JockSpeak

Do you have to be a former athlete (at a high level) to comment on TV, radio and in the media?….Are they the only ones who truly understand what’s happening on the court(field,ice)?…. I think it depends on who you talk to…

For every Boomer Esiason and Jay Bilas there’s a Magic Johnson and Trev Alberts…For every Vince Scully and Al Michaels, there’s a Jim Rome and Skip Bayless…Let’s not even get started on Ray Lewis or Dick Butkus….

Athletes are competitive and when their careers are over it’s sometimes a hard transition, at any level…..Everyone wants one more day, one more game, it’s addicting…For the lucky few who get a media job afterwards, it can be rewarding but at the same time humbling…

At our recent sports  journalism seminar series we were lucky enough to be joined by Ryan Whitney, who played eleven years in the National Hockey League and won a silver medal at the 2010 Winter Games and by Dalen Cuff, a division one basketball player at Columbia University and now a co-host on ComcastSportsnet New England…

Whitney didn’t shy away from the cameras when he played and got to a point where he realized maybe this was something for him…”I always thought I would ask a way better question and in a certain way.  Some guys would just want to answer it and get it over with.  I was just more interested in what they were asking.  Some athletes are like that, some just want nothing to do with it.”…The former B-U star now uses Twitter and the Players Tribune to express himself and share his views and ask those questions himself…

But what about criticism?…Do players expect you, as a former high level athlete, to take it easy on them?…Cuff jumped all over that one; “You can’t hide from anything you say, you’re watching the game, you’re assessing the strengths and weaknesses of what’s going on, on the court.  That person can’t be that mad at you, they know what they did wrong, the coach is gonna tell them too.  I’m just educating the people who are listening to the game because they’re not going to hear all the stuff the coach has to say.”

This past week there was a classic case of “former athlete(s) vs full time reporter right here in Boston…The long time argument that we’ve talked about in class, do you have to be there in the locker room to have a valid voice?…As it turned out, it was two former professional athletes, Lou Merloni and Christian Fauria of WEEI sports tale radio vs. Jimmy Murphy, who covers the Bruins for DirtyWaterMedia, among other internet sites…Here’s some of the back and forth….

Timmy Lagos posted on April 18, 2016 at 11:09 pm

To answer that first question, I’d say it’s a resounding no when it comes to the debate over whether you need to be a former high-level athlete in order to comment on sports in the media.

Does it help? Sure it does. I’m not a high-level athlete by any means but I’ve played long enough and at a number of different levels where I feel that the experience definitely comes into play when I talk about different topics. The same goes for athletes in the media. Of course playing for years is going to help them when speaking about their sport, but just because they are a former athlete doesn’t mean they’re automatically qualified to comment on TV and in the media. You see this time and time again when athletes come on as guests or color commentators during games and talk their sport, and sometimes you wouldn’t even know they’ve played before. As Professor Shorr says, this isn’t always the case and for every athlete that’s a poor analyst there’s one that’s great at the job. But just because you’re an athlete doesn’t mean you are automatically better than a non-athlete working towards the same position.

Going off of that, in terms of the seminar with Dalen and Ryan, while being a former athlete obviously has its upside, I think they both touched on a possible negative effect it could have as well. It has to do with the jargon you develop as an athlete and how you need to learn to get away from that and explain things in a way the casual fan will understand better.

Anytime you play a sport for a long time, no matter what the sport is, you become very familiar with the language and little terms that may be unknown to someone outside the sport. For example, in baseball there are terms such as “defensive indifference” and “fielder’s choice” that any baseball player or serious fan will know what they mean. But to the casual fan, they may not know what these terms mean. As a reporter or media member now instead of an athlete, you need to be able to drop all of that jargon or be able to explain it in a way that someone who doesn’t know that much about baseball will understand. Otherwise, no one other than the serious fans or former players will know what you are talking about and you don’t want that to happen. Ryan put it best when referring to hockey, he said “You need to appeal to fans that may not know all of the little intricacies of hockey.” If you are able to rope them in and have them understand and enjoy what you’re talking about, then you’re set up well.

Another big theme I took away from this seminar had to do with social media. As I’ve talked about in previous posts about other seminars, I’m very interested in the social media side of journalism and how athletes, the media and fans interact on Twitter and I think Ryan sets a good example of how to promote yourself on Twitter.

You hear it a lot nowadays about how potential employers always look at your social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) when deciding whether or not to hire you. How you act on these sites and how you portray yourself on these sites goes a long way in showing these employers who you are. Ryan touched on the fact that a lot of the people he works with now in the media found him appealing because he was outspoken on Twitter. A lot of people seem to think being outspoken on Twitter is a bad thing and that people don’t like when you constantly put your opinions out there, and it can be a bad thing. But not always. As Ryan put it, you can have rational, intelligent conversations with fans and media on Twitter as long as both sides are respectful of the other’s opinion (which I acknowledge doesn’t always happen). Many times you’ll see the athlete or media member always shooting down the ideas or opinions of fans because the athlete thinks they know better or the fan is just being a troll, and this doesn’t accomplish anything. But if you respect each other’s opinion and continually have good conversations and debate, you show that you are both knowledgeable of your sport and respectful of others, two things that can help greatly when those employers come looking.

Put yourself out there (intelligently) on social media, don’t be afraid to ask the tough questions, and be respectful of and get to know the athletes you are talking to. Among other things, this is what I took away from Dalen and Ryan. Sure it helps to have played the sport you’re talking about, but if you do these things and do them well, then it shouldn’t matter whether you are a former athlete or you’ve never played a sport in your life.

Ashley Boitz posted on April 19, 2016 at 1:13 pm

To say that to be a good at a job in sports media is like saying, “ because this guy was a great player, he’ll be a great coach.” Which is just false.

I think it helps to have played the sport in at a competitive level because like Dalen Cuff said, he’s telling us what we aren’t hearing from an insider’s perspective. One thing Dalen said that really resonated with me is that he can’t even play basketball he had quite. I felt the same way; I don’t play soccer anymore, because if I’m playing at the highest level it isn’t fun. Now he has flipped to the other side of the camera and seems to seem it’s a whole other ball game within it’s self. As I see if playing a sport is playing doing sports media is doing sports media: they are two different jobs in a category, sort of like a banana and a apple are both fruits, but not the same thing.

Often times as a player you can be sensitive to reporters questions because you put so much work and care in perfecting your skills for a sport that you feel very connected to it. As a player I do remember times thinking to myself, “ who is this guys and what does he know about what I just went through on field?” However, I don’t think is the fact that that reporter didn’t play soccer that bothered, it was that he did know what he was saying or even asking.

I think that’s the overall lesson, it’s not if you played or didn’t play that sport. It weather or not you have done your research, you know your fact, you can deliver a smart question, and you are entertaining. Listing to Dalen and Cuff and Ryan Whitney speak they were wildly entreating, I was laughing to myself every other time Ryan would speak. At the end of the is doesn’t matter if you played or didn’t play, it matters if you a well informed and can give viewers something they cant get from just watching the game with no sound.

Andrew Battifarano/Judy Cohen/Sarah Kirkpatrick posted on April 19, 2016 at 3:58 pm

Listen to the sixth episode of Smooth JAS! https://soundcloud.com/andrew-battifarano/smooth-jas-episode-6

Vanessa de Beaumont posted on April 19, 2016 at 6:25 pm

“I’m not a writer. My grammar was poor. I didn’t have all of the right commas.”

As I heard these words fall from Ryan Whitney’s lips, I felt my pen give way.

There I was, sleep-deprived and stressed out, chasing a dream which many I had met deemed impossible – writing sports. And there he was, discussing the process by which his opinion, one he “enjoyed expressing,” was ghost written for The Player’s Tribune.

I won’t waste time waxing on about the lack of justice served when athletes proceed to the front of the line simply because of their status or previous on-field (on-court, on-ice, etc.) experience. Nothing can or will change that. But I will briefly state my peace.

Being an athlete has always been, in my opinion, one part genetic predisposition and one part work ethic. I believe writing to be no different.

Call me vain, but it has always been my firmest contention that I was meant to be a writer. Should there be such a thing as destiny, then mine was to be a wordsmith. Regardless of the topic, time or place, I write. Of course practice and instruction have gone long ways to honing my skills, but the fact remains, this is what I was meant to do.

Anyone who chooses to commit themselves to this field has to work at becoming the best. Just as Whitney and fellow guest Dalen Cuff rose to the top amongst other hard-working athletes, however, some of us, by innate capability, inevitably will as well.

Losing the job to a fellow reporter is something that, although I won’t love, I can bear. Losing it to someone who has not undergone the formal training or acquired the necessary and relevant journalism experience, I cannot.

Certainly, I will never pretend that I possess equal or more knowledge about the inner workings of hockey or basketball than Whitney or Cuff. I likely never will. But is reporting, journalism and being a media member in sports solely about wielding the Xs and Os?

“As an analyst, you’re supposed to be an expert,” Cuff explained, reinforcing the importance of being present whenever possible for practices and games.

These men will undoubtedly be classified as experts in their respective sports. They may even be experts in others. As Cuff mentioned, he has great interests in soccer, and although I have a limited scope of knowledge on the sport, it seemed to me that he knew a great deal. He never played professionally or even collegiately, but I won’t disqualify him from reaching the “expert” status should he put the time and effort in.

In fact, I won’t disqualify myself or any of my classmates from reaching that status – athlete or otherwise.

My peer Ashley Boitz makes a tremendous comparison between athletes as media and athletes as coaches. Although knowledge and experience with the game will lend so much to the coaching process, as it does to work in media, there remains so much more, including, but not limited to, technical aspects such as lede writing or reading off of a teleprompter – both nuances of the field that Cuff admitted he was initially lacking.

And while those can be taught on-the-job, facets such as articulate phrasing won’t be.

Much like the Language Acquisition Device which predisposes us all to learn a variety of tongues at a young age, I believe that learning certain portions of the media field in a formal setting, working with professors and fellow students, is a crucial state of skill development.

One simply can’t go back and tweak their strange shooting mechanics (otherwise Shawn Marion likely would have), and one simply can’t rewind and acquire those aforementioned intangibles.

Which is not to say that an athlete (or anyone who doesn’t dedicate themselves to the field early on) won’t be successful or talented (notably separate things). The outcome, the product, the polished, final result of a reporter, however, will be substantially different.

My point: although it seemed to me that Cuff in particular viewed his on-court experience as a differentiating advantage to his work, I believe that my time spent building on my craft at an institution such as Boston University too provides a leg up.

Bottom line: rightly or wrongly, they balance each other out. Cuff seemed, in a roundabout way, to agree.

When I asked both men about the value of journalism, he replied that he could have benefited from some. But upon entering work in media, he didn’t feel unqualified. He simply presumed his minutes on the hardwood would sufficiently fill the gaps.

The state of sports media has proven his assumption to be true. I, myself, tune in to watch former athletes commentate and analyze the sports I love. It doesn’t mean that they’re the only ones capable of filling that role.

As a woman who spends a great deal of time writing about football, I already know that my credibility in the way of on-field experience will be none. At some point or another, most men have lined up for at least one snap of the pigskin. Obviously, I have not.

Because I staunchly contend that I bring a variety of other tools to what I do, however, I won’t accept being considered the second or even third option.

I’ve dressed for the job I want (in a blazer, not shoulder pads). I’ve spent countless hours honing my craft (with a tablet, not tackles). I’ve dedicated my education to telling a story the best way possible, and that’s precisely what I plan to do.

So to athletes untrained in media, I say this: quitting your day job does not grant you automatic entry into mine.

Julie Aiello posted on April 19, 2016 at 9:13 pm

When Ryan Whitney and Dalen Cuff visited our class last week, I was impressed by just how passionate the two were about working in the journalism profession.

We see some terrible “analysts” on game day shows, none of which I will name, who don’t really have any business being up on that stage or holding that mic on the podium. The simple fact of the matter is, I believe, if you have the desire and knowledge, you should be able to pursue a career in journalism. That someone is a former athlete should not affect how viewers or colleagues view that person’s dedication to the profession.

I do think athletes can be incredible sources of knowledge on certain sports topics. Not only have they followed a game for as long as they have been an athlete, they have actually played it and lived it. When journalists and analysts speak about a sport they played, they are drawing on all kinds of first-hand experiences and information, which can give what they’re saying a more personal touch or provide a unique perspective.

Jessica Mendoza is a great example of a former-athlete-turned-sports-analyst. Her knowledge of the game of baseball/softball is immense and in my opinion that helps make her perspective interesting to listeners.

No two personalities are the same, and I don’t think they we can lump everyone who has played a sport into one category. I have teammates from college who I think could be successful analysts. I also have teammates who couldn’t explain why a coach took out a pitcher in the third inning even if I handed them the reasoning on a piece of paper. When we view sports teams as being microcosms of society, it’s easier to see why former athletes can and cannot make great analysts and journalists. It ultimately depends on the person’s experience and passion, just as it does for any non-athlete who wants to pursue a career in sports journalism. Going off of that, I don’t think that former athletes should have a one-up on everyone else. That’s where I see us running into trouble with former athletes who turn out to be very poor analysts/journalists. So just as being a former athlete should not be a roadblock to someone getting hired in the sports journalism profession, it should also not be a catalyst for someone getting hired.

Essentially, I think one’s merits should be the sole factor for hiring someone as a sports journalist/analyst. A person’s playing experience should not be a reason to immediately hire or deny him or her the job.

Taylor DiChello posted on April 19, 2016 at 9:20 pm

While it’s not necessary by any means to be a high level athlete before commenting on other high level athletes, it’s certainly a plus. As journalists, we are taught to tell a story from every possible angle and being an athlete who talks or writes about other athletes is certainly a credible and interesting angle.

I know I have an extremely biased opinion being a college athlete, but I’ve also experienced life as just a college student. The benefits definitely outweigh the negatives when it comes to college athletics. Before I walked on to the diving team, I didn’t have a reason to do homework at a reasonable hour or in a timely fashion. I didn’t have the drive to accomplish many tasks throughout a day because there was always “tomorrow” to get something done. I had only lived the structured life that an athlete lives and I didn’t know what to do with all of the extra time college life gave me. I hated it.

So, Cuff is right when he says that the work ethic of an athlete stands out because I noticed it in myself. After walking on to the dive team, I had more work to do and less time to get it done, but my grades were higher and I was more determined to succeed than I had been before. I was passionate about both my athletics and my studies. Since this experience was extremely positive for me overall, it’s difficult for me to find a negative side to being an athlete who enters the journalism world.

As Timmy said, playing a sport means that you know the language inside and out, which means that you need to be able to explain those terms to people that don’t understand. But wouldn’t it be better to sound more experienced and use those terms, especially when talking with athletes, instead of having to research certain facts and making sure you know enough about the game.

It’s important for all fans to understand what you’re talking about, but it speaks highly of your credibility if you are able to use the jargon and explain to people who don’t know as much.

However, I don’t think any of us in this class needs to worry about succeeding in whatever we decide to do, whether we are athletes or not. Every single one of us has had a passion in our life that has driven us to want to be the best. Maybe like Professor Shorr says, we haven’t all found the one thing we are better than everyone else at, but we are all destined to find it some day. Graduating from BU is already our leg up into the sports journalism world, athletics is just a plus.

Jake De Vries posted on April 19, 2016 at 11:48 pm

I think this week’s big question goes back to the discussion we had about experts a couple weeks ago. It’s all about perception.

Does the general viewer/reader view your work as credible? I think if we are speaking for the majority of viewers and the average viewer, a former athlete-turned-journalist is seen as more credible. High-level athletes understand the game in a way that most viewers cannot, and viewers find that interesting. It does not mean that non-athletes can’t do the job as well, but I think it has become a trend that viewers enjoy. Former athletes have become a necessary, maybe essential, component to the broadcast of any game. We usually bank on the athlete being the “color guy” on the broadcast, but more often than people realize, the “play-by-play guy” is a former athlete as well.

CBS superstar football (and golf and college basketball) broadcaster Jim Nantz played golf at the University of Houston. Who knew?

Chris McKendry, SportsCenter anchor and host of ESPN’s Grand Slam tennis coverage, played tennis on scholarship at Drexel University.

Not a PBP guy, but worth noting… Stephen A. Smith played DII college basketball.

Again, you don’t have to be a former athlete to talk about sports. But I think former athletes certainly have a leg up. The major networks especially want someone who can talk the talk and also someone who has walked the walk. It just makes viewers perceive them as more credible.

As far as media criticizing the athletes, Ryan Whitney, Dalen Cuff, and many of our other guests have advised along the lines of “You’ve got to call it like you see it without putting personal judgment in it.”

This is tough to gauge though, because a former athlete will likely see a play differently than a non-athlete. A former college athlete will see the play differently than a former pro athlete who will see the play differently than a championship-winning coach. Many experts will have countless viewpoints of the same play. There’s no clear-cut way to define how you call out an athlete for playing poorly, but the most important thing is to be fair and not take your criticism out-of-line.

I think what any journalist should ask themselves is “OK, if I were the one that made that mistake, what could someone say about me that I would consider fair and warranted?” Put yourself in the athlete’s shoes.

As Taylor admitted, I’m probably biased as well. While I believe that anyone can be qualified to report and criticize athletes and sport itself, I do believe that former athletes have an advantage in their understanding of the game and the viewer’s perception of them.

Emily Tillo posted on April 20, 2016 at 8:40 am

In exactly one month from today I’ll be working inside the ropes—except this time around I won’t be the one teeing it up. As an incoming marketing associate in the communications department for the PGA TOUR, I’ll be working in the media centers at tournaments, interviewing players as well as handling their various interactions with journalists and reporters, among my other responsibilities.

As a player of the game at the Division-I level, I am confident that my knowledge of the inner workings of golf is going to be a huge advantage in my new role. After all, as we’ve heard in previous seminars, one of the biggest skills a reporter must have is the ability to develop relationships with players—in our very first seminar Providence Bruins’ Austin Czarnik admitted, “If you can build relationships it will only help you later.”

We’ve discussed throughout the semester how it’s becoming more difficult to even step foot in a locker room or clubhouse, but I believe being a former player automatically helps ease the tension between a player and a reporter. Like Jake, I believe former players automatically have a leg up. But, as I’ll get to later on in this post—as Professor Shorr alluded to—getting your foot in the door is only half the battle.

Take, for instance, golf reporter David Feherty. Most of you, unless you watch golf, will not recognize this man’s name. But, I can guarantee you that once turn on a PGA TOUR broadcast and hear his color commentary, you’ll never forget him. Feherty was a former professional golfer on the European and PGA Tours, so he knows what it’s like to have a putt on the line that’s worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. His on-camera chemistry with players during post-round interviews is also undeniably spectacular.

Feherty, in my opinion, is one of the most skilled interviewers because of his wit and sense of humor. Players naturally open up to him. It’s incredible to watch. But he’s also not afraid to tell it like he sees it. “It looks like a one-armed man trying to wrestle a snake in a phone booth,” he once said in regards to Jim Furyk’s swing. Or, here’s another one for you, this time about Gary Player: “Gary thinks he invented fitness because he used to do push-ups on the airplane. He’s just upset because you can’t win a major any more with a low, flat hook and a Napoleon complex.”

Now—I’m going to be totally honest here—if someone were in Feherty’s exact position that was not a former player but had the same wit and sense of humor, I would not view this person as being as credible as Feherty. I’m openly admitting my bias here, okay.

But I urge you to think about this example more closely for a second. Do you honestly think that a journalist who wasn’t a former player could get away with saying some of the things that Feherty says? Probably not. Viewers would most likely wonder, “What gives this reporter the right to crack these jokes?”

I think the bigger issue this small example hints at is the fact that, as a society, we need to recognize our biases and remember, as Vanessa put it, former athletes are not “the only ones capable of filling that role.”

However, I’d like to add one element to Vanessa’s argument, and that is the following: there is no substitute for hard work.

David Feherty may have gotten his initial job thanks to his professional golfing status, but it’s not like he was guaranteed that job for eternity. He had to work hard to gain credibility as a reporter. The door may have been opened for him, but he needed to put in the time and effort to keep that door open. And that’s exactly what he did.

Getting your foot in the door is one thing, but in the cutthroat world of sports journalism, it’s anyone’s game once the studio lights turn on. “You have to do your work harder. When you grind it out and do your work people being to realize that,” ComcastSportsnet’s Dalen Cuff said.

Last Friday, I attended the “Play it Forward” sports summit, hosted by Andrea Kremer, and one quote that stood out to me came from ESPN senior writer Don Van Natta:

“Journalism is a test of will. How badly do you want it?”

Everyone may say they want it, but will they actually do what it takes to get it? True journalists—regardless of whether they were former athletes or not—are those who are willing to put in the work because they know their job is never guaranteed. Hard work is the only thing that truly speaks for itself.

Rachel Blauner posted on April 20, 2016 at 9:51 am

I may have an opposite view of most athletes, but I do not think that being good a high-level level correlates to being good at talking about that sport, especially on television.

The reason I say this is because I agree with the point Ashley made- is it’s the same concept of a great athlete doesn’t always make a great coach. I have learned in my four years here, after taking journalism classes and getting some experience in broadcast at Channel 7, that being in front of the camera is not easy and it does not always come naturally. I always thought that since I was an athlete my entire life who played multiple sports, that it would be a cakewalk to talk about sports as my profession someday.

Boy, was I wrong.

I still get nervous shooting a broadcast reel, just like any other student and intern learning the ropes. Do I think that I have a small advantage because I’ve been following sports my whole life, somewhat. Does experience being a leader and being in an competitive environment help? Sure. But, my advantage does not come because of my physical abilities as a soccer player, it comes from experiences I’ve gotten from game.

Playing a sport does not make me an expert in that sport because there will always be someone who knows more about it than I do, as Jake hinted at. Yes, I’ll be able to talk about how it feels to win a big or lose a big game, but I still have to learn the tricks of the trade, the tools to put together a professional sports broadcast, just like any other broadcaster.

I have so much respect for people that can get in front of the camera and do not seem nervous at all- it takes a lot of confidence. As Vanessa said, she felt as she was meant to be a writer and because of her hard work, she is great at it. I grew up knowing I wanted to be a soccer player so I practiced almost every day. I did not know that I wanted to work in sports journalism.

I guess the takeaway I got from reading everyone’s comments is that no job is guaranteed, you have to work for it.

People who write for the The Daily Free Press practice writing everyday just like Taylor, Emily, and I practice our sports. Once my soccer career is over, I’ll have to practice broadcasting just as much. I will not be given a job just because I am an athlete, I’ll have to work for it.

Fair and square.

Stephanie Tran posted on April 20, 2016 at 9:57 am

Athletes turned on-air personalities can be a hit or miss. I think it’s largely dependent on an individual’s comfortably factor in front of the camera, but also their technique of explaining to the viewers what is going on. These journalists were once athletes before, so I think sometimes it becomes harder to explain things that happen so naturally when they used to play to viewers watching at home.

I’ve seen my share of athletes attempt to change their careers and try out being a journalist. Some fail and some do succeed. I don’t think their experience having played a sport gives them any upper-hand in the sports journalism industry because they still need to prove that they can be on camera and know what they are talking about.

This semester I’ve logged my share of Celtics games and been able to critique how well Brian Scalabrine has adjusted to becoming an on-air television analyst. For the most part he brings the energy and offers helpful knowledge, but he could work on how he conducts his interviews. I cringe at the sounds of “Tell me about…” or “Talk about that play…” I know Scalabrine probably never got any training, but there are far better ways to ask an actual question.

I’ve never been a fan of athletes who become on-air journalists. Maybe I’m just bitter that some athletes never earned a degree in college because they chose to focus on their athletic career rather than focusing on school. I guess that puts into question of why I’m in school if people who are successful never graduated college. Am I just wasting my time? I don’t feel like I am based on the fundamentals of journalism I’ve learned in the classroom. I’ve always felt that an education was more important than stuff like athletics. Don’t get me wrong I do like watching sports, but I never want to be in a situation where an athlete retires with no degree and has no idea what to do next.

This isn’t the case for Dalen Cuff who graduated from Columbia University as a D1 athlete. Ryan Whitney never got a chance to finish college before he got drafted into the NHL, but he did mention that he hopes to complete his degree. I give props to these guys because they’ve done their share of work to get where they are right now. These two guys were passionate about being on-air sports analysts and they did their homework on how to be successful.

One thing I’ve noticed in many of our guest speakers is the fact that a lot of them never studied journalism as undergraduates. I think this is telling only because we truly never know where our lives are going to end up. As an athlete you imagine yourself playing the game for the rest of your life, but that’s never the case. At some point in life a new passion grows and you chase after it. Like Cuff put it, “If you’re passionate about something, you got to go follow your passion. You can suppress it as long as you want, but in the end it’s going to win out. If it doesn’t win out you’re going to be a miserable person.”

Sometimes it’s not that simple, but it’s worth the risk.

Anna Padilla posted on April 20, 2016 at 10:39 am

When is experience not a plus? Yes, there are bad analysts and announcers who were once pro athletes or coaches…such as Ray Lewis or Dick Butkus mentioned by Professor Shorr. And even though color people like these two can be ridiculous they also have something that you and I don’t have, experience.

They may be absurd and not the most eloquent of speakers but they still understand the perspective of the athlete/coach through and through. The debate about whether or not their position in the media comes from privilege is not something I think is worth talking about. They are on T.V. and that is that. Is it unfair? Maybe. But thus, that is life.

But back to the idea of experience. I think that this is the biggest point in the pro column for former athlete/coach media members. Cuff confirmed this idea when he said that his D1 basketball experience was huge for him in his career. But this doesn’t mean you can count on your experience or you that you should use it as a bragging right to your subject.

“Don’t show off.” “You are ignorant,” said Cuff. I think this was really key to hear a former high-level athlete broadcaster say. I also think that many of today’s analysts need to remember this.

It is not about you. Your time is over and the glory days are in the past. Viewers will listen to you, one because you are on air, but also because they respect you for what you have done. Now, I think, it is up to you to keep my attention and respect by putting aside your athlete ego. Keep your experience and your niche insights. But it is important to remember that you are not playing or coaching anymore.

But past this, what struck me in seminar last week was that the burden lies not only on the analyst but also the audience. We have to remember these broadcasters aren’t trained journalist. They may not have grown up in the media world or have received journalistic degrees. They are athletes and coaches and expecting them to be something they aren’t is a inappropriate and unfair to do so.

The athlete announcer needs to let go of their past. We need to let go of some of our expectations. And we all need to remember that announcing, analysis and broadcasting doesn’t change the game or the score. We are used to the rumbling noise and the outrageous half-time shows. But at the end of the day we are all there for one reason, the game.

Cuff made an interesting point about how his understanding of the game is far more important than his criticism of it. He talked about how if you, as a journalist, don’t have the broadcaster analyzing in your ear are you able to write about what happened? Do you know the game well enough without anyone else talking about it?

Athletes have their experience and journalists have their, hopefully, extensive knowledge. It is hard to not be okay with those two worlds combining to try and give us better sports journalism.

Gabbie Chartier posted on April 20, 2016 at 10:41 am

Does being an athlete give someone a different perspective in reporting on a game? Yes. Does it give someone a better perspective? Not necessarily.

I’ll admit, it was pretty frustrating as a non-athlete to have two former athletes come to our class to talk to us about their careers in sports reporting. Neither Dalen Cuff nor Ryan Whitney went to school for journalism, yet Cuff has a great gig covering the Celtics with ComcastSports and Whitney’s career is just starting off, but it seems he has big plans for the future. But like I said, it’s frustrating for someone like me, who pays $60K a year for my journalism degree, to compete and even lose out on jobs to former athletes who are not trained journalists.

After the seminar, I can look back now and see how having both former athletes and trained journalists doing reporting is beneficial. You can’t really do analysis of a game with just reporters because they may not see things a former athlete might. You can’t do analysis with just former athletes because they may not have the training to keep a broadcast running smoothly. But, the marriage of both takes the analysis to the next level. I like watching Tom Caron and Tim Wakefield do analysis of Red Sox games for that reason- you get the best of both worlds.

However, I think it’s important to point out that just because someone is a former athlete does not mean he or she is better suited to report on a sport than a non-athlete. If you asked Whitney to analyze hockey or even soccer, I’m sure he’d do a better job than a non-athlete. His being part of a team and in-game experience gives him a unique perspective. But, if you asked Whitney to analyze a track meet over a non-athlete, I’m not so sure Whitney would be better suited, especially if the reporter has been covering track for a while.

Sometimes, being a former athlete and covering the sport you actually played doesn’t even give you an advantage. It makes me wonder if some of these guys would even have their job as analysts had they not played a sport. Just the other day, Kathryn Tappen of NBC Sports called out Mike Millbury for his shoddy analysis of a Florida Panthers game. Although Tappen played sports in college, Millbury undoubtably has an advantage in analyzing hockey, having played for and coached the Bruins. After Millbury gave a completely obvious answer to Tappen’s question, she asked him, “they actually pay you money to make a comment like that?” Go Kathryn and thanks for saying what we were all thinking. Here’s the link: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/kathryn-tappen-roasts-mike-milbury—they-actually-pay-you-money—-video-023140791.html

I definitely feel Tappen’s frustration. If you’re not going to add anything valuable to a broadcast, don’t be in it, regardless of your athletic past. I do think there’s a fine line between putting someone on the air because they’re a good reporter that also happens to be a former athlete and putting someone on the air just because they’re a former athlete. I think Cuff is a good embodiment of the former.

As Cuff said, “Analysts are experts and they need expert knowledge.” Whether one attains that expert knowledge through school or through playing the game doesn’t matter. I think both offer unique perspectives. But I do think a line should be drawn and we should not assume someone who played or coached the game has expert knowledge. I think that’s where journalists, like myself, get frustrated.

Alex/Alex/Zach posted on April 20, 2016 at 11:56 am

Listen to Episode 9 of the Shorr Report here!

https://soundcloud.com/user-872962998/the-shorr-report-episode-9

Natalie Robson posted on April 20, 2016 at 12:03 pm

Although I was out from this weeks class—I had a job interview for the summer, like we joke about ya gotta pay the bills. I think that I can speak to the draw of being an athlete and yearning for athletic involvement.

I think it is fair to say one of the most challenging points of my life was coming to the crossroads of life after tennis. For the majority of my life I was identified as the tennis player—I started at six and played nationally until last year. This has always been my identifier—I have been natbirdtennis on social media since the dawn of myspace. So where was I to go when my senior season at UConn came to a close? What was I going to do to quite frankly stay relevant.

I think it’s almost a naturally progression to want to move into sports after you have dedicated so much of your life to it. I think there is a level of understanding that athletes have with other athletes—it is a normal progression to stay involved. That being said, why does it matter who is covering sports? Do I have to be a criminal to cover crime? Or a politician to cover politics? If you are qualified and able to get information to the audience, it shouldn’t matter. It might be easier to commentate on a game or a match if you were an athlete—you might have better insight as to why that player did what they did, but at the end of the day that’s icing on the cake.

Like I said earlier, sports journalism feels natural to me, you are still involved with likeminded people [in the sense that they are passionate about sports] and at some level I think that you still follow the same regimented path that you were always accustomed to. Let me explain. There is no stranger feeling than having your entire day planed out from morning workouts, to class, to team stretch and practice to going to a life where you are not held to time constraints. Days seem to just go on and on if my days aren’t packed to capacity. I feel like as a sports journalist you are also forced to conform to those same rules as an athlete. You attend practices, games and post match or game duties—some days it probably feels like you are back in the saddle.

Justin Akiva posted on April 20, 2016 at 12:22 pm

“When Jay Williams started he was really bad. He got a great opportunity so he didn’t care,” said Dalen Cuff. So, to answer Professor Shorr’s question. No you don’t have to be a high level athlete to truly understand what is going on on the court and how to comment on TV, radio, or in the media. It is a lot more then that. High level athletes will always understand the game in a better way than non-high level athletes. However, it doesn’t mean they are always going to be better at analyzing or calling the game. They will have more knowledge than their opponent because they lived the sport, but they will never be better than them unless they practice and practice some more. Using Cuffs example, Jay Williams was one of the best basketball players Duke University has ever seen, but it does not mean that once he finished doing terribly in the NBA, he was able to jump on the set and kill it. He had to make mistakes and fail plenty of times, just like he did as an athlete, to get good on the set.

However, like Cuff, I agree that athletes do have an upper hand in the field and it is a huge bonus. If they carry on the work ethic they had while playing their sport, than they can be at the “pro” level of their analyst career. They understand the game better than anyone else and that is not something that can be argued against. It was their life for so long and they studied it each day. It was their major in college and their job when they entered the real world, at least for Ryan Whitney. Of course they know more about what the jargon is and all the terminology because it was their language that they studied in school. But that doesn’t guarantee that they would communicate better or more effectively than anyone. They know it all, but how can they share their knowledge with everyone else? That is the challenge for them.

They have to carry the passion they had for the game to whatever their next step is in life. It isn’t just a coincidence that the ones who you usually see on television are the ones who were considered the best of their generation or the hardest worker while they were in their respective leagues. For example, look at everyone who calls or analyzes games for the NBA. Charles Barkley, Reggie Miller, Grant Hill, Chris Webber, Isiah Thomas and so many other greats. I don’t mean to generalize, but it seems to be a common theme. Some people say they are not that great at sports analysis, but they have made it to the biggest screens in sports. I even just heard a rumor about Kobe Bryant coming on to the air. One of the hardest workers to ever step on a court. Talk about a common theme.

Some people fail to realize that these athletes know a lot more than just the Xs and Os as Vanessa put it. Half of them played the game because they grew up watching it and learning every intricate detail about it. It goes back to our seminar when we talked about if athletes should be role models. ESPN has its analyst spitting out stats 24/7 and I bet most players in their leagues could do the same thing off the top of their head. That’s because like the die hard fans, these pros were the same way when they were kids. They knew every stat about every player and every team because they wanted to be just like them. It’s not like one day they just decided, “oh I want be a professional basketball or hockey player.” They loved it before they knew that was in their future. It doesn’t mean you have to be an athlete to be a professional analyst, but they do have an upper hand and deserve more credit. More athletes could be doing this career if they had the same love and passion for the game that they do for their post-playing goals.

Dalen and Ryan explained that being an athlete in this industry is definitely an advantage, but that isn’t where it stops. “As an analyst you have to be an expert,” Cuff said. However, he wasn’t just referencing being an expert about the game. Now they have to take the next step and become experts on how to convey their knowledge and connect with the viewer without sounding like someone who is just rattling off stats or an old retired athlete trying to relive their glory days. They have to show their love the same way they did on the court or field with blood sweat and tears.

Haley K. King posted on April 20, 2016 at 5:35 pm

While I don’t think it’s necessary—by any means—to be a former athlete to comment on TV, radio—or anywhere else in the media for that matter—I would say it’s certainly easier to land a job as a commentator if you are a former sports star.

It seems to be the go-to career for retired athletes, which is understandable considering most of these former pros dedicated their entire lives to their respective sports, so it makes sense that they would continue with a second career in the same space. And I think for commentators that weren’t former athletes they need to work harder to prove themselves and earn a level of respect and clout that former athletes start with.
While some former players can be good additions to the broadcast, you also have some Joe Morgan’s in the media landscape. What’s nice about having former athletes be part of the media team, is a lot of them understand what it’s like on the other side of the mic or broadcast. But I agree that it certainly depends on who you’re talking about. In the same way that not every player will make a great coach, not every player will make a good analyst. Not only do they need an in-depth understanding to add to the broadcast—they need to possess an on-air personality that is captivating, intriguing, concise and intelligent. They can’t just understand what they’re trying to say—they need to be able to convey it with gusto. That’s my biggest problem with a lot of former athletes once they get into radio or TV commentary. A handful of them were once good players—Curt Schilling immediately comes to mind—but are painful to listen to and don’t necessarily add any insight.
On the other end of the spectrum, you have a guy like Dalen Cuff who only made it to division 1 basketball at Columbia but who speaks with such authority and precision and, putting it nicely, blew Ryan Whitney—a former NFL player of 11 years—out of the water in terms of rhetoric and delivery (yeah, yeah he went to Columbia, I know).
As far as critiquing former teammates goes—I would actually argue its easier to critique your friends that you used to play alongside because you know them well, and they’ll understand that you’re just doing your job. Which I think Cuff would agree with based on the answer he gave last week.
To address the question about whether you need to be in the locker room to have a valid voice or not, I would say not necessarily. But I definitely think you need to be able to add to the conversation somehow. For example, Cuff said that during his first broadcasting gig for Columbia, he played the role of the color guy, feeding the audience anecdotes of guys he had played alongside a year prior. Honestly, fans eat that shit up. We talked about this a bit during beat writing, fans care about David Ortiz getting a funky hair cut or what Xander’s morning routine is. Having guys that have that inside info definitely fuels the color commentary they can add to a broadcast—but they need to have a deep understanding of the game at the same time. So no, you don’t necessarily need to be inside the locker room, but you need to be able to tell stories and anecdotes that the average Joe doesn’t already know.

Doyle Somerby posted on April 21, 2016 at 11:24 am

I think people are asking the wrong question. Yeah it is nice to have a high level background within the sport that you want to pursue a career in. However, not all athletes that are interested in the media, should have a job in the media. For example just because Jason Varitek was a magician behind the plate or Ryan Whitney could run a power play with the elite of the NHL or Tom Brady can dominate the NFL year after year, that does not mean they could be successful in the studio. Both Ryan and Dalen said the same thing. There first time on air was scary and they froze. It takes certain personalities to entertain people.
Ryan is hysterical. I have been lucky enough to get to know him on a personal level and see him around the rink. He is quick and witty and a good guy. However, there was a big difference in his personality than Dalen’s. Dalen was well spoken and demanded attention every time he spoke. I can see why he does a great job on TV. Ryan is a conservative approach, he is quiet and while he communicate well he isn’t as aggressive as Dalen. Ryan is perfect on twitter, and quest gigs on the Players Tribune. However, commentating night in and night out might not be his path.
Another example of this is last night I was watching the NHL playoffs and between periods the NBCSN company had Gregory Campbell on the show. He is an NHL veteran and well respected across the hockey world. Again, someone that has all the experience int he world, yet, he was quiet and imitated on air. This isn’t a response to put athletes on blast, because I personally know that I do get nervous when the light turns on.
It goes to show that while experience is nice to have, there is a long checklist of other essentials of how to be successful. Practice, practice, practice. Airtime is needed and getting comfortable is essential in order to be successful. Watching commentary it is easy to get uncomfortable when you see shy people or guys that don’t sound confident. There are plenty of people out there that share great information or behind the scenes information but it is not appreciated as much because of the delivery. Colby Cohen is one of those guys. He has great things to say, yet he talks to slow and does not sound confident within himself, so the audience disregards him sometimes.
No matter if it Colby Cohen, Ryan Whitney or any other high level hockey player or a person with not as much background, breaking down mistakes is going to be difficult. These NHL players are fast, skilled, and still playing as the game evolves. It is hard to critique but the only way to do it is to accept your career path now and do your job the best you can. That was the best advice that Dalen and Ryan gave. It is hard for anyone so the quicker you accept your fate the better off you will be. So, while being a “high level athlete” might give you the first shot in the booth, it does not guarantee them a successful career.

Dakota Randall posted on April 21, 2016 at 12:35 pm

There are two sides to this coin.

First, I hate this idea that if you’re not an athlete, then you don’t have the authority to speak on sports or athletics.

Do you have to have worked in the government to cover politics?
Do you have to have been a cop to be on the crime beat?
Do you have to have founded your own business to write for the business section?

There’s a reason people get into journalism instead of becoming professional in the fields that they cover. There’s an interest and fascination with that particular profession, and the journalist (hopefully) wants to learn as much as they can about that profession, and educate their audience in an informative and entertaining fashion.

Sure, there are plenty of examples of ex athletes that enter either print or broadcast journalism that do a great job. Many times they provide another layer of depth to the conversation that is difficult to obtain for outsiders. But there are also journalists who didn’t play the sport professionally that can do the same. Tom Verducci is a great example of this, though there are many others.

One interesting point the two guests brought up, and Timmy mentioned this in his post, is that ex athletes have a number of hurdles to overcome if they want to get in the field. One of those is the use of jargon. Dennis Eckersly is a classic example of this. I love his jargon and think he’s a riot to listen to, but the casual fan probably doesn’t know what “high cheese with some hair on it” means….

Now, while I think there is no problem with being a journalist that wasn’t a professional athlete, the reality is (especially in broadcast) that many ex athletes have a faster track towards getting the jobs that we dream about. It used to be primarily on the national scale, but now we’re seeing smaller, local outlets being flooded with ex members of the Patriots, Red Sox, etc.

This is pretty discouraging. And while you should never let that deter you from your dreams, and great things really can come to those that work hard for it, it honestly feels that having your end-game be a career as a professional broadcast analyst, especially on the national level, may be a little misguided. I’m having a very hard time coming up with many examples of professional analysts on any legitimate show that didn’t at please play at a high level collegiately. The ones that didn’t, are usually old-guard that have been there forever, like Peter Gammons, Berman, etc.

Perhaps the biggest thing I took out of this seminar was when Dalen stressed to really inform yourself before doing interviews. Your relationships with coaches / athletes will really determine your fate, and constantly acting like you know everything can really be off-putting.

As long as you approach these interviews and relationships with the mindset and impression that you are well-informed, educated, and, most of all, eager to learn… you should be able to eliminate most of the issues that come with having not been a professional athlete.

Dakota Woodworth posted on April 21, 2016 at 3:02 pm

This is a tricky one. As an athlete I like to think that I know the game I play more than someone who has never played. But I can also appreciate the fact that people who aren’t necessarily athletes can be extraordinary students of the game. I’ve gone in mental circles about this while reading everyone else’s comments. I think that knowing the game and understanding the game are two pretty different things. I think that Ryan Whitney, after playing for 11 years in The Show after a lifetime of working to get there, can understand how athletes feel after a devastating loss or after a playoff win.
But loss is loss right? Loss is getting rejected from your dream job, loss is failing a final you prepared weeks for, loss is your dog dying.
That’s what my human brain says anyway. My athlete brain screams something different.
My athlete brain screams that no one that hasn’t lost 6-3 to Minnesota in the National Championship game has any idea what it feels like. My athlete brain says that you can’t replicate the feeling of scoring against BC for the first time with an out-of-sport experience.
But like I said before, I think that knowing and understanding are two different things. Ryan Whitney understands the feelings and emotions that occur during a game or when you get traded, or when you eventually have to retire. But, like a lot of other people have already said, without practice, he’ll never be a Jay Bilas. Great athletes understand the game; they understand players decision-making and the inconsistencies and the way athletes feel around reporters after great games and bad ones.
On the other side of things, I think that anyone can know the game. Anyone that puts the time in can know the x’s and o’s of a forecheck and a penalty kill. Players that play the game already know this stuff – hopefully. But it all takes practice, too. This is the mental circle I’m talking about.
I completely understand people’s frustrations with athletes getting jobs just because they played the game. But I also don’t think that that ever really happens. I think those athletes get the job because of all the other intangibles they possess. Ah. Mental circle.