Where Your Story Starts

The best thing about talking to a sports journalist is that everyone has the same story…not exactly the same, of course, but without exception everyone remembers their first job, their first break, their first smile…Mine came in grad school while researching a story about cable television at Malden Cablevision, a local origination station (LOS) tucked in behind the Boston Gas office on Pleasant Street…an unlikely place to start for sure but an invaluable experience…

The athletes and coaches couldn’t believe someone wanted to shoot their games, talk to them, record their highlights…and so it was, that they excused my mistakes, glossed over my bow ties and laughed along with me as we made history together….

And that’s what every newcomer has in store…that place where you go from “nobody” to “Everybody knows your name” 

Alex Corddry from Boston’s WHDH TV and Jeff Kolb, working out of WJAR TV in Providence, were newcomers once and now that they are plying their trade in New England, to a degree, they are again…Jeff grew up in Rhode Island and always wanted to come home…Alex tells the story of writing Executive Sports Producer Koon Lam at CH7 years before she ever got here, looking for advice on her “reel” and how she could improve… both knew this was where they wanted to be but had to go elsewhere first…They were guests at the Boston University Sports Journalism Seminar Series recently….

Jeff cut his teeth in Alpena, Michigan, market number 208 (out of 210 markets registered)…Now that’s SMALL!….but Jeff was lucky, he had a mentor there, someone who wasn’t threatened by the kid wet behind the ears: “When you’re looking at the small market, if you have any say in it, I would say if there’s any opportunity to be with someone who has been there 20 years, go for it”…I said to myself “I still need to learn, so I can learn from someone or am I just going to go there and do it however it comes out and not have that teacher?…they know more than you.”…smart thinking…He made his mistakes, tuned his game and made the jump…

For Alex, her first job came in familiar surroundings…She was a student at the University of Alabama when she started covering the Tide football program…She understood the significance, knew the “players” so to speak…Alex was way ahead of Jeff on their first day…

But both faced the daunting task of, first of all, being accepted, and then proving themselves…That might be the most important thing that happens at a first job…”If you carry yourself with professionalism, come in there prepared, show them you’re working hard, they’re gonna hear your questions, they’re gonna get to know you, says Corddy…For the first while I just kinda sat back and took it all in, enjoyed it…But it was definitely coming at me all at once and sometimes that’s the best way to learn, when you’re thrown into the fire like that.”

Corddy went from covering Alabama football to reporting on the Washington Redskins, easily two of the most rabid beats in the country…In a sense Alabama prepared her for Washington …And in turn, Washington set her up for Boston….that’s what you want as you move up the ladder…”You can’t think about it(being new) and always focus on doing your job and being prepared…Make sure you work harder than anyone else”, she maintains…And Corddy shared a little tidbit, a secret of sorts with the students: “I’ve gotten to know a lot of the writers and so, as much as you want to listen to the players, hear what they’re(writers) saying, you’re doing your homework getting to know them and getting to know the beat reporters on these teams and building a rapport with them…you can ask them questions too.”

Chances are pretty good you’ve never been to Cheyenne, WY, (market #197) or Idaho Falls, ID (#163) or Wausau, WI (#134) but you’d better be all smiles when the call comes…You want to start YOUR story and page one gets written when you become  the New Kid On the Block…whether you get a top ten hit like they did might just depend on you taking Alex Corddy and Jeff Kolb’s advice…

Nicholas Picht posted on March 16, 2015 at 2:27 pm

I think this seminar was by-far the best of the series to this point. Both guests were incredibly relatable and willing to share their knowledge with us. So far in the series, most of our guests have shared stories about working in the trenches, so to speak, in order to rise to where they are now. We’ve also heard countless stories from Frank and other journalism professors at Boston University about paying their dues and being willing to spend some time in these lesser markets. We’ve all heard it before. But, with Alex and Jeff, it felt real for me. It felt like something that could actually happen. I can get a job and I can rise through the ranks to work in a big market, because the tangible evidence was right in front of me. I have taken notes all series, and with this class, I did not have one note written – that’s how engulfed I was.

I think one of the most interesting parts of last Thursday’s seminar was the fact that Alex, during her time in Boston, has never really felt weird being one of the only women in a professional locker room. And the more I thought about it, the reason why she never felt weird is probably the way she carries herself. She really gave off an air of confidence and that’s probably part of the reason why she’s working here in Boston at such a young age. I can just tell from the way she holds herself that she knows she belongs, and that kind of attitude is one that we all can emulate once we get in the field.

As for Jeff, it almost seems like a dream come true to come home and work for his home station. That being said, I could see the drive in his eyes for more. I could tell that he likes working at home, but still wants to be in the limelight in a bigger market; and that would involve leaving home behind once again. To be able to see past the comforts of your home to strive for more is another quality we as students should look to emulate when we enter the business.

The final piece of this seminar that resonated with me was the quote by Alex. It read, “You’re never too good to roll up a cable.” Those words mean so much more than rolling up a cable after a shoot. They are a mindset – you are never too good at your job to be a good person. Our two guests have risen up the ranks quite quickly, and sometimes, quick success gets in the head of a young professional. But Alex and Jeff couldn’t have been any more of an embodiment of Alex’s quote. It was inspiring to be around young people who are not only quite good at their jobs, but also great people as well.

Kelly Landrigan posted on March 16, 2015 at 11:30 pm

The “Newcomers” seminar gave me a big reality check. In less than two months, I’ll be a college graduate, and I really should start thinking of where I’ll get MY start in the news industry. Now, don’t think I’m naive and haven’t been thinking about this all year. It’s been especially difficult to not become stressed over this timeline because I often look around at my friends in other BU colleges, such as the School of Management or College of Arts & Sciences, to find that they have job contracts already signed. What was refreshing about this seminar was hearing from people closest to our age who are working in the industry I hope to break into very soon. Sure, each of our guests every week offer great advice when it comes to preparing ourselves for the job market. However, Nick touched upon how relatable Alex Corddry and Jeff Kolb were, and I couldn’t agree with him more.

Neither guest sat there and sugarcoated anything about this business. They reaffirmed how hard it is to make a name for yourself, but their advice also gave me hope. Both seem to work hard and put forth their best effort with each opportunity that comes their way. It made me reassess the effort I’ve been putting into my work. We’re all extremely lucky to attend school in such a thriving sports market, and I know I should try and take advantage of every opportunity that comes my way.

As Nick also pointed out, Alex mentioned that you’re never too big to do the “little things,” such as rolling up a cable. Besides taking her advice the way Nick did, I also tried to take it a step further. As competitive as this industry is, I always try to help out my fellow journalists in whatever way that I can, whether it’s framing a standup or reaffirming a quote. I often get a lot of criticism from my peers because many of them think it eliminates any advantage I may have. However, as Alex and Jeff’s career paths showed us, you never know who you may end up working with, and having some type of connection from the past for whatever reason, is a huge help when you try to break into this industry.

I know over these next few weeks I have a lot of things to consider. Do I want to try the on-air route or make my way up the producer chain? Am I willing to cover any story to get my name out there or am I willing to sacrifice exposure to cover the stories that I find important? I don’t know all of the answers yet, but I am looking forward to getting more advice from people already working in the industry, and trying to better my craft so I can bring any market audience, big or small, the best stories I can produce.

keiko talley posted on March 17, 2015 at 2:40 pm

This seminar was probably the most relatable for all of us. Alex and Jeff gave us a great reality heck as to what to expect when we go out for our first jobs. Clearly we aren’t going to start where we want to ideally be, but as they showed us with a little bit of determination it won’t be long until we get to that ideal position.

Both Alex and Jeff left home and made a huge jump to a strange new place to go after what they wanted which takes a lot of courage. They both showed us that if we want something we are going to have to go after it. If that means picking up our lives and moving 1,000 miles away to some place where we know no one and are forced to make a new life or following around someone that we work with to get more of a feel of what the company wants-we have to go out and just do it.

Another thing they made me realize is how important it is to stand out. In this industry you cant just be a pretty face, nice person, and know about sports. You have to make people remember you. Alex was a prime example of that as in her story with sending Koon Lam her reel years before applying to Channel 7. Now, while that isn’t the only reason Channel 7 hired her it definitely gave her a leg up on the competition. Alex also wasn’t afraid to speak up about her mistakes and what she learned from them, making those mistakes even gave her the confidence to be more friendly and make jokes with the players that she was interviewing.

This business is a lot about personality, but to be noticed you have to have more than that. You have to be willing to stick your neck out there and risk getting shot down. But the best part of this business is if you do stick your neck out and get shot down it only gives you another lesson to learn from and builds your confidence further that you can continue doing a good job where you are to land that ideal position in the near future.

Alex Hirsch posted on March 17, 2015 at 3:31 pm

Both Alex Corddry and Jeff Kolb provided valuable lessons. These are not only good lessons for one’s career but also for life in general. I try my best to apply most of these lessons in my day-to-day life, but I struggle with applying them to my career. That is why it is important to hear from Alex and Jeff, as they give a wake up call to those, who like me, want to start their career at a number one market, or in other words, the dream world.
Starting in New York City would be like hitting a homerun on my first ever at-bat. Sure, it is possible, but the expectations may be over whelming from then on out. When would I be able to hone my skills? A motto I have always tried to live by is, “A baseball player can take pride in a homerun, but can he take pride in a single, walk, or even a Hit-by-Pitch? Put 110 percent of effort in everything that you do and take pride in the small things, or else you will never take full pride in the big things.” I have always had a hard time applying this to the working world. I always dream big, and that often means I am disappointed in small opportunities, even if they are great and valuable experiences. This needs to change.
You cannot take a low market job for granted. They are not lucky to have you working for them. You are lucky to be working for them, and every day you need to show that you are grateful for that. Jeff took full advantage of a low market job and now he is working in the market of his dreams. Paying your dues is very important in this business. Jeff paid his dues and is now home. And at a young age, that does give me hope that maybe I will not hit a homerun on my first ever at-bat, but I am not that far away from getting the big score.
This summer I will be working in New York City. I feel very fortunate to have this experience. Alex did the same internship when she was at BU, and she told me to soak it all up. As accomplished as she is, she knew she would not get a job with CBS, even after interning with them, and it is important for me to remember that. But, I will be working under and alongside the best of them and will have tons of networking available to me. Like everyone says, you have to start with the small things, and in the end it will pay off.

Sara Varela posted on March 17, 2015 at 7:14 pm

A few of the questions asked during the seminar were about the obstacles and the difficulties of getting and starting your first job, but Alex and Jeff really seemed to brush off any of the negativity in the questions and spoke about how they felt prepared and welcomed by the networks. Having an optimistic attitude about getting a job in a low market might not be the key to success, but it doesn’t seem to hurt your chances.

There are many types of obstacles to overcome on the way to getting the dream job you want, and Alex and Jeff were a good representation of what could possibly happen on the path to getting there. You could be thrown into a world you’ve only experienced as an outsider or be the one with the valuable information. I appreciated how both had a different story and experience getting to their current positions, and how comfortable each was telling us the small details that made every step of the way different. Both worked hard and are still working hard to move up in the industry, and I think it’s really inspiring to see professionals close to my age reaching their goals.

I think it’s important to realize you might have to take unconventional steps or start at a position that doesn’t fit where you see yourself before landing the job you really want. Alex and Jeff both had positions that were nowhere near what they’re doing now, but gained the experience and insight needed to move into their respective markets.

Thinking back on this seminar makes me excited for the job hunt because there are so many possibilities and avenues that can be explored and experienced. It’s hard being young and applying for a job in any industry, but I think the insight from the many professionals we’ve spoken to this semester proves someone out there might be thinking we’re the perfect fit.

Pat O'Rourke posted on March 17, 2015 at 11:32 pm

From competing in athletics right up through my senior year of college, there was one thing that was constantly preached to me — the process.
Like being an athlete — in any sport, at any level — building a career in sports journalism is a process. In order to get where you want to go, you have to respect the process, enjoy the process, and most of all, believe in the process.
Both Jeff Kolb and Alex Corddry are examples of that. Two people who loved what they do and knew what steps needed to be taken to get to where they wanted to go. They believed in the process and are climbing the ranks of the industry at a young age.
Not only does their story give me hope that I can succeed within the industry, but it demonstrates that believing in a process and taking the proper steps will pay dividends, even if it doesn’t seem so at times. It’s all about putting your head down, paying your dues, and proving yourself. As Nick pointed out, Alex said nobody is too good to roll up a cable.
To add on Kelly’s mentioning of how many of our peers in other schools and concentrations are finding jobs, I certainly know that feeling. It’s frustrating, it can be discouraging. But within it, you come to appreciate what you do more because of it. It makes you want it more. Knowing how competitive it is makes you work harder. Having to work jobs outside your field (as I’ve had to) makes you love what you do that much more. When you finally make it — as Jeff and Alex have — the prize is that much sweeter because you had to work so much harder for it. You had to dig deeper, the trials outweighing the triumphs. It’s not dissimilar to the stories we hear from many professional athletes.
I’ve wanted to be a sports journalist since I realized I wasn’t going to be a professional athlete. So needless to say this is something I’ve wanted to do for most of my life. I have a passion for sports, storytelling, and telling people things they hadn’t previously known. As confident as I am in my abilities, sometimes I need that reassurance that I can make it, that I can accomplish my goals. Alex and Jeff gave me that reassurance.

Karly Finison posted on March 18, 2015 at 5:00 pm

As we begin to take the next step in our college or post-graduate careers, it was great to hear perspectives from media professionals new to the scene. I think all of us saw a part of ourselves in Alex Corddry and Jeff Kolb, two people, not many years older than us, who have leveraged their way back into a strong market after gaining experience at other stations.

When I attended the National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ) convention in Boston this summer, I remember Herbert Lowe, director of journalism at Marquette University, telling a group of students, “you’re going to have to leave home.” Sure it made sense then, but it has become even more clear now. And Kolb was a perfect example of this. He left Boston to work in Alpena, Michigan, gained valuable experience and returned to his hometown of Providence, Rhode Island to work at WJAR-TV.

Yet his career path is not something we can expect right out of college. Kolb suggested he was “lucky” to get a job back in Providence. But in addition to luck, Kolb gained skills in Alpena, Michigan that he may not have acquired at a bigger station. Ultimately, he made it clear that his work in Alpena prepared him for WJAR-TV.

It’s obvious journalism has changed immensely over the years. With that, journalism students are graduating with different skill sets than journalists had in the past. This can often create tension between the old and the new, especially when jobs are scarce. Even so, I appreciated when both Kolb and Professor Shorr suggested that we go to a station with a sports producer that has been there for a while. I think in any career, mentors play an important role but Kolb’s story proved there are still veteran journalists out there willing to help and mentor younger journalists.

Corddry spent time reporting on the Washington Redskins, and though she said that experience wasn’t her favorite, it helped her in the long run when she pursued opportunities outside of Washington and at WHDH-TV. Her story reiterated the fact that not every internship or job will be perfect, but it’s up to us to take what we can out of each experience to help us in our future endeavors. And as many of our guests have said this semester, “Be a sponge!”

Josh Schrock posted on March 18, 2015 at 6:38 pm

The “newcomers” seminar was one that really hit home because it touched on what most of us are feeling right now as we get ready to enter the job market. The thought of working in a small town in Michigan or Wyoming covering high school sports isn’t exactly the dream, but it’s a necessary step to get to your dream. Listening to Alex and Jeff discuss how their first jobs allowed them to hone their skills while making mistakes and learning from seasoned journalists showed me the advantages of starting in the smaller markets. I think there’s a natural fear that you are going to leave for a small market and get stuck there for the next 40 years, but Alex and Jeff showed that if you work hard and soak up the lessons of that first experience it is only the first rung of the ladder.

Another lesson I learned from the seminar was how unexpected the path to where you want to get can be. Jeff talked about how he had wanted to be on TV but when he got out of college he didn’t have the reel or the experience, so he took a job as a writer in Michigan to start out, which lead him to take a position as an assignment editor and a couple breaks led to him getting a crack at being on air. It’s important to look at any chance you get at gaining experience as an opportunity that gets you closer to what you want to do no matter how far off the normal path it might be.

I also thought that Alex gave some valuable advice for all of us about what it’s like to be in a new location and how to approach your social life. As many of us have recently experienced, moving to a new city where you don’t know anyone is both exciting and a little scary. I thought Alex’s advice to about the importance of finding friends outside of the office and how to approach that was valuable insight to myself as the time to move again approaches.

Katie Peverada posted on March 18, 2015 at 8:28 pm

In the “Newcomers” seminar with Alex Corddry and Jeff Kolb, I heard a few things that I expected to hear and a few things that I needed to hear.

I expected to hear about the hard work that it takes to “make it” in this business, no matter what avenue I may take. As several people have pointed out in their posts, both Alex and Jeff are where they are now because they weren’t afraid to do that work. For me personally, I needed to hear this for a few reasons. First, I think it shows that it’s not a lost cause. When I tell people what I’m pursuing or when my parents are updating people who ask about me, a common response is “Oh, well what are the job prospects?” Well, they’re what you make them. Jeff took the job in Michigan and Alex took the job in Alabama, not because that’s what they wanted but because they recognized that they could work hard in those places and learn. Another lesson I also took home from the seminar was that it’s all about the people – fans, coworkers, opposition, players, etc.. Alex commented that it is good to be at a place where people (fans) care and have passion, but she also said that every market is a different style. I think it shows that a big part of this job – and being good at it – is understanding your audience and understanding the market in general. Along this people’s line of thought, Jeff even said the biggest thing that he learned in the small market was “dealing with people.” Sure there are times we’re going to rub people (players, interviewees, readers) the wrong way because we have to be tough, assertive or persistently annoying. But as several people brought up, we can’t be afraid to roll up the cord. We can’t be afraid to be what we are – human – in order to get somewhere else fast. In addition to her wise rolling up the cord wisdom, Alex also said “Just be nice when you meet people!” Take Professor’s Shorr’s anecdote about the athletes and coaches being excited for the coverage. They’re just people who have stories to tell, and all (or most) people appreciate honest interest and effort. The same goes for the people you work with. Both Alex and Jeff got to where they are with, as I stated earlier, hard work, but also because they were “likeable” enough to receive help. They sold themselves as people first, and as such received help from their producers, higher-ups, or athletes they interviewed.

In general, this seminar was vital because of how un-distanced Jeff and Alex are from us in terms of schooling/starting the process. It won’t be easy, but I can make it easier on myself by being humble, original, hardworking and honest. Through their hard work and human connections, Jeff and Alex have started down the road towards their respective career goals.

Christina Patracuolla posted on March 18, 2015 at 9:05 pm

As a second semester senior in college that is deep into the job searching process, the ‘Newcomers Seminar’ really hit home for me. Listening to Alex and Jeff was both refreshing and invaluable as they told the stories of their journeys that sounded like a long process, yet are only the beginning of their careers.

I feel like there is a ton of pressure to graduate and get a job with the most well known news sources right off the bat. Alex and Jeff made me realize that you must be realistic and work your way up. At first, I had a pit in my stomach as I listened to them describe their first jobs out of college working for small broadcasting networks that had them do every part of the broadcast themselves and work endless hours for basically no pay. However, as I listened it really sounded like such an awesome experience and I admired their willingness to go anywhere and put in the time and sweat to get where they want to be.

As soon as I became a journalism major after CGS, I knew it would be a struggle out of school to get to where I want to be, but anything you want to be successful at takes this much time and sweat. Alex and Jeff were not easy to relate to, but their stories were informative and inspiring. Week after week, the seminars are preparing me mentally for what is to come as my other journalism classes have built up to prepare me for the work and tedious details necessary to be a reporter.

After the seminar, I asked Jeff one of the main questions that had been running through my head throughout the entire interview- how did you get yourself to move so far away from home to a town where you didn’t know anyone? Without hesitating Jeff said that he wanted to be a broadcasting journalist and he knew that’s what he had to do. He was prepared and willing to do what it took to get to ESPN in the long run or another big network alike. This is why he will be successful and it really hit home when he said that.

I have been worrying about leaving the places where I feel most comfortable, but that’s not what journalism is about. I thought about it and journalism is really about removing yourself from your comfort zone. It all tied together for me after I talked to Jeff about that step in the process and it made me think about how far I must go to make my answer to the most asked question I’ve heard in the past year- where do you want to be in ten years?

Lee Altman posted on March 18, 2015 at 10:46 pm

On-camera sports’ broadcasting is a tough business to break into. There are only 210 registered television markets in the United States. If you assume each market has between one and three sports reporters, that means there are only 630 maximum on-camera sports jobs. If you factor in the established reporters who already hold a majority of these jobs, there aren’t very many openings. Newly minted college graduates aren’t just vying for the same positions, they’re fighting gladiator-style death matches.

To make matters worse, airtime for sports on local newscasts has been declining precipitously in the current digital age. Professor Shorr talked about how he used to get eight minutes of airtime for sports when he was the executive producer at WHDH. Reporters are lucky now if they even get three. With the lack of on-camera sports jobs and the lack of time devoted to sports in local newscasts, an important question to ask is, how newcomers can carve a niche for themselves?

Understanding not only what goes on if front of the camera, but also what goes on behind it can help make newcomers more versatile and in turn more attractive to employers. When Alex and Jeff entered the market they had on-camera experience but also had a basic understanding of production. The value of production skills is more important than ever before. These skills can serve as a foundation to build upon and are useful wherever a reporter goes. As Jeff put it, “You can white balance the same here as you can in Michigan.” Alex discussed her experience as a sports reporter at the University of Alabama where she frequently had to “one-man band” her packages. New technology allows reporters like Alex to head into the field alone and still create a solid product. Jeff said he was “raised” editing his own packages. He believes that “one-man band” reporting is the future of sports’ reporting.

Versatility is a key to making it in the current sports journalism landscape. Reporters who can perform on-camera and write well are more dynamic than their peers. Jeff talked about how he first worked at a newspaper before he got a job as a broadcaster in Michigan. ESPN Reporter Bill Simmons’s rise to fame reflects the value of versatility. George Cain in the article, “The Local Boston Sports Scene in the Information Age,” talks about how Simmons began his career writing for his blog, “‘Boston Sports Guy’ and now [is an] internet sports writing ‘King.’” Simmons moved from his blog to a writing job with ESPN.com. He parlayed his writing experience into television when he became an executive producer of the 30-for-30 series and a star of NBA Countdown. In addition he hosts a podcast called the B.S. Report. Another example of a dynamic journalist is this week’s guest Mike Reiss. Reiss writes articles for ESPN Boston and also appears on shows such as NFL Live. Simmons and Reiss did not limit themselves to one concentration and instead took a broad sweeping approach to sports journalism, and it made both of them more unique.

Nowadays, more reporters are seeking to be versatile. This was the logic behind my decision to major in Mass Communication. There are more ways than ever before for a single reporter to reach a large audience. On-camera experience alone will not separate most newcomers from the pack. The middlemen and gatekeepers of media’s past (television stations, radio stations, etc.) have given way to platforms, such as Twitter and personal websites, which give any journalist a voice. That is why it is imperative for up-and-coming journalists to utilize technological advances to produce multimedia content. From one aspiring journalist to another– put down the microphone; grab a camera, or a notebook and a pen, and head out to the gym or the field. The trait that will separate you from your competition is beckoning.

Conor Ryan posted on March 18, 2015 at 11:44 pm

It’s a daunting task for any young journalist to jump into a new market. Whether you luck out and get a start in a bigger market or are stationed in the middle of nowhere, there are a multitude of challenges waiting for you — whether it’s learning the ropes of your new gig or attempting to fit in with the established staff.

These fears are on the horizon for every soon-to-be graduate, which is what made Alex Corddry and Jeff Kolb’s words both reassuring and eye-opening.

Both journalists hit home the easy keys to success — a positive attitude and flexibility.

If you’re way down on the totem pole, you have to be ready to do a little bit of everything to help your station/paper, whether that be editing video, shooting video, transcribing, etc. Is it burdensome and usually grueling? Yes, but you can’t show that to your superiors.

Corddry noted multiple times that attitude and a willingness to learn has proven to be a key cog in her rise to success over the years. If you put in the work and keep focused on the next step, good things will quickly follow.

These words of wisdom were indeed helpful, albeit a bit humdrum. At this point, we should know the correlation between hard work and success — they’re usually one in the same.

However, Kolb brought up an interesting point when he mentioned, “Don’t be like the people in front of you. … Be different.”

It’s can be easy to follow the status quo and attempt to follow in the footsteps of the people higher than you on the food chain, but in the ever-changing world of journalism, executives and editors don’t want a carbon copy of the same old product.

Hard work is a given in this industry, but for young journalists looking for their first big break, the envelope needs to be pushed in order to make yourself noticed in such a hectic and cutthroat market.

Katharine Huntley-Bachers posted on March 18, 2015 at 11:55 pm

I personally found that this seminar with Alex Cordrry and Jeff Kolb was the most beneficial one to date for making me feel that it is possible to get a job in the field. The most fascinating thing in my mind was that it took both of them a while to even get a job in the field. With graduation coming up in less than two months I’m starting to really panic about not having a job. Even with Alex Cordrry who by the age of 26 is working at market 7, I was surprised to find out that it took her 6 months to find a job. That made me feel that it is alright and acceptable to graduate without having a job immediately lined up.

Another very interesting part of Alex Cordrry’s story was that she got her first job in Birmingham as a photographer. This shows that at times you need to get your foot in the door to reach your goals. I would definitely be willing to try that if I cannot get a job in the position I want.

Jeff and Alex also stressed one of the biggest things that are most important to them at their stations and that is to be nice to everyone. Alex Cordrry went on at length about how it makes your job and your life so much easier if you just treat everyone the correct way. I feel like people get so desperate to climb to the top that some skip out on the social niceties to be the best, when in reality being kind is such a big part of it.

Joe Weil posted on March 19, 2015 at 12:24 am

Both NBC’s Jeff Kolb and WHDH’s Alex Corddry’s message of “apply everywhere, and don’t get discouraged” is something I’ve heard from a lot of professors. But for some reason, it was more soothing to hear it from them. I think that’s probably because not too long ago, there were in the same position we’re in right now. And after listening to how they got their first gigs, it made me realize how important it is to have a positive attitude while looking for jobs post-graduation.

I know that’s cheesy to say, but both of them are prime examples of how important optimism and persistence is in the world of sports broadcasting. As Alex told us, when she first started out she didn’t hear back from a lot of the places she sent her reel to. Jeff meanwhile started at a newspaper even though he wanted to be on TV. But those instances ended up only being blips in the road. And now, both of them are broadcasting in major markets at a young age.

As Billy Jaffe’s stated in the “Athletes in Media” seminar, it’s important to have genuine enthusiasm as a sports broadcasting. You definitely need that, especially when you are starting out. And what was great about these two guest speakers is that, even though their situations weren’t ideal, they loved their first jobs. Alex was beaming when she talked about her first job covering college football. She told us that although she had to shoot and edited her own packages, she really enjoyed doing it. Jeff too spoke positively about covering local sports teams at his first job in Alpena, Michigan. More importantly, both never felt they were too big to do anything, whether it’s working at the assignment desk, shooting everything yourself, coiling cable, etc. That’ll be important to remember as I go into the job market after graduation. My dream is to do play-by-play and do broadcasting on the radio. Whatever first job I get, I’ll remember that I’m not too big to cover any event and that working as hard as possible will go a long way.

But the most noteworthy moment of the seminar for me was the story Alex told about sending her reel to Channel 7 when she was in college. She knew where she wanted to work there, but she wanted some advice on what she needed to get better at. By taking that extra step she got Channel 7 sports producer Koon Lam to look at her reel and keep her in mind going forward. It’s pretty inspiring that only several years later, she’s now one of the sports anchors at that station. Just more proof that going the extra mile helps you stand out amongst the pack. As I continue to put together my reels, I’m going to try to do what she did and send them to employers I hope to work for in the future.

I believe it was Alex who said, “If you work really hard, you become what you want.” These two speakers are on their way there. Hopefully I can say the same thing about myself at their age.

Nick Garrido posted on March 19, 2015 at 12:53 am

I think every single person in this class was looking forward to this seminar because everybody will be in the same position that Jeff Kolb and Alex Corddry were in soon enough. We’re all graduating or close to it.

We’ve all heard it before that you should apply every where and that you should be ready to start anywhere but hearing it first hand from people who quite frankly are not that much older than us definitely hit home.

We saw firsthand why Alex was able to break into such a big market by the way she conducted herself in the seminar and all the work experience she did while she was even still in college and the amount of work and time she put into her jobs after college. I’ve had the experience of working with her at NBC out in the field and everything she said about how to act in a professional setting is how she really does conduct herself. Being nice to everyone and introducing yourself to any one new that you may come across will go a long way. You never know when you may need a favor from someone or may be meeting your’e future employer.

This seminar was important for us because at this point in time, most of us including myself are stressed out about finding our first job or being “that new person in the area”. It’s never easy going to a new area and starting your first job after college. You must be able to conduct yourself in the right manner in order to land a job and be able to keep and maintain it as well as be prepared to start anywhere. We all heard where Jeff started. There’s no doubt in my mind that he will continue moving up television markets.

While a lot of this seminar dealt with being a newcomer, i think taking away what they both said about perfecting what you can while you’re still in college is crucial. If you work hard, you will get that first job. You may get it right away or have to wait six months but theres no substitute for hard work.