding with the arrest of Tyler Patrick Thomas, a lineman on the Oregon State football team.

An excerpt from the story: “It seems the [32-year-old] woman had discovered the 19-year-old lineman in her house, drunk and buck naked, and naturally called the cops. When they arrived, Thomas was ordered to get on the floor. He refused, and instead reportedly dropped into a three-point football stance and prepared to charge the officers. There’s no word on who provided the snap count, but at some point Thomas lunged at police, who lit him up with a gazillion volts of Taser juice, then dragged his idiot ass to jail.”

The pool of college athletes feeds into the professional leagues so it is only natural that professional athletes also commit crimes. Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, and Greg Hardy are only the most recent “villains.” For all of the crimes that are reported on, there are undoubtedly countless instances that never breach the public stratosphere. Overall, there are too many cases to simply call them isolated incidences or even a general coincidence.

It is easy for fans to say that these athletes are simply bad guys who make bad choices. This sentiment removes fans from any responsibility. In reality, however, the situation is a lot more complicated. Fans, coaches, and journalists influence these players more than we might think. Naylor made the point that fans “don’t protect our athletes,” and even “tacitly push them.” Naylor said that many athletes he works with suffer from mental health issues. He encourages them to get help but often they do not because fans have created a culture where athletes believe that seeking help makes them “soft.” All of the stake holders in the sports world, on every level from elementary school recreation leagues to the professional leagues, need to come together and as Robey put it, “create the seeds of culture, reinforce it… and hopefully it will become embedded in our culture.”

Joe Weil posted on March 4, 2015 at 11:31 pm

I really couldn’t agree more with what Dylan said above about society’s attitude towards athletes. It doesn’t matter if it’s baseball, football, basketball, hockey, etc.: Athletes are held to a higher standard, with flaws, in some ways, just simply not computing with most members of society.

It’s an unfortunate situation that society as a whole puts on athletes, especially those who are rising up through the college ranks. If you’re in the news for something other than your highlights, then bad news is almost certainly not far behind.

For young athletes in high school or college, the pressure set down by society to perform can be crushing, as the expectations to perform and improve at all costs taking these athletes away from the growth and lessons that is afforded to other people growing up in society.

As Peter Roby noted, the top takeaway for college athletes during their tenure at school should be the same lessons that every person gains: maturing and learning from your mistakes as you take that next big step through life. Most of us have had mistakes or incidents during our time here at BU that we might not be proud of, but that’s part of the learning process. We learn from our mistakes and move on. Unfortunately, this isn’t the case for athletes.

Like it or night, Jack Eichel will probably have to answer questions about underage drinking and poor usage of social media throughout this summer as the NHL Draft approaches. Even to this day, Celtics guard Marcus Smart still gets questions about his shoving incident with a fan during his time at Oklahoma State.

Nobody is perfect, that’s for sure, but these athletes can do little but sit back and listen as their past mistakes or choices are repeated over and over to them.

This isn’t saying that someone like Eichel isn’t at fault for what happened to him. After all, the team shouldn’t have gone to such an open spot like T’s Pub to celebrate a Beanpot win. But at the same time, it shouldn’t be a shock that an 18-year-old superstar athlete had a few beers while his whole team was doing the same thing.

Such an explanation has little merit when athletes are brought into the picture. It isn’t fair to these athletes, but they unfortunately have to get used to it. These standards don’t seem likely to change anytime soon.

Alex Hirsch posted on March 5, 2015 at 8:00 am

The thing that made the biggest impression on me is where to draw the line? The media has a job to do in telling the truth, but it is not the media’s job to have a smear campaign. As Keiko Tally mentioned in her comments, there was a discussion about whether we should mention Jack Eichel and him drinking. Where is the line? And is mentioning Eichel crossing that line?

I think it is important to look at both sides of the situation. Eichel is college kid, 18 years old, and was partying after winning the Bean Pot. When stated just like that, without any context, then there is nothing wrong with it. Eichel is no different from any other 18 year old and there would be no conversation. But, because Eichel is the face of Boston University Hockey and perhaps even college hockey, does he need to be held to higher standard?

I think the answer is yes, but that does not mean for everything. Plenty of college kids smoke marijuana, and if there was video of Eichel getting high, then I believe that is something that needs to be reported on. But, video of Eichel drinking…you have to keep it in context. The man just won the Bean Pot! And in this day and age, it would be nearly impossible for Eichel to drink anywhere without getting filmed by a phone. So, what is he supposed to do? Party alone? No, he deserves to celebrate. The media should not be criticizing a teenager for doing something that they already know he does, but because it is out in the open it’s time to do a story on it. That does not seem right. We like him when he does something great and tear him down when he does something bad. Well, in this case, the something bad was really actually just normal and he should not be torn down for it.

As Peter Roby said, these kids need to make mistakes. That is how they will learn. Now, I am not saying what Eichel did is not a mistake. I am just saying he should not be torn apart for it. His coach or athletic director should talk him to, so that he can learn from his mistake. But, if the outside world wants to take this fraction of a moment and use it to judge the life of an 18 year old, that can be very damaging to the growth of a person, especially one in the limelight like Eichel.

I mentioned Tu Holloway from Xavier University in class. He had only one slip up in school and it completely changed him forever. We are talking about a student that no longer found the game of basketball fun, and that was partially the media’s fault for tearing the kid to shreds after one mistake. The media judged and labeled him and honestly never knew him. It is fascinating and sad what happened to Tu. Here is an article about him that explains what happened and what the media did wrong.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7554506/xavier-musketeers-tu-holloway-finds-difficult-restore-image-game-brawl-college-basketball

The media crossed the line in this situation and it worries me that they may do the same with Eichel. The only problem is, do we only know where the line is once we cross it?